View Poll Results: Why do you think the Mogu became so Agressive?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defective Design

    45 24.32%
  • Old God Corruption

    88 47.57%
  • Other Source of Corruption (Explain)

    25 13.51%
  • Something Else (Explain)

    27 14.59%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Mogu Speculation


    Facts:

    Official Description: In the distant past, mogu warlords ruled Pandaria, keeping the gentle pandaren as their slaves. They ruled with a no-weapon policy, but the pandaren, through tenacity, diplomacy, and a unique form of unarmed combat, staged a successful revolution that deposed the Mogu and established a pandaren empire that would prosper for thousands of years. After millennia of prosperous rule by the pandaren, the Mogu have returned to reclaim control of Pandaria. They crave the domain they once held, and, to regain it, they will sweep usurpers and invaders alike into the dust.

    Possessed of immense size and strength, the Mogu built an empire based on might, in which the weak – other races – were subjugated, and the strong – always Mogu – ascended to power. Imposing stone monuments and titanic siege engines displayed the power of the Mogu to the rest of the land. They turned their strength on the lesser inhabitants of Pandaria, shaping flesh to their whims as they shaped rock. While thy were overthrown in a desperate revolution led by the Pandaren, their legacy persists in thousand year-old ruins too immense to fall.

    Archeology:

    Manacles of Rebellion - Forged of iron and imbued with spells of subjugation and pain, these manacles with inward facing spikes were forced onto the slave races of the Mogu. While the spells have long since faded, their cruelty still sends chills down your spine.

    Cracked Mogu Runestone - Unlike "lesser races" that need schooling in the arts of magic, the ability was innate in the Mogu. From what is known about Mogu usage of magic, it is clear that their magic users did not fall into known categories, such as mage or warlock. Special emphasis was placed on flesh-shaping or spirit-capture magic. The strange residue of the magic that was imbued in this stone is difficult to understand by the modern races of Azeroth. Curiously, some of the markings around the rune resemble the Titan language.

    Terracotta Arm - When the Mogu had exhausted their options for enslaved mortal warriors, they turned their attention to creating armies of animated constructs to do their fighting for them. Because these terracotta warriors would sometimes sit dormant for centuries, it is hard to pinpoint exactly when this one was constructed or used. However, scoring at the base of the severed arm indicates that it was felled in combat.

    Petrified Bone Whip - This whip was fashined from the spine of some large and ancient creature. The blood of many Mogu slaves were shed by this instrument of pain.

    Thunder King Insignia - The symbol of a crown and crossed lightning bolts emblazon this jade emblem. It was a badge once worn by soldiers of the first Mogu emperor, Lei Shen.

    Edicts of the Thunder King - This code of laws, written in the unified language of the first empire, has been carefully chiseled onto the stone tablet. At the top of this list is the command that sedition, insurrection and rebellion be punished by public evisceration.

    Iron Amulet - This huge iron amulet weighs as much as a battle axe. Mogu warriors often wore ""jewelry"" such as this as a demonstration of strength.

    Warlord's Branding Iron - This branding iron emblazoned with the symbol of a minor Mogu warlord was used not on cattle, but on enslaved humanoids.

    Mogu Coin - This currency was used during the reign of mogu emperor Wai, who is depicted in all his snarling glory. The reverse of the coin depicts the changing of Mogu dynasties, a bloody process wherein the previous regime must be overpowered and executed. In many ways, ancient Mogu government was a meritocracy, based on brutal strength and terrible cunning.

    Worn Monument Ledger - Even with powerful magic at their disposal, the Mogu often preferred to use slaves to build their massive monuments. This ledger documents the cost, in slaves, during the construction of one such monument.

    Quilen Statuette - This statuette, carved during the brief reign of Mogu emperor Kang, was part of an experiment to bind Quilen servants in small stones. This experiment was abandoned as the Quilen thus bound were greatly diminished in power and thus deemed unworthy.

    Anatomical Dummy - An anatomical dummy of a Pandaren. It was used to document torture techniques.

    Raid:



    Appearance:



    Information Collected:


    • The Mogu are made of stone;
    • They naturally know and can use titan-like magic, such as shaping living beings;
    • They have a Titan Repository in their palace;
    • They are overly cruel;
    • They believe only the strongest deserve to rule and, in some cases, to live;

    Speculation: Apparently the Mogu are some pretty important titan constructs created to guard that titan repository and/or to create new beings according to the world's necessity.

