I liked Zuko and Sokka. They had the most character development out of all of the others. I'll admit, I didn't really like Sokka in Book 1, just because his strange combination of sarcasm/cynic was gratting and filled with flaws. But they really improved him going into 2 and 3. It also didn't do him justice as his "romance" with the princess in the final wasn't that great. More non-existent and radically forced for story purposes.
    Kind of like the romance in LoK, amiright? Hyuk-hyuk-hyuk.

Besides Zuko and Sokka, the others in the team didn't get as many noticable changes. Aang matured a little and became more accepting of his role but he was still the same for the most part, not even compromising his ideals nearing the end. Katarra became stronger with her bending but seemed to have strange shifts in personality as the episode suited, showing compasion out of nowhere for that polluted village. It was also a glaring issue I had with the whole, I hate people because my Mother died by that same group, despite having a brother who is over the fact. Really reminds me of Mako and Bolin, with Mako's entire character being based around the "My parents are deeeaaaadddd *Batman slap*" while Bolin barely registers to it. And Toph... well, she was basically Toph the entire time, but I still loved her.

Not saying that the characers didn't change at all during the series, but Zuko and Sokka seemed to change for the better a lot more and much more noticably.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    I liked Zuko and Sokka. They had the most character development out of all of the others. I'll admit, I didn't really like Sokka in Book 1, just because his strange combination of sarcasm/cynic was gratting and filled with flaws. But they really improved him going into 2 and 3. It also didn't do him justice as his "romance" with the princess in the final wasn't that great. More non-existent and radically forced for story purposes.
    Kind of like the romance in LoK, amiright? Hyuk-hyuk-hyuk.

Besides Zuko and Sokka, the others in the team didn't get as many noticable changes. Aang matured a little and became more accepting of his role but he was still the same for the most part, not even compromising his ideals nearing the end. Katarra became stronger with her bending but seemed to have strange shifts in personality as the episode suited, showing compasion out of nowhere for that polluted village. It was also a glaring issue I had with the whole, I hate people because my Mother died by that same group, despite having a brother who is over the fact. Really reminds me of Mako and Bolin, with Mako's entire character being based around the "My parents are deeeaaaadddd *Batman slap*" while Bolin barely registers to it. And Toph... well, she was basically Toph the entire time, but I still loved her.

Not saying that the characers didn't change at all during the series, but Zuko and Sokka seemed to change for the better a lot more and much more noticably.
    Aang changed a lot if you think about it, especially during Book 3 and Katara is a hard one to explain. She stayed consistent for the most part throughout the entire series and that was fine. I loved the way the did Azula, it was fucking masterful.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    If Zuko and Sokka had good character development then Iroh tops them all.

Killed DRAGONS when he was younger, learned Sun Warrior techniques, almost conquered Ba Sing Se, lost his son, had Zuko as his nephew, watched his brother become Firelord, joined the Order of White Lotus, followed Zuko around teaching him stuff, almost conquered Northern Water Tribe (not intentionally :P), put up with more of Zuko's shit, came to Ba Sing Se as a refugee, made me cry a lot in Tales, went from a lowly tea server to owning his own fucking tea shop, welcomed back to Fire Nation, deserted the Fire Nation along with Zuko, met Toph, later betrayed by Zuko, captured, imprisoned, trained in prison, broke out of prison, re-united with Zuko, came to take back Ba Sing Se, conquered it, gathered with Team Avatar, happily ever after.

MOTHERFUCKING CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    If Zuko and Sokka had good character development then Iroh tops them all.

Killed DRAGONS when he was younger, learned Sun Warrior techniques, almost conquered Ba Sing Se, lost his son, had Zuko as his nephew, watched his brother become Firelord, joined the Order of White Lotus, followed Zuko around teaching him stuff, almost conquered Northern Water Tribe (not intentionally :P), put up with more of Zuko's shit, came to Ba Sing Se as a refugee, made me cry a lot in Tales, went from a lowly tea server to owning his own fucking tea shop, welcomed back to Fire Nation, deserted the Fire Nation along with Zuko, met Toph, later betrayed by Zuko, captured, imprisoned, trained in prison, broke out of prison, re-united with Zuko, came to take back Ba Sing Se, conquered it, gathered with Team Avatar, happily ever after.

MOTHERFUCKING CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
    Iroh is just "that guy", you know the guy you want to be best friends with and be around all day. You don't fuck with "that guy" because he's "that guy".

Didn't the show even state that him and Ozai were pretty much equal in firebending prowess? Iroh said he wouldn't be sure whether or not he could beat his brother but I think if that ever happened it would have been the greatest thing ever.
    Hey everyone

Iroh didn't really "develop." He had adventures but he was probably badass from the start. Not like these loser confused teens we keep seeing.

