Page 4 of 410 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    Ok, now compare Naruto to Cowboy Bebop....
    Pointless arguement. you can ignore the fact of what "Anime" means, But it wont change it.
    If you really think you have a point go look up what an Anime is, as in the definition.
    Wether it matters or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AmerikanRejekt View Post
    That's a completely irrational assessment from merely watching the first two episodes. :T

Give it time, bro.
    I'm just giving my assessment of the pilot and when compared to the original series the pilot was lacking in conflict. Avatar has excellent writers and I trust that they will take it someplace interesting and not just have Korra fighting petty criminals while learning airbending but that is what we saw in the pilot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Pointless arguement. you can ignore the fact of what "Anime" means, But it wont change it.
    If you really think you have a point go look up what an Anime is, as in the definition.
    Wether it matters or not.
    The only thing that sets it apart from other traditional "animes" is the fact that it isn't japanese animated series that was dubbed into english. The style on the other hand (artistically) is very very similar to animes. So no the argument isn't pointless and I still stand by "american anime" being a very apt way to label the saga.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Avatar is one of my all time favorite series and I LOVE this show, I have not watched episode 2 yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    I understand flying bison are an Air Nomad/Tribe thing, but they're so much more awesome than polar bear-dogs...and Appa (along with Momo) had soooo much more personality than Naga does.

I dunno... thoughts, anyone?
    I like Naga... I like Dogs and I think she is adorable, but I have one question.... I thought Appa was the only sky bison left? Or am I mistaken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, gonna try to find the leaked episode when I get home
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    I'm just giving my assessment of the pilot and when compared to the original series the pilot was lacking in conflict. Avatar has excellent writers and I trust that they will take it someplace interesting and not just have Korra fighting petty criminals while learning airbending but that is what we saw in the pilot.
    What we saw in the pilot was an opportunity for Korra to help Tenzin restore the Republic City back to the vision that Aang and Zuko had for it while simultaneously growing into the Avatar that she is to become.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    Awesome, gonna try to find the leaked episode when I get home
    there's no need just go here http://www.korranation.com/
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

this was a pleasant suprise for me today, i may be 30, but i still loves me some cartoons - loved the original series and hope this second series is as quality, will thoroughly enjoy watching it anyways as i love the world they live in.

yay for more cartoons!

edit: yay for more avatar!
    Last edited by smokii; 2012-03-26 at 08:49 AM.
    <insert witty signature here>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    The only thing that sets it apart from other traditional "animes" is the fact that it isn't japanese animated series that was dubbed into english. The style on the other hand (artistically) is very very similar to animes. So no the argument isn't pointless and I still stand by "american anime" being a very apt way to label the saga.
    Is that like calling WoW a Korean mmo in say vanilla when it took so long to level up, or say calling wow just a custom dungeons and dragons pc game becuase it has dragons and orcs and dwarves, might as well call it a tolkien rip off while we are at it? Borrowing art styles is a nod to or just admiration for the style, really looking at a lot of the emotions and philosophies of the original series you can see it was very western in origin. If you think using large eyes and over exaggerated facial expressions equals anime then that is a very short sighted perspective.

10+ Year Old Account

Talking

Anime is a style of cartoon and not simply a "japanese cartoon".

I'm already in love with the show! Not only did they manage to make a Female character (Korra) look amazing, they manage to give a unique personality to all the characters we saw so far. IMO, this is going to be a great exemple for all the animated series that are to come. It shows that female characters CAN be interesting, FINALLY!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    Also, what happened to Toph? I was hoping she'd show up extremely old but still full of vigor like Boomy in the first series.
    I don't think it has been said if Toph is alive or not. What we do know is that after the events of the first series she set up a school to train Metal bending. That school eventually turning into the police force of Empire City and that Toph's daughter is their commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerra View Post
    Is that like calling WoW a Korean mmo in say vanilla when it took so long to level up, or say calling wow just a custom dungeons and dragons pc game becuase it has dragons and orcs and dwarves, might as well call it a tolkien rip off while we are at it? Borrowing art styles is a nod to or just admiration for the style, really looking at a lot of the emotions and philosophies of the original series you can see it was very western in origin. If you think using large eyes and over exaggerated facial expressions equals anime then that is a very short sighted perspective.
    The difference is "Korean MMO" and "custom D&D pc game" are both a specific genre. Anime is not a genre, it is a medium. You wouldn't say Saw and Toy Story are both horror movies(genre) but you could say they are both movies (medium). Now, it is true that Anime is now used most of the time to describe animation that is made in Japan but I have also heard people call animation from Korea anime as well.