    Somehow, somewhen they became corrupted and violent. The reasons for this may be a malfunction in their psyche or external corruption. A probably font of external corruption would be the Old Gods (who are always out there to get anything titan-related and corrupt it).

    However, if this is indeed work of the old gods, the question is why they still have their stone bodies. Perhaps the use of titan magic and technology allowed them to mantain their physical perfection.
    Last edited by checking facts; 2012-03-25 at 10:09 PM.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  2. #2
    Most likely the Sha. If not I could see the Titans making the mogu tough and brutal for the hopes of the species the Mogu created rising up and themselves becoming powerful so that azeroth would be covered in tough and well fitted citizens to fight the burning legion. I'll be interested in the Mogu more than any other race in MoP.
    Last edited by Hiphopopotamus; 2012-03-25 at 10:46 PM.

  3. #3
    I believe the Sha are connected to the Old Gods, and have something to do with the Mogu, an apparently Titan race, being such bastards.

    There hasn't been any confirmation so far about the Sha influencing the Mogu though, unlike with the Mantid who are definitely being affected.

    I'm interested in their connection with the Zandalari as well, and whether that might somehow be related to their nature.

  4. #4
    Actually, I'm more intrigued with the fact that they are so close looking to the orcs. We know that Draenor had Earth Giants...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I believe the Sha are connected to the Old Gods, and have something to do with the Mogu, an apparently Titan race, being such bastards.

    There hasn't been any confirmation so far about the Sha influencing the Mogu though, unlike with the Mantid who are definitely being affected.

    I'm interested in their connection with the Zandalari as well, and whether that might somehow be related to their nature.
    let's try analyzing this:

    the mogu ruled over the pandaren thousands of years ago. after a lot of time, the pandaren managed to defeat the mogu and create their own empire.

    the last pandaren emperor did something that hid pandaria in magical mists but that "left it haunted ever since". I'd speculate that's when the sha problem started.

    so it appears the mogu empire and their cruelty predate the sha!

    I could be wrong though
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  6. #6
    i rather would guess Mogu are another "safety catch" for the planet, we know so far, beeings of flesh where never meant to be after all,
    flesh was the curse of the old gods, so put some creatures in place which could work against the curse of flesh and even control it,
    wouldnt be a stupid idea.

    Beside, Deathwing was reversing the course himself, so my guess still is: we (the players and allied races) are the old gods ultimate weapon,
    and in the end we will figure out, that all we did was playing along to their tunes

    back to the Mogu, well like Algalon, just a mechanism to save the planet/fight the curse, we will beat them in the end, getting ourself one step closer to damnation...

  7. #7
    Honestly... I think they're in league with the Old Gods the whole time.... not corrupted. If they were peaceful or part of a Titan research facility they were corrupted long long LOOONG ago...

    Better still, hearing about their "life-shaping" techniques makes me believe we're going to find out the origin/creators of the "Curse of Flesh" is, indeed, the Mogu.

    (((FYI: I'm avoiding reading any of the archaeology datamined stuff as, well, that's half the fun of the profession is FINDING and READING all that goodness! So I don't know if anything I wrote above corroborates or is denied by that stuff.)))

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-25 at 11:29 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Actually, I'm more intrigued with the fact that they are so close looking to the orcs. We know that Draenor had Earth Giants...
    This part hasn't escaped my thought too... it would be a weird interesting idea to discover that Mogu were indeed a race that were the progenitors of the Orcs... which then leads us to wonder how they got "twisting nether faring" technology and got to populate Draenor (assuming they didn't come from there in the first place...).
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  8. #8
    Corruption comes in many forms. The Mogu may simply feel they have the divine right to enslave others to fight the Old Gods. The Vrykul were already violent and warlike before their curse of flesh because they were created to be warriors. The Mogu may be no different. In fact I would not be surprised if they were Orc progenitors from "Southrend" who exiled their weakened fleshy counterparts to Draenor with their Titan technology.

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk Agent Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    1,806
    Don't forget their allies. The Zandalari.

  10. #10
    I don't think the mogu are related to orcs in any way. the mogu are stone lion-men while orcs are green muscle-men lol

    the only similarity I can see is their lower face but I wouldn't count on that as evolutive evidence.

    that's like saying the draenei are related to humans because they have human-like faces lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  11. #11
    Mechagnome Requiemcliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere.
    Posts
    530
    Wait...they have an army of terracotta warriors....

