Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    MOvie was o-kay but not as good as the book.
    A few things that could've made the movie better.
    1. make Katniss more of an underdog, a struggle to survive. they made her seem like she had a chance in the arena.
    2. The little nuances haymitch gives to Katniss in the arena that allow her to survive. Whens shes dehydrated and needs water, he doesn't help her because she is already near water.
    3. a bit more revealing death scenes, i didn't like how clove died at all, a rock to the head is still PG 13 in my mind.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read the book a few months ago around the time the movie started to make some buzz and I honestly didn't expect much out of either. But after tearing through the initial book I was completely hooked and very very leery of the film adaptation. To my surprise however, though some things had been changed to fit the movie, like the origin of the pin, the alterations didn't disrupt my genuine enjoyment of the film. As far as film adaptations go I felt The Hunger Games did a fantastic job of bringing the pages to life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Perhaps the other books are different, but I found the first one to be incredibly "teen-friendly". Heroic teen figure(s), watered-down violence and completely one-dimensional characters. It was really a shame, because the concept is fucking fantastic. I actually liked the movie a little bit more, but I'm also a fan of Jennifer Lawrence because of her impressive performance in Winter's Bone.
    If you haven't seen it, go watch Battle Royale. Same basic concept, but it isn't watered down. Lots of people call Hunger Games a blatant rip-off of Battle Royale, even though the author claims to have never heard of it.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Im not really into the overhyped teenage movies like Harry Potter and Twilight, they always end up being mediocre in when I see or read them, so im not to interested in Hunger Games.

Speaking of books with the word Game in it, why is there a Hungers Game movie but not an Ender's Game movie?

Ender's Game is absolutely phenomenal book and blows Hunger Games out of the water.
    Am I the only one offended by the comparison of HP to Twilight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Im not really into the overhyped teenage movies like Harry Potter and Twilight, they always end up being mediocre in when I see or read them, so im not to interested in Hunger Games.

Speaking of books with the word Game in it, why is there a Hungers Game movie but not an Ender's Game movie?

Ender's Game is absolutely phenomenal book and blows Hunger Games out of the water.

it is called Google. simple to use , concept hard to grasp I guess. I had never heard of the series till your post and found this in 3 seconds.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post

Nope, I think it is a pretty stupid comparison as well. Harry potter is actually good. Twilight has arguably shat all over an iconic element of horror by trying to turn it into something romantic.

And the Hunger Games book series is not 'for teens'. The movie is definitely less gory, but it still presents the story pretty well and it is pretty accurate to the book.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    Nope, I think it is a pretty stupid comparison as well. Harry potter is actually good. Twilight has arguably shat all over an iconic element of horror by trying to turn it into something romantic.

And the Hunger Games book series is not 'for teens'. The movie is definitely less gory, but it still presents the story pretty well and it is pretty accurate to the book.
    I definitely wouldn't call it 'for teens' either, particularly in the later books as it gets more into the rebellion. Most of the comments people are making thinking that it's on the same level as Twilight appear to be people who only watched the trailer and jumped to conclusions as soon as they saw younger actors and the potential romance aspect. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I definitely wouldn't call it 'for teens' either, particularly in the later books as it gets more into the rebellion. Most of the comments people are making thinking that it's on the same level as Twilight appear to be people who only watched the trailer and jumped to conclusions as soon as they saw younger actors and the potential romance aspect. :P
    It mostly stems from the fact that they cut out a lot of the blood to knock it down to a younger rating.

Haven't read the book, and I don't really care to. The movie was worth watching, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot when it got hyped as being much better than Twilight and Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    It mostly stems from the fact that they cut out a lot of the blood to knock it down to a younger rating.
    Which is kind of a shame. It didn't feel as authentic due to that, unlike the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Haven't read the book, and I don't really care to. The movie was worth watching, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot when it got hyped as being much better than Twilight and Harry Potter.
    Well... it's not hard to make a movie better than Twilight. :P
    I'd recommend the book though, it's much better than the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed the movie. I have not read the books yet, but I will be once I finish A Dance with Dragons. (A Song of Ice and Fire)
    Goochy

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    If you haven't seen it, go watch Battle Royale. Same basic concept, but it isn't watered down. Lots of people call Hunger Games a blatant rip-off of Battle Royale, even though the author claims to have never heard of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't heard of it. It's a lot like Coheed and Cambria saying they hadn't heard of Rush before they started making music. It's hard to believe but possible.

The comparisons are obnoxious, but people want that same style of conflict and movie making. Even though The Hunger Games is so much of a step above Twilight, it's not even worth mentioning. They are in no way the same, I don't know why people try to pool them together.

I read the book when it first came out and.. I LOVED THE MOVIE. I cannot understand the bad reviews at all.. listen it's never going to be as good as the book and it's not rated-r.. so it won't be gory or anything but they did the book JUSTICE. I thought the cast was tremendous overall.

I thought the movie was awesome. Haymitch was spot-on in my mind as were Peeta and Gale. And for those wondering, they didn't edit out all the blood. The opening fight scene at the Cornucopia -- there's plenty of blood splattering across the crates, bloody knives pulled out of victims, etc. And for those wondering, Ender's Game is in filming: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

Haven't seen the movie yet, read the first book a while ago and i'm planning to read the second book in the near future.
    I've only seen some photos and the trailer for the movie but from what i see it seems nice. I'm going to watch the movie this friday, and i'll see what i think!
    P.S if you haven't read the books, do it.

Deleted
    some things that made me say ..seriously...? --- *SPOILERS

When that little black girl dies, you feel nothing, you've seen her for about 5 min of screen time with 1 line of dialog between the main character and her, yet the main character starts having an emotional breakdown over her death, making a sort of grave with flowers and then another 5 min of crying, seems abit much for someone she hardly knew, but i guess in the books they talked more? no idea aint read em.

I saw this yesterday and it really made me sad. First off the entire story with the exception of the wasp scene is either pulled from Battle Royale or The Running Man. It is pretty though and has eye candy. However, it is the type of movie that is meant for intellectuals, to the common masses I think its socially destructive as its just teenagers slaughtering each other for sport and ratings. In my theater at least the scenes were met with nothing but cheers and laughter, the sense of fear that you are supposed to get through the characters (in Battle Royale and The Running Man) of forced senseless slaughter is totally lost on the masses. Story lines like this are supposed to be about social commentary and critical thinking. Finally there were just too many things that made the story disjointed like the whole concept of giving the Sectors hope and the idea that its a post-apocolyptic world with reduced land mass and yet somehow its between 3000 and 4500 miles between the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains added to the previous issues makes this movie just a total mess on all fronts.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished reading all 3 books. I enjoyed them more than I thought I would. I'm going to see the movie tonight and am looking forward to it.

I loved the Harry Potter series, have all the books and the movies. I read the Twilight series because my neighbor loves it so much but I don't really care for Twilight. Mainly cause I can't stand Kristen Stewart. She can't act her way out of paper bag, she's so horrible.

After seeing Battle Royale a few years back, I was expecting something similar, especially considering how the death scenes were described in the books...

I was rather disappointed.

The second book is actually my favorite, have fun reading. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems i am outa the loop.. what the hell is the hunger games?
    Aye mate