In my opinion the only Disney movies I acknowledge are original movies that were theatrically released. Disney direct to videos are always lower quality in picture, storyline, and just there to milk cash off the original. In my opinion ALL Disney direct to video sequels do not exist and have no relation to the original movie it tries to affiliate itself to. I just pretend they are plagiarized cheap garbage produced by a rival animation studio that is not affiliated with Disney. The only Disney sequels I acknowledge are ones that were theatrically released. For example: Toy Story 2. My hate for direct to video sequels is directed especially towards the ones made for Disney Renaissance movies.
So anyways for those who decided to read this post: Do you also share my opinion about Disney direct to videos in terms of not acknowledging or affiliating them with the original theatrically released movies?
Please share your thought on Disney direct to videos. Please if you can just stick to the ones I listed. Obviously there were many other Disney direct to videos released for movies not from the Renaissance era, again they don’t count either. Try to stick with the ones I listed.
- - - Updated - - -
For those who have no clue what is going on and are interested in participating since you love Disney movies here is something to get things started.
Here is my run down:
1. Beauty and the Beast: Belle breaks the spell and lives happily ever after with the Prince. No prequel or midquel exists. Everything else is left to open interpretation and imagination.
2. The Lion King: Simba restores balance and has a child. Whether the child is male or female is up to open interpretation. Scar’s pride was never mentioned in The Lion King; therefore everything in the sequel is complete garbage. Same goes for the midquel that was made.
3. Aladdin: Jasmine and Aladdin get married and live happily ever after. What happens after is open interpretation and imagination. Aladdin was an orphan period and Jafar is sealed forever. Therefore the sequel about Aladdin’s father and Jafar’s return is not affiliated, does not exist, and not connected to the original Aladdin movie.
4. Mulan: Mulan invites Shang over for dinner in the end of the movie. What happens after is open for interpretation and imagination. Mulan 2 was garbage, not affiliated/connected to the original Mulan and does not exist.
5. Tarzan: Tarzan, Jane, and Jane’s father live a new life together in the jungle. Their adventure is open to the imagination. Midquel and TV show does not dictate what happened to Tarzan after the original movie. Both do not exist in my opinion.
6. Hercules: Great ending, no direct to video sequel was made for it which is good. There was a TV show series though, once again doesn’t count for anything.
7. Hunchback of Notre Dame: Quasimodo is free from the tower and welcomed into society. Phoebus and Esmeralda fall in love. What happens to the three of them after is open for imagination. The 2nd movie was garbage, does not count.
8. Rescuers Down Under: This one is actually a sequel to the Rescuers movie from 1977. It was released theatrically so I count this one as it meets my requirement.
9. Pocahontas: This movie was very controversial. What actually happened at Jamestown is still unclear and debatable. Disney made a huge gamble with this one. Should have done Frozen instead. The snow queen story was something that interested Disney back in the 90’s. For whatever reason it was postponed and finally made in 2013. The fact they made two sequels for Pocahontas baffles me.
10. The Little Mermaid: This movie started the whole Renaissance and it was disrespected with a horrible sequel. King Triton permanently lets go his daughter Ariel to let her lead her own life. Ariel lets go her family permanently to go live with Eric. Ariel is never to see or be with her father or sisters ever again. This sad fate is something I believe the animation team for the original movie wanted in order to be equivalent/match to the sad fate in the REAL Little Mermaid story by Hans Christiansen. It was even mentioned in the movie when Ariel was told by Ursula she must become human to be with Eric. Ariel actually said: “If I become human, I’ll never be with my father or sisters again.”
The Little Mermaid 2 was a violation in my opinion. Ursula’s less magical sister pops up and a recycled storyline is used on Ariel’s own daughter. Absolutely terrible. Whether Ariel has children should be open to the imagination. In my opinion what happened in the sequel does not exist. Ariel is permanently separated from the mermaid world and fully integrated into the human world with Eric. TV show that was made also is garbage.