Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Yeah! more realistic magic powers.
    This, haha. I mean, sure it makes logical sense that a shard of sharpened ice could pierce someone to kill them... or a blood bender could simply stop the blood from circulating in someone's body. BUT... it is primarily a kids/young teen's show. Things can't be lead to the extremes of upright slaughter.

BESIDES, even if it were allowed, there would probably be one or two characters with the exceptional ability to kill everyone due to extreme mastery of their elemental bending or all bendings (the Avatar). There are things that could be considerably one-shot abilities. Such as.... well, bloodbending. Get a few people like Tarlock, where they can bloodbend without the power of the full moon, and you have a recipe to kill anyone with ease.

Not letting this happen in the show gives some sort of balance to the powers of each type of bending imo.

Well all those extraordinary powers in video games and shows and movies and such can theoretically be used to do various things, but we're telling a story here and overpowering all that stuff and coming up with various sidetricks to make them more deadly doesn't exactly serve that purpose well. Balance ftw.

Remember, Frodo could ride a great eagle, but we wouldn't have a good story otherwise. Let go of logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

It's not so much that the magic powers are balanced and can't do it's just that it's interesting to consider how it's all held back.

I wouldn't want to see this heinous stuff but it's interesting to consider that these people could do some pretty fucked up things with bending with a little imagination. Tarrlok could have pulled all of Korra's blood out of her body through one of her little cuts. It's fucked up and I wouldn't want to see it but its just interesting that the entire Avatar world holds back that level of gruesomeness.

It just makes me think what the show would be like if it aired back during late night AniMondays on the sci fi channel.
    Torethirnyi, Blackwing's Bane - Orc Enhancement Shaman - <Conviction> of Korgath - (H) 9/13 25-man - Retired from WoW in 4.1
    Champion Torethyr Sarin - Cyborg Vengeance Juggernaut - <Conviction> of Prophecy of the Five - 10/10 Nightmare Mode - Retired

Nothing makes you hate MMOs more than having played MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    It's not so much that the magic powers are balanced and can't do it's just that it's interesting to consider how it's all held back.

I wouldn't want to see this heinous stuff but it's interesting to consider that these people could do some pretty fucked up things with bending with a little imagination. Tarrlok could have pulled all of Korra's blood out of her body through one of her little cuts. It's fucked up and I wouldn't want to see it but its just interesting that the entire Avatar world holds back that level of gruesomeness.

It just makes me think what the show would be like if it aired back during late night AniMondays on the sci fi channel.
    Yeah when Tarlok was blood bending Korra I cringed, because the thought crossed through my mind that he could easily snap her neck or kill her in so many gruesome ways.

So, I just finished rewatching TLAB, and man I forgot how truly amazing that series was. LoK is very action packed, and epic, but I kinda miss the mostly laid back attitude of TLAB. Hopefully in the next season, Korra will leave Republic City and we'll get to see the world a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    A little bit more realistic bending in fights would be cool.
    As fun as it'd be. It'd make fights a lot more anti-climatic and short

There's already some very good AMVs out too. I normally avoid AMVs but several of Korra's have me glued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post

So, I just finished rewatching TLAB, and man I forgot how truly amazing that series was. LoK is very action packed, and epic, but I kinda miss the mostly laid back attitude of TLAB. Hopefully in the next season, Korra will leave Republic City and we'll get to see the world a little more.
    Yeah TLAB was amazing, watching season 1-3 in 720p is epic. I love the laid-back attitude of their traveling. There's so many episodes I like, The Swamp, The Runaway, The Painted lady, The headband etc. All laid back episodes. I must admit though, I've never been this curious waiting for a next episode like in LOK. TLAB had much less mystery factor.
    System Specs -
    CPU - i5 2500k @ 5ghz | CPU Cooler - RASA RX240 | Motherboard - Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3| GPU - Nvidia GTX 590|
    SSD - Crucial M4 128GB | RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Case - CoolerMaster HAF 922
    | Monitor - Crossover 27Q (2560x1440) | Sidewinder X4 Keyboard |

Dreadlord
    TLAB was more straight forward because we all knew what the Goal of Aang was, knock out the firelord.
    With Korra we THINK it was Amon, then it turned out to be Tarrlok and we are not so sure about Amon being a misunderstood good guy or what ever the heck he is supposed to be.
    Or both, it indeed has alot of mistery, and I love it!

---------- Post added 2012-06-06 at 11:00 PM ----------

System specs:
    CPU: Intel core i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz| CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212 + |
    GPU: EVGA GTX 590 |RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz |--->CPU -Z
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | HDD: Hitachi 1TB| SSD Crucial M4 128GB |
    Power Supply: Corsair TX850M | Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922 | OS: Windows 7 64 bit | Display: ASUS VG236 120hz ( 1920x1080 )

Btw! Beat you there!!!! 2x GTX590 XD MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :P haha sorry offtopic :<

She will talk to Aang this episode, if she doesn't I will go into the Avatar world and just tell her, "Korra wtf, come on now, there is a spiritual part of this world, now go get it bitch!!!!!"
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintank View Post
    TLAB was more straight forward because we all knew what the Goal of Aang was, knock out the firelord.
    With Korra we THINK it was Amon, then it turned out to be Tarrlok and we are not so sure about Amon being a misunderstood good guy or what ever the heck he is supposed to be.
    Or both, it indeed has alot of mistery, and I love it!
    The whole theme of Korra is mystery.

The Fire Nation was an enemy you could physically see and deal with. This is so much different; we don't know who Amon is, who supports him? what his long-term goals are.

