Deleted
    Bumi gets 5 seconds of screen time. Still instantly my new favourite character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bumi lives up to his name rather well :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    Well at first I was like for real? Tarrlok's brother that's lame. But by the speedboat scene I was like 'Wow, awesome writing.'
    And I'm fairly sure Aang didn't energybend her... given that he isn't a physical entity (i.e I doubt Mako could see the other Avatars) he helped her spiritually unblock her bending which she then repeated on Lin.

Mindblowing finale, would like to see if they go for a time gap in the plot a la season 2-3 of ATLA or if it is literally minutes after the end of the finale.

Yeah the suicide bit made up for the weird inconsistency of Amon being Tarlok's brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Bumi lives up to his name rather well :P
    Yea yea. Heh. Made me chuckle the instant he appeared on the screen. More Bumi in S2 please.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I do wish that she would've had to go to the spirit world to regain her powers. Maybe even train with Kuruk, Roku, and Kyoshi. Although I think the way they handled it was just fine. Not to mention that the first season was meant to be the end, so it wouldn't have made sense if she never regained her powers before they ended the series.
    They planned it for 2 seasons. The first wasnt supposed to be the end

Quote Originally Posted by Nasacho View Post
    They planned it for 2 seasons. The first wasnt supposed to be the end
    Incorrect it was a 12 episode Mini-Series that got upped to 26 total episodes midway in production of season one.(story was done)

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you guys think that there will be another season? I know they said that there would...but the finale just seemed so final.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    The next season has nothing for it to bring. Korra is now master avatar. She got the guy. What possible enemy could she face?
    Yeah I wonder that also, I doubt there many other Amon strength people roaming the country side and avatar state pretty much own's all other types of bending. Now it would be cool if it was like a forgotten avatar who went mad and shit and starts fucking stuff up, but that's ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprise if the next season follows some up and coming bender with dreams of being a great powerful person yada yada yada. Cool season finally nonetheless but something tells me we haven't seen the end of amon.
    “I’m tired of being crushed under the weight of greedy men who believe in nothing.” - Jax Teller

Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    It appears that I am the only one who didn't really like the finale. It wasn't horrible or anything, but I do have a few major issues with it

1) Am I the only one who thought that the twist was going to be that Amon wasn't really going to be Yakone's brother? Amon obviously has a very different skin-colour than the kid, we clearly see him fire-bend (look how he is pushing aside the flaming wall) when following Korra and there is absolutely no explanation for how the hell Amon was taking away bending. I'd accept blood-bending as an explanation, except that Korra clearly needs to use energy-bending to return it. We might get an explanation for this next season, but I still feel that one of the characters should have noticed it.
    2) How the hell did Mako and Korra both break free of blood-bending? Yakone was easily able to control an entire courtroom with his eyeballs, yet Amon can't control two people.
    3) Naga is suddenly able to throw around mecha-tanks and break through iron bars.
    4) How did Korra get in contact with her spiritual side? We never see anything in the episodes to indicate that she has become spiritual. It honestly felt like a deus ex machina.
    5) How did Amon catch Tenzin and the kids? We spend a portion of the previous episode on them getting away, we saw the zeppelin break off pursuit... and suddenly they are captured.
    6) Given Tarrlok's backstory, why was he trying to take over the city through the oppression of non-benders?
    7) How exactly did the equalists keep all their production secret? They had to produce and store at least a dozen airships, a dozen fighter-bombers, several dozen mecha-tanks and several large underground complexes. We know that Hiroshi Sato was thoroughly investigated, so he couldn't have been the one funding it, and they probably didn't mine the metal themselves, considering they weren't going to use earthbenders.
    8) That love triangle was entirely pointless.
    1 He wasn't Yakone's brother, he was his son. He also dodged the fire, not bend it. No one knows about the blood bending, but it blocks a connection to the element.
    2 He wasn't completly focused on them. Mako had little control in his arm and Korra had some control in her leg.
    3 Hes a fucking dog-bear
    4 Aang told her that ones becomes spiritual when they are at there lowest.
    5 They chased them down and eventually found them
    6 He was corrupt at the time and wanted power
    7 We know that Hiroshi had a secret plant underground, why couldn't there be others?
    8 That is all a matter of opinion. It created drama for those who liked love stories. I could care less about it also.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely NO idea what they're going to be doing for S2. I mean... everything is all better. Typical happy ending.... just... WEUQIEQeiuQWE

This ending felt better to me than TLA, imo. It was so emotional!!
    When Korra was crying by the water and there was someone who walked up in Air Temple regalia, my first thought was "Damn Tenzin can move fast..." Then right before a voice was audible a quick second thought "WAIT, THAT ISN'T TENZIN" and bam! So awesome. I missed seeing Roku, he was my favorite Avatar.

