Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    True....but guess what....Law is not on your side.

And rotted... seriously? Get over it..... you could of WALKED AWAY...OMG I KNOW...WHAT A CONCEPT.
    Yet. laws are started to change to reflect how bad smoking actually is.

And as far as walking away. Why should -I- (the one who chose to live a healthier life not dependent on a recreational drug and not hurting others around me) be forced to change/move in favor of the the person who is damaging them self andnot caring about the well being of others in a space that is not explicitly theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

Deleted
    smokers know the risk and still smoke, let them if they want to. advertisements should be banned to stop the influence in kids , when they are adults and still want to smoke, its their choice.

A lot but not all....Try that in my City and they will laugh at you.
    You would be surprised. It was a hot debate in my state. The smokers thought is would never work. it happened.

Also if the state passes it, sucks to be your city.
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

This thread is quickly getting derailed by the most self-righteous members of the forum. It's not a thread about smoking in public, it's a thread about anti-smoking adverts.

If an anti-smoking commercial grosses you out, you probably shouldn't be watching TV, or using any form of media in the first place. The rose-colored glasses store is that way -->

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotan View Post
    You would be surprised. It was a hot debate in my state. The smokers thought is would never work. it happened.

Also if the state passes it, sucks to be your city.
    Will never happen here.... The state IS the city here. We run the entire state. Tried to pass it before and it failed miserably.,

I personally don't care if other people smoke or not, but these commercials might help kids... If I sit in a room full of 40-50 y/o people I will easy be able to determine who smoked for a long time and who hasn't... Just look at smokers, it wrecks your body, and I'm not just speaking about your longes, you really see it on their faces aswell for example. But hey, it's their choice... not my problem if they throw away their lives.

I do agree OP, those comercials can reduce the visual a bit, especially during the day when kids are still awake.

If it's such a bad thing, make it illegal. Allowing it to be legal while running ads like that (and not allowing the other side to run their ads) is just ridiculous.

True....but guess what....Law is not on your side.

And rotted... seriously? Get over it..... you could of WALKED AWAY...OMG I KNOW...WHAT A CONCEPT.
    LOL your an idiot, Sorry boss not coming into work today because im surrounded by smokers? you need to think before opening your mouth to argue you stupid child
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    LOL your an idiot, Sorry boss not coming into work today because im surrounded by smokers? you need to think before opening your mouth to argue you stupid child
    Ahh...I see your true inside. That's ok.. One day you will grow up and realize that your anger is not needed. Until than....LOL

Where did I say don't go to work? Did you even ask any of them to stop? No... thought so...

So whats to the left of the guy smoking? A cliff? Yeah you could of walked away and still "caught" your bus.

Bitching for bitchin sakes...thats all it is.

Hehehe you were banned.,.....haw haw
    Last edited by Punks; 2012-03-26 at 11:08 PM.

Stop smoking, start vaping.

No harmful chemicals, second hand smoke, awful smell or taste. Fewer or equal TSNAs (cancer causing substances in tobacco) to FDA approved nicotine replacement therapy (and fewer by thousands of magnitudes less than in tobacco), and so far thousands and thousands of anecdotal cases of people easily quitting cigarettes for vaping. Granted it's lacking in substantial studies, but Health New Zealand and Boston University School of Public Health have both done in depth studies and found no clear health risks.

Bit more on topic: The stop smoking campaigns are great for raising awareness that smoking is indeed awful for your health. The problem with that awareness is, it's a bitch to quit. FDA Approved patches, gums, and inhalers cost a ridiculous amount and have a proven track record of < 5% success rate, some studies showing ~ a 1.5% increased chance over quitting cold turkey, and that the clinical success rates are hokum.

I don't see how people can draw a line at anti smoking ads, but are perfectly happy with the gratuitous amounts of violence and sex on television in general. Not that I'm saying I'm against any of that, as I don't think TV has that great of an influence on people who are stable. If something on TV traumatizes you, you already had problems to begin with.
    Last edited by Dirgon; 2012-03-26 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by gneugen View Post
    This thread is quickly getting derailed by the most self-righteous members of the forum. It's not a thread about smoking in public, it's a thread about anti-smoking adverts.

If an anti-smoking commercial grosses you out, you probably shouldn't be watching TV, or using any form of media in the first place. The rose-colored glasses store is that way -->
    in my shitty state its not just TV schools have presentations that are mandatory by the school

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I had to sit and wait for my bus this morning, at the only stop, I had a old man smoking a bloody huge cigar next to me on the right, to my left another man smoking a pipe, behind me a wall in front of me the main road? I had to sit between them for 12 minutes waiting,

I them stank of stale smoke for the rest of the day, had to change the second I got home and shower, and I can still smell the shit on me, not to mention while these 2 morons were smoking, I was inhale and coughing my guts up, anyone with a shred of common sense would of stopped, for all they knew I could of been asthmatic.

so what do you suggest, I hold my mouth for 12 minutes or step out into the middle of the road?
    Stand up wind, problem solved. You don't even have to move very far.

