Bane of Agony in MoP

I read this from a warlock on the beta forums:

Bane of Agony has stacks now, and at 10 stacks it does the most damage, so it looks like the idea is to keep it from falling off, so to intentionally clip it.

I think Blizz is getting a little carried away with *cool* ideas and what's practical with Bane of Agony.

Let's keep in mind that Bane of Agony is also limited to 1 target now. This makes warlocks extremely locked into 1 target a time. If an aff lock needs to switch their BoA to a new primary target, this is extremely punishing.

Dots have inherant ramp up, I don't know why the ramp up needs to be this extreme for BOA. How is my theoretical damage I'm balanced around ever supposed to reach that point in pvp when mages, shamans and druids all have dispel curse? Mages even get a glyph that increases their damage by 10% for dispelling it. Let's not forget Iceblock, Clos, pally bubble, etc

If haunt is still in MoP (as I understand a 40% single target damage buff for the warlock that costs a soulshard?), plus affliction warlocks can only channel malefic grasp on 1 target a time, why is Bane of Agony limit 1 target? It's easy to point at affliction's multi target damage and single it out as overpowered, but affliction warlocks have a lot of downsides that the advantage of multi target damage is supposed to be an upside for. This spec has a lot of ramp up, is going to be hell dealing with 8 second cooldown dispels that dispel every debuff on a target and has zero burst. If affliction doesn't have multi target damage, then why should there so be so many downsides?

If anyone's in beta I'd also like to know what happens when you use soulswap on a target with bane of agony. If it just removes bane of agony because it's limit 1 target, then soulswap is pretty useless. I can just manually cast UA+corruption on a new target just as easily.
    Last edited by Ofmanv; 2012-03-22 at 09:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have beta, I would imagine however Soul Swap will still work as it does on live.

On live it will Soul Swap your Bane of Doom off your primary target and place it on the target you Soul Swap to, I would imagine it'll work the same in MoP with BoA.

Would be a nice flavor of life change would be to not remove the "can only be on one target at a time" debuffs from bosses with Soul Swap.

Deleted
    They at least had to limit more spells to 1 target.

Why? - Balancing issues.

Very DOT-heavy classes will always shine at multi-target-fights (e.g. Theralion) so there are only 4 ways:

a) Keep the multidotting that good: Make WL ok/shine @ multitarget fights and suck/underpreform @ signletarget fights.
    b) Keep the multidotting that good: Make WL kickass @ multitarget fights and ok/shine @ singletarget fights.
    c) Lower the value of multidotting and be able to balance WL for signletarget and multitarget.
    d) Make no multitarget fights.

Since we don't want a) quite sure, blizz doesn't like b) and nobody really wants d) bcs we all liek very different encounters, c) is the only viable option.

Currently soul swap (if glyphed) leaves all dots on the target and on the exhaled target. So right now you can have BoA on two targets, not sure if this is bugged or intended. Also when soul swapping it will transfer the current stack of BoA to the new target, so if it was 10, it will be 10 on the new target.

Quote Originally Posted by Anemonae View Post
    Currently soul swap (if glyphed) leaves all dots on the target and on the exhaled target. So right now you can have BoA on two targets, not sure if this is bugged or intended. Also when soul swapping it will transfer the current stack of BoA to the new target, so if it was 10, it will be 10 on the new target.
    o.O

I can't imagine that will be left in, but I hope to heck it is. More complexity with real rewards... that's what I've been looking for (along with direction, but they surprised us with that one... Meta-tanking!).