[QUOTE=Nasacho;17284920]1 He wasn't Yakone's brother, he was his son. He also dodged the fire, not bend it. No one knows about the blood bending, but it blocks a connection to the element.[quote]

He jumped through a wall of fire, how the hell do you dodge a wall of fire? And I indeed misstated, I meant Tarrlok's brother.

2 He wasn't completly focused on them. Mako had little control in his arm and Korra had some control in her leg.
    Which is my problem. This tactic was used to fully control an entire courtroom, none of whom had any way to resist. Tarrlok, the weakest of the two, was still easily able to bloodbend multiple people. Yet Amon couldn't stop 2?

3 Hes a fucking dog-bear
    He's still throwing around at least 10000 kg.

4 Aang told her that ones becomes spiritual when they are at there lowest.
    But Korra didn't appear to be even remotely spiritual. We see no indication of any level of spirituality outside that claim by Aang.

5 They chased them down and eventually found them
    Except that we saw that they stopped purchasing them. The zeppelin stopped its pursuit.

6 He was corrupt at the time and wanted power
    I know. The question is: Why? His backstory indicated he was opposed to the philosophy of his father.

7 We know that Hiroshi had a secret plant underground, why couldn't there be others?
    Because it would be a massive draw on resources, which would have been discovered when Hiroshi had been investigated.

8 That is all a matter of opinion. It created drama for those who liked love stories. I could care less about it also.
    Fair enough.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

Deleted
    Idk how much Mako actually moved though, he kinda just twisted his arm a bit and given the situation it's possible he could overpower Amon's will just a little bit after the Lieutenant's surprise attack.

Deleted
    It appears that I am the only one who didn't really like the finale. It wasn't horrible or anything, but I do have a few major issues with it

1) Am I the only one who thought that the twist was going to be that Amon wasn't really going to be Yakone's brother? Amon obviously has a very different skin-colour than the kid, we clearly see him fire-bend (look how he is pushing aside the flaming wall) when following Korra and there is absolutely no explanation for how the hell Amon was taking away bending. I'd accept blood-bending as an explanation, except that Korra clearly needs to use energy-bending to return it. We might get an explanation for this next season, but I still feel that one of the characters should have noticed it.
    2) How the hell did Mako and Korra both break free of blood-bending? Yakone was easily able to control an entire courtroom with his eyeballs, yet Amon can't control two people.
    3) Naga is suddenly able to throw around mecha-tanks and break through iron bars.
    4) How did Korra get in contact with her spiritual side? We never see anything in the episodes to indicate that she has become spiritual. It honestly felt like a deus ex machina.
    5) How did Amon catch Tenzin and the kids? We spend a portion of the previous episode on them getting away, we saw the zeppelin break off pursuit... and suddenly they are captured.
    6) Given Tarrlok's backstory, why was he trying to take over the city through the oppression of non-benders?
    7) How exactly did the equalists keep all their production secret? They had to produce and store at least a dozen airships, a dozen fighter-bombers, several dozen mecha-tanks and several large underground complexes. We know that Hiroshi Sato was thoroughly investigated, so he couldn't have been the one funding it, and they probably didn't mine the metal themselves, considering they weren't going to use earthbenders.
    8) That love triangle was entirely pointless.

Nope, the lieutenant had been defeated at this point, and Amon is clearly using hand movements to control Mako's movement. Korra later breaks free when Amon is threatening Mako (the time she first airbended) and the lieutenant is not even close.

Bears are strong, but generally not strong enough to break through iron bars (since otherwise zoos would have a problem). They're definitely not strong enough to fling around three mechas made out of platinum (which is only a single step below gold in elemental weight. Have you ever tried to lift a gold bar?)

The problem is that we clearly saw Tenzin get away and the airship break pursuit. I guess it could have been the fighter-bombers (that would at least explain why those have electric bola droppers)

To be fair to the series, I probably would have liked it even less if it had influenced the plot :P I am not not a love triangle person.

edit: Just noticed that I'm a mechagnome! NOOOOOOOOOOO!
    First of all: Stop complaining dude o.O

1) No, i also tought there would be a twist. And sorry but what? Because of the skin color you say he is somebody completaly different? That makes no sense at all. As an example ... I have a good friend of mine that is black ( no racism intented here, to be clear ^^ ). When he was a baby he was really dark skinned, now, with 18, his skin isnt sooo black as it was before. Skin color changes! Where do you see him firebend? He just got trough the fire, there was no firebending going on. On the Bloodbending thingy ... I am not completally shure if Amon by himself did say that he takes away bending with bloodbending. If i am right it was only asumed by korra/mako, but not confmired.
    2) Need to rewatch the episode to say sth to this.
    3) Are you ... srsly ... complaining about a Polarbeardog (what ever) throwing tanks trough the air? GEEEEZUS! But a flying bison makes totally sense o.O nvm
    4) Just because you red sth about "ex machina" doesnt mean you have to write it. Dunno why everyone is talking about this shit o.O But well, maybe we will see next season?
    5) Maybe he knew sth like that would happen and he sent another fleet? Its not like Amon was a fool, right?
    6) Explained in the episode
    7) Skills
    8) Every love triangle is entirely pointless. Deal with it.

