10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Though, I do wonder something. Where was Aang when Korra's father destroyed that spirit forest? Seems like something he'd get involved in, especially after that one panda spirit. Maybe he was on his death bed or something, or just dead.
    From what I gathered the Spirit Forest shenanigans happened about 20 years ago, and since Korra seems to be about 18 Aang was almost dead or maybe even dead. Even if he reacted as soon as he got word of the forest being destroyed, which may have been late since I imagine he was in Republic City, he wouldn't be able to get to the Northern tribe in time to stop the rampaging spirits since I think it happened the night after the forest got destroyed. I guess he could have reopened the spirit portal or something like Korra did but he was possibly even dead at that point anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ispamx View Post
    From what I gathered the Spirit Forest shenanigans happened about 20 years ago, and since Korra seems to be about 18 Aang was almost dead or maybe even dead. Even if he reacted as soon as he got word of the forest being destroyed, which may have been late since I imagine he was in Republic City, he wouldn't be able to get to the Northern tribe in time to stop the rampaging spirits since I think it happened the night after the forest got destroyed. I guess he could have reopened the spirit portal or something like Korra did but he was possibly even dead at that point anyway.
    Korra is 16 IIRC, Aang could have just not been there in time to stop it, or it was settled by the uncle, so he saw no need to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Swizzlington View Post
    Well, how does Kioshi killing that general and making a special place for her people play out in that? Or the water bending avatar who went on a crusade in the spirit world to kill Ko after he stole his love's face? Hell, even Roku didn't act neutrally when he let Sozin live so many times when the true neutral thing to do would be to put him out of his misery before he ever got the chance to start the war. Then again, Roku literally didn't favor any person or nation over another, so I guess he is legit neutral, but that neutrality ended up biting the world in the ass. You need proactive avatars, and you don't get more proactive than Aang who fuckin' founded his own super city.

Korra, as a bender and character, seems to be out classed by all her supports. Could you say the same for Aang?
    I definitely agree with you that Korra's character seems to be weak-willed and less insightful than pretty much every character (even mako, who even though can be childish at times, is able to just ignore all of the social stigmas that everyone else seems to be bound by)

I would like to say though; Kyoshi splitting off her island to be in peace with her town is the ultimate true neutral thing to do. whereas chin the conqueror could have survived if he had only stepped away from the teetering edge that he, in his pride, could not.

Its difficult to make judgements on the water bending avatar because we don't know the whole story either. Its possible that it was a true neutral decision.

and as far as Roku goes; Sozin was Roku's friend, and they had their disagreements but I don't believe that Roku truly thought that Sozin would really become that much of a threat to the 'realm'(GoT term for lack of a better phrase).

I also would kind of like to know of the passing of avatar aang. It just seems odd to me that Katara was able to outlive him.. (unless katara has secretly discovered eternal life with spirit water... but doubtful.) If she just becomes a plot device to tease us eternally about what happened to Zuko's mother I am going to be angry >:[
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    I admit to having a nice diabolic cackle now and then, but it's not like I'm sitting in front of a bank of monitors each filled with an angry forum thread, stroking a siamese cat and telling my henchmen that they've failed me for the last time. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexpower3 View Post
    I also would kind of like to know of the passing of avatar aang. It just seems odd to me that Katara was able to outlive him.. (unless katara has secretly discovered eternal life with spirit water... but doubtful.) If she just becomes a plot device to tease us eternally about what happened to Zuko's mother I am going to be angry >:[
    I'm sure the 100 year hibernation would have taken some sort of toll on his body.

Deleted
    Aang lived what, 160 years ? He was 12 or 13 when he learned he was the Avatar, then he was "frozen" during 100 years. LoK happens 70 years after TLA's end, Korra's around 20, which places Aang's death 50 years after TLA's end. That's not too bad But yeah, I'm pretty sure that he died "early" because of his 100 years being frozen.

That, or he was there when Korra's father drowned the forest and died there. That could make sense, as Korra was born one or two years after Tonraq was banished.

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Aang lived what, 160 years ? He was 12 or 13 when he learned he was the Avatar, then he was "frozen" during 100 years. LoK happens 70 years after TLA's end, Korra's around 20, which places Aang's death 50 years after TLA's end. That's not too bad But yeah, I'm pretty sure that he died "early" because of his 100 years being frozen.

