Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Buying items with real money

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post15967170

It's pretty funny how I've been saying all along that ArenaNet has a fetish with microtransactions and I was proved right when they let players buy an elite skill plus combat items for preording the premium edition, yet we still have fanboys like the buy in the link above having "faith" in ArenaNet to not let people buy power.

I told you this was going to happen, and it has. Vindicated. Again.

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrie...n-guild-wars-2

Players can now buy gems with real money, sell the gems for gold, and use gold to buy items off the auction house.

You would have to be delusional or stupid to have thought ArenaNet would not do this after all the microtransactions they had in GW1, their promise to not sell power through microtransactions in GW2, and the lie when they did it anyway through preording the premium edition.

And finally now, they're letting players buy power off each other. Because now they get all the money from it. ArenaNet was already a documented liar, but now they're also unscrupulously greedy and have utterly betrayed all fairness in the game.

They just can't help themselves.

This is not new, it didn't need another thread as it's being discussed elsewhere. Additionally, please don't try post flamebait. There are PLENTY of ways to have a discussion about this that aren't intentionally inflammatory. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-31 at 03:09 PM.

I really don't see the problem with this. You spend in-game time to acquire items, or you work in real life and spend the money you make on in-game items.

Either way it's time for in-game items...

There is another topic for this discussion, no reason to start a new one.
    Especially one with such an aggressive tone that is obviously meant to start a flamefest.

You still can't buy power with real money, that's now how it works.
    Nothing you can buy with gold or with gems will make you more powerful than another player.
    The closest is quicker leveling, and that is a non-issue due to levels in GW2 not mattering with sidekicking and whatnot.
    You get max gear extremely easily once you hit 80, and any upgrades are just so you can look better.

Great job starting a rage thread on something you know very little about, though.

Long story short, uninformed rager is uninformed.

10+ Year Old Account
    considering wow has a subscription model and force feeds mirco transaction mounts and minipets beypnd xp perks which is nothing major you dont have a leg to stand on
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post

It's pretty funny how I've been saying all along that ArenaNet has a fetish with microtransactions and I was proved right when they let players buy an elite skill plus combat items for preording the premium edition, yet we still have fanboys like the buy in the link above having "faith" in ArenaNet to not let people buy power.

I told you this was going to happen, and it has. Vindicated. Again.

Anger he smiles tow'ring shiny metallic purple armour.
    Queen jealousy, envy waits behind him.

Players can now buy gems with real money, sell the gems for gold, and use gold to buy items off the auction house.

You would have to be delusional or stupid to have thought ArenaNet would not do this after all the microtransactions they had in GW1, their promise to not sell power through microtransactions in GW2, and the lie when they did it anyway through preording the premium edition.

And finally now, they're letting players buy power off each other. Because now they get all the money from it. ArenaNet was already a documented liar, but now they're also unscrupulously greedy and have utterly betrayed all fairness in the game.

They just can't help themselves.
    Anger he smiles tow'ring shiny metallic purple armour.
    Queen jealousy, envy waits behind him.

I don't really care. :P I'm probably not going to buy anything. Other people can spend their money on whatever they want, but I'm going to focus on the game. It's all optional stuff. Even if you can buy any kind of boost, they are only temporary and not worth it anyway. I don't feel disadvantaged in any way by somebody who does plan to buy them, because that means that I'll have more money to spend on other things that I deem more important. If you feel wronged in some way, then don't play. It's just a game.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best part about it is people who took more than 20 seconds to skim over the micro transaction policy are actually okay with it, most are even very pleased.

You should do more research on a topic next time before you form such a strong opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    The best part about it is people who took more than 20 seconds to skim over the micro transaction policy are actually okay with it, most are even very pleased.

You should do more research on a topic next time before you form such a strong opinion about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx7o7CRoDXc

Notice the diagram at 12:40. Cash is at the top and flows to everything.

This is a game were you buy items for real money. And despite the defense of the fanboys saying it's not THAT bad, I told you so. I told you this would happen. As usual, I was right again.

Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-03-31 at 01:13 PM.

Your complaint was buying power off Anet for money, which you have no proof of that will actually happen since cash shop is not finalized.

Now its the economy? Linking a speculation video over a game that isn't even out yet?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

This is a game were you buy items for real money. And despite the defense of the fanboys saying it's not THAT bad, I told you so. I told you this would happen. As usual, I was right again.

What don't you understand about the fact that we already knew that there would be in game items for sale in a shop? This isn't news to me or anyone on this forum. We've known for a very long time that there would be a cash shop.
    I'm looking forward to it.

I checked your post history.
    All of your posts are about how evil Anet is with it's (completely optional, since you can't buy power, an 80 who spend 500$ on the game will be just as powerful as an 80 who spend 60 to buy the standard edition and nothing else) cash shop.
    We get it, you hate when people spend money. However, if the only reason you are here is to spread misinformation and claim anyone who links more accurate information is wrong, you don't really have much of a place here.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Your complaint was buying power off Anet for money, which you have no proof of that will actually happen since cash shop is not finalized.