And i think Korra breaked out of Bloodbending by poor will. Aang did just the same in the flasbacks. He needed to go in Avatar state tough, but he could do it. Also i think that Amon was kind of surprised about the fact that Korra could still Airbend. That might have irritated him, making him lose the consentration he needs to bloodbend.

I think next season Korra and the others will be travelling to the Earth kingdom/fire nation etc and probably get into trouble OUTSIDE of Republic city. Also yeah, Bumi wins my favorite character.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    Idk how much Mako actually moved though, he kinda just twisted his arm a bit and given the situation it's possible he could overpower Amon's will just a little bit after the Lieutenant's surprise attack.
    If it had directly followed the surprise attack, I would have been fit with it, but Amon throws the lieutenant away, turns towards Mako, makes a movement to start controlling Mako again (considering he can apparently bloodbend without even moving, this should be massive overkill) and fully focuses on him.

1) No, i also tought there would be a twist. And sorry but what? Because of the skin color you say he is somebody completaly different? That makes no sense at all. As an example ... I have a good friend of mine that is black ( no racism intented here, to be clear ^^ ). When he was a baby he was really dark skinned, now, with 18, his skin isnt sooo black as it was before. Skin color changes! Where do you see him firebend? He just got trough the fire, there was no firebending going on. On the Bloodbending thingy ... I am not completally shure if Amon by himself did say that he takes away bending with bloodbending. If i am right it was only asumed by korra/mako, but not confmired.
    He creates a hole in the wall of fire to jump through.

3) Are you ... srsly ... complaining about a Polarbeardog (what ever) throwing tanks trough the air? GEEEEZUS! But a flying bison makes totally sense o.O nvm
    Appa works by airbending. Airbending is a power that is clearly established throughout the series. Super-strength is also present in the series, but not to this degree.

4) Just because you red sth about "ex machina" doesnt mean you have to write it. Dunno why everyone is talking about this shit o.O But well, maybe we will see next season?
    Deus Ex Machina. Definition: a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object

Unsolvable problem: Korra can't bend.
    Solved by: Aang appearing and saying that Korra is now spiritual because she was at her lowest point.
    New Abilities: past lives restoring the avatar's bending
    Why it is sudden and abrupt: There had been no indication that Korra had suddenly become spiritual, nor had there been any indication that reaching your lowest point would make you spiritual.
    Why it is contrived: In all previous appearances, to summon the spirit of an old avatar, the current avatar had to enter the avatar state. In all previous appearances, the old avatars could only act through the current avatar's body.

5) Maybe he knew sth like that would happen and he sent another fleet? Its not like Amon was a fool, right?
    No, but why did the first zeppelin break pursuit if they were going to follow them anyway? I would have been perfectly fine with this, had they not shown the zeppelin breaking pursuit.

6) Explained in the episode
    I apparently missed it than. Could you tell me where it was said?
    Last edited by ijffdrie; 2012-06-23 at 09:26 PM.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Oh no guys, this anime series about people bending the elements is not realistic! Bears can't do that stuff IRL.

Mako has extreme skill, like Amon he is somewhat of a prodigy. That's why he says "it would almost be a shame to take the bending away of someone like you. Almost."

Actually he doesn't dodge a wall of fire, he jumps through it (which isn't at all surprising since a) he has clothes on b) is very driven (ever been in a fight? you don't feel any pain until it's over) c) he leaps through it so his body will be exposed to the flames for 2seconds (whilst clothed) meaning he won't get burned.

I liked the ending and I'm guesing Korra will follow bumi around now, Bolin will learn metal bending from Lin before they leave and Makko will become Iroh's protege and learn some more firebending tricks. That's probably what the next season will bring imo.

I hate this shipping garbage. Such generic teen drama. Anyone under the age of 22 who uses the word "love" in that context should be drawn and quartered.

10+ Year Old Account
    How easily Amon was disposed of in such an unrealistic manner, how they tied in the Yakone/Amon story in a slightly cheesy way, her regaining all her bending powers with just a touch from Aang, and how she was able to grant others back their bending made it a less then desirable ending for me.

I really think Amon could have gone out much more stylish, I was actually hoping he wouldn't go out at all. For him to survive for the next season and help expand the bender/non-bender rebellion world wide would have made for a nice season continuation. How they finished Amon slightly made up for it though.

