Pick up Gathering Prof for MoP?

Title says it all. I am currently a 525 LW/Eng on my hunter (main) and I will be playing him to the point at which I will be going for realm first. Should I pick up skinning or mining to help cap one of them out and use them to try and make money to re-level the other one up?

My biggest worry is the rare patterns. I have jeeves, pets, ect as eng and most of the cata patterns.

What?

You want to drop LW or Eng, for gathering?

Yeah, I figure it would be a pain to level them otherwise. I'll be spending most of my time gearing my hunter before I will be playing alts.

Seems like a monumental waste of resources, but if it's what you really want. Just consider this, will it be worth it in the very likely chance you do not succeed?

Then do it. I guess I don't understand your question.

Alts are for gathering. Just level an alt with mining skinning after you level your main and use the collected mats to level your mains professions.

If you are going for realm first, and are willing to lose the rare patterns/have to re-level your professions because a shot at realm first means that much to you, then taking mining and/or herbalism will, I believe, give you a small edge by increasing your exp intake if you are going to primarily be out in the world questing.

If you are going for realm first 90 then you shouldn't worry about professions period until you are 90. If you are killing and skinning or picking up herbs and ore then you most likely going to gratsing someone else for getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veight View Post
    Yeah, I figure it would be a pain to level them otherwise. I'll be spending most of my time gearing my hunter before I will be playing alts.
    Gathering profession is easy to level, but whats the point of having it?
    Letherworking will give you free leg enchant, it will save you 3-5k+ gold itself.
    Engineering will give you free epic head when all others will run in blues. Priceless.

"Spending most of my time gearing" is kinda better than "spending most of my time gathering".

Letherworking can get you more money than any gathering profession at start of content.

So don't drop any profession on your main. Use alt character with gathering profession instead.

But if you still want a gathering profession - take enchanting. You will get 50-100k gold from mats for free while questing.

drop enginering, its good for...teleporting? yeah, blizz's lack of attention to eng in cata to the point where the was no teleporter makes me think they dont care about it anymore
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Letherworking will give you free leg enchant, it will save you 3-5k+ gold itself.
    Engineering will give you free epic head when all others will run in blues. Priceless.

"Spending most of my time gearing" is kinda better than "spending most of my time gathering".
    Thanks. 10char