Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Duronos the drill episode sucked. Fast forward into S3 and Toph would easily rape the fuck out of that drill, no strategy needed. That weak ass water bending was annoying. Hell, a good earth bender would have even dropped that rock into the critical point of the drill without Aang having to run up the wall and jump on it.
    While I did like the episode, it did have several glaring issues. Considering how the Fire Nation was attacking the Earth capital with, presumebly, a small attack force. Yet, they were easily able to defeat their standing army, AND escape capture after their plan failed. (Seriously, the Fire Princess and her lackies were RIGHT outside the wall...)

Then again, the Earth Kingdom seemed to be built upon imcompetence, so I guess it's understandable...

Or how Toph manages to bend the sludge despite being mostly water and not having any possible way to actually see it while it was inside the metal drill.
    Last edited by Zonas; 2013-08-20 at 02:41 AM.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    While I did like the episode, it did have several glaring issues. Considering how the Fire Nation was attacking the Earth capital with, presumebly, a small attack force. Yet, they were easily able to defeat their standing army, AND escape capture after their plan failed. (Seriously, the Fire Princess and her lackies were RIGHT outside the wall...)

Then again, the Earth Kingdom seemed to be built upon imcompetence, so I guess it's understandable...

Or how Toph manages to bend the sludge despite being mostly water and not having any possible way to actually see it while it was inside the metal drill.
    Katara was bending the water too.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Katara was bending the water too.
    Yeah, but it shows that Toph was the one putting more work into it. As it showed Katara only being able to stop it up right where the drainage pipe ended, then Toph was able to easily push it back deeper into the machine with little effort.

Then, Ty Lee faceplants into her rock pillar after it blows. All for them to somehow ignore her, and teleport to the top of the Wall... Seriously, I don't think it's ever even shown how they get away. It irks me more than anything in the episode. They just get away... Azula, Ty Lee, Amy, the War minister guy, and all of the workers in the drill. They get away with their only means of escape being those tanks that followed the Drill, which have been shown to be really slow and easily beaten...

Now that I think about it, how the hell did they even defeat Ba Sing Se in the first place? From what I remember, there was nothing but open landscape for miles surrounding the city. And the Drill was hella slow. They would have seen it coming a long time ago. Yet all they did was send a small squad of earthbenders, (supposedly the best they had) who were easily beaten by a young girl. Then, their last line of defense was to chuck rocks at it... Remember, this is the capital of the entire Kingdom...

I guess you could make the argument that having the impenetrable wall protecting them made them think they didn't need an actual defense, but considering how Iroh nearly wiped them out before, you'd think they'd wise up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    I guess you could make the argument that having the impenetrable wall protecting them made them think they didn't need an actual defense, but considering how Iroh nearly wiped them out before, you'd think they'd wise up.
    Actually if anything Iroh's defeat only inflated their heads further. The siege lasted 600 days (over 1.6 years!) and the guy only managed to get through the outer wall before giving up due to his son's death. He was literally the ONLY one who managed to do that.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Favourite season for me was Book 2 hands down. It was pure excellency.

As for my favourite episode, it would be Zuko Alone. All the flashbacks as well as being Zuko's standalone episode made it so darn awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Favourite season for me was Book 2 hands down. It was pure excellency.

As for my favourite episode, it would be Zuko Alone. All the flashbacks as well as being Zuko's standalone episode made it so darn awesome.
    I can't say which season I liked the most. The show really hit its stride about 6 episodes into Book 2 and lasted until the last 15 minutes of Book 3. My favorite episodes are Tales of Ba Sing Se and City of Walls and Secrets, but some of my other favorites all happen in Book 3. The Puppetmaster was a brilliant episode and The Beach was very underrated. The Boiling Rock was an incredible part simply because of how Azula became following it. She is my favorite character in any work, bar none. Her complete breakdown in the first couple of episodes of the finale was amazing to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to single out a favorite Book I wouldn't be able to. One thing I can do is tell you what I like about each Book.