Now its the economy? Linking a speculation video over a game that isn't even out yet?
    That second link is an official statement from the horse's mouth.

In effect, ArenaNet is letting players buy items for real money because they will get all the profits off of it. And I've been proven right again.

I was right that ArenaNet lied about microtransactions and letting players buy power with the preorder and premium edition.

And I was right that ArenaNet has let player buy power in this game.

To say that it's all OK because ArenaNet isn't yet selling items directly for real money is like saying to the Bureau of Meteorology, sure you got the tornado warning right, but I'm not going to take you seriously because the tornado arrive 2 hours later than you predicted.

That second link is a official statement from the horse's mouth.

In effect, ArenaNet is letting players buy items for real money because will get all the profits off of it. And I've been proven right again.

I was right that ArenaNet lied about letting players buy power with preorder and premium edition.

And I was right that ArenaNet lets player buy power in this game.

To say that it's all OK because ArenaNet isn't yet selling items directly for real money is like saying to Bureau of Meteorology, sure you got the tornado warning right, but I'm not going to take you seriously because the tornado arrive 2 hours alter than you predicted.
    Oh please, my friend, give an example of an item you can buy from the AH with gold that will make you more powerful than someone else.
    "Aww man, he bought that armor from the AH? It looks so cool. I mean, it has the exact same amount of power as all other level 80 gear so he does no more damage, but it looks AWESOME."
    Your argument is "You can buy gold, that means you can buy power!" is baseless and you have given no proof, as much as you seem to believe you have.

Also, the collectors edition giving an elite skill is not buying power.
    It is an elite skill you get for free at a level that you have already unlocked other elite skills.
    That's like saying "Remember in GW1 when the collectors edition made your hands glow? That cosmetic change made them OP!"
    It is likely going to be worse than more expensive (talking about skill points, before you freak out over nothing. Costing more SKILL. POINTS.) elite skills, and you can only equip one elite skill at a time.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-03-31 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I checked your post history.
    All of your posts are about how evil Anet is with it's (completely optional, since you can't buy power, an 80 who spend 500$ on the game will be just as powerful as an 80 who spend 60 to buy the standard edition and nothing else) cash shop.
    We get it, you hate when people spend money. However, if the only reason you are here is to spread misinformation and claim anyone who links more accurate information is wrong, you don't really have much of a place here.
    Well I'm glad you looked at my post history, because nearly everything I've said in that has been proven true over time.

If sourcing my information from the lead designer of the game is spreading misinformation, then the Earth is flat.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 01:28 PM ----------

Oh please, my friend, give an example of an item you can buy from the AH with gold that will make you more powerful than someone else.
    "Aww man, he bought that armor from the AH? It looks so cool. I mean, it has the exact same amount of power as all other level 80 gear so he does no more damage, but it looks AWESOME."
    Your argument is "You can buy gold, that means you can buy power!" is baseless and you have given no proof, as much as you seem to believe you have.
    If you have a worse item than someone, and you buy an item that is better than this person's, then you've bought power.

The only way that this is not buying power is if at every level of the game, and in every part of the game, everyone is in the same item, and cannot possibly upgrade nor downgrade their items.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-03-31 at 01:30 PM.

Well I'm glad you looked at my post history, because nearly everything I've said in that has been proven true over time.

If sourcing my information from the lead designer of the game is spreading misinformation, then the Earth is flat.
    Taking quotes out of context is a lot different than quoting fact.
    "Hey, did you hear Obama wants taxes are to go up substantially next year for everybody?"
    When he really said "Under the tax plans passed by the last administration, taxes are expected to go up substantially next year for everybody."

Yes, you're now Fox News.

That second link is an official statement from the horse's mouth.

In effect, ArenaNet is letting players buy items for real money because they will get all the profits off of it. And I've been proven right again.

I was right that ArenaNet lied about microtransactions and letting players buy power with the preorder and premium edition.

And I was right that ArenaNet has let player buy power in this game.

To say that it's all OK because ArenaNet isn't yet selling items directly for real money is like saying to the Bureau of Meteorology, sure you got the tornado warning right, but I'm not going to take you seriously because the tornado arrive 2 hours later than you predicted.
    Here’s our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But it’s never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.
    Straight from the horses mouth.

Did you even read the article besides the title? I'm guessing not.

All I read from you is spouting doomsday crap over something that's not finished yet and over a game that is not even out yet. All I read from you is some eager beaver thinking he was right and couldn't stand not letting the world know he was right before the game was even released.

Come back in a few months when the game is out and you might have a point. However right now, you only have your opinion that you are spouting as fact.

Taking quotes out of context is a lot different than quoting fact.
    "Hey, did you hear Obama wants taxes are to go up substantially next year for everybody?"
    When he really said "Under the tax plans passed by the last administration, taxes are expected to go up substantially next year for everybody."

