Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Need help with my Resume.

So I have been working on my Resume this morning and have been wondering what to include in it. Its late March so I better crack on with my Applications to Colleges and 6th form here in UK before its too late (its never too late, ey? *rolls eyes*). But I am somewhat stuck in what to write in my Resume. I have my layout and just need to get the writing done.

So far Iv layed it out as follows:

about me: Short summery about me, why I am looking into the field of Graphic Design, Network Engineering and possibly Psychology.
    education: Broad picture of my Qualifications.
    skills: What I can offer, have etc... Being fair not over the top like iv seen in some CVs "well im super awesome, best at what I do so pick me yo"
    why I chose the courses: (il need to work that better, il try to keep the headings short). This field pretty much talks about why I feel that id be a good candidate for the courses I have chosen, keeping it rather short but descriptive.

Anything else I should leave out, include or just to help my Resume be somewhat good. Id really appreciate it guys. Heh everything I need help with something I always come on these forums (phpBB boards and techspot too heh).

PS:

Here is a zoomed out snapshot at my Resume. Right now the 'About Me' section rather lacks. I have read from few sites that I should leave 'About Me' section out of the resume, but yeah Il see how it turns out. Only started like 30mins ago anyway ^^ Also my step-dad pointed out, that its too big in length, but just so you know this one is going to be filed online, since the 6th form I am applying to only does Online Applications (or at least what the Receptionist said).

Any friendly suggestions? :P Id appreciate it TONES
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-03-26 at 12:25 PM.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    just make up a bunch of stuff to make you sound really good

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't see a pic.

And I know that pointing out spelling mistakes is against the forum rules, but seeing as it's on a highly related subject... Have someone look over the spelling.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    Can't see a pic.

And I know that pointing out spelling mistakes is against the forum rules, but seeing as it's on a highly related subject... Have someone look over the spelling.
    Spelling isn't an issue since Il be doing a spell check regardless ^^ I am using English Dictionary plugin for Firefox, so I normally correct everything through there ^^ Il upload the image somewhere else, I have it on my ''server'' right now :3

Edit:

Fixed the image link ^^
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    Right now the About Me section sucks, iv read from few sites that I should leave About Me section out, but yeah Il see how it turns out.

Your resume is your "about me." It's redundant to have an about me section in there. If you're looking to make it more personal, that's what the essays/cover letters are for.

I don't know UK standards, especially not for colleges, but if you can keep your resume to 1 page, that's preferable. It's supposed to give the person an overview of you at a glance: your GPA, your extracirrcular activities, hobbies, goals etc. Consider that whoever looks through it probable is going through thousands, so they'll appreciate conciseness.

But, again, maybe UK is different than US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Your resume is your "about me." It's redundant to have an about me section in there. If you're looking to make it more personal, that's what the essays/cover letters are for.

I don't know UK standards, especially not for colleges, but if you can keep your resume to 1 page, that's preferable. It's supposed to give the person an overview of you at a glance: your GPA, your extracirrcular activities, hobbies, goals etc. Consider that whoever looks through it probable is going through thousands, so they'll appreciate conciseness.

But, again, maybe UK is different than US.
    Ah yeah but I guess the About Me section could cover the activities, hobbies and or goals. The 6th form il be applying to has probably few hundred applications at max so it shouldn't be too bad. Back in High School I used to go to that school but when High School ended I went to a different College for graphic design since that school did not have it (too few signed up, or so they said).

1 Page sounds good, il create another page for rather personal information and will also need some portfolio to show them if they request it. I am thinking of making a print based portfolio and one web portfolio to show my "coding" skills ^^
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Spelling isn't an issue since Il be doing a spell check regardless ^^ I am using English Dictionary plugin for Firefox, so I normally correct everything through there ^^ Il upload the image somewhere else, I have it on my ''server'' right now :3

Edit:

Fixed the image link ^^
    OK, after seeing the pic, I would still advise that you have someone look over your resume before you send it anywhere. At the moment there are several actual words missing, such as "an" (I am 18 year old Student...) and "the" (studied Graphic Designs for past 2 years...). Lots of capitalization which is not needed (student/Student), mixing tenses (you had a passion? But not anymore...?) etc etc. Frankly, what little you have there is a bit of a mess.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    OK, after seeing the pic, I would still advise that you have someone look over your resume before you send it anywhere. At the moment there are several actual words missing, such as "an" (I am 18 year old Student...) and "the" (studied Graphic Designs for past 2 years...). Lots of capitalization which is not needed (student/Student), mixing tenses (you had a passion? But not anymore...?) etc etc. Frankly, what little you have there is a bit of a mess.
    Was just a quick rough sketch, at first I am going to type everything out and then to the trimming ^^ "(you had a passion? But not anymore...?)" Not anymore? ^^

So what are the things I should include / points to talk about? I have the general picture but what would your put in your application if you were to apply? Just a headsup kind of thing, not asking to write my Application for me hehe :P
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah but I guess the About Me section could cover the activities, hobbies and or goals.
    It should be the other way around, those sections replace about me, at least in any traditional resume.

