Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Hahaha, right. I suppose if you turn off your brain and ignore the vast amounts of suspensions of disbelief required to make it not a convoluted, plot-hole filled wreck.
    There exists a comment like this one to every story ever. It says nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    There exists a comment like this one to every story ever. It says nothing.
    Bahaha, the words of a person who refuses to believe something they like might have flaws. I love the Avatar franchise, but frankly its just freaking ridiculous for you to say something like that here.

There are a bunch of very significant plotholes that the show expects you to just not question. From Zaheer's absurd powerset that is never explained, Bolin and Mako just randomly finding their family in Ba Sing Se almost immediately despite the show IMMEDIATELY after establishing how hard it is to find anybody in the city, to Mako's plot-convenient amnesia of his Lightning-bending abilities, to Bolin just being a total waste of a character the entire season, Korra STILL being tricked by obviously-evil antagonists three seasons in, the lorebreaking of lavabending, the almost 5 deus ex machina in the finale alone. The list goes on and on. Is that enough for you?

I'd say that your comment is the one which actually says nothing. Realize that people can both like something and still criticize it at the same time.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-08-24 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I agree with you on everything except for Zaheer's flying since they alluded to him being able to really early on. Granted they should have explained how he's finally able to achieve such a great power along side his obsession with that Guru, like he gets some artifact of his or something.
    They did explain. He took the talisman from the air temple and entered the void when he lost P'li. Technically, he still had earthly attachments, his ties and goals with the red lotus.

Bahaha, the words of a person who refuses to believe something they like might have flaws. I love the Avatar franchise, but frankly its just freaking ridiculous for you to say something like that here.

There are a bunch of very significant plotholes that the show expects you to just not question. From Zaheer's absurd powerset that is never explained, Bolin and Mako just randomly finding their family in Ba Sing Se almost immediately despite the show IMMEDIATELY after establishing how hard it is to find anybody in the city, to Mako's plot-convenient amnesia of his Lightning-bending abilities, to Bolin just being a total waste of a character the entire season, Korra STILL being tricked by obviously-evil antagonists three seasons in, the lorebreaking of lavabending. The list goes on and on.

I'd say that your comment is the one which actually says nothing.
    You're quite aggressive. Besides that, none of these are "plot-holes" (besides the lorebreaking of lavabending, but not sure what you're talking about in that case). Try to read the definition of a plot-hole. Most of these things are something that can be subjectively considered extremely unlikely or stupid. I didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha, right. I suppose if you turn off your brain and ignore the vast amounts of suspensions of disbelief required to make it not a convoluted, plot-hole filled wreck.
    Plot holes? I think the creators have done a pretty decent job at explaining various things that would otherwise be pretty hard to swallow in other shows. Heck, even Zaheer being able to fly didn't exactly come out of nowhere, since they foreshadowed it very early on in book 3 by having the poem of that guru basically spelling out what Zaheer wanted to achieve; flight. The whole thing even ties back to how Aang had to learn from guru Pathik how to detach himself from the world to be able to control the Avatar state, since Zaheer still had an earthly attachment to his girlfriend who died in front of him. Plus, the flight ability ties well into the philosophy of airbending when it is basically the element of freedom as Tenzin and Iroh have both pointed out. I don't really see what's the issue here.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2014-08-24 at 01:56 PM.

You're quite aggressive. Besides that, none of these are "plot-holes" (besides the lorebreaking of lavabending, but not sure what you're talking about in that case). Try to read the definition of a plot-hole. Most of these things are something that can be subjectively considered extremely unlikely or stupid. I didn't.
    Its like clockwork. Whenever somebody disagrees with somebody else, the person they're disagreeing with says they're being aggressive. No, I'm not. Stop trying to paint me as some angry person because I don't agree with you. I swear, there needs to be some kind of like mini-infraction system for people who start there comments off with that kind of dodgy vague insult.

And yes, I know the definition of plothole. Zaheer's unexplained powerset is a plot hole. Mako's plot-convenient amnesia of his Lightning-bending abilities until the show needs him to beat Ming-Hua is a plot hole. Lavabending being lorebreaking is a plot hole.

Heck, even Zaheer being able to fly didn't exactly come out of nowhere, since they foreshadowed it very early on in book 3 by having the poem of that guru basically spelling out what Zaheer wanted to achieve; flight.
    Too bad him being so powerful and thus why he can fly is never explained. As I said, plot hole. Also just because they show a poem by the Guru Laghima doesn't establish that he has the power to fly. It shows that Laghima was exceptionally powerful and wise. That's pretty much it.

the whole thing even ties back to how Aang had to learn how to detach himself from the world by guru Pathik to be able to control the Avatar state and the flight ability ties well into the philosophy of airbending when it is the element of freedom.
    This is a HUGE stretch that borders on fanon explanation, since the show doesn't even state this.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-08-24 at 01:55 PM.

