Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    If every 70-80 years bending skill jumps ahead THAT MUCH then either all previous generations were retarded, or they were so far behind that for at least the first few thousand years benders would've have been pretty miserable. E.g. a waterbender managing to levitate a single droplet after 3 hours of meditation.
    I don't think it's bending skill which has improved over the last tons of years. It's availability of training an info. It seemed like only the royal family (and very high ranking military) of firebenders were using lightening, which makes it seem like the how of it was a guarded secret. So anyone who wanted to learn outside those groups had to discover how on their own which takes way longer than having someone show you how. Same with Toph and metalbending. Once she discovered how she could teach others so naturally there were more of them.

Basically the potential in people to do these things was there always, not many of them could get over the hurdle of teaching themselves though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If every 70-80 years bending skill jumps ahead THAT MUCH then either all previous generations were retarded, or they were so far behind that for at least the first few thousand years benders would've have been pretty miserable. E.g. a waterbender managing to levitate a single droplet after 3 hours of meditation.
    well this kind of thing would be expected considering that it wasn't until after the 100 year war that the 4 nations started to work together. before this they all treated each other like other countries and didn't exactly interact aside from a bit of trade and immigration. once republic city came around, the 4 nations were actually compressed into one, in a way. this allowed so many people to interact and bounce ideas off of each other that both technology and bending techniques skyrocketed.

when you think of it, before aang, the 4 nations were somewhat isolationist. that tends to kill progression in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

I think it was just to parallel the increase in technology. Technology had progressed so much, and bending skill had progressed (maybe because of better training techniques) just as much.

You can't say that the generations previous to LoK were dumb because they didn't have cars or airships. So I think it makes sense that their bending techniques would be more primitive as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said way earlier in this thread, LOK's entire concept of bending vs technology strikes as pure stupid, they desperately tried to make it seem as though non-benders could keep up with benders just by learning chi-blocking and equipping a bit of technology. Except that ALL those things are available to benders too, if anything benders should have a pretty significant advantage when it comes to chi-blocking because bending is already grounded in martial arts and commands a certain degree they discipline/fitness. There was nothing stopping benders from equipping electric gloves or steampunk guns either, nobody took a clue from Asami apparently.

I maintain that Amon's primary strength wasn't his blood bending, or even his ability to take bending away - it was his ability to DODGE EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ATTACK EVER. Seriously, that's all there is to him. No bender could land a single projectile attack on him through the entire season until the very end, his entire strategy is dodge > dodge > evade > evade > dodge > chi-block > win.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

As I said way earlier in this thread, LOK's entire concept of bending vs technology strikes as pure stupid, they desperately tried to make it seem as though non-benders could keep up with benders just by learning chi-blocking and equipping a bit of technology. Except that ALL those things are available to benders too, if anything benders should have a pretty significant advantage when it comes to chi-blocking because bending is already grounded in martial arts and commands a certain degree they discipline/fitness. There was nothing stopping benders from equipping electric gloves or steampunk guns either, nobody took a clue from Asami apparently.

I maintain that Amon's primary strength wasn't his blood bending, or even his ability to take bending away - it was his ability to DODGE EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ATTACK EVER. Seriously, that's all there is to him. No bender could land a single projectile attack on him through the entire season until the very end, his entire strategy is dodge > dodge > evade > evade > dodge > chi-block > win.
    Wasn't it implied he sorta used his bending subtly to dodge attacks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Wasn't it implied he sorta used his bending subtly to dodge attacks?
    o_O

At this point I dunno what else was implied/assumed during LoK : /

o_O

At this point I dunno what else was implied/assumed during LoK : /
    I remember a line when Tarrlok does the big reveal where Korra said something like "that's how he kept dodging my attacks" or something.

EDIT:

Mako: We can't. Any attack we throw at him, he'll redirect with his mind. That's how he's been able to challenge any bender.
    Last edited by Drikkink; 2013-08-24 at 01:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    while i do find it a bit rediculus that no bender tried to use the equalist wepons (unless you count iroh since he took the airplanes and all that) you have to remember that chi-blockers have always had an advantage over benders. just look at tai-lee. she could easily take down just about anyone with her chi-blocking.

i think it might have something to do with a bit of clashing martial styles. benders, even pro-benders, aren't really ones for close quarters combat and tend to be a bit direct with their moves. chi-blockers are the exact opposite, they take advantage of the weaknesses of this style by being nimble and weaving all over the place before getting into very close proximity and then attacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Uhhhh Amon was only able to dodge -everything- because he secretly used psychic bloodbending to alter his opponents movements slightly.

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking about this lol, didn't realize there was another page.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and you guys already talked about it. Damnit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look if you want to talk about benders who had more than just bending look no further than Zuko and Azula. Both of them were very athletic and Zuko was very good with dual swords.
    Hey everyone

Aang was also good at the dodge/evade trick too. Hell, it's what Korra tries to learn first day at Airbending U. For the most part, a lot of fights in AtLA and LoK are mostly evading with occasional attacking.

