Page 6 of 410 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venteus View Post
    I'm so happy that the series is still going strong. Who else laughed when one of Tenzen's daughters asked about Zuko's mom? That HAS to be a small jab at the fan base that has been dying to know XD!
    Laughed? If by "laughed" you mean "screamed with a murderous rage", then yeah.

I "laughed".
    this is the first part (separated into 2 parts) of a 3 part comic series:

---------- Post added 2012-04-14 at 08:10 PM ----------

the next 2 parts will be coming out soon.

This is a very good show. However, its not 'anime' since its actually American

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphirian View Post
    Just don't go there, please.

10+ Year Old Account
    anime = short for animation.

logic says you're wrong.

if you said "japanese anime," then you'd be correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    anime = short for animation.

logic says you're wrong.

if you said "japanese anime," then you'd be correct.
    No logic says he's right. When i say anime how many of you think "Oh spongebob square pants" or "fairly oddparents" or even "family guy" or "american dad". I bet none or very few. No anime in the western world means japanese animation. However in japane it does mean cartoons in general. It's what happens when a language picks up a word. It;s meaning changes and becomes something new. So no avatar is not anime.

Though i will admit that like transformers,robotech and voltron due to odd origins(if i recall right avatr is animated in korea among other things) it can be debated. Just that the TV label would be better suited to this than the anime one.

Now to go OT. I am quite excited and really enjoyed the original series. Now if only we learned more about Zukos mother. Oh well i hear some comics will cover that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how to explain it still, I have never had anything on TV, movies, anything ever put so much emotion through me... I'm trying to say it's a great show but for me it's the best show TV has ever made, I will not listen to someone else's opinion because my opinion (to myself) is always right, ESPECIALLY with this series. There is just some weird thing about it that makes it such a well made show.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    I'm not too sure I like the mix of classical- and swing-era music, but I'm definitely loving that erhu (chinese violin)...it never fails to give me chills and make me swoon, lol -- such a beautiful instrument.

I'm basically on the fence about the whole show though...
    I understand flying bison are an Air Nomad/Tribe thing, but they're so much more awesome than polar bear-dogs...and Appa (along with Momo) had soooo much more personality than Naga does.
    Amon doesn't seem like he could be that much of a threat, at least not comparable to Mark Hamill's Fire-lord Ozai, but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to see how he develops and what he's really up to.
    The setting itself. It just doesn't draw me in the way The Last Airbender's world did. It's the whole Republic City industrialization thing -- tall buildings, skyscrapers, cars, radios, etc -- it just doesn't feel right to me.

Although, to be fair, the latter point does open up some possibly interesting developments regarding how the new (industrialization) and the old (bending, the separate tribes, etc) -- both with their respective ideals -- clash and attempt to coexist in this one tiny area. Very sociological. Very interesting.

And just as well, the voice cast is -- like its predecessor -- amazing. Both Janet Varney and J.K. Simmons (J. Jonah Jameson, Cave Johnson) have done an absolute knock-out job with Korra and Tenzen, respectively, in the first two episodes... hell, I might just watch the show to see what they do with their characters.

I dunno... thoughts, anyone?
    Well the music is kind of ok. When naga starts to hunt for food at the first episode is just terrible.

As for nomad and tribal life you are talking about. Have you watched the same TLA as me? Most of the technology was in there, the tanks of the fire nation, the great drill, that big truck thingie that Azula used the first time when she chased aang, the airships and the steampowered ships.
    As for the city Ba sing Se, Omashu, the fire nations capital and the western air temple were all amazing cities. After the war thanks to Aang and Zuko the different nations come together and with the different technology and architecture united its not hard to imagine and industrial revolution.
    Just because they were called Air nomads they weren't that nomad at all and the best example is again the western air temple. The south pole village where Korra learned the first 3 elements were still tribal looking or maybe resembled the north pole one in TLA.

What I learn from Naruto is: never underestimate the power of a masked man. The first appearence of Tobi was rather comic or retarded, he didn't seem to be serious character, then BOOM he is the mastermind behind everything. That Amon guy is a powerfull man and I'm sure he has more than just "hate the benders" thing, maybe its some diversion. Also the first thing come to my mind when i saw him was Darth Raven... so hes kind of badass I hope, even if they have nothing in common exept they wear mask.
    Last edited by mmocbd16b602c3; 2012-04-15 at 11:53 PM.

I still can't think that Amon is being foreshadowed as the return of Ozai. I know it's crazy but something just keeps pointing me that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Semantics. It is obvious that Avatar is highly influenced by anime and also highly likely that people who enjoy anime would also enjoy Avatar. What is Avatar have more in common with, Naruto or Spongebob?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Semantics. It is obvious that Avatar is highly influenced by anime and also highly likely that people who enjoy anime would also enjoy Avatar. What is Avatar have more in common with, Naruto or Spongebob?
    LOL agreed by and large. Though TBH i DO wish TV was used in the OP. But as for someone calling it anime i CAN let that slide for obvious reasons.

Deleted
    Are there any steampunk elements in the new series? It seems so but I haven't begun wathcing it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Are there any steampunk elements in the new series? It seems so but I haven't begun wathcing it yet.
    Not yet, but I expect we'll be seeing plenty of it once we see the anti-benders in action.