Book 1: They traveled a lot and you really saw a lot of the world in this Book, it felt more laid back overall.

Book 2: Starts off a bit slow but really picks up by around episode 5, I enjoy the Desert and Ba Sing Se episodes, think they really hit the nail with Zuko and Iroh in this Book.

Book 3: A bit more serious but still adventurous and it's the first time we get to see the Fire Nation with the Team Avatar there. This Book always has me on my knees because of how well the entire plays out, I love it. The greatest thing about this Book is the second to last episode before the huge last movie-like episode, it was great because it basically retold the entire Avatar story but in a very humorous way. Book 3 was just amazing overall.

Overall each Book has it's own feel, I like Book 1 a lot just as much as the other two. I feel like people don't give it enough love for what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    I can't say which season I liked the most. The show really hit its stride about 6 episodes into Book 2 and lasted until the last 15 minutes of Book 3. My favorite episodes are Tales of Ba Sing Se and City of Walls and Secrets, but some of my other favorites all happen in Book 3. The Puppetmaster was a brilliant episode and The Beach was very underrated. The Boiling Rock was an incredible part simply because of how Azula became following it. She is my favorite character in any work, bar none. Her complete breakdown in the first couple of episodes of the finale was amazing to watch.
    I'd honestly venture to say watching Zuko become the man he became ending with that Agni Kai at the end was a far greater feeling. I just can't hold my emotions back when I start hitting Book 3 episodes towards the end all over again. A:TLA is one of those few things I can watch over and over again.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    A:TLA is one of those few things I can watch over and over again.
    Obviously because Sokka carries the entire show, you know it, admit it :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

Hahahahaha. Oh man, I'm gonna rewatch Avatar again.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not going to disagree.
    Hey everyone

I'd honestly venture to say watching Zuko become the man he became ending with that Agni Kai at the end was a far greater feeling. I just can't hold my emotions back when I start hitting Book 3 episodes towards the end all over again. A:TLA is one of those few things I can watch over and over again.
    Well... I'm about to be lynched for this, but I *gasp* didn't think Zuko was an overly compelling character at the end. He sorta became flat after he "became good". My only real issue with book 3 is the fact that a lot of his character was seemingly sacrificed by joining Aang. Before that, I thought he was a very interesting character, if somewhat predictable. You knew he was going to end up good from pretty much the first season finale and seeing him get there was the best part of him. After he got there, there wasn't much left.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Since someone brave came before me and made a statement, I'll split the hate between us

I don't get the Sokka hype, I think he's the worst in the group (Katara and Zuko are my favourites) I don't really know what to base it off other than the fact that I generally don't like him much, I don't find him particularly funny and he's pretty useless until book 3, but everyone seems to love him
    Because without his tactics, it would have failed. Miserably. He's the underdog. He's funny, sarcastic and cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    Because without his tactics, it would have failed. Miserably. He's the underdog. He's funny, sarcastic and cynical.
    Sokka was an enjoyable character, but he's got nothing on Toph.
    Nobody can defeat the all powerful Melon Lord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Alas, sweet prince! You hath received thine own ass handed to ye.

Deleted
    Since someone brave came before me and made a statement, I'll split the hate between us

I don't get the Sokka hype, I think he's the worst in the group (Katara and Zuko are my favourites) I don't really know what to base it off other than the fact that I generally don't like him much, I don't find him particularly funny and he's pretty useless until book 3, but everyone seems to love him
    It's okay, Muz. I don't like Sokka too. Annoying smart(ass) guys are awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that his tactics were essential but is that really the only reason to like him? I don't find him funny, his sarcasm is.. entertaining, but to me, he's not the great comedy genius some fans portray him as
    The humor in Avatar is very light-hearted and not trying to be anything more than that. When it does happen it's not side-splittingly hilarious but it's still effective without needing to go to any extremes, the writers could almost be called geniuses for finding that perfect balance.
    Most of the love for Sokka stems from the fact that he's an extremely well-rounded character going through a pretty deep arc (or even multiple arcs), him being the comic relief is just one of his more memorable aspects. He can be serious, protective, sarcastic, intelligent, stupid (really stupid), sexist, loving, determined, close-minded, adventurous, etc all at the same time while still maintaining a personality and not coming off as completely schizophrenic. Only one word can describe him: "Adaptable".
    I'm just going to link you to his Personality section of the wikia: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Sokka#Personality