Its like clockwork. Whenever somebody disagrees with somebody else, the person they're disagreeing with says they're being aggressive. No, I'm not. Stop trying to paint me as some angry person because I don't agree with you.

And yes, I know the definition of plothole. Zaheer's unexplained powerset is a plot hole. Mako's plot-convenient amnesia of his Lightning-bending abilities until the show needs him to beat Ming-Hua is a plot hole. Lavabending being lorebreaking is a plot hole.
    Something not being explained does not make it a plothole. "Forgetting" is not a plot-hole. What lore is broken by lava-bending?

10+ Year Old Account

There are a bunch of very significant plotholes that the show expects you to just not question. From Zaheer's absurd powerset that is never explained, Bolin and Mako just randomly finding their family in Ba Sing Se almost immediately despite the show IMMEDIATELY after establishing how hard it is to find anybody in the city, to Mako's plot-convenient amnesia of his Lightning-bending abilities, to Bolin just being a total waste of a character the entire season, Korra STILL being tricked by obviously-evil antagonists three seasons in, the lorebreaking of lavabending. The list goes on and on. Is that enough for you?

I'd say that your comment is the one which actually says nothing. Realize that people can both like something and still criticize it at the same time.
    Zaheer was the leader of an elite group of benders and studied the teachings of Guru Lahima BEFORE he even became a bender. It makes sense to me that he'd be pretty amazing since he has the athleticism and philosophy behind it to pull it off.

As for Bolin and Mako finding their parents, shit like this happens all the time in TV shows. Mako not using Lightning-bending was stupid. As for Bolin, I dont think he was worthless and he saved the day twice. Once against combustion girl in the metal city place and then again during the finale.

I didn't see Korra get tricked by the antagonists this season. Not sure what you're on about there. And also how exactly does Lava bending break the lore? I don't remember them ever stating that lava bending was impossible.

Regardless, Season 3 was definitely the best of Legend of Korra.

This is a HUGE stretch that borders on fanon explanation, since the show doesn't even state this.
    how is that a stretch? it's blatantly obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad him being so powerful and thus why he can fly is never explained. As I said, plot hole. Also just because they show a poem by the Guru Laghima doesn't establish that he has the power to fly. It shows that Laghima was exceptionally powerful and wise. That's pretty much it.
    It talks about letting go of earthly attachments. A lot. Zaheer did that when P'li died. Is it ridiculous? Maybe, but poor writing =/= plot hole

Something not being explained does not make it a plothole. "Forgetting" is not a plot-hole. What lore is broken by lava-bending?
    A plot hole, or plothole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation. These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_hole

Plot Holes are those gaps in a story where things happen without a logical reason
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole

How many more definitions to I need to link. Them not explaining something that doesn't make sense is a plot hole. Zaheer, who was a NONBENDER UNTIL A MONTH AGO, achieving a level of airbending power rivaled only by Guru Laghima is a plot hole. Something not even Aang, Tenzin, or Korra could do.

Mako randomly forgetting he can Lightning bend until the show needs him to beat Ming-Hua is a plot hole.

Ghazan, a sole earthbender, lavabending is a plothole when the first series established Lavabending was Earth + Fire combined and only showed an unnamed Fire Nation avatar doing it in TLA.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I had with Season 3 was the villains. Not their characters because I thought there were all cool, but they never went into their backstories and explained why they were doing what they were doing. It was pretty much "anarchy iz awsume, letz kidnap teh avatarz." Although maybe I watch too much anime because it does seem like a lot of western TV shows don't explain why the evil people are doing what they're doing.

Zaheer was the leader of an elite group of benders and studied the teachings of Guru Lahima BEFORE he even became a bender.
    No, no he wasn't. He was just part of the Red Lotus. I don't care that he studied Guru Laghima his entire life. He has been an Airbender for only about a month.

As for Bolin and Mako finding their parents, shit like this happens all the time in TV shows. Mako not using Lightning-bending was stupid. As for Bolin, I dont think he was worthless and he saved the day twice. Once against combustion girl in the metal city place and then again during the finale.
    So because bullshit that shouldn't fly happens in other shows its not alright to point out? Ok then.

I didn't see Korra get tricked by the antagonists this season. Not sure what you're on about there.
    She blatantly goes along with the Earth Queen's plan. While basically realizing she's being used. And her plan is to just keep on doing it and hope she'll keep her end of the bargain after she gets what she wants. Which is blatantly obvious to everybody, including Asami, that she will not.

