10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I don't agree about T:TLA. Granted the show is fantastic, but my new DirecTV package includes some like extra Nick channel where they're always playing T:TLA, and I start watching them and begin noticing some of the flaws.

I don't remember what Korra actually retconned, though. I know they clarified a lot of stuff about the Spirit World, but I can't recall off the top of my head what they actually retconned.
    The spirit monsters changing mood making them evil or good. Made absolutely no sense since spirits in A:TLA were never swayed by mood. There are flaws (won't spoil any if you haven't seen all of it) but it's usually something minor and you can make some sense of it... Really want to use an example but afraid it might spoil the show for you.
    Hey everyone

Oh, I didn't mean to say I hadn't seen T:TLA before. I have watched the entire series, several times. I meant now that I have, I can see the flaws when I'm rewatching them, again.

As for the spirits, it kind of makes sense. In all fairness, they never said the spirits DIDN'T work that way in T:TLA, we just didn't see it. Not only is it more than just Aang this time around interacting with them, but there's all this crazy shit happening directly to them. While in T:TLA, the spirits aren't really threatened by the Fire Nation.

Also they made kind of a big deal about Korra's dad destroying that forest being the trigger for the spirits to really get pissed off. Before that they did kind of establish that, while the spirits could become dark, Vaatu's imprisonment brought the balance to the Spirit World. But once the forest gets destroyed, in conjunction with everything else that begins happening, I guess I just think they it makes sense storywise.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-04-28 at 06:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I didn't mean to say I hadn't seen T:TLA before. I have watched the entire series, several times. I meant now that I have, I can see the flaws when I'm rewatching them, again.

As for the spirits, it kind of makes sense. In all fairness, they never said the spirits DIDN'T work that way in T:TLA, we just didn't see it. Not only is it more than just Aang this time around interacting with them, but there's all this crazy shit happening directly to them. While in T:TLA, the spirits aren't really threatened by the Fire Nation.
    Look at the Owl (forget his name), Koh, any spirit they pissed off did not change. Their attitude changed but they weren't made into pure evil monsters, just based on their emotion like a human in the show would have, no transformation.

The koh fish was taking it's spirit form when Aang fused with it.
    Hey everyone

But...the Owl didn't change dispositions in either series, neither did Koh. Because Koh was already widely considered evil, and the Owl was pretty much neutral anyway. And Jinora wasn't negative toward the Owl thus he didn't become evil.

You also could assume that basic spirits function differently than Koh or the Owl, both of which are established as being supremely old, powerful, and wise. Compared to the random bunny spirit who is Jinora's friend.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-04-28 at 06:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But...the Owl didn't change dispositions in either series, neither did Koh. Because Koh was already widely considered evil, and the Owl was pretty much neutral anyway. And Jinora wasn't negative toward the Owl thus he didn't become evil.

You also could assume that basic spirits function differently than Koh or the Owl, both of which are established as being supremely old, powerful, and wise. Compared to the random bunny spirit who is Jinora's friend.
    Just seemed highly weird for me, out of place is the best way to put it. Also with Iroh being in the Spirit World, surely there are other people who chose the route he did that were spiritual.
    Hey everyone

I haven't seen Korra since Season 2 ended, but I believe they said Iroh specifically chose to go to the Spirit World instead of just dying and randomly showing up there. I guess you're right that others could have done so as well, but logically it wouldn't be many, based on how few know about it as intimately as the Avatar and their crews do. Outside of the fog of lost souls, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen Korra since Season 2 ended, but I believe they said Iroh specifically chose to go to the Spirit World instead of just dying and randomly showing up there. I guess you're right that others could have done so as well, but logically it wouldn't be many, based on how few know about it as intimately as the Avatar and their crews do. Outside of the fog of lost souls, that is.
    Yeah he does decide to go to the Spirit World, Korra being a baby? What happened there, it felt more like symbolism but it also felt literal too.
    Hey everyone

Well Korra was kind of an obnoxious twat most of Season 2, I think it was kind of both.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The new origin of bending established in Kora bugs me.

In A:TLAB they stated that the Moon, Dragons, Giant Moles, and Flying Bison where the original benders that taught their respective bendings to the people. Then in Kora, wih the arc about the first avatar, they describe bending as a power temporarily granted by the giant turtles the original cities of man where built on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna throw something in about Koh being perceived as evil. I just finished reading the last two editions of Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, which is the graphic novel which takes place after the events of Aang's dismantling of the Fire Nation under Ozai's control (deals with Zuko trying to find his mom), and the last edition kinda explains why Koh is the way he is. Overall a very awesome read if you wanna foam at some TLA goodies.

I read somewhere recently that the next book for Korra is gonna be done with teen love drama and focus more on stuff like people living with the spirits and such, like back when Avatar Wan existed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    The new origin of bending established in Kora bugs me.

In A:TLAB they stated that the Moon, Dragons, Giant Moles, and Flying Bison where the original benders that taught their respective bendings to the people. Then in Kora, wih the arc about the first avatar, they describe bending as a power temporarily granted by the giant turtles the original cities of man where built on.
    Kinda agree, but I believe the moles, dragons, flying bisons etc already had those powers, and people taught themself the further arts of bending by mimicking their actions?

Also, I don't think anyone, besides Korra, knows about the original origin of bending. And if people did, the truth might've gotten lost as the years went by and simply took the moles, dragons etc... as the origin of bending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Kinda agree, but I believe the moles, dragons, flying bisons etc already had those powers, and people taught themself the further arts of bending by mimicking their actions?