Also if you didn't genuinely laugh at Sokka's role in The Desert then I'm afraid your humor standards are simply too sophisticated, and you need to lay back and drink some cactus juice :S

It'll quench ya'
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-21 at 11:46 AM.

The humor in Avatar is very light-hearted and not trying to be anything more than that. When it does happen it's not side-splittingly hilarious but it's still effective without needing to go to any extremes, the writers could almost be called geniuses for finding that perfect balance.
    Most of the love for Sokka stems from the fact that he's an extremely well-rounded character going through a pretty deep arc (or even multiple arcs), him being the comic relief is just one of his more memorable aspects. He can be serious, protective, sarcastic, intelligent, stupid (really stupid), sexist, loving, determined, close-minded, adventurous, etc all at the same time while still maintaining a personality and not coming off as completely schizophrenic. Only one word can describe him: "Adaptable".
    I'm just going to link you to his Personality section of the wikia: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Sokka#Personality

Also if you didn't genuinely laugh at Sokka's role in The Desert then I'm afraid your humor standards are simply too sophisticated, and you need to lay back and drink some cactus juice :S

It'll quench ya'

As much as I loved Sokka, I will admit myself I didn't always feel that way.

He got SOOO much better as time went on. Book One Sokka wasn't much of a character though. He was there simply because they needed a more "mature", I use that term lightly as such maturity switched between Sokka and Katara at times, and as a comic relief. In Book One however, his comedic value was only at, as was described in the fortune teller episode, as making himself miserable. Basically, he was the squidward of Avatar, minus the completely selfish part to only sometimes selfish.

There's also the part I've come to hate in the final few episodes of the Book... I'll never miss a chance to point out how bad the "romance" is done in LoK. Sad thing is, there was something a bit like that too. Seeing the Northern Water Tribe was a pretty cool, the culture the issues brought on because of it, and the Fire Nation about to knock of their door.

Maybe it was because of that I didn't notice it until later on in the series, but Sokka's romance with Princess Yue was just as nonexistent. They make eye contact for a brief few seconds than they are apparently head over heels for each other. With no actual time together... (Sure, she was going to marry an ass and would probably have taken anyone else, but come one...) All for what? I guess to make it more emotional when she eventually "dies"?

But they really did improve him as time went on. They did with all the characters, making them very likeable for their own reasons. He was more believeable as a character, being funny for other reasons than just causing harm to himself and showing to have better ability in a fight than just running around while Aang shoots air and Katara attempts to water bend.

Sokka > Katara. I don't get how anyone can like Katara, for srs. She's too motherly and critical and shit to like. And the whole thing with her failing to accept Zuko and being an absolute bitch about it (long after everyone else had some to accept him into Team Avatar, and I get that they had the thing in the cave but seriously..) just makes me hate her even more. Sokka at least adds some great comedy relief. He's simple, sarcastic and stupid.. definitely not a comedic genius but still something that's always there to laugh at.

Amg, something that we genuinely disagree on.

Deleted
    (I would've forgiven Zuko first though since wow he's hella attractive)
    What. No way. Zuko is ugly as hell.

I find Katara more relate-able to myself, I know that I would act similarly to her in those situations (I would've forgiven Zuko first though since wow he's hella attractive) but as for being motherly and critical, idk I see myself doing the same Katara is probably the most like me out of the whole group which is why she's my top with Zuko
    Hah, honestly, I find myself most like Azula. And she's pretty much my fave too.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now we're on to favorite characters...

1. Zuko
    2. Sokka
    3. Iroh
    4. Aang
    5. Haru's mustache :3
    Hey everyone