That, or he was there when Korra's father drowned the forest and died there. That could make sense, as Korra was born one or two years after Tonraq was banished.
    Doubt it, would have been mentioned by then. Aang's death might be a thing later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Doubt it, would have been mentioned by then. Aang's death might be a thing later on.
    Wasn't it said by the creators that Aang just died peacefully? I think it was said way back when LoK was sending out its first episodes.

Then again, when I think about it, gap between his death and how old Katarra lived really could be due to Korra's age. They wanted the new Avatar to know someone from AtLA, (ofcourse Katarra is a good choice) but also needed it to make sense for her to be old enough to still be alive for the new teenage Avatar to grow up and meet her.

I suppose the timeline also has to compare to however long it takes for a new Avatar to be born. Perhaps the first year after death? Can't be certain. Hopefully they can give out some nice backstory when Korra goes to the Spirit world, without the whole thing sounding too exposition-y
    Last edited by Zonas; 2013-10-09 at 03:18 PM.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Wasn't it said by the creators that Aang just died peacefully? I think it was said way back when LoK was sending out its first episodes.

Then again, when I think about it, gap between his death and how old Katarra lived really could be due to Korra's age. They wanted the new Avatar to know someone from AtLA, (ofcourse Katarra is a good choice) but also needed it to make sense for her to be old enough to still be alive for the new teenage Avatar to grow up and meet her.

I suppose the timeline also has to compare to however long it takes for a new Avatar to be born. Perhaps the first year after death? Can't be certain. Hopefully they can give out some nice backstory when Korra goes to the Spirit world, without the whole thing sounding too exposition-y
    people tend to live a really long time in avatar, and with katara being a healer this could possibly increase her lifespan even more. i really hope we see zuko soon and his daughter. that will be the peak of this show for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kyoshi lived for 230 years... Let that sink in for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did they kill him off... http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Amon

He was such a good character, even if the show was only slated for one season they could have easily left it on a cliffhanger just in case the show kept going (which it did).
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Kyoshi lived for 230 years... Let that sink in for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did they kill him off... http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Amon

He was such a good character, even if the show was only slated for one season they could have easily left it on a cliffhanger just in case the show kept going (which it did).
    So yeah, like I thought before. He only died at such a young age to allow Katarra to still be alive. Either as fan-service or they thought she'd make a good mentor for Korra.

And yeah... Amon. It really only disappoints me how unnecissary his death was. It only looked like they added it in for shock value alone. Both Noatok and Tarlokk had good reasons for doing what they did, I seriously doubt that there'd be enough guilt and regret to warrent it, even after what Noatok did to his own brother. Though, I'll admit I did like the line he uses, considering the meaning of it.

But yea, I've seen villains do way worse stuff and be redeemed in much better ways. But who knows, maybe we'll see their spirits when Korra sees the first Avatar.

10+ Year Old Account
    So yeah, like I thought before. He only died at such a young age to allow Katarra to still be alive. Either as fan-service or they thought she'd make a good mentor for Korra.

And yeah... Amon. It really only disappoints me how unnecissary his death was. It only looked like they added it in for shock value alone. Both Noatok and Tarlokk had good reasons for doing what they did, I seriously doubt that there'd be enough guilt and regret to warrent it, even after what Noatok did to his own brother. Though, I'll admit I did like the line he uses, considering the meaning of it.

But yea, I've seen villains do way worse stuff and be redeemed in much better ways. But who knows, maybe we'll see their spirits when Korra sees the first Avatar.
    It's interesting for me because Tarlokk regrets everything but doesn't know how to deal with it and feels it's unfix-able. He doesn't believe things will ever be the right way and feels like suicide was a way out...
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    It's interesting for me because Tarlokk regrets everything but doesn't know how to deal with it and feels it's unfix-able. He doesn't believe things will ever be the right way and feels like suicide was a way out...
    I suppose, but even then, Tarlokk's mistakes really had no harsh effect on the world, or even the people as a whole. At best, his actions would have only given a bit of resentment from non-benders to benders for what he did, but the show never gave reason to think that. Even Noatak's actions were fixed in a matter of seconds thanks to Aang, and he never really showed any regret for what he did. All in all, him being "beaten" by Korra wouldn't have made him think differently about benders exploiting their power, yet he seemed perfectly fine with dying.