Also, I don't think anyone, besides Korra, knows about the original origin of bending. And if people did, the truth might've gotten lost as the years went by and simply took the moles, dragons etc... as the origin of bending.
    Well to add to your point if you recall even Wan first learned Fire Bending MASTERY from a dragon.

Everyone else just threw fire after he hung out with the spirits and learned to REALLY use it was when it became so powerful.

That combined with the time/various methods of preserving history AND wars....Yeah...No surprise things got even semi muddled.

Hell look at today. Today we are ALREADY reworking history for various events like WW2 with varioys nations writing their own versions. In even 100 years I bet the bits that remain true will be the biggest parts.

Also the Lion Turtles HAD been demoted to being nothing but legends(remember Aangs reaction in the library upon seeing the statue) so it would also make sense to attribute it to the few animals that naturally bend(and they likely learned mastery from).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Well to add to your point if you recall even Wan first learned Fire Bending MASTERY from a dragon.

Everyone else just threw fire after he hung out with the spirits and learned to REALLY use it was when it became so powerful.

That combined with the time/various methods of preserving history AND wars....Yeah...No surprise things got even semi muddled.

Hell look at today. Today we are ALREADY reworking history for various events like WW2 with varioys nations writing their own versions. In even 100 years I bet the bits that remain true will be the biggest parts.

Also the Lion Turtles HAD been demoted to being nothing but legends(remember Aangs reaction in the library upon seeing the statue) so it would also make sense to attribute it to the few animals that naturally bend(and they likely learned mastery from).
    You do make a point regarding him mastering it from them but they didn't really explain that there were bending animals... It seemed up in the air to me.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    The spirit monsters changing mood making them evil or good. Made absolutely no sense since spirits in A:TLA were never swayed by mood. There are flaws (won't spoil any if you haven't seen all of it) but it's usually something minor and you can make some sense of it... Really want to use an example but afraid it might spoil the show for you.
    Wasn't there that bear spirit that was all angry in TLA? It was at some town near where a forest had been destroyed by some firebenders. The Spirit was rampaging and making people disappear. It wasn't until Aang appeared and soothed the spirit, by reassuring it the people wouldn't keep destroying nature, that it calmed down and released all the people. If I am remembering it correctly that would be an example of it's mood directly affecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post

That is also mostly how I interpreted it. Also the surviving story was the animals not the old history of the lion-turtles. People forget things when passing on history. When Korra saw the original Avatar's memories she saw what actually happened not the history people knew and thought was true.

- - - Updated - - -

You do make a point regarding him mastering it from them but they didn't really explain that there were bending animals... It seemed up in the air to me.
    I'm not sure that needed explicit explaining. We already knew they existed. The scene with the first Avatar and the dragon was awesome because it showed him doing the exact same fire dance that Aang and Zuko had to do which pretty directly made the connection between the bending animals and how the Avatar gained his abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Wasn't there that bear spirit that was all angry in TLA? It was at some town near where a forest had been destroyed by some firebenders. The Spirit was rampaging and making people disappear. It wasn't until Aang appeared and soothed the spirit, by reassuring it the people wouldn't keep destroying nature, that it calmed down and released all the people. If I am remembering it correctly that would be an example of it's mood directly affecting it.

That is also mostly how I interpreted it. Also the surviving story was the animals not the old history of the lion-turtles. People forget things when passing on history. When Korra saw the original Avatar's memories she saw what actually happened not the history people knew and thought was true.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure that needed explicit explaining. We already knew they existed. The scene with the first Avatar and the dragon was awesome because it showed him doing the exact same fire dance that Aang and Zuko had to do which pretty directly made the connection between the bending animals and how the Avatar gained his abilities.
    Good point and well played Arlee, the Solstice episodes are a solid point, forgot about them. I have a feeling bending went even farther back than Lion Turtles but that was before the Avatar existed.

My question is, what about Koh? Can he change (not talking about his faces)?
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Wish the next season would start soonish
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Good point and well played Arlee, the Solstice episodes are a solid point, forgot about them. I have a feeling bending went even farther back than Lion Turtles but that was before the Avatar existed.

I think Koh is a chaotic neutral type always (like the spider monster that took Tenzin, Kya and Bumi to that pit). He doesn't really have a "good" or "bad" setting.

Anyway, any word on a premiere date for the next season?

Koh is an interesting thing, we've only seen him a little bit and I'd really like to know more about him. The fact he can only steal someone's face if they show emotion to him (can't remember if it's any emotion or a specific one) is interesting. Sort of plays into the whole thing about emotions having an affect, though what and to what degree probably depends on the spirit in question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Koh is an interesting thing, we've only seen him a little bit and I'd really like to know more about him. The fact he can only steal someone's face if they show emotion to him (can't remember if it's any emotion or a specific one) is interesting. Sort of plays into the whole thing about emotions having an affect, though what and to what degree probably depends on the spirit in question.
    Yeah the spirits still seem to be confusing individually, is there not a spirit that can just be good without changing? It's all up in the air with certain parts but you did make a good point regarding the panda.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazon has box art for the Book 3 art book available. (Source: http://www.amazon.com/The-Legend-Kor.../dp/1616555653)

Unfortunately the resolution is pretty low, and there doesn't seem to be a way to increase it.

Some speculation here. First of all, that is almost definitely an air temple in the background. It looks like the Northern Air Temple, though the part at the bottom is weird. That bit wasn't there in TLA, but there was people living there and building new stuff so who knows. More importantly, she is holding a glider that looks a lot like Aangs 2nd glider because of the wider part at the end of it, which his 1st glider didn't have. It is possible that Tenzin gave her Aangs glider and it will be a way of reconnecting to him, which would be pretty cool. If not at least she will have a glider. Also, her hair looks much better like that.