Also, I didn't comment on the design because it's subjective to who/what you're applying for. Just remember form without function is bad, and I don't know how easy the alternating columns will be to read "at a glance." But that one's just the call you have to make. When I make my resume for web design, I stuck with the traditional two column system ala http://www.samplestudentresumes.net/...ng-resume1.jpg . I just made it look nice. Your portfolio is where your creativity can shine through, it may be risky to do it with the resume.

You really ought to have a professional who conducts interviews or someone who helps with resumes for a living... go over this.

Not being a dick, but my brother interviews for positions at his workplace which are pretty high end IT positions at some well-known tech companies. Your resume is the very first impression you get to make on a potential employer, so depending on the position you're actually trying to obtain: Your resume needs a LOT of work.

Firefox spellcheck and MMO-Champ are not the ideal places to get very much insight for your professional future, but information on resumes is readily available all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    You really ought to have a professional who conducts interviews or someone who helps with resumes for a living... go over this.

Not being a dick, but my brother interviews for positions at his workplace which are pretty high end IT positions at some well-known tech companies. Your resume is the very first impression you get to make on a potential employer, so depending on the position you're actually trying to obtain: Your resume needs a LOT of work.

Firefox spellcheck and MMO-Champ are not the ideal places to get very much insight for your professional future, but information on resumes is readily available all over the internet.
    Well I am not going to hire Professional which goes over resumes considering its a College/6th Form application otherwise if it was for a job id probably would do that, depending of course on the job I am applying for. It's also not a prestige College/6th Form, just your standard place (live in Essex UK).

Yeah as iv said, it does need lots of work, just started it anyway so it's lacking right now. Just want to know a general key points of what you think would be ideal to have. Once iv got my information layed out I can start sorting the blocks and make it rather more appealing.

Readability is a must, so I am going to try and make it as readable as I can while keeping the application rather decent and not over the top with ''creativity'' ^^

Thanks for the help though, will post back once I do some progress on it, better crack on Id like to have it done and dusted by tomorrow midday ^^
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-03-26 at 12:58 PM.
    -K

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    You'll find a WIDE variety of opinions on Resumes. When I was unemployed I ended up hiring a resume writer and she did up the resume I currently use.

But it doesn't sound like what you are writing is what us 'merikans would consider a resume. This is some form you need to fill out for college? Just fill it in.

For a real employment resume;

Name/Address/Phone/Email at top.

Objective: What your goals are or what position you are seeking. Can be tailored to who you are applying to.
    "Seeking a position allowing and encouraging utilization of my strong, diverse, and successful background and academic credentials. I am looking for a challenging opportunity to contribute to organizational goals, employee productivity, competitive edge, quality, revenue, and profits."
    That sort of shit.

Education: Degree, Field, University name, dates attended, highlights (Special courses, thesis, etc.)
    BACHELOR OF SCIENCE - Mechanical Engineering 2004
    XXXXXXXXXXX UNIVERSITY, Xxxxxxxx, MI
    • Earned 172 credits (4.5 year program), 2004
    • "Six Sigma's Implementation and Impact on XXXX Corporation Validation Process" Thesis, submitted, 2008.

Work History: Most recent first. List your Position first, then the company name. Dates of employment for each position. Details on responsibilities.
    PRODUCT ENGINEER - Contract Employee/BlahBlahCo. 5/2011 - Present
    - Contract Employee/OtherBlahGo. 3/2010 - 3/2011
    XXXXXXXXX CONTROLS, Xxxxxx, MI
    • Worked in the Ford Business Unit on both the B299N Fiesta and C346 Focus programs
    • Traveled to Mexico City to support quality campaign during program launch
    • Managed a variety of testing, including sample receipt, tagging, setup approval, and report
    review. Created and maintained testing glidepath for management review.

Repeat for all relevant employment. (i.e. I don't include my time as a Cashier at a restaurant when I was 16 years old on my resume anymore.)

Qualifications and Attributes:
    • Comprehensive engineering background, with strengths in regulation compliance
    (federal, state, local), product validation, and new product launch.
    • Competent in accounting/bookkeeping (academic training and natural aptitude).
    • Self-directed, flexible, and easily adaptable to new protocols, systems, and processes.
    • Exceptionally strong communication skills; able to listen, provide feedback, analyze,
    encourage group participation, and quickly identify and resolve complex problems.
    • Experience working with a wide range of individuals (cultures/religions), in dynamic
    environments and ever-changing situations, handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
    • Computer literate using Excel Spreadsheets, Word, PowerPoint, and 3-D Modeling.

Training:
    Special classes and training. Stuff like CAD, Six Sigma, LEAN, DFC. If you learned how to do VBasic or C++ or something you could put that here.

Affiliations:
    • Delta Xxxxxx Xxxxxx Fraternity, Xxxxxxxx University, Treasurer, 3 years
    • Volunteer, Xxxxxxx Kiwanis Fund Raising Projects, 2006 and 2007

Additional Information:
    I didn't necessarily agree with this but my resume writer said it was a good idea so it's on my resume. This has stuff like that I'm single, gives my birthday, says I've had 2 years of Spanish, and hobbies (board games, cards, camping).

