Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

why aren't there more maps?

simple question...theres a lot of champions to play with but shouldn't there be more variety in the gameplay/maps?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

The genre is tied to the map layout & gameplay of RTS games, esp. Warcraft 3. The balance and design of the champions is dependent on the particularities of the resources, layout and locations of the classic SR map.

In short, it's very difficult to balance around multiple maps when a single map is the keystone of the genre.

Deleted
    Well they could have the same maps but different themes. Like snow, urban city style, water theme and so on.

They have that for Winter and Halloween. Could be expanded, sure.

Dominion is my favorite mode in LOL. Though the map so clearly is not suited for the design of many champions equally. Riot had to cheat slightly to make it work and it's kinda gimmick-y.

Being tied and essentially branched off from a mod of an RTS is the basic problem. That early development was not particularly sophisticated also attached a lot of baggage to the genre as represented in LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always loved the idea of a capture-the-flag mode based off a moba design, think it would work well with a longer/wider (depending on how you look at it) Twisted Treeline style map. Would have to be mainly for fun like Dominion though.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I am surprised you can create a game on the 1v1 map in the tutorial

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    Well they could have the same maps but different themes. Like snow, urban city style, water theme and so on.
    That yea, but it's a lot of work for essentially very little benefit.

If you're talking about a real new map, Morello posted some thoughts about why the whole Magma Chamber thing never happened.

1) It has to be 5v5, or balancing becomes a lot harder (see: TT and the attention paid to it)
    2) If 5v5, it directly eats into the players for Summoner's Rift.
    3) So they have to make a new map without cannibalising on either Dominion or SR.
    4) If they're not careful, one of the maps will just turn into the 'noob' map while the other will be the 'real' map.

May still happen though, but there's definitely some concerns about how to make it work without affecting other parts of the game.

They should just add the other map skins to a random rotation.
    Eventho the map is exactly the same it will feel less boring not seeing the same skin every time.

Deleted
    they have Magma Chamber up their sleeve, it has been in production for ages (that is, ages since it was announced, with screenies and that). then Dominion cut in, MC got delayed and well...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    they have Magma Chamber up their sleeve, it has been in production for ages (that is, ages since it was announced, with screenies and that). then Dominion cut in, MC got delayed and well...
    MC wasnt delayed. It was cancelled.

Rather than more maps, i would prefer Riot introduced more game modes for SR, like ARAM, bravery mode (only snowball items), WTF mode (no cooldown on spells), no minions mode, roaming dragon/baron mode etc., just for the fun of it. It cant be too hard script-wise, and it'd make the game so much more fun.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Deleted
    why does it even need another map or game mode? the whole point of league is what they currently have. adding another map won't add anything to league apart from another 'joke' or gimmick that 90% of people who play the game will ignore. i.e dominion.

you could argue that they need more designs on the original SR, like they have for winter or halloween, but then it screws with people who play the game competitively as it can mess up vision, or familiarity, etc.

what i do believe they need to create is a sandbox custom game mode where you can essentially create your own rules. i.e custom starting gold, locking parts of the map of with barriers, adjusting monster spawn rates, all of which people can experiment and have fun with. apart from that i really don't think there will be any benefit to adding a new map!

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    wait what?? when did they say that Magma Chamber was canceled ?
    from what I remember they showed us sneak peak art before the end of season 1 by a couple of months then surprised us with Dominion

more maps merely increase queue times as it further fractures the playerbase.