I like it really, it's such a different style of storytelling than Aang

Yeah, I remember reading a review of the first episode of LoK, and every review said, that it was great and separating itself from TLAB, while still throwing in some fan service and references. Although I never really thought of Amon as a bad guy. I mean he has a very good point. Benders do abuse non-benders, and while I don't agree with how he is going about it, I do think his cause is just.

Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Favorite character list.

1. Lin
    2. Amon
    3. Korra
    4. Tarlok
    5. Tenzin
    6. Bolin
    7. Meelo

I don't find Mako or his girlfriend all that really interesting characters :/.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-06-07 at 12:45 AM.

Avatar: Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender are NOT ANIME! They're AMERICAN TV SHOWS (CARTOONS). I donno why people think that just because the art style is similar to animes (note SIMILAR and not IDENTICAL) that doesn't mean it actually IS an anime. Heck the plot is far less convoluted and the whole show is "americanized". The show is ok so far. Gotta say the setting is a turn-off.

Compared to the other weekly cartoons I'd say Young Justice > Avengers > Korra. It really needs to pull itself together and :
    A) Show what happened to everyone from the original series in as much detail as possible and how the world got this way
    B) Make the bad guys as strong as they should be!! In the first episodes Korra got beat up by just 1 chi blocker now she's trowing them off like they were stuffed animals

Tbh I'm more interested in A) at the moment because the whole city, industry, way of life is just as a wallpaper and needs a whole lot more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    Favorite character list.

1. Lin
    2. Amon
    3. Korra
    4. Tarlok
    5. Tenzin
    6. Bolin
    7. Meelo

I don't find Mako or his girlfriend all that really interesting characters :/.
    I would have to go with:

1. Bolin
    2. Korra
    3. Tenzin
    4. Amon
    5. Spider-Lin

As my top 5

Rather strange turnaround with the avatar as Aang was way down my list
    Last edited by Azalu; 2012-06-07 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Avatar: Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender are NOT ANIME! They're AMERICAN TV SHOWS (CARTOONS). I donno why people think that just because the art style is similar to animes (note SIMILAR and not IDENTICAL) that doesn't mean it actually IS an anime. Heck the plot is far less convoluted and the whole show is "americanized". The show is ok so far. Gotta say the setting is a turn-off.

Compared to the other weekly cartoons I'd say Young Justice > Avengers > Korra. It really needs to pull itself together and :
    A) Show what happened to everyone from the original series in as much detail as possible and how the world got this way
    B) Make the bad guys as strong as they should be!! In the first episodes Korra got beat up by just 1 chi blocker now she's trowing them off like they were stuffed animals

Tbh I'm more interested in A) at the moment because the whole city, industry, way of life is just as a wallpaper and needs a whole lot more details.
    You guys don't stop do you? The title isn't a big deal, and whether it's an anime or not really doesn't matter.

My favorite characters are

1. Amon
    2. Korra
    3. Brolin
    4. Tenzin
    5. Tarlok
    6. Mako
    7. Lin

Avatar is more close to Anime than cartoons in my opinion. Sort of like an American Anime style. But it doesn't really matter what it is.

A) I don't think we are going to find out everything that happened to the original characters. But you should check out The Promise . It shows what happened to the team after Aang took Ozai's bending away and it's supposed to show how Republic City was created.

B) True at first Korra had trouble dealing with the Equalists but it's possible she is already used to fighting chi blockers. Katara herself managed to be toe-to-toe with Ty Lee in their second fight.

Safari Type: Bug. Friend Code: 5043-2200-3518.

God just stop with the Anime crap, just go make a thread about it.

OT: For some reason this episode is having me at my ends because I refuse to watch promo's. Promo's just ruin it for me overall and takes all that hype away from the next episode but this next episode is just destroying my mentality.
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    God just stop with the Anime crap, just go make a thread about it.

OT: For some reason this episode is having me at my ends because I refuse to watch promo's. Promo's just ruin it for me overall and takes all that hype away from the next episode but this next episode is just destroying my mentality.
    I feel you... I have not been this excited for a new episode in a long time.

You're confused. What you are saying is like claiming that Rap is only Rap if its by black people from New York. Anime is defined by style, not origin. Plenty of animation out of china, korea, and even the US can be classified as Anime even though its not from Japan.....same with manga. Avatar is actually animated by studios in Korea btw.

On a side note, Young Justice is really very good, first season more then second (cept the latest Flash episode which was awesome).

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill
    Yeah, I remember reading a review of the first episode of LoK, and every review said, that it was great and separating itself from TLAB, while still throwing in some fan service and references. Although I never really thought of Amon as a bad guy. I mean he has a very good point. Benders do abuse non-benders, and while I don't agree with how he is going about it, I do think his cause is just.
    Yea, Amon seems evil but he hasn't really done anything truly evil yet. So far he has just taught non-benders self defense, and only people he has "removed" bending from were gangster triad benders, and that guy in the bending tournament who cheated.

I wouldn't doubt if Korra ends up teaming up with Amon to take down Tarlok.

it's animated in korea. manhua and mangas are too, as well as other asian countries. so are many other MURRRRRIKAN TEEVEE SHOWS. no need to get patriot level butthurt over the classification.

on the subject of lotr and logic, hobbits are the only beings on middle-earth that show great resistance to the rings corruption. all other beings (tom bombadil christ being the only exception) are tempted by it's mere presence. meaning the eagles would have long pecked frodo to death or dropped him to the ground before bearing him to mt. doom.
    Last edited by arceuid; 2012-06-07 at 03:26 AM.