Show is great, but nickelodeon blew it by not making a primetime show.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    What about when you compare Avatar with Totally spies? theyre both cartoon's influenced by anime yet they arent anime.
    And Well not all cartoons are the same, you can't compare spongebob to Avatar as theyre totally diffrent and are for diffrent audiences or so i'd say
    but you cant compare hello kitty Wich is still anime but obviously not anime such as naruto or bleach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    What about when you compare Avatar with Totally spies? theyre both cartoon's influenced by anime yet they arent anime.
    And Well not all cartoons are the same, you can't compare spongebob to Avatar as theyre totally diffrent and are for diffrent audiences or so i'd say
    but you cant compare hello kitty Wich is still anime but obviously not anime such as naruto or bleach.
    I agree. I have said many times that anime (and for that matter cartoons) is a medium, not a genre. My point was not to say whether Avatar is anime or not, it was that by putting anime in the title it is more likely to draw the right people to the thread. Vast majority of the people who I have talked to who are fans of Avatar, outside of my little cousins, are also anime fans and vice versa. To put cartoon or TV in the title would not qualify the series audience nearly as well. You could put [American cartoon highly influenced by Anime] in the title, but that is just too wordy.

At the end of the day, does it even really matter? It's a series written by Americans, heavily influenced by anime and Chinese mythology, animated in South Korea, and broadcast in many different languages all over the world. Can we please stop splitting hairs over what it should be classified as and just move on now?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Animesque
    I just killed someone's afternoon.Or morning.Or night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teremett View Post
    I actually decided to re-watch the original Avatar series earlier this week. It is probably one of my favorite shows, certainly my favorite cartoon/anime. I had heard that Legend of Korra was in the works some time ago, but had kind of forgotten about it until now. Now I am giddy and eagerly anticipating the premier in a few weeks.
    I just got finished watching the first series for the first time, and am now kicking myself for not watching it sooner.
    When I saw the (Terribly protected)leak, I was immediately drawn into for it's setting.I'm an absolute buff for the 20s/30s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I just got finished watching the first series for the first time, and am now kicking myself for not watching it sooner.
    When I saw the (Terribly protected)leak, I was immediately drawn into for it's setting.I'm an absolute buff for the 20s/30s.
    I'm the same actually. I never saw the original when it was out. I knew about it (had people talk about it) but never saw it. Nor did I saw the movie (which I was warned by said people not to anyway). However, once I saw that preview I was enthralled. I went to Netflix and basically watched all three seasons over the weekend. Besides the bulk of the first 2/3rds of the first season the show was engaging. I liked the Chinese feel of the show, as well as the fact that I recognized (at least from sight; couldn't tell what their names were) A LOT of chinese Weaponry and fighting styles. I'm a general history buff to the core. If it wasn't for the fact that my first love was math and computer programming, I would have went to college for history. I was really not feeling the whole angst deal in the third season, but otherwise I liked the series as a whole.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2012-04-17 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Animesque
    I just killed someone's afternoon.Or morning.Or night.
    tvtropes is like a black hole that sucks up all your free time if you get caught in it. I try to avoid it these days unless I have alot of time to waste or an looking for something particular. That said, it's description of Avatar under Animesque is pretty damn good:

"Avatar The Last Airbender is usually described as "Asian-influenced". It also seems to have a higher amount of "cred" since it uses the more cinematic, narrative, Miyazakian form of "anime"-style animation and art-style. Today, it's usually bunched in with anime as a whole. Although calling the show an anime in certain places is liable to get you considerably flamed, either by rabid Avatards, or by purists who hate most non-Japanese "animation". One reason it pulls it off so well is that its animation studios, DR Movie and JM Animation, worked primarily on anime, including many higher production ones. Also, one of the supervising directors, Oh Seung-hyun, studied for a year under Shoji Kawamori. "

I found the series pretty late as well, a couple of years ago. I had wrote it off as just a kids show when I began to see the dvd and such in stores but then one day a friend of mine who is married with 3 kids and is notoriously picky when it comes to tv series and movies told me it was his favorite tv series of all time. Not favorite kids show or cartoon, but tv series. That sparked my interest and 3-4 episodes in I was hooked. I ended up watching the entire series 3 times over two months and another 3-4 times over the past couple of years. Still blows me away the quality of it. From the looks of it, Korra will be a worthy follow up as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I must be crazy but it seems like the commercial is foreshadowing the bad guy being Ozai again...

Also, to whomever said they thought Mako was a bad guy, they named him after the original voice actor for Iroh I highly doubt that is the case.
    Yea, true. For some reason I thought the masked guy was a fire bender, and Mako would be one of those characters who plays both sides......part of that "equalists" group, but also a regular guy who can get close to the avatar. Voice actors for both are different though so I guess not. Plus these "equalists" are supposed to be against bending, apparently they use chi-blocking techniques which I've never heard of. I feel like you would have to have some bending skill to block chi, like pushing nerve points and stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if air bendings forbidden master technique has something to do with chi blocking, just like bloodbending for water.
    I agree. I have said many times that anime (and for that matter cartoons) is a medium, not a genre.
    Animation is the medium, anime or cartoons are genres. Just like comics (technically "sequential art") would be a medium, and manga or superhero comic books are genres. Then you got sub genres. I feel like animation is a style an not necessarily restricted to stuff that comes from japan, even though thats the most "authentic" source.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    So last night I re-watched the first two episodes. During the scene where Tenzei was releasing Korra from Prison, they showed a guard bringing in the Polar Bear Dog, Naga. Was it just me or did it look like that guy was designed similarly to those found in Full Metal Alchemist. I thought the first series was developed by several Korean animation studios. Yet this would indicate that the show was partly developed by Studio Bones.
    Pretty sure they were just influenced by FMA. for example the to be implemented character Asami, looks a lot like Lust from Brotherhood, because Bryke and crew loved the series, and that character. The animation is still done in split between Nick, and Korean studios.