For the most part though, I guess I can see where Tarlokk was coming from with them just ending it. He even mentions it himself when telling Korra and Mako his story, about how their father's evil and vengeance followed them even after they broke away from him. So, if one were to put the thought into it, you could assume that they thought, even if they started new lives, their father's influence would still haunt them and their actions.

I suppose that reason would be the best, especially considering Tarlokk's last line of it being, "like the good old days," which I loved. Considering from what he's said, they never had any "good old days."

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose, but even then, Tarlokk's mistakes really had no harsh effect on the world, or even the people as a whole. At best, his actions would have only given a bit of resentment from non-benders to benders for what he did, but the show never gave reason to think that. Even Noatak's actions were fixed in a matter of seconds thanks to Aang, and he never really showed any regret for what he did. All in all, him being "beaten" by Korra wouldn't have made him think differently about benders exploiting their power, yet he seemed perfectly fine with dying.

For the most part though, I guess I can see where Tarlokk was coming from with them just ending it. He even mentions it himself when telling Korra and Mako his story, about how their father's evil and vengeance followed them even after they broke away from him. So, if one were to put the thought into it, you could assume that they thought, even if they started new lives, their father's influence would still haunt them and their actions.

I suppose that reason would be the best, especially considering Tarlokk's last line of it being, "like the good old days," which I loved. Considering from what he's said, they never had any "good old days."
    To be honest, the writers did fantastic with the 2 antagonists... Tarlokk became an anti-hero in the end but even I had a sad feeling seeing what happened to them at the end.
    Hey everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Just putting it out there...it's been stated that the reason Aang passed as early as he did was because the stress of maintaining the avatar state while frozen in ice for 100 years put on his body. Plot device? Possibly, but holy fuck does it actually make sense.
    BfA Beta Time

Just putting it out there...it's been stated that the reason Aang passed as early as he did was because the stress of maintaining the avatar state while frozen in ice for 100 years put on his body. Plot device? Possibly, but holy fuck does it actually make sense.
    If he had to somehow maintain the avatar state for 100 years like that, it would make sense..

do you have a source?
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    I admit to having a nice diabolic cackle now and then, but it's not like I'm sitting in front of a bank of monitors each filled with an angry forum thread, stroking a siamese cat and telling my henchmen that they've failed me for the last time. (Source)

That's an interesting thought. Though, I'm not really sure what he was maintaining, wouldn't simply being frozen mean he wouldn't have to maintain it? Ah well, it's Avatar magick, there's a bit of room for leniency.

That could also tie into how Aang was always about to pass out whenever he went into the Avatar state... But I suppose that would just be normal to someone who hasn't mastered it and did it out of a flight/fight response. Since we haven't seen Korra go into the state until she mastered it herself, neither have we seen any of the Avatars do it, there's no way to compare it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexpower3 View Post
    If he had to somehow maintain the avatar state for 100 years like that, it would make sense..

do you have a source?
    Oh god, I can't remember if it was explained in show or at comicon, I can look for it though.

- - - Updated - - -

That's an interesting thought. Though, I'm not really sure what he was maintaining, wouldn't simply being frozen mean he wouldn't have to maintain it? Ah well, it's Avatar magick, there's a bit of room for leniency.

You can see him maintaining the form while he's frozen. IIRC, they were protected by an orb of air mixed with the ice, which is what kept both him and Appa actually alive and not all deaded.
    BfA Beta Time

Oh god, I can't remember if it was explained in show or at comicon, I can look for it though.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see him maintaining the form while he's frozen. IIRC, they were protected by an orb of air mixed with the ice, which is what kept both him and Appa actually alive and not all deaded.
    Well, I just meant how being frozen already kept them alive. Since being frozen in ice and surviving for a years isn't exactly a new concept.

But it can still be different I guess. Especially since he seemed to still be in the Avatar state after he was freed, and when the ice broke, it shot out that big beam of light in the air. Curious though, if he was in the Avatar state the whole time, I wonder what it was like for the spirits of the other Avatars. Since they were all lending him their power at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping Korra will be good tonight. Can't wait since it's about the first Avatar.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Oh, and by the way : http://cheezburger.com/50180

"@NickelodeonTV I heard that there's NO #Korra on Oct. 25th. Is this true?! Please reply!
    @Avatar_Rei As of now, yes because we're airing an entire hour of Korra the week before"