Anime is really just a japanese term for animation, any animation. So by the most basic definition, Avatar could be called anime. But for clarity sake, it would probably be better to call it an anime influenced western made animation. But that is pretty wordy. There is also the fact that I would say that most anime fans would also quite enjoy The Last Airbender so it gets grouped in with anime quite a bit. It has alot more in common with anime then with most of the cartoons made in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually decided to re-watch the original Avatar series earlier this week. It is probably one of my favorite shows, certainly my favorite cartoon/anime. I had heard that Legend of Korra was in the works some time ago, but had kind of forgotten about it until now. Now I am giddy and eagerly anticipating the premier in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    I understand flying bison are an Air Nomad/Tribe thing, but they're so much more awesome than polar bear-dogs...and Appa (along with Momo) had soooo much more personality than Naga does.
    Amon doesn't seem like he could be that much of a threat, at least not comparable to Mark Hamill's Fire-lord Ozai, but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to see how he develops and what he's really up to.
    You seem to be comparing the first two episodes to the entire first season of Avatar. Appa didn't do much in the first few episodes and Oozai was barely even mentioned in the first season. The first season was all about Zuko and Zhao.

Hell, if you ask me Korra is already doing better than Avatar did because we're getting more focus on Korra being an avatar right from the start rather than HUUR DUUR ISN'T AANG FUNNY?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    futuristic? maybe if it was 1890
    Hence why Irisel said compared to the original.

At first I didn't think I would like it as much as the original because I wouldn't get that same emotional attachment to the characters but after 2 episodes I'm already eagerly awaiting for there stories to unroll.

Also if anyone knows how to do the black bar spoiler thingy tell me!

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker View Post
    Avatar is one of my all time favorite series and I LOVE this show, I have not watched episode 2 yet though.

I like Naga... I like Dogs and I think she is adorable, but I have one question.... I thought Appa was the only sky bison left? Or am I mistaken.
    Nope Aangs son rode a flying bison to meet Korra and it deff wasn't Aapa
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Hell, if you ask me Korra is already doing better than Avatar did because we're getting more focus on Korra being an avatar right from the start rather than HUUR DUUR ISN'T AANG FUNNY?!
    [/U][/B]
    I Heard that every episode has something to do with the story, so by that i hope it means no fillers.. In the first avatar there was quite alot with adventuring where they meet some new people that only have meaning for a episode or two...

I love how avatar balanced a potent story with side things especially the episode for Iroh's son.
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post

Also if anyone knows how to do the black bar spoiler thingy tell me!

Nope Aangs son rode a flying bison to meet Korra and it deff wasn't Aapa
    for the spoiler, just use [spoiler ] [/spoiler ] but remove the space after r in them.

I was wondering about that Sky Bison as well since it was not Appa, it had different colors and I thought Appa was the last of his kind. Unless Sky Bison can reproduce asexually or something.

Slowly loading enough of the video to watch it without crappy interruptions.

Slowly...

That was awsome, now I can't wait for more
    Inspecting raid instance floors since 2005

Deleted
    Not sure if it's just the idea that these benders aren't as natural as Avatar & Co, but the power of bending seems to have been toned down a bit, looking mainly at the second episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    for the spoiler, just use [spoiler ] [/spoiler ] but remove the space after r in them.

I was wondering about that Sky Bison as well since it was not Appa, it had different colors and I thought Appa was the last of his kind. Unless Sky Bison can reproduce asexually or something.
    http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Appa
    Due to Appa being a male and the implications of Appa being the last sky bison, it was speculated that the species would become extinct upon his death. However, it is mentioned that a flock of sky bison was discovered after the War.
    Funny thing is, they had originally intended Appa to give birth to a litter of Sky Bison in the final season finale. But that idea was later thrown out.