The Yakone/Amon story was just plain cheesy. The groans around me from the people watching it and from people online I was chatting with confirmed it for me. Sure it was a fairly common theory, but how they tied it in dealt a blow to what could have been some amazing plot twists. I'm not too worried about that though.

I'm probably most disappointed with the last two. The happy ending for a first season, when TLA didn't have one until the end of the third season (with each season being much longer) really squeezed things together for LoK. They shouldn't of had such a happy ending for a first, not to mention short, season, but instead left a few things resolved, a few things to be desired, and a nice but not too harsh cliffhanger. Instead they disposed of all the villains, everything went back to happy happy, and there's nothing but speculation for the next season on who will be the next bad guy.

It feels like the creators for this show where only looking at a single season when they started it so they crammed everything from the story into a second season. It was probably only after they had written most of the story and had it outlined that they where greenlit for a second, so they didn't have the story or planning potential for 61 episodes, but only 12.

Korra gaining back her bending with such a simple touch from Aang topped the cheesy meter for me. I was slightly hoping she would have to work a bit harder to regain her bending, such as go around the world to various spiritual places to commune with the spirit world, getting it back bit by bit with hard work. It would have helped with the story for a second or even third season, and would have actually shown Korra put effort into something, which she hasn't done at all the first season when you saw Aang try left and right throughout TLA.

Korra giving back bending to everyone was just horrible story writing overall, the only reason I could fathom them doing it is to not scare or make the children sad (which they probably already did with the suicide). It was nice seeing Lin regain her bending, but it also diminished all that Amon did the entire series. It's like absolutely nothing even happened and Amon never even existed. At the end of a civil war like that there has to be some scars to add that realism to the story, but this had none.. expect maybe some scorched buildings and a few people in jail.

I really enjoyed the series overall, and the above isn't trying to bash it in any way, every critique I put I hope I did well placed, and I am most definitely looking forward to a second season.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention. Bumi confirmed for best character of season 2.

Unsolvable problem: Korra can't bend.
    Solved by: Aang appearing and saying that Korra is now spiritual because she was at her lowest point.
    New Abilities: past lives restoring the avatar's bending
    Why it is sudden and abrupt: There had been no indication that Korra had suddenly become spiritual, nor had there been any indication that reaching your lowest point would make you spiritual.
    Why it is contrived: In all previous appearances, to summon the spirit of an old avatar, the current avatar had to enter the avatar state

Your arguement is flawed.

Look at the second to last episode of A:TLA. Aang speaks to four past avatars while his avatar state is blocked. They manifest in front of him.

As for the "new ability/ sudden abrupt": we've been dealing with this the entire series. She IS becoming more spiritual, she IS connecting with her past lives. It's not one big jump from non-spiritual to vegetarianism and solving spirit world problems, but it does occur throughout the series. The very fact that she can airbend is somewhat of an indication of spirituality, as air bending is a very spiritual process. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that while fire, water, and earth are more "physical" bending, air is the "spiritual" bending. That would also explain why a physical block would not effect her bending - one, she hadn't manifested it and two, it's more from the spiritual side than the physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Oh no guys, this anime series about people bending the elements is not realistic! Bears can't do that stuff IRL.
    I knowz, I knowz . But it still would have been nice to have some precedent for the bear-dog to have this degree of super-strength before it showed up in the finale. I mean, he objected to carrying the five kids, and those would be way, way lighter. It's like Mako suddenly turning a floor into lava to stop Amon. Within the setting, it could probably work, but it would still be nice to actually introduce the power before using it as a plot point.

Mako has extreme skill, like Amon he is somewhat of a prodigy. That's why he says "it would almost be a shame to take the bending away of someone like you. Almost."

Actually he doesn't dodge a wall of fire, he jumps through it (which isn't at all surprising since a) he has clothes on b) is very driven (ever been in a fight? you don't feel any pain until it's over) c) he leaps through it so his body will be exposed to the flames for 2seconds (whilst clothed) meaning he won't get burned.
    Mako being a prodigy felt more like a handwave. True, he was good at pro-bending, but pro-bending is a sport of speed, agility and insight, not strength.

I still feel like the wall of fire thing was odd. We clearly see a hole in the wall of fire, which I don't think just happens when jumping through. I might be harping a bit too much on the details here though. To me, it looked like fire-bending. Coupled with the different skin colour (which does indeed happen in real life), I felt like we were being given hints.

I liked the ending and I'm guesing Korra will follow bumi around now, Bolin will learn metal bending from Lin before they leave and Makko will become Iroh's protege and learn some more firebending tricks. That's probably what the next season will bring imo.
    That would be pretty damn cool. I honestly really liked Bumi and Iroh (though the voice still throws me off).
    Last edited by ijffdrie; 2012-06-23 at 09:49 PM.