Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Glyphs + DMC!

Deleted
    alchemy herbalism combo was fine for me at cata launch after i maxed them got about 200k-300k in first 2 months on flasks elixirs and potions

10+ Year Old Account
    At launch itself, I'd bet on inscription. There's going to be a ton of glyph changes retroactive through 1-525 you can use instantly. New gems, I'm betting, will require new higher-level sockets. Same with enchants. Those will take a while to sink in, but will remain a steady source of income. Glyphs will pay out substantially right away, but the demand will drop sharply after launch.

Engineering will be last. Like you didn't guess that already.

Prospecting ore when I was trying to level JC at the start of Cataclysm ended up working out well for me.

Bought the ore to get rare gems for meta gem mutates, and sold off the uncommons for people still leveling up. I think I made money leveling jewelcrafting to max :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I think any professions can make you a tidy sum if you know what you are doing and where the demand will be. If you are serious about making money with a prof get it maxed a.s.a.p. and think about where the money is, what you can do or make that people will want. You don't even have to have a huge fortune to make this happen, especially not if you are able to and willing to farm a bit.

I started Cata with about 15k to my name. I made sure I had my profession leveled to max by the first week-end, in this case Tailoring, grinding Cloth for a fair few hours. Tailors have in Cata been making things with Dreamcloth, which basically has a weeklong cooldown. There are 5 normal versions and I made those as soon as I had the level to make them. Tailoring had a few highlevel recipes that we could buy and make, namely 359 pants and belts. The belt recipe cost 1 dreamcloth and then 4 to make the belt itsself, the pants cost 1 dreamcloth, and then 8 to make the pants themsselves. 99% of the people on my server went and made the belt that first week. The first few probably made some gold on the deal, but it wasn't long before there were a bunch of them on the AH and people started undercutting each other. That's bad business. I could have been in on the first few belts, but I bided my time and waited for my cooldowns to be up so I could make the pants instead. The day before my own last cooldown was up I saw a pair of those pants on the AH for 20k and it was gone in no time. So when I made my own pair the next day I put them up for 25k. Sold them within a few hours and had effectively doubled the gold I had in one fel swoop.

Moral of this tale: if you see the options and keep in mind that most people will go for the fast, easy money you can usually be smart enough to take advantage somewhere.

Loose anecdote following this story: I used the gold I made with those pants to drop skinning and pick up enchanting. Spent a bundle leveling it, invested even more into getting highend Cata recipes from both trainer and AH......and then proceeded to make my gold back 10 times over. If you spend your gold wisely you can have even more benfit from it then just squandering it on overpriced unneeded stuff of the AH.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    And how did/do you go about that? Do you farm your own herbs or spend more time buying them and remaking it off glyphs/cards? I know when I level inscription on my shaman after DS came out I still made a good bit on glyphs but quote a large amount on DMC cards even after they dropped down to only selling for 3k. I was thinking of doing herbalism/inscription on my warrior to start the expansion but curious if it's more profitable to just buy. Because of how overpriced all those new glyphs will be and DMC cards being up above 20k. Also if I go that route his other profession will probably be JC to start racking up tokens ASAP. Maybe alch. What's everyone's thoughts on that?
    I made pretty much all of my profits buying herbs and making fortune cards and DMC decks, towards the start of the expansion I was making huge profit margins on the fortune cards anyways, but after the markets calmed down I just made sure I never paid more than for a stack of herbs than I'd make off the fortune cards from it making the burning embers my profit at a minimum.

It did mean numerous sessions of buying 500 stacks and milling them all, but macros and things helped out greatly.

Deleted
    Ill be doing ins.. i never farmed a herb myself and yet i still made well over 500k and i am by no means a goldhunter or whatever -

I be doing Ins with either enchanting and mining on the side, og using the gold from that to get my ins running

I always herb/mine my brains out for the first week or so and make a killing, then I go back to my min/max professions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    I always herb/mine my brains out for the first week or so and make a killing, then I go back to my min/max professions.
    You'd actually go through the trouble and gold worth of dropping a crafting, leveling a gathering then dropping gathering and picking up crafting again?!

I'd never do that, waaay to much trouble. Besides I've usually got a bunch of recipes learned on my crafters, and I don't want to loose those either. I like being complete in things >.<

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    You'd actually go through the trouble and gold worth of dropping a crafting, leveling a gathering then dropping gathering and picking up crafting again?!

I'd never do that, waaay to much trouble. Besides I've usually got a bunch of recipes learned on my crafters, and I don't want to loose those either. I like being complete in things >.<
    I think he's using an alt for the farming part and min/max proffesions on his main.

Afaik you can't fly in Pandaria before reaching level 90, so for this expansion it might not be worth the trouble to farm herbs/ore with a lvl 85.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael123 View Post
    I think he's using an alt for the farming part and min/max proffesions on his main.

Afaik you can't fly in Pandaria before reaching level 90, so for this expansion it might not be worth the trouble to farm herbs/ore with a lvl 85.
    Nope, some dedicated people who get to 90 early will be raking in the money if they farm enough. They should have little competition for the first few days.

enchanting and skinning, means i'll be lvling 2 alts at the same time as i craft for my main

10+ Year Old Account
    People will be getting new gear, so Enchanting and Jewelcrafting may be hot.

I'll be using every profession, of course. First to level will be a druid with herbalism/mining. That should rake in retarded amounts of gold in the first two weeks or so. I'll of course level my main after a few days as well, but I will abuse the people going for realm firsts and pump them for gold. I'll then max whatever profession seems to be making the most, probably JC alchemy, BS and inscription. Enchanter and Tailor on my main so those will be levelled up as well. Still not sure if I'll bother with LW and engineering.

herb/mining tbh.

The first week of cataclysm i earned like 30k just by mining for some hours. It was crazy!

Ive never profited like I did in Cata and I did it with gathering. I raped all the inscriptionists selling herbs for big money and leveled my own professions after the first week or so. I plan to do the same and farm the shit out of blacksmithing mats. Farming sucks but theres lots of $$$ in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think something that several people are missing.. is this time around JC's get to craft a mount. the only real question will be.. is it sellable? if it is.. then yah.. JC's will make more cash then they already do. provided the mats are not so ridiculous that nobody can afford it.. like the Vial of Sands.. well ok.. it wasnt THAT bad gathering mats and gold for it.. but it was much more expensive then a chopper.. however an Onyx panther will probably sell more on the Horde side.. then the alliance. i know several girls (myself included) that would LOVE a kitty mount on the horde side.

Deleted
    I did get alot of gold with two gathering professions (mining and skinning) at Cata launch, but I'm sure that you will get even more gold with enchanting.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    awesome idea to talk about that in a forum with thousands of players xD don't you think everyone will do the same? keep your methods haha, if you want to make cash.

Yeah the night cata launched (and the subsequent 3-5 days) I made a killing DE'ing everything I didn't need or what the friends in my group didn't need while we were farming dungeons. My flaw with that is the 30-50k I made I spent it trying to level 2 other professions, and never maxed a single one out of all 3. And ended up broke until the ore shuffle started to bring in a lot of cash....trying to avoid that this time.

I think with my profession-less warrior here that I'll be leveling first I'm going to go enchanting to make a killing, and inscription as the other to make new glyphs + DMC decks

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    awesome idea to talk about that in a forum with thousands of players xD don't you think everyone will do the same? keep your methods haha, if you want to make cash.
    demand for all of these things will be so high it won't really matter how much people are doing it, it's just a matter of how well and soon you do it.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.