10+ Year Old Account

2 Questions about SSD

I found a sale for 2 SSDs, and I was wonder two things. First, is 60gb enough for both WoW (my folder is 38gb) and Windows 7 64-bit, and two, are these good drives? I'm pretty sure my motherboard will only go up to SATA II, not SATA III, so I was thinking of picking up a cheap 60gb SSD to use before I do a system rebuild in May.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=038693
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=045620

Thanks for helping out a SSD noob.

This might be your best bet, should be sufficient for at least a few years. If you want to spend another $20, this is a good choice. You can see what performance improvements you would get here.

If you can afford it, there is no reason to go smaller than 120gb. The smaller drives will be slower and won't last you as long as you acquire more and more games / software that you want to put on.
    Last edited by chaud; 2012-03-26 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    This might be your best bet, should be sufficient for at least a few years.
    Holy.... crap....

That is an amazing price for that much storage and speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank-you for the help Chaud, I just picked up the 120GB Agility 3.

I've hit something of a road block though... should I be copying my OS and my games of choice over to the SSD, or do I just reinstall these files onto the SSD and later delete them from the HDD? I read somewhere that I should unplug the HDD and install Windows 7 on the SSD, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm also reading that I need to do a firmware update? During what part of this process should I do that?

Sorry for the noob questions, I've been unable to find a comprehensive guide on google.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    Thank-you for the help Chaud, I just picked up the 120GB Agility 3.

I've hit something of a road block though... should I be copying my OS and my games of choice over to the SSD, or do I just reinstall these files onto the SSD and later delete them from the HDD? I read somewhere that I should unplug the HDD and install Windows 7 on the SSD, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm also reading that I need to do a firmware update? During what part of this process should I do that?

Sorry for the noob questions, I've been unable to find a comprehensive guide on google.
    Heya! I can help you out here!

Old operating systems might go haywire when you install a "second" one on your new drive. Windows 7 *should* not have problems, but it is still recommended to unplug the SATA cable just while installing windows. It is not recommended (actually it's discouraged) to copy your windows folder. Copying WoW is a good idea, however if you have a fast internet connection reinstalling is usually the best (dont forget to save your WTF/Interface though!)
    You can go to OCZ's website and get a utility for firmware updates there. You can do this when your OS is already installed, however, to minimize complications during OS installation you could do it from your old windows right now.

May I also recommend you take a look at various websites about SSD "tweaks". This is mostly about disabling functions that were originally to enhance your drive's spead, but will only degrade your SSD quicker without giving you any more performance (drive already performs under 1ms for example). Example

I'm not sure how Windows 7 handles SSD installs but if you installed XP to SSD and other SATA devices are plugged in, your boot drive might not end up being C: which can be a bit annoying. As stated above, unplug all SATA devices except for the SSD and the optical drive you're installing from to be sure. The Windows 7 installer should handle all of the partitioning, alignment, and formatting fine.

Not a fan of OCZ though.