10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchaeus View Post
    To be fair though, the TLA movie was mostly bad because of M. Night Shyamalan. Also, there was just so much story to be told if the goal of the movie was to follow the story of TLA. What would have worked better in that case would have been to have the movie plot be some new adventure that took place sometime after the events of the series.

But, if done right with a better director, a movie could work. /shrug
    There was too much content for a movie.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Agreed, but his idea was to make 3 movies which is something that Hollywood would be willing to green-light assuming the first one went well.

If he was to break each movie into two parts to cover all the content, that would be 6 movies total...way too much. A:TLA isn't Harry Potter :P

I believe it was doable. The majority of episodes in the books could be considered "filler-style" and you could freely skip half of them without missing out on any critical characters or storylines. Just look at Book 1 alone - Imprisoned, Winter Solstice Part 1, The Great Divide, The Fortuneteller, Northern Air Temple...alright so some of those had some really important bits, but one could easily take just most crucial bits out of those episodes and skip the rest.

A good director (and a decent cast) could've done it in 2.5 hours.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Not really. M. Night just had no idea what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Virothe View Post
    Not really. M. Night just had no idea what he was doing.
    This was exactly the problem. M. Night Shyamalan is just a terrible director. Even for the content he did fit into the movie, he screwed it up royally. Take the Fire Nation attack on the Northern Water Tribe for example. In the series, this was an awesome display of the power of the Avatar State, when the moon spirit was killed and Aang became that monstrous water creature . In the movie? Just... I can't even describe how badly he handled that.

This was exactly the problem. M. Night Shyamalan is just a terrible director. Even for the content he did fit into the movie, he screwed it up royally. Take the Fire Nation attack on the Northern Water Tribe for example. In the series, this was an awesome display of the power of the Avatar State, when the moon spirit was killed and Aang became that monstrous water creature . In the movie? Just... I can't even describe how badly he handled that.
    I saw my grandpa watching that movie. After seeing the original show to see that, my god. It was horrible. Firebenders can only firebend if there is fire around? What kind of ludicrous stuff is that. Then you had the fact he had the main characters name pronounced wrong the entire time. I truly think it could have been an awesome movie in the hands of a competent director. One who didn't change everyone's names, Key features of the characters (lack of a pony tail and scar on zuko), and miss crucial information.

In the end, I just got up and walked about before the movie drove me nuts. I couldn't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I saw my grandpa watching that movie. After seeing the original show to see that, my god. It was horrible. Firebenders can only firebend if there is fire around? What kind of ludicrous stuff is that. Then you had the fact he had the main characters name pronounced wrong the entire time. I truly think it could have been an awesome movie in the hands of a competent director. One who didn't change everyone's names, Key features of the characters (lack of a pony tail and scar on zuko), and miss crucial information.

In the end, I just got up and walked about before the movie drove me nuts. I couldn't stand it.
    Remember how all the brown characters were played by white actors?

Oh man, that sure was accurate to the show. He did a good job!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    :O OMG what could it be?
    Sound bending. Definitely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    Sound bending. Definitely.
    Sounds like a cool idea, even more hyped about the new season now :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelgius View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea, even more hyped about the new season now :3
    I could be thinking into this a bit too much and comparing it to Naruto, but ninjas from the Village of Sound used a lot of air pressure to damage enemies etc and it would explain how the Airbenders fought off the Firebenders etc at the temples. :3

:O so you really mean vibration bending.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    :O so you really mean vibration bending.
    Vibration/Sound bending, tom-art-oh, tom-ate-oh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    I could be thinking into this a bit too much and comparing it to Naruto, but ninjas from the Village of Sound used a lot of air pressure to damage enemies etc and it would explain how the Airbenders fought off the Firebenders etc at the temples. :3
    Hmm yes it's always been a bit of a mystery how all those firebender skeletons/armor were found at the Air Temple, as if the monks (or maybe just Gyatso on his own?) literally pulled out ATTACKING air-bending moves, moves which Aang never learned.
    If it was just standard wind-knocking moves then those firebenders should've been blown clean off the mountain, but something made them die all within the temple somehow.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-03-19 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh cripes, I hope it's not something as simple as "a bomb" or Souzin getting his own soldiers killed :S

I'm finding myself wishing there are "forbidden" techniques developed by the Air Nomads, techniques had been banned (or suppressed) to help keep the peace and to make sure the nomads kept their distance from war and violence. I mean come on, how can a whole nation like that not have a single bad monk who decided to experiment how air bending could fuck-up a person in ways other than blowing them around? Come on writers, do it!