Iroh only said he couldn't beat his brother because he was old and out of shape! And Ozai had an army. Iroh in his prime vs. any Ozai? It'd be fucking murder. I actually think Azula is better in a fight vs. Ozai but that's different lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iroh was aged 64 in ATLA while Ozai was around 43-45 (I think) and that pretty much says it all, Iroh was simply beyond his prime and he had really let his weight and agility slip :S

Due to learning Sun Warrior techniques he had vastly deeper understanding of Firebending and a more open mind, but that doesn't translate to battle-performance unfortunately especially at that age. I reckon he would've been badly beaten by Ozai if he had gone toe-to-toe against him, Ozai's just too damn fast/agile.

More proof is during the comet, both Ozai and Jeong Jeong could easily take to the air with jet-style firebending from their feet while Iroh kept to the ground the entire time. I reckon flying for Iroh with that much weight would've just eaten too much energy, it was more efficient for him to stay grounded :P

Think of Iroh as the ultimate coach/teacher - he knows how everything is done and his knowledge is vast, but his fighting days are over, his body can no longer keep up and he seeks peace (and tea) more than anything else...not exactly a fighting machine :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-05-02 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iroh was aged 64 in ATLA while Ozai was around 43-45 (I think) and that pretty much says it all, Iroh was simply beyond his prime and he had really let his weight and agility slip :S

Due to learning Sun Warrior techniques he had vastly deeper understanding of Firebending and a more open mind, but that doesn't translate to battle-performance unfortunately especially at that age. I reckon he would've been badly beaten by Ozai if he had gone toe-to-toe against him, Ozai's just too damn fast/agile.

More proof is during the comet, both Ozai and Jeong Jeong could easily take to the air with jet-style firebending from their feet while Iroh kept to the ground the entire time. I reckon flying for Iroh with that much weight would've just eaten too much energy, it was more efficient for him to stay grounded :P

Think of Iroh as the ultimate coach/teacher - he knows how everything is done and his knowledge is vast, but his fighting days are over, his body can no longer keep up and he seeks peace (and tea) more than anything else...not exactly a fighting machine :P
    Problem is Iroh lost all that belly and built himself up again. He even stated that he wasn't sure he could beat his brother meaning that it was probably a somewhat even battle if it had played out like that. He just worked out in the prison for a couple of months because that's what a lot of prisoners do hehe.

EDIT: If Aang wasn't a pacifist, he probably would have bent Ozai over and showed him who the big dog really was without the Avatar State.
    Hey everyone

Not really, at end of series Sokka drew Iroh with a big stomach and Iroh complained that it's not "that" big anymore. But it's still big. He didn't lose THAT much weight and even so he wasn't in pique condition, he just did some random pullups whenever he could, just so that he could break out and overpower everyone, not to beat the strongest Firebender in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    How's this considered big in the terms of fat.

Also this requires a lot of strength to do casually. He's definitely in shape.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew someone would bring up the prison scene, I'm pretty sure the artists did a massive oopsie because Iroh looked nothing like that the very next time we see him, he was back to being round. The proportions were also completely messed-up (unless Iroh figured out how to make his head smaller), his shoulders/chest became 4x broader than his beard. Using his head as a reference you can also calculate his height, which must have increased by at least 1-1.5 feet.

Just noooooooo, does not compute. Artists/animators dun' goofed.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-05-02 at 09:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew someone would bring up the prison scene, I'm pretty sure the artists did a massive oopsie because Iroh looked nothing like that the very next time we see him, he was round back to being round. The proportions were also completely messed-up (unless Iroh figured out how to make his head smaller), his shoulders/chest became 4x broader than his beard. Using his head as a reference you can also calculate his height, which must have increased by at least 1-1.5 feet.

Just noooooooo, does not compute.
    Damn math people...
    Hey everyone

Well, "fat" or not, he still put himself into pretty good shape. Anyway, you can have a bit of a rounded gut and still be plenty strong.

The thing about Iroh though is, he really didn't change as the story went on. All of his character development happened before the show even started. We only ever learned a little bit more about him as time went on, understanding how he is the way he is now.

From learning what realfirebending was about, to losing his son and entering the spirit world, it shows he he became the cheery old man we saw with Zuko.

The closest thing we really had was the flashback Zuko had, showing how Iroh's humor seemed a little darker back then, laughing about how he was going to burn down Ba Sing Se.

The main thing about his character is just the mystery of events and what exactly happened. I'd assume he met the dragons and sun warriors first, as they alwasy refer to him as the Dragon of the West whenever they mention his attack on Ba Sing Se. Though, I don't think it's made certain if he went to the spirit world before or after his son died. I'd like to think after, as it would give him reason to want to go there, but it's not completely clear on that.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    the main reason i want an iroh comic series is because i want to know how he got so connected into the spirit world. other than aang, he is the only one who could see spirits who didn't want to be (actually, aang couldn't do that either. only those who did want to be) and he is the only non avatar we know of that could willingly travel into the spirit world.

the questions abound with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Cool.

It'll probably be around November or October.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about freaking time we get real confirmation of something. but we still don't even have a season to expect it in...
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    "Late 2013"

Knowing our luck it'll probably start on the 31st December
    Let's hope not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    "Late 2013"

Knowing our luck it'll probably start on the 31st December
    You're a funny one.
    Hey everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    You're a funny one.
    But its so true
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    love to necro, but any further information other than late 2013?