Honestly people who cough and pretend hack when they even smell 2nd hand smoke are fucking ridiculous.

I am in the process of quiting but as a smoker I try to be considerate, I will move down wind from people. Exhale away from other people.

The ads are for shock value, if they help people quit, great. But guess what, all that lost tax revenue will be pushed onto other products.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I have to walk behind and past smokers constantly; and it stinks like hell. I have plenty of right to voice my opinion that smokers should fuck off.
    I totally agree. I get sick of the "it's my body, I'll do what I want" argument. We all know liberty only extends to the tips of our noses: meaning that we have the right to do to ourselves whatever we want (yes there are extremes where we can't) but once that action has an effect on another person, our right to liberty is no longer extended. You can't go out shooting guns in the streets because it presents reasonable danger and definite annoyance to people around you. You shouldn't be able to smoke in the streets for one of those reasons: annoyance. If you want to chew in public, go right ahead, that has 0 effect on me. But when you start blowing smoke in my face as I walk by, you can go fuck yourself. It's rude, it's disgusting and there's multiple reasons why I don't partake in it. As such, it should be regulated.

And as to the ads: no one is forcing your theoretical children to watch these ads. If you're too lazy to screen their TV viewing, the fault is with you and not the ads. And to liken this to the smoking argument: If i walked into a bar 15 years ago and was pissed off by the smoke, I would have 0 right to bitch at the smokers in there because they were within their rights and I was in the wrong place. Much like me in the bar, your kids shouldn't be watching most TV without supervision, because there are too many messages they can't understand or will interpret incorrectly. As such, you should be screening what they watch at all times, as a responsible parent.

As an aside: currently, I would not hassle a smoker for his/her addiction in a public place that lacks "no smoking" ordinances, because as I said earlier they are exercising their liberties. But that doesn't stop me from being loud about the fact that I want their addiction to be corralled to places where it has 0 effect on me.

/endrant

Then the government should nut up and make the shit illegal then, if they have such a problem with it. Just do it, ban it.

They don't. And why? Answer the question why? Is it a money thing or a freedom thing? I'd lean more toward a money thing. It's always about the money.
    Probably the same reason they dont ban alcohol...

again...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Apparently it is, since a lot of states/cities have banned smoking in public places and courts are ruling the laws constitutional.
    Can't wait for it to be banned. I can't think of anything I despise more than smokers...

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Probably the same reason they dont ban alcohol...

again...
    Because people would smoke illegally then? If banning smoking caused people to cramp up in basements to smoke, I would be all for that ban.
    Children would be way less likely to smoke and it wouldn't bother anyone who didn't smoke.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    Can't wait for it to be banned. I can't think of anything I despise more than smokers...

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 06:58 PM ----------

Because people would smoke illegally then? If banning smoking caused people to cramp up in basements to smoke, I would be all for that ban.
    Children would be way less likely to smoke and it wouldn't bother anyone who didn't smoke.
    Then you have druglords selling tobacco and buying more guns... no...

10+ Year Old Account
    Smoking killed my grandfather. You don't like 30 second commercials? Try visiting one for hours at a time when you're ten.

Trust me when I say that yes, the scare factor works, and you're getting off light compared to what some people have to live with.

Smoking will never be banned. How do you think the majority of Governors/Presidents deal with the stress of their jobs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Do you have empirical evidence to prove that their anti-smoking campaign isn't working?

There are plenty of articles/studies that say it is:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...more-harm.html
    http://www.championsforhealth.org/do...eally-work.php
    http://adage.com/article/news/fundin...g-rate/232111/
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...king-campaign/
    http://stuartsmithsblog.com/2012/03/...e-really-work/
    http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ads-effective/

If I had children, I'd encourage them to watch the commercials to scare them into not smoking, because fear works. It's probably best that I don't have children, eh?
    Yea it works wonders with the anti-drinking campaign.

I would say less people smoke because of the price than because of the adverts, especially in the UK where a pack of 10 smokes is about £5 (about $8) i can buy a good amount of cheap alcohol for less than that.

Also I started smoking cigars after all those adverts, considering how many other cancer causing chemicals are in everything else i think picking out smoking as the bad guy is stupid.

I guess I don't see the problem here. They're trying to raise awareness for an unhealthy habit that smart people won't pick up in the first place.