Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Good name for an Asuran?

Hi,

So recently with the pre-purchase being so close and a closed beta currently going on I decided it was time I actually spent some time thinking of a name for my first character in Guild Wars 2. I plan to be an asuran mesmer but I still can't quite get a name right. I usually go with something smiliar to or exactly my surname, Vinnicombe, for names such as: Vinni, Vinnix, Elfinni (nelf :P),*insert other badly thought names here*, etc. I'm getting rather sick of it so I came up with Daorn. I really like it, it's simple and easy and I've never heard anyone IRL with such a name so I think it's kind of fitting for an MMORPG.
    Anyway, to make sure the name was appropriate for an asuran I looked up naming rules and surnames for asurans so I could make an informed decision.
    I found out that asurans don't have surnames and that their names are usually 5 or less letters long. They also more commonly have double vowels or consonants in their names.

Daorn fits the letter count but not the double vowel/consonant rule. :/

Does anyone think it still sounds like an asuran name or not? And if not could anyone suggest any asuran names that fit the ''rules''?
    Thanks in advance.

OT: Yay for my first new thread! .....lol
    Last edited by mmocaf5892d726; 2012-03-25 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Spelling errors :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds more like a Norn/Human name to me. But that's just my opinion.

I really like the sound of Vinnix, even if you don't :P but the whole thing with names is you want it to be something you enjoy looking at and being called by, so why not go with Daorn if you like it? Also, are you dead set on following the naming procedures? If you are then that will narrow your choices down significantly.

Buuuuut...I'll give it a go and try to provide you with some. ( I cheated a little )

Lexx
    Reem
    Dipp
    Raang
    Beek
    Kliik
    Ovaak
    Linna (my favorite for a female)

To name a few.

Also...gonna drop this in here for you and anyone else having trouble.

http://www.porfl.de/guildwars-namegenerator,en.html
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    Daorn fits the letter count but not the double vowel/consonant rule. :/

Does anyone think it still sounds like an asuran name or not? And if not could anyone suggest any asuran names that fit the ''rules''?
    Thanks in advance.
    It depends how tightly you want to follow the rules. If you want to be 100% canon, you need the double consonant.

Personal opinion: Daorn pronounces too slowly. An Asuran name should be snappy.

I am reserving 'Smarteepants' ahead of time. :3

Deleted
    Uhh thank you very much for that link.
    I am also a bit stuck on Asuran names and that website was pretty much what I needed!
    Thank you very very much!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    Also...gonna drop this in here for you and anyone else having trouble.

http://www.porfl.de/guildwars-namegenerator,en.html
    Thanks for the link, it helps a lot
    Mif, I think you're right. Not quick enough.
    I think Daorn is off the list for now thank to feedback.

For now I'll go with Vinni.
    Thanks guys

10+ Year Old Account
    An asura's name usually consists of a short, sharp first name with one or two syllables. Feminine asura names typically end in -i or -a vowel sounds, and the masculine in a consonant sound. Any asura whose name does not follow these rules may risk ridicule during childhood. Asura do not have a last name, instead opting to use job titles, a krewe name, or honorifics to differentiate themselves. Those who choose to take a last name of a style similar to humans are rare and are considered eccentrics, though this eccentricity is often ignored by other asura.
    From the wiki. My god... NOT RIDICULE!!!!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taar Sprokrocket!

Actually, I have no clue. :P

The Bookahnator.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    From the wiki. My god... NOT RIDICULE!!!!
    Vinni, that means female asuran name.....
    I was going for a male asuran.....
    Well as I'm a mesmer, all is not what it seems.....
    But seriously, glad I didn't intend to heavily roleplay, I'd be terrible at playing a character who faced ridicule his entire life :P

Mutara
    It's from the same language where "asur" is a word with a meaning - "prohibited". Mutar is just the reverse.

Speedbump.

A good asura name is the only one of my main 5 chars I've nto come up with yet o.0 As it will be main, really need to set it down...
    I have an idea...from my wow noom mage...but it's certainly not canon and not even asura sounding......
    Ahhh decisions. I need inspiration from the great alchemy.

List of official, approved and acceptable asura names follows:

1. Punt Me
    2. Puntable
    3. Le Punt
    4. I Used To Be A Gnome But Tauren Stomped Me
    5. Foot Ball
    6. Hairless Monkey
    7. Wannabe Gnome
    8. Panda Feed

And don't forget to name your norn "I Punt Asura" before it's taken and you have to name him "I Punt Äsura" instead.

And now, let's hope that /punt works in game, and that arenanet doesn't chicken out like blizzard did and warstomp-like abilities one shot asura with a special "splat" animation.

Ratty.
    First one is on the house.

Feed After Midnight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    List of official, approved and acceptable asura names follows:

1. Punt Me
    2. Puntable
    3. Le Punt
    4. I Used To Be A Gnome But Tauren Stomped Me
    5. Foot Ball
    6. Hairless Monkey
    7. Wannabe Gnome
    8. Panda Feed

And don't forget to name your norn "I Punt Asura" before it's taken and you have to name him "I Punt Äsura" instead.

And now, let's hope that /punt works in game, and that arenanet doesn't chicken out like blizzard did and warstomp-like abilities one shot asura with a special "splat" animation.
    Wow forum is that way ----->
    Please don't let Blizzard's pathetic social engineering ruin GW2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Wow forum is that way ----->
    Please don't let Blizzard's pathetic social engineering ruin GW2 as well.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/

I even made a link so it's that much easier.

edit: And since I recognize that their is more to the world than a Chinese labor force: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/