E.g. Shaolin monks were "peaceful", yet they sought mental/physical discipline through martial arts i.e. beating people up in fancy ways :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Oh cripes, I hope it's not something as simple as "a bomb" or Souzin getting his own soldiers killed :S

I'm finding myself wishing there are "forbidden" techniques developed by the Air Nomads, techniques had been banned (or suppressed) to help keep the peace and to make sure the nomads kept their distance from war and violence. I mean come on, how can a whole nation like that not have a single bad monk who decided to experiment how air bending could fuck-up a person in ways other than blowing them around? Come on writers, do it!

E.g. Shaolin monks were "peaceful", yet they sought mental/physical discipline through martial arts i.e. beating people up in fancy ways :P
    You could rip the air right out of someone's lungs... My friend thought up quite a few very frightening air bender moves which could totally destroy individuals but i don't remember all of them off the top of my head.

To be fair though, the TLA movie was mostly bad because of M. Night Shyamalan. Also, there was just so much story to be told if the goal of the movie was to follow the story of TLA. What would have worked better in that case would have been to have the movie plot be some new adventure that took place sometime after the events of the series.

But, if done right with a better director, a movie could work. /shrug
    Oh speaking of that travesty... I was watching TV the other day and a trailer for some movie came on (honestly don't remember which one now) but this quote was in the trailer "critics call it an animated Avatar!" and my head nearly exploded right then and there ><

Come to think of it... maybe they meant the blue people avatar... I really hope so, that would make me feel much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely Life of Pi, it is widely said to be "as visually stunning as Avatar" and "the next Avatar"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Most likely Life of Pi, it is widely said to be "as visually stunning as Avatar" and "the next Avatar"
    o_O
    Whoever said that, I don't know what the hell they were smoking. I've seen both movies in 3D on the big screen, and while the CGI/effects are great, Avatar is on a whole another goddamn level.
    But I will admit that the animals in Life of Pi were animated splendidly, for the first few minutes I didn't realize the Bengal Tiger was animated until I noticed some small oddities with the way it moved and the fur coat looking slightly artificial, especially later when it reacted with wind/water. The scary part is that they are almost fucking there, they are so close! However animating people to look as good as real-life is still far away because as humans we recognize the minor/subtle details in human faces incredibly well, about 10000x better than any computer can today. They can get away with animals :P

Wait where was this going...oh yeah, Air Bending being used to brutally kill people in R18 ways. Mmmm yeah.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-03-19 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    Hmm yes it's always been a bit of a mystery how all those firebender skeletons/armor were found at the Air Temple, as if the monks (or maybe just Gyatso on his own?) literally pulled out ATTACKING air-bending moves, moves which Aang never learned.
    If it was just standard wind-knocking moves then those firebenders should've been blown clean off the mountain, but something made them die all within the temple somehow.
    Im going to go with changing the pressure in the air, bending the air out of their lungs or using vibrations in the air to kill them. It's probably uber forbidden like you said but it's definitely something Korra would learn.
    Bending the air out of the lungs and bending blood in the body. Dayum, Korra needs to learn Bloodbending and this bending too.

10+ Year Old Account

i went into this a little while ago. they could suck the air out of a person's lungs, which would knock them out in 15 seconds on average. or they could increase pressure around people (sudden increase of 3-5 psi from normal can kill a man) it's actually suprisingly easy for an airbender to kill. the issue with aang however is that he was too attached to his people's culture to ever consider these, however when everyone else is being hunted down by super powered fire benders they are more willing to change (or at least some of them would be).

as for the discussion of next season.... we might figure out who lin's father is??? booyah
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    i went into this a little while ago. they could suck the air out of a person's lungs, which would knock them out in 15 seconds on average. or they could increase pressure around people (sudden increase of 3-5 psi from normal can kill a man) it's actually suprisingly easy for an airbender to kill. the issue with aang however is that he was too attached to his people's culture to ever consider these, however when everyone else is being hunted down by super powered fire benders they are more willing to change (or at least some of them would be).

as for the discussion of next season.... we might figure out who lin's father is??? booyah
    Read my post above yours, heh. Same ideology. :3
    Yeah, Lin's father... Hmm. Haru or a new character?