Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    smoking in New York is currently only like 14% of the population, the number dropped from 20%+ or so since the campaign started.
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I had to sit and wait for my bus this morning, at the only stop, I had a old man smoking a bloody huge cigar next to me on the right, to my left another man smoking a pipe, behind me a wall in front of me the main road? I had to sit between them for 12 minutes waiting,

I them stank of stale smoke for the rest of the day, had to change the second I got home and shower, and I can still smell the shit on me, not to mention while these 2 morons were smoking, I was inhale and coughing my guts up, anyone with a shred of common sense would of stopped, for all they knew I could of been asthmatic.

so what do you suggest, I hold my mouth for 12 minutes or step out into the middle of the road?

and its proven fact those companies work otherwise it wouldn't be advertised,

oh and someone else who said the amount of money that smoking brings into the country? how about how much they cost our Health service every year, when their rolled up in a ball dying slowly for years needing constant medical help and treatment? they out weight each other so dont pull finical bull shit
    So if I strongly oppose something I need to use aggressive and offensive marketing? Let me promote my atheism by showing a beheaded religious figure, then. The end does not justify the means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity_09 View Post
    To answer the latter question first, because I have to see them everyday as consequence of my job. To the former, I am not invested enough in the issue to bring up all the evidence to point you so clearly one way. If you THINK about it, it makes sense. The amount of money Canada skims off the top from all the Sin taxes together is an awfully big amount. I am not saying smoking is good for anyone, it isn't but they are being treated like lepers now, whatever happened to equality? America is awfully vocal about its "freedom", yet get cross when people exercise it.

Edit: Sorry, I mean exercise it in a way they don't like.
    Apologies, I wasn't talking about Canadian sin taxes. As others have said, in the U.S., tax revenue brought in from tobacco is at $17 billion. The amount spent in order to treat illnesses stemming from smoking costs $75 billion dollars. This isn't an argument that you can wave away by saying "these are clearly wrong if you just think about it." If you aren't going to provide proof to the contrary, I can't side with you.

And these ads aren't forcing you to quit smoking, and they aren't forcing you to watch them. If you could go into more specifics as to how your job forces you to watch them, maybe I could understand your point. But right now, companies still have as much freedom to show you disgusting, if dramatized, depictions of smoking related illnesses as much as the smokers have to burn up my nostrils as I walk by.

If you're going to say that non-smokers have to deal with it, I'm sure you can deal with seeing a pair of cancerous lungs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gneugen View Post
    This thread is quickly getting derailed by the most self-righteous members of the forum. It's not a thread about smoking in public, it's a thread about anti-smoking adverts.

If an anti-smoking commercial grosses you out, you probably shouldn't be watching TV, or using any form of media in the first place. The rose-colored glasses store is that way -->
    You do know that people want to place these ads on the packs themselves, right? Also, you do know that these packs are highly visible too, right?

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 03:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Apologies, I wasn't talking about Canadian sin taxes. As others have said, in the U.S., tax revenue brought in from tobacco is at $17 billion. The amount spent in order to treat illnesses stemming from smoking costs $75 billion dollars. This isn't an argument that you can wave away by saying "these are clearly wrong if you just think about it." If you aren't going to provide proof to the contrary, I can't side with you.

And these ads aren't forcing you to quit smoking, and they aren't forcing you to watch them. If you could go into more specifics as to how your job forces you to watch them, maybe I could understand your point. But right now, companies still have as much freedom to show you disgusting, if dramatized, depictions of smoking related illnesses as much as the smokers have to burn up my nostrils as I walk by.

If you're going to say that non-smokers have to deal with it, I'm sure you can deal with seeing a pair of cancerous lungs.
    Except it's the government itself trying to push these ads on people

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 03:46 PM ----------

I dunno, if smokers have the right to release that foul smelling smoke into the air that burns my nostrils, I would think companies have the right to air ads that upset your stomach. And if your response that I could just cover my nose, then you could just look away.
    Well, then. Tell me an issue you are passionate about and I'll do the most aggressive and disgusting form of protest against it to your face.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    Yea it works wonders with the anti-drinking campaign.

I would say less people smoke because of the price than because of the adverts, especially in the UK where a pack of 10 smokes is about £5 (about $8) i can buy a good amount of cheap alcohol for less than that.

Also I started smoking cigars after all those adverts, considering how many other cancer causing chemicals are in everything else i think picking out smoking as the bad guy is stupid.
    The media pointing out minute concentrations of cancer chemicals in random everyday products is stupid.

Never once do the articles about the substances mention that you would have to drink a million bottles of dishwasher soap or whatever other nonsense they decide "has cancer" to have any actual harmful effect. I swear sometimes bored news stations look through peer-reviewed journals for a substance that causes cancer and then look through all uses of that substance just to run a shock story.

There are actual REAL causes of cancer, and smoking is one of the bigger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Well, then. Tell me an issue you are passionate about and I'll do the most aggressive and disgusting form of protest against it to your face.
    An issue that I'm in favor of that causes thousands and thousands of deaths? You realize what you are defending, right?
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    So you're more worried about children being shocked with those commercials and probably making them not have any ideas of smoking when they grow up than not knowing the dangers of smoking and carrying on with it?

