Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal Norg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    81

    Three roles available for every class?

    So I'm aware that there is no holy trinity in thie MMO but there are 3 roles in which you can play as: offence(?), control, and support. I was just wondering if anyone know if every class can adopt each playstyle. I was thinking a necro support or control based theif would be pretty fun.
    Last edited by Norg; 2012-03-23 at 12:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Every class will be able to fill all three roles of damage/suport/control. It is a big plus for this game <3

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,740
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

  4. #4
    Every prof has some form of all 3 roles, but certain classes will be better at different roles than others.

    For example engineer and guardian will be the best support profs. They just have more abilities tied to support than the other profs. I don't know a lot about the necro though, it's one of the only classes I haven't really looked at yet.

    You won't be tied down to just 1 role though. You'll still have to do all 3 roles in order to utilize your prof to its fullest.

    This post talks a bit about it http://teamlegacy.net/topic/5115-how...r-trait-lines/
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-22 at 10:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Field Marshal Norg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Every prof has some form of all 3 roles, but certain classes will be better at different roles than others.

    For example engineer and guardian will be the best support profs. They just have more abilities tied to support than the other profs. I don't know a lot about the necro though, it's one of the only classes I haven't really looked at yet.

    You won't be tied down to just 1 role though. You'll still have to do all 3 roles in order to utilize your prof to its fullest.
    Just from reading through some dev blogs I thought it might work where the necro would build a lot of life force up and heal through sharing his health n what not, fears are coo as well.

  6. #6
    Not really possible to pigeon-hole anything in GW2.
    You say it yourself that they're removing the trinity. They're also removing specific roles and not just replacing the trinity with offense, support, control.
    Everything will be situational, and everyone will need to do something of everything.

    Now, it is possible to build a profession (not class ) that leans more into one of these "roles" but that doesn't mean they are that "role." You'll still have to do a bit of everything. More than a bit.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Now, it is possible to build a profession that leans more into one of these "roles" but that doesn't mean they are that "role." You'll still have to do a bit of everything. More than a bit.
    Here's a visual of that


  8. #8
    Water elementalist will be a good suport as well, have a few aoe heals
    I am back ponys... still hate you all.

    Scrapbot: You got 5 infraction points. Reason: You can not express you hate persons.
    Me: WTF!?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rytlock BigPaw View Post
    Water elementalist will be a good suport as well, have a few aoe heals
    Damn, I forgot about elementalist. They have so many abilities available they're probably the most versatile all around.

  10. #10
    Brewmaster Well's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,266
    The only thing I am really hoping for is not for min/maxers getting a way of telling every proffesion how to spec with the


    "Thou shall play THAT cause it is more effective"

    I really do not want to go to that end in GW2.

    You hear me min/maxers? STAY AWAY from this game.
    Pokemon X FC: 1435-4739-8696 Trainer Name: Evershade

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    The only thing I am really hoping for is not for min/maxers getting a way of telling every proffesion how to spec with the


    "Thou shall play THAT cause it is more effective"

    I really do not want to go to that end in GW2.

    You hear me min/maxers? STAY AWAY from this game.
    It wouldn't matter if they did because they would be wrong since there is no min/maxing in this game.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rytlock BigPaw View Post
    Water elementalist will be a good suport as well, have a few aoe heals
    Yh that's true. But it's no different from another prof switching to a weapon that provides more support.

    Can't wait for my ele btw Gonna be switching like a madman(asura).

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It wouldn't matter if they did because they would be wrong since there is no min/maxing in this game.
    Unless the game mechanics are really trivial, there will always be min/maxers.

    Doesn't really matter either way, either. The people who would min/max will still roflwtfpwn anyone who "plays like they feel like playing" even if the actual min/maxing potential is low.

  14. #14
    Field Marshal Norg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yh that's true. But it's no different from another prof switching to a weapon that provides more support.

