Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    'course! I may not be a genius when it comes to geography but my globe tells me it's only like 30 centimetres away.
    Really though, I've only been to the movies 3 times in the last 8 years. I'm saving myself for the Hobbit movies.
    You better make it worth it!
    Anything lotr is always worth it. ;]

The only one I would contemplate going to is the old ass drive-in about 30 miles away cause you can see 2 movies for $15/car, can party outside your car and is a blast, other than that pirate!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Because cinemas contribute to a nice evening out with friends. And since when are crowds a bad thing?
    Some people here seem really anti-social.
    You can still be social and spend time at home. They are not mutually exclusive you know.

---------- Post added 2012-03-25 at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    sound, action movies rly come alive at cinemas. the sound ofc is the best but also such enormous screen aswell.
    A good quality TV and surround set will get you the same experience. Except you have all the luxuries of being home.

My husband and I go maybe twice a year. Usually when big blockbusters come out. Yes, I like the Twilight movies. I also did it with each Harry Potter movie, and Lord of the Rings. I'll be doing it with the Hunger games, Wheel of Time, and the Hobbit. That's like... two movies a year at the most. For a while, it was about one movie a year.

And today, we're seeing the Hunger Games. So... there's my 1/2 movies for this year. Next one is the last Twilight movie.

Cinema is a different experience than watching at home, even with a good home theater setup. Aside from the HUGE screen and the sound system, you are also in an environment dedicated to watching the movie. When you watch something at home you might get interrupted or distracted a half dozen times or more that takes your attention away or else breaks the flow or immersion in the movie, which lessens the experience.

Oh well... i used to go there like once or twice a month. Usually just for the lulz with a few friends. The overall feel is simply better than when you watch a movie at home

The only thing I have gone to a cinema for in the last few years is Avatar 3D. Simply cannot be appreciated in all its glory outside a huge screen.

I havent gone in a while, i used to go a lot when i had friends (before moving to another country). Last time i went to one was for the same reason as the poster above, Avatar 3D, it's just one of those films worth watching on a big screen and on 3D.

Only time I'll go anymore is if the fiancee really wants to see something, which isn't often at all, in which case we hit the Lux Level:

http://www.nationalamusements.com/dine/luxlevels.asp
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

It's a social experience, plain and simple.

Plus we have an art-house cinema that shows movies that aren't easy to pirate.

Watching an awesome film at home just isn't the same thing as watching an awesome film at the cinema.

Cinema is a whole other level. Besides, is a nice reason for going out with friends

date nights with the wife. otherwise just wait for them on dvd or tv

Deleted
    The social aspect of it tbh, I'd never go alone, and it's quite nice to go to the cinemas with a couple of friends and just enjoy a good movie, and hang out afterwards =P And dat popcorn... ._.

Saw the last Harry Potter at the theater.

The reasoning is simple, it's a huge screen.
    It's also instantly out then.

It's an archaic system though.

Cinemas originally began as the CHEAP alternative to seeing a video, because at the time TV's and VCR's were freaking outrageously expensive.

While gas, and ticket prices were not.

Now the tables have turned. So the innovation needs to happen.

Hollywood would rather cling to intellectual property rights manipulation than come up with something new, though.

So it will be a battle, most definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go for the memories I had as a kid; going there with my Mom and Brother, getting a popcorn, waiting for the room to go dark and the sound system fully kick in.

It's a feeling I cannot describe, and it's a feeling I love to have; and I will make sure my future child/children will experience the magic of going to the Cinemas
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

Deleted
    i dont know where u go but even if its not imax its pretty gd quality in here, but still i only go to a cinema as a social thing and if i feel like supporting the movie im watching :P

Friends, and it's fun. Watching it on tv/comp (even with a huge monitor) is just not the same. Plus pop corn.

I go often actually, well, now slightly less but during highschool I used to go like, at least once a week.

It depends entirely on the movie. I don't go to a cinema theater for the experience itself, I go there strictly for the movie. I have never been like, "Damn, I wonder what's showing in theaters right now. If there's anything decent I'll go because I just love going to the movies!". It's more like, "I have been following this movie's development for a year and a half, I'm watching it the second I can and not a moment later".

The theater itself doesn't factor into the equation at all for me. Though I will point out that my local theaters show things in 3D and HD.

Deleted
    I mainly go there because I like to be with my friends. Yeah, sounds a bit silly, I mean, we ARE just sitting in a dark room together. But still.

And I usually do talk with my friends during the film at least a little bit (just to annoy other people of course!), and it's nice to talk about the film afterwards and stuff. And it's not just about sitting in the theatre, it's also about the whole trip to the city, we usually also check out the clothing stores or go for a cup of coffee after the movie. Plus, we usually go see movies that we'd want to see anyway, so why not do it together.

But mostly it's about hanging out with friends. I mean, we even went to see Justin Bieber's Never Say Never 3D, and I swear, it was NOT because we wanted to see the movie. My god, it was horrifying. Totally not worth it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually really like going to the cinema, like I'll do it every weekend if I can (unless there isn't a movie I want to see, which is rare). I just find it as a nice way to hang out with some friends without having to worry about a pause or break in it or without any other distractions. I've never had any issue with the sound or video quality though, although when I saw the Hunger Games it looked a bit grainier than usual but that was the first time I noticed a lack of quality. Plus the theater I go to has really nice customer service and is pretty chill about watching two movies back to back. Only thing I don't like about going is the price since it'll set me back at least ten bucks a pop, but I just find it worth it in the end.