    That kicks several shades of ass...

    Old god or Sha though yeah.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I don't think the mogu are related to orcs in any way. the mogu are stone lion-men while orcs are green muscle-men lol

    the only similarity I can see is their lower face but I wouldn't count on that as evolutive evidence.

    that's like saying the draenei are related to humans because they have human-like faces lol
    The only reason I wouldn't be surprised is it puts Orcs as a direct opposite of Humans. All similarities are pretty superficial.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I don't think the mogu are related to orcs in any way. the mogu are stone lion-men while orcs are green muscle-men lol
    The orcs are originally brown and they are descendent of Draenor's Earth Giants. So, it's not that far reached of a possibility.

  14. #14
    Elemental Lord Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    8,768
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Honestly... I think they're in league with the Old Gods the whole time.... not corrupted. If they were peaceful or part of a Titan research facility they were corrupted long long LOOONG ago...
    Well, you have to think... The Mogu were allied with the Zandalari, who, along with the other trolls, fought against the qiraj and eventually split their empire in two before the sundering... It would seem odd then that the Mogu, supposedly under the rule of the old gods, would ally themselves with the trolls, who were actively kicking the asses of the old god's minions.

    I'd like it more if the Mogu truly were just a self-serving faction, rather than just more pawns of the old gods. To me, it's much more fun to see "bad guys fighting bad guys" then just having it be "you against the entire world."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-03-26 at 12:10 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The orcs are originally brown and they are descendent of Draenor's Earth Giants. So, it's not that far reached of a possibility.
    yeah, brown, green, whatever lol

    but ogres descend from draenor's earth giants, not orcs. giant + flesh = gronn
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    let's try analyzing this:

    the mogu ruled over the pandaren thousands of years ago. after a lot of time, the pandaren managed to defeat the mogu and create their own empire.

    the last pandaren emperor did something that hid pandaria in magical mists but that "left it haunted ever since". I'd speculate that's when the sha problem started.

    so it appears the mogu empire and their cruelty predate the sha!

    I could be wrong though
    No, the order of the events seem correct.

    Be aware though that the reason the pandaren emperor cast the spell of magical mists in the first place was to hide the land from the Burning Legion, so it was shortly before the Sundering. So it may be that the Sundering did something to release the Sha, perhaps cracking the prison of the Old God so it could release further influence into the world.

    Regardless, I'll be looking forwards to discovering the secrets of what's really going on! Pandaria is ripe for speculation and exploration.

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    This part hasn't escaped my thought too... it would be a weird interesting idea to discover that Mogu were indeed a race that were the progenitors of the Orcs... which then leads us to wonder how they got "twisting nether faring" technology and got to populate Draenor (assuming they didn't come from there in the first place...).
    It's possible the titans seeded different worlds with the same or similar races, hence giants on both Azeroth and Draenor.

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,613
    Here's my guess:

    The Mogu were originally titan guardians that were corrupted by an Old God who turns things belligerent and war-like. The Old God is fed by war and violence. It's the master of the Sha, if you will. The Panderan beat them and the old god in Panderia by forsaking bloodshed and not having full on war.

    This Old God will also be the reason why Garrosh ends up being corrupted, just like the Mogu. In fact, i'll wager to bet that he Mogu will align themselves with Garrosh and teach him the secrets of flesh-shaping magic. Hence what's going on under RFC.

  18. #18
    Elemental Lord Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,278
    Calling it here, N'Zoth is linked to the Sha and that what he used to corrupt Deathwing, Naga & Faceless

  19. #19
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Primaliron View Post
    Corruption comes in many forms. The Mogu may simply feel they have the divine right to enslave others to fight the Old Gods. The Vrykul were already violent and warlike before their curse of flesh because they were created to be warriors. The Mogu may be no different. In fact I would not be surprised if they were Orc progenitors from "Southrend" who exiled their weakened fleshy counterparts to Draenor with their Titan technology.
    Haha, this guy's on the right track! Took the words right out of my mouth.

  20. #20
    Epic! Darios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Uninja'd States of Amerikill
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiemcliff View Post
    Wait...they have an army of terracotta warriors....

    That kicks several shades of ass...

    Old god or Sha though yeah.
    A thought just occurred: What if the Sha are related to the Old Gods?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •