10+ Year Old Account
    ^ I like S1 the best, as well. The character development was the best in that book, I believe. We saw Korra go from being cocky and hotheaded to learning the meaning of patience and discipline. In book two she displayed some of those traits but did get aggressive when needed, but in book three I feel like she was more like she was at the beginning of the show, always finding something to yell about. And not just Korra, but every character showed personal growth in book one, whereas some characters felt stagnant in book three. I feel like Asami could be a much better character (and get a lot more action/be a bigger part of the team), but they didn't really have her do much in book three, I felt.

I'm still confused regarding something. At the end of book 2, it was said that Korra's connection with her past lives was severed due to her fight with Vaatu. Prior to that, we saw her use the Avatar State somewhat frequently, even at will, like when she uses it in her race with Jinora and the kids. My memory is a little fuzzy but I believe she only used it twice in book three, whereas she used it 17 times (just looked it up) between books one and two. Does the severing of her past lives also weaken her ability to use it at will, or make it less potent or something? There were a few moments in book three when I was just waiting for her to use it but she never did.

I feel that maybe the writers don't want her to use it too much because they don't want to rely it on as a crutch (its basically going Super Saiyan), but at the same time I would rather see her use it and kick some ass instead of her getting beat and Jinora coming in to save the day all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Am I the only one who still thinks S1 was the best? I liked S2/3, don't get me wrong, but I liked Amon, as a villain.
    The ending ruined it for me. I thought Amon was cool until the reveal. My guess that it was actually Aang might have been unrealistic looking back, but I was so disappointed he was a nobody explained just before the big fight, and that his valid "equality" movement was all BS. It was also too nicely tied up at the end, with everybody getting their bending back and such. With Korra still being a rebel in Season 2, it almost seemed like nothing important really happened in that first season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    ^ I like S1 the best, as well. The character development was the best in that book, I believe. We saw Korra go from being cocky and hotheaded to learning the meaning of patience and discipline. In book two she displayed some of those traits but did get aggressive when needed, but in book three I feel like she was more like she was at the beginning of the show, always finding something to yell about. And not just Korra, but every character showed personal growth in book one, whereas some characters felt stagnant in book three. I feel like Asami could be a much better character (and get a lot more action/be a bigger part of the team), but they didn't really have her do much in book three, I felt.

I'm still confused regarding something. At the end of book 2, it was said that Korra's connection with her past lives was severed due to her fight with Vaatu. Prior to that, we saw her use the Avatar State somewhat frequently, even at will, like when she uses it in her race with Jinora and the kids. My memory is a little fuzzy but I believe she only used it twice in book three, whereas she used it 17 times (just looked it up) between books one and two. Does the severing of her past lives also weaken her ability to use it at will, or make it less potent or something? There were a few moments in book three when I was just waiting for her to use it but she never did.

I feel that maybe the writers don't want her to use it too much because they don't want to rely it on as a crutch (its basically going Super Saiyan), but at the same time I would rather see her use it and kick some ass instead of her getting beat and Jinora coming in to save the day all the time.
    She only did it once in Book 3 at the end I think. With none to connect to, she probably couldn't do it unless she was near death, and then she probably just connected more deeply to Raava.

Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about your opinion on the character development across the seasons, but for me it's almost the complete opposite. She spend her time learning patience and all that during Season 1, but at the beginning of Season 2, she was as cocky as ever, and it was first at the end of Season 2 that the characters' growth stuck. One of the highlights for me in Season 3 was that I found Korra and the other characters much more enjoyable after they'd grown out of their hotheadedness and etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    She only did it once in Book 3 at the end I think. With none to connect to, she probably couldn't do it unless she was near death, and then she probably just connected more deeply to Raava.

Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about your opinion on the character development across the seasons, but for me it's almost the complete opposite. She spend her time learning patience and all that during Season 1, but at the beginning of Season 2, she was as cocky as ever, and it was first at the end of Season 2 that the characters' growth stuck. One of the highlights for me in Season 3 was that I found Korra and the other characters much more enjoyable after they'd grown out of their hotheadedness and etc.
    She does it at the beginning of book 3 when she's clearing the vines from Republic City, but other than that we don't see it until Zaheer poisons her. It's really a shame, I hope they somehow find a way to connect her with her past lives again. She just doesn't feel like the Avatar anymore, but more like a super-bender who has mastered all four elements and goes Super Saiyan now and than. Being an Avatar is more about being good at bending or having power. It would also suck if we don't get to see Aang again

They should make the characters more consistent, IMO. I still like the characters and feel that they all have something unique to bring to the show, but I just think their development could be a lot better. Lin was one character who I think displayed tremendous growth in book three after the whole thing with her sister. The same goes for Kai, who goes from a hoodrat to basically saving the day by managing to track down where they were holding Korra. On the other hand, Asami didn't really get that much action this season, and Bolin was kind of just "there" until the final few episodes. I also find his jokes to be...not that funny. I feel like they want him to be the "Sokka" in the series but I don't think he fills the comedic role quite as well as Sokka did. Korra to me seems unstable/bipolar as hell, and in that last scene she appears to be at her absolute lowest, so it'll be interesting to see how write her in the final book.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Amon more than any villain in the Avatar universe right up until the point I heard the name "Noatak" uttered.

She does it at the beginning of book 3 when she's clearing the vines from Republic City, but other than that we don't see it until Zaheer poisons her. It's really a shame, I hope they somehow find a way to connect her with her past lives again. She just doesn't feel like the Avatar anymore, but more like a super-bender who has mastered all four elements and goes Super Saiyan now and than. Being an Avatar is more about being good at bending or having power. It would also suck if we don't get to see Aang again

They should make the characters more consistent, IMO. I still like the characters and feel that they all have something unique to bring to the show, but I just think their development could be a lot better. Lin was one character who I think displayed tremendous growth in book three after the whole thing with her sister. The same goes for Kai, who goes from a hoodrat to basically saving the day by managing to track down where they were holding Korra. On the other hand, Asami didn't really get that much action this season, and Bolin was kind of just "there" until the final few episodes. I also find his jokes to be...not that funny. I feel like they want him to be the "Sokka" in the series but I don't think he fills the comedic role quite as well as Sokka did. Korra to me seems unstable/bipolar as hell, and in that last scene she appears to be at her absolute lowest, so it'll be interesting to see how write her in the final book.
    The theme of Korra seems to be about looking at the Avatar's role, with many thinking Korra will be the last Avatar somehow.

I think Asami and Bolin were fine this season, they had a lot of moments. I don't really know where they'd squeeze in more Asami. If the seasons were 7 episodes longer, we could have it all in there somewhere, but with smaller seasons, you have to pick and choose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    that doesn't really fly. he shot lightning at amon with enough power to just stun him.

- - - Updated - - -

p'li dying was zaheer's release. she was his only mortal attachment to the world. it was like aang letting go of katara to enter the avatar state in the crystal catacombs.
    Ahh ok yeah that makes more sense. I wish they'd had him start flying right away then, or look over at P'li's corpse or something to make it more clear.

Is it just me or did they really step up the fighting this season? It seemed really well choreographed and the benders were more clever in the way they used their bending.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    Is it just me or did they really step up the fighting this season? It seemed really well choreographed and the benders were more clever in the way they used their bending.
    Mentioned this on the previous page too, glad I'm not the only one that think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    One of the best things about the series IMO. We've seen way more fighting already than we did in all of The Last Airbender combined, which is awesome. The action sequences are definitely a strong point - some other aspects of the show could use some work, though

It's also a lot more violent and brutal. I feel like they're actually trying to kill each other; its more of a "grown-up" show. And it feels appropriate, too. I think they wanted to target the same audience that watched The Last Airbender and realized that the people who watched it were probably teenagers at the time and have grown up a bit since, so they made the show darker and more violent, i.e. they made the show "grow" along with its fanbase. One thing I noticed is that they actually use the words "die" and "kill", whereas I don't think we heard either of those words in TLA. If it wasn't for Nickelodeon, we'd probably have blood as well.

One of the best things about the series IMO. We've seen way more fighting already than we did in all of The Last Airbender combined, which is awesome. The action sequences are definitely a strong point - some other aspects of the show could use some work, though

It's also a lot more violent and brutal. I feel like they're actually trying to kill each other; its more of a "grown-up" show. And it feels appropriate, too. I think they wanted to target the same audience that watched The Last Airbender and realized that the people who watched it were probably teenagers at the time and have grown up a bit since, so they made the show darker and more violent, i.e. they made the show "grow" along with its fanbase. One thing I noticed is that they actually use the words "die" and "kill", whereas I don't think we heard either of those words in TLA. If it wasn't for Nickelodeon, we'd probably have blood as well.
    The fact that the main characters are teenagers definitely helps make the series vastly more mature. Zaheer's suffocating move and the way P'Li died were pretty gruesome.

I would expect the bending to get more extreme from the last series. If it was the same old thing, people would get bored of it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Ahh ok yeah that makes more sense. I wish they'd had him start flying right away then, or look over at P'li's corpse or something to make it more clear.
    he basically watched her explode. the close up on his face shows he sees what happened. during the close up, you see that he steels himself and then drops with korra, this is probably when he was able to "enter the void".

Quote Originally Posted by Achren View Post
    I couldn't bother reading through all the nitpicking about this season, but I'd just like to point out that lavabending (while it might be as KrazyK923 says that in the Avatar extra stuff that I personally never heard of states that it is a combination between fire and earth) to me looks like pretty much the reversal of waterbending with ice. Waterbenders cool down their water until it becomes ice, so it shouldn't at all be far-fetched that earthbenders can heat their earth up until it becomes lava.

Then again, I always found it strange that waterbenders could turn water into ice, since that basically would mean energybending, which more or less is firebending.
    Technically, all bending is energybending, kinetic energy and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    he basically watched her explode. the close up on his face shows he sees what happened. during the close up, you see that he steels himself and then drops with korra, this is probably when he was able to "enter the void".
    Yeah that's true, but I just wanted him to look over the second before he flies and says the poem. Not incredibly necessary but would've been nice for clarity's sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Yeah that's true, but I just wanted him to look over the second before he flies and says the poem. Not incredibly necessary but would've been nice for clarity's sake.
    I would've liked to see the explosion itself, but I guess that's asking for too much given the fact that its a Nickelodeon show.

I would've liked to see the explosion itself, but I guess that's asking for too much given the fact that its a Nickelodeon show.
    How would they show that? Not a lot of space inside that helmet!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    How would they show that? Not a lot of space inside that helmet!
    Haha They could have added the sound effect of the explosion (we heard her firing her combustion beam whatever, but not the "BOOM" itself), then shown a bunch of metal scraps on the ground with a faint image of a body in the background, something like that.

But like I said, way too graphic for a Nickeloden show. I'm surprised they even let her die that way (same with Zaheer's asphyxiation move), its a lot more gruesome than anything we've seen in past seasons. Pretty happy overall with it.

Haha They could have added the sound effect of the explosion (we heard her firing her combustion beam whatever, but not the "BOOM" itself), then shown a bunch of metal scraps on the ground with a faint image of a body in the background, something like that.

But like I said, way too graphic for a Nickeloden show. I'm surprised they even let her die that way (same with Zaheer's asphyxiation move), its a lot more gruesome than anything we've seen in past seasons. Pretty happy overall with it.
    Maybe that's why it moved on the web? /tinfoil hat

Honestly, the way they showed it happen in the show made me think they had cut out a few seconds of footage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone got confirmation on how many episodes book 4 will have? If its true it will be the last one for the entire series, perhaps 20 episodes at most or 21 will be all that they need to deliver on everything that hasn't been answered yet.