Anywhere I can get this?

So I've gotten a bit nostalgic recently and have been wanting to play a bunch of old video games that I loved. In particular, I wanted to play the Megaman X games. I know there's a computer version of it, and I know I could just download an emulator and get it illegitimately, but I kinda wanted to buy them instead. I can't find out where the hell I'd buy a computer version of the games. Capcom's website didn't seem to have anything.

There's an MS-DOS version. Only thing I'm aware of that you could play on a PC besides emulating it. It's, as far as I know, unsold by Capcom, or, if it is, probably not worth the hassle, honestly. There's DOSBox, I suppose.

However, I'd suggest the PSP version, if you have one. It's got some significant improvements and neat stuff for fans of the series. Alternatively, if you want the older version, there's the Wii Virtual Console, Playstation Network or the Megaman X Collection for PS2 and GCN. The latter is cool because it also includes X 1-6. Even if the PSX ones aren't as great as the 3 SNES ones, the 3 SNES ones alone make it worth whatever cost you could find it at. They're really all fantastic platformers.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-03-23 at 06:33 AM.

Yeah, I don't want to have to deal with any consoles, which is why I was trying to find something for PC.

DOSbox it is then. There isn't any legitimate way I'm aware of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things are just not obtainable legitimately without a console. Too bad you don't have a Gamecube or PS2 stashed away somewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_X_Collection

I think I never sold any of my computers/consoles. Too much of a collector

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Some things are just not obtainable legitimately without a console. Too bad you don't have a Gamecube or PS2 stashed away somewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_X_Collection

I think I never sold any of my computers/consoles. Too much of a collector
    Yeah, I still have a PS, a Gamecube, and a SNES, I just don't want to have to hook them up and buy a physical copy of the game from somewhere, if I could even find it. The Gamecube version of the anniversary thing is also really expensive.

What would be cool would be if you could buy them on Steam or something of the sort. I ended up trying DOS-Box with the demo version and it also occurred to me that I'm going to need to buy a PC-compatible game controller in order to get the right experience playing them, as playing a platformer like Megaman is just wrong with a keyboard to me. Gotta use my thumbs and stuff, you know?

Your best bet would be emulating and buying a wired 360 pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of getting a wired 360 controller anyway to do this with other stuff. Would be fun to play some of my other games with a controller.

Even if you don't want to emulate, I also recommend a 360 wired controller. I used to think my PS2 controller+USB adapter was the bee's knees, but the 360 controller has grown on me and I now prefer it. Also, there's a ton of support for it, many games will recognize that it's plugged in, work automatically and change all the in-game icons to 360 ones. And for games that don't support the joystick, there's always a bunch of applications out there that'll map them to keyboard presses, like JoyToKey.
    And for whatever it's worth, emulating Mega Man X will become legal in Jan 2014, which is close enough that I doubt anybody cares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    This is what I do for my vintage (N64 and older) games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Buy the PS2 version of the Megaman X Collection, it's only like $14 brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Buy the PS2 version of the Megaman X Collection, it's only like $14 brand new.
    I don't have a PS2.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were trying to find a Steam version anyway then you may as well just play it on an emulator.(or at least I would never spend money on a download)

If you get the DOS version of X to work you can just get a program like JoyToKey to map the controls to a modern controller. There were a couple other X games that got PC ports but were not world wide releases.

Other then that you could just try and get the Sega Saturn and PS1 releases disks and play them on PC with the respective systems emulators but that would be far more expensive/hard to track down then the X Collection.