A couple special notes:

When putting in your work experience, list your Title/Position first, Company second. The resume is about you and who you are. Your resume should read "I AM A PRODUCT ENGINEER, and I worked for BlahBlahBlah Company." and not the other way around.
    If you have done any community service, anything at all, include it. 90% (made up number) of the population doesn't do shit for community service, so if you do something then it's more than a lot of people do.
    If your education is one of your major selling points, have that first (right under objective). For some other people your education is less important than work experience. For example, my Engineering Degree is important, so it's first. If I were an Electrician or something I might leave my education at the bottom and have my relevant work experience on top.
    And finally, a resume should be ONE PAGE. ONE PAGE. My resume writer said that in the 30+ whatever years that she's been writing resumes there were like 3 people who should have resumes that were over 1 page long, and they were all authors who would (correctly) include a list of published works on their resume. For EVERYONE else, keep it to one page.

As for formatting, mine looks like this:
    Last edited by Porcell; 2012-03-26 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much Sir, I really appreciate that. Actually the 6th form requires a CV/Resume (C.V. If you have studied at a different school please write a short personal profile explaining your reason for choosing XXXXXXXXX and the courses you have selected.) hence why I am writing one The other College has a form to fill out so il do that + already have a both web and print based portfolios.

Once again thanks, that really helps man

Iv already researched all over the Web and seen some example, just wanted to see opinions here at MMO-Champion on what to include, talk about and leave out. As for Community Service, well I did Duke of Edinburgh Bronze :3 Once again thanks

Had a little break, back to the CV ^^
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-03-26 at 04:12 PM.
    -K

They will know it is a resume once they see it, you do not need a giant word "resume" at the top. Perhaps you might want to replace that with your name.

Also try to keep your formatting consistent, keep your headers on the same side. If you want to be more creative with layout you can use different columns.

Other than that porcell seems to be covering most of stuff.

Could ask a HR manager then u'd be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the headsup Elenion. I have already added my name and email/phone number (where the blurred part is). The giant Resume was only purely for Aesthetics which I felt made it look rather creative (I am applying for further education in Graphic Design, CCNA, ICT and Psychology. Though il make it rather smaller, it does seem slightly big taking up valuable space which could be used for something rather more important.
    -K

Are you sure that your application requires a Resume and not a Personal Statement? I've been a teacher in HighSchool in Essex and I'm unaware or any 6th Forms requiring an actual resume... but I could be wrong. Regardless, my recommendation is to make an appointment at the HighSchool that you attended. Ask to speak to the school careers advisor/teacher usually in charge of the year 11s applications to further education. They will be able to help you and guide you in figuring out what to write in include in your application. No doubt they will have to be involved in the process anyway to obtain your school records and such.

Thanks for the headsup Elenion. I have already added my name and email/phone number (where the blurred part is). The giant Resume was only purely for Aesthetics which I felt made it look rather creative (I am applying for further education in Graphic Design, CCNA, ICT and Psychology. Though il make it rather smaller, it does seem slightly big taking up valuable space which could be used for something rather more important.
    I noticed your name is already there and blurred, just trying to point out you might want to give your name most attention when they see it first by making it most prominent. Aesthetic and design is a great way to differentiate your resume from others, however you want to have reason for doing what you're doing. (These are my opinion as a graphic designer)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gersey View Post
    Are you sure that your application requires a Resume and not a Personal Statement? I've been a teacher in HighSchool in Essex and I'm unaware or any 6th Forms requiring an actual resume... but I could be wrong. Regardless, my recommendation is to make an appointment at the HighSchool that you attended. Ask to speak to the school careers advisor/teacher usually in charge of the year 11s applications to further education. They will be able to help you and guide you in figuring out what to write in include in your application. No doubt they will have to be involved in the process anyway to obtain your school records and such.
    Ah sweet man. Well I am applying to Shoeburyness and they said to attach:

C.V.

If you have studied at a different school please write a short personal profile explaining your reason for choosing Shoeburyness and the courses you have selected.
    So just creating one now, so I have it for near future and can keep editing when I a new idea, qualification and so forth to be added.
    -K

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, when I look at a prospective employee / trainee, I prefer someone with some focus. Make up your mind first as to what you want to do.
    Psychology? Network Engineering?

How exactly do you intend to apply for any position regarding psychology without an appropriate degree?
    Same as to Network Engineering.

Graphic Design seems to be your best bet. Focus on that.

When I read the words... "I have no experience, but I am a fast learner..."

Oh yeah? My dog is a fast learner too. You are trying to get me to employ you. If I find value in your abilities, I may decide to promote or keep you. Bring nothing to the table, what possible use are you to me?

Like anything in life, you need to sell yourself. How do you sell something? You find something that people need or convince them that they need it.

EDIT: oh yeah, sell me on the first page. Not in an essay. I have hundreds of CV's I'm looking through.
    Last edited by Melpo; 2012-03-26 at 04:50 PM.
    My blog & rants: www.wocky.me