Get your priorities straight, will you
    Get your own priorities straight, there's less offensive ways to educate.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 03:51 PM ----------

All I know is that if shock value is apparently a good thing, people have no right to criticize flag-burning, sex images, Lady Gaga, homosexual displays of affection, atheist demonstrations, Westboro Church funeral protests, et cetera.

15+ Year Old Account
    All I know is that if shock value is apparently a good thing, people have no right to criticize flag-burning, sex images, Lady Gaga, homosexual displays of affection, atheist demonstrations, Westboro Church funeral protests, et cetera.
    Correct across the board.

And media outlets would agree that shock value is a great thing (though I'm not particularly in favor of it).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    erm thats a stupid way to be i have never smoked and im sick of walking around in a cloud of disgusting smoke because people cant just quit wasting money so keep up the good work anti smokers one day we will live in a world where people dont have to make us feel sick

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I guess I don't see the problem here. They're trying to raise awareness for an unhealthy habit that smart people won't pick up in the first place.
    You have confused the meaning of "smart" with something else, it seems.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    =
    An issue that I'm in favor of that causes thousands and thousands of deaths? You realize what you are defending, right?
    I oppose a facet of anti-smoking advertising, that does not mean I oppose anti-smoking campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Do you have empirical evidence to prove that their anti-smoking campaign isn't working?

There are plenty of articles/studies that say it is:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...more-harm.html
    http://www.championsforhealth.org/do...eally-work.php
    http://adage.com/article/news/fundin...g-rate/232111/
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...king-campaign/
    http://stuartsmithsblog.com/2012/03/...e-really-work/
    http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ads-effective/

If I had children, I'd encourage them to watch the commercials to scare them into not smoking, because fear works. It's probably best that I don't have children, eh?
    A study here seems to conflict with that.
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-0...l-smokers.html

I'm not going to read through the whole topic to see if it's been mentioned, but since you put the words "smoker" in the topic, the anti-smoking adds keyed in at the bottom of the page XD

EDIT: I guess I might as well weight in as well. I'm getting kind of sick and tired of the anti-smoking things nowadays. I don't regularly smoke. I do smoke a tobacco pipe, on occasion, on a friend's porch or something, or outside of a bar. I do not smoke when I'm not in an area designated for it, essentially, where other people are already smoking. I don't understand why people are on a crusade to have smoking forcibly removed from every single bar and restaurant in every single state. If you don't like it, go to another bar or restaurant. If people cared to much, bars and restaurants would start going non-smoking only on their own, to get business back. It's not your constitutional right to be able to feel comfortable in every restaurant in the nation.

EDIT II: I'd also like a more comprehensive break down of this "One in every three people who ever try smoking will die from it" thing. What all are they counting as dying from smoking?

"Oh! he smoked a cigar after his baby boy was born, and 60 years later, died of heart disease! IT WAS THE DEMON TOBACCO!"
    Last edited by Nos; 2012-03-26 at 08:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, question: if the government allows the graphic imagery to be used in anti-smoking ads, can other entities sue the government for limiting their own graphic content? can the movie industry sue in regards to violence-based R-rated movie restrictions?

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly, highly doubt you could be more offensive than the Westborough Baptist Church.

My point is, if I have to deal with it, so do you. Those assholes were protesting at my uncle's funeral, and while they are at the pinnacle of my disgust, I know I just have to grit my teeth and deal with it.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-03-26 at 08:28 PM.

I highly, highly doubt you could be more offensive than the Westborough Baptist Church.
    The day they came to Mississippi, and the events that unfolded thereafter, made me proud to actually be from Mississippi. I'll try to find the article. Essentially, people found license plates from their state at the hotel they were staying at, and parked behind them, so they couldn't get out and go to the funeral they were going to protest. When they called the towing company, they essentially told them "Yeah. We'll get around to it eventually." And refused to come move the cars.

A day or so after the scheduled protest of the funeral, one of them was starting shit at a gas station when they were leaving the state... Somehow he got beaten up. They called the cops, but nobody in the crowd was "able" to identify to attacker, and the cops said that he was probably just making stuff up, and left.

I laughed. So hard.

EDIT: It's a tangent, I know. But I was reminded and felt like sharing.
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    A study here seems to conflict with that.
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-0...l-smokers.html
    You're gonna find studies/articles that "prove" both sides, my post was asking for a source from the OP, since they made an awful lot of claims with nothing to back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    You're gonna find studies/articles that "prove" both sides, my post was asking for a source from the OP, since they made an awful lot of claims with nothing to back them up.
    Sadly, stats these days are almost as subjective and worthless as opinions.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Goddamn topic is making Google-ads put anti-smoking ads at the bottom of the page, making me look at stoma shaving dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    PS: MMO-Champ, please remove the ad they have here. It's really vomit-inducing and makes me want to click that little MMO-Champ icon I have on my toolbar a lot less.
    No idea what these ads are you speak of...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    The university I attend is a "smoke-free" campus, 90% of smokers smoke next to the signs that say so

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Goddamn topic is making Google-ads put anti-smoking ads at the bottom of the page, making me look at stoma shaving dude.
    Judging by the "PS" at the bottom of the first post, I'm fairly certain that the ads are what prompted the OP to make the topic, they came first.