I think it's just poorly done in the show because they make chi-blockers look overpowered. Much like how Tae Li could handle nearly everyone she came across, or Amon himself. I'd assume he figured out he could "take away" bending while learning how to be a chi-blocker in the first place. But since you couldn't have the baddies win TOO much, a lot of the chi-blockers were toned way down later on to let Korra and the gang win.

I suppose it's just weird since you don't see much else in the universe besides bending, bending, bending. You only ever got a few scenes with Zuko (or Sokka) using his swords and such, but they were few and far between. Now that I think about it, did Zuko use swords more often than Sokka? It feels like it.

Honestly, I think it'd be nice to show more characters fight who weren't benders. It'd be interesting to see their action scenes. (Come on, who didn't like the Jet v.s. Zuko fight in AtLA?) Whether it be against or alongside benders.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Aang was also good at the dodge/evade trick too. Hell, it's what Korra tries to learn first day at Airbending U. For the most part, a lot of fights in AtLA and LoK are mostly evading with occasional attacking.

I think it's just poorly done in the show because they make chi-blockers look overpowered. Much like how Tae Li could handle nearly everyone she came across, or Amon himself. I'd assume he figured out he could "take away" bending while learning how to be a chi-blocker in the first place. But since you couldn't have the baddies win TOO much, a lot of the chi-blockers were toned way down later on to let Korra and the gang win.

I suppose it's just weird since you don't see much else in the universe besides bending, bending, bending. You only ever got a few scenes with Zuko (or Sokka) using his swords and such, but they were few and far between. Now that I think about it, did Zuko use swords more often than Sokka? It feels like it.

Honestly, I think it'd be nice to show more characters fight who weren't benders. It'd be interesting to see their action scenes. (Come on, who didn't like the Jet v.s. Zuko fight in AtLA?) Whether it be against or alongside benders.
    You know I don't know why but your post made me think... It's really uncertain how one develops bending, like bending was originally just founded by some random people noticing the moon in terms of the Water Tribe. This leads me to believe technically anyone can bend but who knows...
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You know I don't know why but your post made me think... It's really uncertain how one develops bending, like bending was originally just founded by some random people noticing the moon in terms of the Water Tribe. This leads me to believe technically anyone can bend but who knows...
    Well, I've mentioned it before. If the stories are true, it proves that humans weren't natural benders. I'd assume that, over the coarse of millions of years, it become where some were just hereditary talented in learning it.

Since we see the first Avatar in the next Book, there might be some backstory on the whole deal. It'd be cool to see where they go with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Well, I've mentioned it before. If the stories are true, it proves that humans weren't natural benders. I'd assume that, over the coarse of millions of years, it become where some were just hereditary talented in learning it.

Since we see the first Avatar in the next Book, there might be some backstory on the whole deal. It'd be cool to see where they go with it.
    The Avatar didn't come around until after the fact if I remember correctly. As far as I'm aware, based off of current information it's blurry.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    The Avatar didn't come around until after the fact if I remember correctly. As far as I'm aware, based off of current information it's blurry.
    Yeah, that's the point. My best guess is that humans learning to bend wasn't part of the "natural order" of the world. Since humans are typically portrayed as chaotic/choose your own fate kind of creatures. Since it seems a lot of spirits seem to have a bit of contempt for humanity in the show. It's not like it's a new thing, at least in the whole Gods/spirits being a worldly fact kind of universe.

So, to preserve the "balance" the Avatar was created to look after everything and make sure humans didn't louse it up as we generally do. Since I'm sure Korra and the first Avatar will surely mince words, we'll probably learn more on the history of the Avatar and bending.

Deleted
    Seems like they made a game for Korra.

Haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it's anything good or not.

Edit: Looks pretty neat to me. A standard miniclip.com game. Also, seems like you can unlock wallpapers which can be bought with energy orbs which you can catch through out the game.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-09-09 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a second I thought it was a proper pc/console platform release lol. I'm sure there are plenty of flash games floating around linked to the Avatar franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 more days people. GET PUMPED!

actually only just found out that book 2 will be out in 3 days. Pretty much all the things. Can't wait to watch the new episodes. Anyone know when they will be aired in the UK, or a good site to watch them on?

Quote Originally Posted by Devboy View Post
    actually only just found out that book 2 will be out in 3 days. Pretty much all the things. Can't wait to watch the new episodes. Anyone know when they will be aired in the UK, or a good site to watch them on?
    You could probably go to the main nick site. Back during the first book, they seemed pretty quick about uploading the episodes to the LoK page shortly after it aired (as well as previews for upcoming episodes). They might do the same with this one as well, be something to check on.