Yes, you're now Fox News.
    You're a disingenuous liar.

Where have I taken a quote out of context?

Where have I even quoted from that source?

I've only linked to the news post.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Straight from the horses mouth.

Did you even read the article besides the title? I'm guessing not.

All I read from you is spouting doomsday crap over something that's not finished yet and over a game that is not even out yet. All I read from you is some eager beaver thinking he was right and couldn't stand not letting the world know he was right before the game was even released.

Come back in a few months when the game is out and you might have a point. However right now, you only have your opinion that you are spouting as fact.
    I suggest you read the whole post in full.

In this month’s closed beta event, we’ll do some early testing of the Guild Wars 2 microtransactions system. Our microtransaction content isn’t nailed down yet, but we have a good framework in place to support it. So, I’d like to take a moment to explain our goals and the system we have developed to meet them.

We believe in microtransactions because they fund ongoing development of the game in a very straightforward and open way. You, the customer, get to decide how much money you spend on the game after launch, based on how compelling it is to you. You get a complete and playable game no matter what, but we think we can provide additional content and services that you’d be happy to pay for. And when you pay for them, you help fund our support of Guild Wars 2 in a way that benefits all players of the game.

Here’s our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But it’s never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.

I know none of this is new; the original Guild Wars also had microtransactions. But microtransactions were an afterthought in Guild Wars, whereas with Guild Wars 2, we had an opportunity to integrate the microtransaction system from the ground up, giving players more options and more convenience without sacrificing our design principles. So, here’s what we’re doing differently this time.

In Guild Wars 2 we have three currencies: gold, karma, and gems. Gold is the common in-game currency. Karma, which players earn in-game but cannot trade, is used for unique rewards. And gems are the currency that’s bought and used to purchase microtransactions.

We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it’s an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems. We think that’s important, because it lets more players participate on a level playing field, whether they use their free time or their disposable income to do it.

MMO veterans will note the similarities of our system to EVE Online’s PLEX system. As in that case, our system takes gold trading out of the hands of real-money trading (RMT) companies and puts it directly in the hands of players.

We think that’s a great thing.

From a player’s perspective, RMT companies have all the wrong motivations: the more money they make from selling gold, the more they spam ads in the game, run bot networks to farm gold, and hack accounts to loot them for gold. Conversely, under our system, players have all the right motivations. If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins.

We also like the tradability of gems and gold because it makes the rest of the game’s economy more compelling. We’ll have a player-to-player Trading Post in the game—it’s like an auction house but better—which we’ll discuss in an upcoming blog post. Because gems can be traded for gold and vice versa, we don’t need two different trading systems, one for gold and one for gems. In Guild Wars 2, everything on the Trading Post is traded for gold, but of course, somebody who wants to earn gems can just sell items for gold, and then convert the gold to gems.

We have always taken our responsibility to players seriously with the original Guild Wars, and we will continue to do so with Guild Wars 2. We believe the foundation I’ve described here is the right foundation for us to build upon, and we look forward to sharing more details with you in the future as we nail down our microtransaction content.
    And I am right. It says it right there.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-03-31 at 01:44 PM.

You're a disingenuous liar.

Where have I taken a quote out of context?

Where have I even quoted from that source?

I've only linked to the news post.
    Jesus. The quote I used was an EXAMPLE. It was something Fox News did, when they took a speech by Obama well out of context.
    What you did was similar. You said was basically that you can buy gold, and you can use that gold to buy power.
    Which is false. While you can use the gems to buy gold, you can not use that gold to buy power.
    Unless the issue with buying power has changed, it has always been a "this person spent money, so he has an advantage in PvP or in a raid, which is unfair." when what GW2 is doing, because of how gear plateaus, is more like "This person spent money, so he has better skins on his gear than I do. I can also get those skins, but I have to spend more time."

Most of the people on this subforum have no issues with the current system (which is subject to change)
    If it's THAT big of an issue to you, don't play. No reason to bash the game over something that the majority (meaning almost everyone who actually READ the dang article) considers a non-issue.

15+ Year Old Account

ANet has said that Racial Elite won't be as good as the other, the Elite from the Deluxe/Collector's will be equal or worse than the Racials. As such you don't buy power from getting that special Elite from the box. Also the post in the link you seem to be refering to the 3 days headstart as 20$ more expensive. No idea where you got that idea from. You can prepurchase any edition and get the same headstart as the rest who prepurchase. Also no idea why you mention power-ups. There is no such thing, more exp/karma and such is not a power-up. It is a speed-up. Who cares if you get to max level quicker or if you get karma quicker. That doesn't make you more powerful at all.

I suggest you read the whole post in full.
    So now you are complaining that you can buy gems for in game gold? I quoted you buying power.

That gold also has to come from somewhere, it doesn't magically appear for you to buy gems with....

Once again....