And also how exactly does Lava bending break the lore? I don't remember them ever stating that lava bending was impossible.
    The Trivia series also written by the TLA creators established that Lavabending was Earth + Firebending. And in the first season the only persons you see doing so are Avatars.

Maybe, but poor writing =/= plot hole
    Actually that is most assuredly one of the definitions of a plot hole.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-08-24 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The only problem I had with Season 3 was the villains. Not their characters because I thought there were all cool, but they never went into their backstories and explained why they were doing what they were doing. It was pretty much "anarchy iz awsume, letz kidnap teh avatarz." Although maybe I watch too much anime because it does seem like a lot of western TV shows don't explain why the evil people are doing what they're doing.
    Would have been neat extra stuff, but then something else would have been cut to make time for it. The only one who (as far as I remember) doesn't have a moment that shows their freedom-love is the water-bender anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_hole

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole

How many more definitions to I need to link. Them not explaining something that doesn't make sense is a plot hole. Zaheer, who was a NONBENDER UNTIL A MONTH AGO, achieving a level of airbending power rivaled only by Guru Laghima is a plot hole. Something not even Aang, Tenzin, or Korra could do.

Mako randomly forgetting he can Lightning bend until the show needs him to beat Ming-Hua is a plot hole.

Ghazan, a sole earthbender, lavabending is a plothole when the first series established Lavabending was Earth + Fire combined and only showed an unnamed Fire Nation avatar doing it in TLA.
    It was never stated that it was a combination of the two elements in the series. In fact, we haven't seen a single bending style that combines two elements into one. People just assumed that it was a combination of the two.

There are a bunch of very significant plotholes that the show expects you to just not question. From Zaheer's absurd powerset that is never explained, Bolin and Mako just randomly finding their family in Ba Sing Se almost immediately despite the show IMMEDIATELY after establishing how hard it is to find anybody in the city, to Mako's plot-convenient amnesia of his Lightning-bending abilities, to Bolin just being a total waste of a character the entire season, Korra STILL being tricked by obviously-evil antagonists three seasons in, the lorebreaking of lavabending, the almost 5 deus ex machina in the finale alone. The list goes on and on. Is that enough for you?

Zaheer mentioned that the red lotus "which includes himself" knew how to train korra already. He knew airbending, he was a great bender in his own right, just without the powers.
    Its been mentioned that lighting bending is attached to fire, which Mako did. Bolin was most probably the 2nd or 3rd most important character this season.

Its really just personal nitpicks of yours. Its all your opinion, whats stupid is to tout it as fact, especially when the mass majority do not agree.
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Season 3 was pretty good in my opinion, but did anyone else wish there were more fights? Don't get me wrong, the fights that happened were awesome, especially in the later episodes, but... I just wish there was more.
    Currently Procrastinating

It was never stated that it was a combination of the two elements in the series. In fact, we haven't seen a single bending style that combines two elements into one. People just assumed that it was a combination of the two.
    Yes, yes it was. So. You're just wrong here. The "Avatar Extras" series which basically are trivia points that play during the first series was written by the TLA creators and establishes that Lavabending is Earth + Fire. And the only persons you see doing Lavabending in TLA are Avatars with access to both styles.

Zaheer mentioned that the red lotus "himself" knew how to train korra already. He knew airbending, he was a great bender in his own right, just without the powers.
    No he didn't. He said the plan was for the Red Lotus collectively to kidnap Korra and basically brainwash her to follow their philosophy. In fact, it was Unalaq's plan to do this. All the show said was that Zaheer was a follower of Guru Laghima's teaching. They never state he was an Airbender without the powers.

Its been mentioned that lighting bending is attached to fire, which Mako did. Bolin was most probably the 2nd or 3rd most important character this season.
    Did...did you just like misread my point. I never said Mako shouldn't Lightningbend. I said that he had convenient amnesia that he could do it until the show needed him to beat Ming-Hua. Because we most definitely see him using it in both Seasons 1 and 2.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-08-24 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Going to leave this here. Oh, you should also go back and watch book 1, "Leaf in the Wind", where Tenzin also outright states that air is the element of freedom.

Also, Tenzin was and is more powerful than Zaheer regardless of his newfound flight. He is good, but not a master airbender.

Plus, don't tell me that Zaheer unlocking flight has nothing to do with chakras and detachment of earthly desires. The parallels are clearly there.

"Let go of your earthly tether,
    Enter the void,
    Empty and become wind."
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2014-08-24 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Its really just personal nitpicks of yours. Its all your opinion, whats stupid is to tout it as fact, especially when the mass majority do not agree.
    Lava bending really is his best point. It really doesn't make sense, but it didn't kill the show for me or anything