Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What happens if....?

Let's say that 10.000 people pre-purchase the game 10th april. As we all know they are supposed to get into the upcoming betas. But what happens if they only have limited spots in the next beta? Let's say they only have 8.000 spots in the next beta.
    hope they have a good solution on this?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say they have room for all 10 people...

Elysia's epic sig skillz

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    But what happens if they only have limited spots in the next beta? hope they have a good solution on this?
    Yeah, the solution is to not have a cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    I'd say Hey yey yey yeyya, beta keys for everyone, oh yeeeah!

10 people all on the same server?!?!? I call shenanigans!! hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, according to ANet's pre-purchase site: https://buy.guildwars2.com/
    All pre-purchase editions include these exclusive bonuses:

Access to all Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Events...
    Unlike WoW's Annual Pass, pre-purchasing this will allow you into all the beta events after the purchase was made. So chances are a situation won't arise like that since it specifically states you'll be granted access to all weekend beta events. (as in, from what it seems, they don't have a particular amount of slots open or planned to exclusively fill once pre-purchase is available).
    Last edited by Hanto; 2012-03-26 at 12:54 PM.

I just hope they don't send it out in waves like MoP. Sucky not getting your Key after a week even though it's guaranteed to you

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a feature in the game based on ridiculous large-scale pvp.

Unlike the WoW invite, I'm sure arenanet is going to give you your access upfront, if only for WvW stresstesting alone.

I believe what the OP is trying to say is, what happens if there are so many people who pre-purchase the game they don't have enough slots to accomidate them all. As in, 1 million people pre-purchase and they are only planning for 10,000 people. Will they tell people too bad or will they just live with a laggy game.

My response is that unlike WoW, Anet has the game basically done. All that is left is likely stress testing the server so they are counting on a lot of pre-purchases. The have the servers ready to roll so they can accomidate everyone who wants to play. Or at least that's what I think will happen. Blizz on the other hand probably only has a handful of servers for beta since the game is already live they can't use those servers. Basically I liken it to Anet will just use the servers they are going to use for live for beta. For example blizz converting all existing servers into beta servers for MoP.

If the world would end on 12th April, would those 10k subscribers get a payback?

If i subscribe on 11th april, then go eating sushi, will it affect the soccer world championships, that i didnt use my hankerchief?

There are LOTS of IF´s we could ask ourselves or others, but 99% of them are just useless waste of brain energy.

You think its gonna be only 10k? More like 100k+ will pre-purchase within day(s).
    They will simply launch more servers... simple. They have the hardware ready anyway.

The simple reality is that ArenaNet will have an expectation of how many people will buy the game in the first couple of months - not just those who will prepurchase.

I'd be fairly sure the server infrastructure to support the intended number of clients is already in place (or very nearly so), and that infrastructure will be quickly expandable (thinking blade servers here with large SAN arrays for storage etc). They will also have a service level agreement in place with their hardware vendor that will cover contingencies like having to put more servers on very quickly.

Really, in todays day and age, this sort of a "problem" - whilst it still needs to be carefully planned and contingencies in place etc - isn't really a problem as it would have been a number of years ago, and is quickly solved if you do your homework right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark read digit grouping.

Some countries express groupings with periods instead of commas. These same countries use commas in place of the decimal point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think that after what's happening with the annual pass they'd learn to be more prepared and expect to get massive amounts of players to sign up for stuff :/

10+ Year Old Account
    By the time they get to open beta weekends it's almost guaranteed that they will have enough servers up for all the testers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

They know how many people applied to the first BWE.
    They would not promise slots for all pre-purchases if they did not have room for AT LEAST the 1mil people who applied for that.

who said they dont have slots right now? they cant invite everyone to the beta... 1m ppl must be some that wont like it so they wont buy it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dukim View Post
    who said they dont have slots right now? they cant invite everyone to the beta... 1m ppl must be some that wont like it so they wont buy it..
    Over 1million people requested to be in the beta over the couple days the signups were available.
    A few thousand got in.
    They said everyone who pre-purchases will get in, and they know how many people are looking forward to the game.
    If there was not room for AT VERY LEAST the 1million people who signed up for the first event, they would have said that the pre-purchase gave you a "higher chance" to get into betas, not a guaranteed slot.
    They said it was a guaranteed slot, and they are not fresh out of preschool, so would not claim that if there was not room.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusTheGreat View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark read digit grouping.

Some countries express groupings with periods instead of commas. These same countries use commas in place of the decimal point.
    I like how you're the only one who seemingly got that :P
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    I like how you're the only one who seemingly got that :P
    I'm sure every other person understood what he meant, but why post constructively when you can troll?