    Can't wait for my ele btw Gonna be switching like a madman(asura).
    Well, at the end of the day each person in the group will have a weapon set that they just love to play with. Obvioulsy being able to do well with other weapons is key but if i enjoy playing a dual dagger necro with lots of life force and health regen I wont wanna be paried with a guy who loves to play a water elementalist.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Unless the game mechanics are really trivial, there will always be min/maxers.

    Doesn't really matter either way, either. The people who would min/max will still roflwtfpwn anyone who "plays like they feel like playing" even if the actual min/maxing potential is low.
    There will always be people who try and min/max but it's not likely it will succeed in this game.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  16. #16
    Field Marshal Norg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    There will always be people who try and min/max but it's not likely it will succeed in this game.
    If they believe their build is the best for what they do and they have an amazing pvp record then it won't really be up for debate. It'll just come down to "ok, but this build is the BEST for the way I play my class". Cookie-cutter specs =/= min/maxing, imo.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Norg View Post
    Well, at the end of the day each person in the group will have a weapon set that they just love to play with. Obvioulsy being able to do well with other weapons is key but if i enjoy playing a dual dagger necro with lots of life force and health regen I wont wanna be paried with a guy who loves to play a water elementalist.
    You shouldn't think that way. Even with your self heals, outside heals will always be welcome, especially the AoEs as they'll help your minions as well. Looking at the water ele, she can also cleanse conditions, chill foes, and cause vulnerability, while also dealing damage, then, at the blink of an eye, swap to one of three other attunements. Looking at her utility skills, she can summon elementals as well as a variety of weapons that anyone can pick up and use, like a frost bow or fire sword. Now couple all of this with cross-profession abilities, and you'll see that no matter what you play, you'll want to welcome any other character you run into, no matter their profession or build, assuming they are a good player. Now, if you run into someone that says, "I'm the Tank!" Run. Run as fast as you can, like the fate of the entire universe is at stake, and don't look back.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    There will always be people who try and min/max but it's not likely it will succeed in this game.
    I disagree, I think someone who wants to min/max can succeed in this game, just not if they are trying to force that min/maxing into the holy trinity build. And regardless of if someone who min/maxes can succeed, the important thing is someone who doesn't min/max can equally succeed.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Norg View Post
    If they believe their build is the best for what they do and they have an amazing pvp record then it won't really be up for debate. It'll just come down to "ok, but this build is the BEST for the way I play my class". Cookie-cutter specs =/= min/maxing, imo.
    You can mix/max your build, but that doesn't mean your build is the most effective. There is tons of combinations suit to players styles and each can suit a different situation or all situations if they so choose. Everything is viable, it isn't like WoW where you pick which of your 3 dps specs do the most damage.

    In regards to the original statement, no. Spouting mix/max crap over your build won't work in this game.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  20. #20
    Field Marshal Norg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    You shouldn't think that way. Even with your self heals, outside heals will always be welcome, especially the AoEs as they'll help your minions as well. Looking at the water ele, she can also cleanse conditions, chill foes, and cause vulnerability, while also dealing damage, then, at the blink of an eye, swap to one of three other attunements. Looking at her utility skills, she can summon elementals as well as a variety of weapons that anyone can pick up and use, like a frost bow or fire sword. Now couple all of this with cross-profession abilities, and you'll see that no matter what you play, you'll want to welcome any other character you run into, no matter their profession or build, assuming they are a good player. Now, if you run into someone that says, "I'm the Tank!" Run. Run as fast as you can, like the fate of the entire universe is at stake, and don't look back.
    My point wasn't based on the mechanics that allow players to switch between playstyles. I just believe that no matter how many objective mechanics you put into a game each player will have a selective playstyle that they will go to most of the time.

    I'm not sure how many people who are reading this thread are familiar with the MOBA scene but the pros at the highest level in MOBA games pretty much have to play well as any role/lane but you will always see them go back to their fav role/lane when they play ranked team matches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •