What is the deal lately?

Before I ask my question, I am not 'QQing' as some will put it, nor have I any qualm with anything Blizz, Activision, random players, or GMs or anyone has done.

Basically I'm curious as to why people who post threads complaining of an issue they have get flamed by people who post things such as "You won't be missed" "WoW is a better place without you" and so on.

Aren't forums a place to discuss current issues people have? Aren't the forums a place for topics to be analyzed and discussed with at least some thought instead of a generic "GTFO" message portrayed by the general population as of late?

Also, yes, they should be in one direct forum thread, instead of 100 different single posts, I do understand that fact.

I'd like some opinions on this, it has been in my head for a day or so now. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people voice their complaints in a pretty non-constructive form, so they end up getting flamed for it. There is also the factor of people having heard the same complaints many times before and they get annoyed when many follow each other. They could just not post and provoke the arguments they cause...but this is the internet and that's just not gonna happen.

Some people are also too caught up in their own fanatical following of the game and defend it without even considering the post they're flaming too. It depends on the individual, and once a few start off acting as you describe then it kinda just snowballs. I personally get annoyed when people reply to a post to let everyone know they don't care about the topic being discussed. It's akin to sticking your head in a shop and yelling "I DON'T LIKE THE STUFF SOLD HERE SO I WON'T BE SHOPPING HERE!"
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally i have no idea as to what you are speaking of, as i am not engaging myself in threads i find uninteresting.

But yes, i do agree that generic messages with no real thought behind them should stop. Though i cannot say i have never posted short messages with little or no intelligence behind them.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Because most of the time when someone is "trying to bring up an issue for discussion" it just ends up being aimless ranting and complaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it is ranting by people giving their 2 cents... which even though they say no one cares, you won't be missed, or see you at launch all those comments that make people feel like a special snowflake do little more then bump threads. I have gotten to the point in forums that I am no longer forgiving and put people on ignore easily. Even if they might be smart individuals I have little respect for smarmy or nonconstructive people.

I go to even as far as skipping posts at times to if I see the lines. "This thread again" "This is new and relevant" Or troll pointing, I am just thankful I am not a mod I am sure I would of banned at least about 10% of any community I was in charge of.

IMO, the reason people say "See ya!" or "You won't be missed!" is because it is usually the way to treat those with childish behaviors. I think of when a kid says to their parents "I am going to run away and you'll see how much you miss me!" As a parent, IMO, it is best to just say "Ok, hope all goes well for you, let me know if you need me and we are here for you."

If you plead for the child to stay, he will think it is ok to do it each time and every time you will cave in and give them what they want, attention.

While I wish I had a clip of the video, I do not. All I can find is the transcript from Futurama when Bender becomes younger and says he is going to run away:

Professor: "Oooh, I don't have time for this. I have to go buy a single piece of fruit with a coupon and then return it, making people wait behind me while I complain."

Bender: "I'm tired o' your yappin'!"
    Bender drives his motorcycle around inside the Laboratory and smashes over the Professor's workbench.
    Bender: "All you ever do is complain, you never try to make things better. Well, I'm runnin' away from this dead-end family. I know there's a place for people like me with new ideas! There has to be!"
    Professor: "Fine. Get going."
    Bender: "Ohh, I'm goin'. You're gonna be all, 'Where's Bender? I miss Bender!'"
    Professor: "We won't know that until you leave."
    Bender: "Ohhhh, I'm leavin'!"
    Professor: "There's the door."
    They stare at each other in silence for a few seconds, then Bender turns off his motorbike and meekly lowers his head in defeat.
    Bender: "I'll be good."

15+ Year Old Account
    The idea of class balance always made me wonder. I played WoW for years and years. sometimes my class was good, sometimes it was terrible. It went in cycles. People complain and complain about this but it always comes and goes. Best not to worry about such things and just play an alt.

As for people like that here.. report them. They'll get banned eventually.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Before I ask my question, I am not 'QQing' as some will put it, nor have I any qualm with anything Blizz, Activision, random players, or GMs or anyone has done.

Basically I'm curious as to why people who post threads complaining of an issue they have get flamed by people who post things such as "You won't be missed" "WoW is a better place without you" and so on.

Aren't forums a place to discuss current issues people have? Aren't the forums a place for topics to be analyzed and discussed with at least some thought instead of a generic "GTFO" message portrayed by the general population as of late?

Also, yes, they should be in one direct forum thread, instead of 100 different single posts, I do understand that fact.

I'd like some opinions on this, it has been in my head for a day or so now. Thanks!
    Becuase nowadays, it's a bad thing to be able to think criticly and not just bending over and taking whatever rubbish is pushed up your bum. And that's the short, politicly correct version of what I wanted to say.
    If you think this is bad, you should see the Battlefield 3 forums. Any attempt at being reasonable or constructive is either completley ignored or mocked into the ground with "go play mw3" and similar things.

I do agree with what you guys think. Do you believe that both sides are in the wrong? As in, there should be 1 distinctive thread for posting complaints and discussing issues, and that people should not get flamed for voicing their opinions? Basically, I know this is impossible, but why can't said people see this issue and just address it as such?

Deleted
    Assuming you are talking about WoW mostly:

When people post a thoughtful and well-structured argument for why they think something is good or bad they can hopefully expect a critical yet friendly debate to ensue where people agree or attempt to put across a different opinion as they see fit. Obviously there will be trolls and those who do not add to the discussion in any way, but the OP and those wishing to take the argument seriously can simply ignore those comments. Hopefully we are all adult enough to be able to discern constructive posts from non-constructive ones.

The problem with a lot of new threads in the last few days has been that they are trying to restart debates that have already happened numerous times, both on MMOC and elsewhere. These debates usually hinge on points which are so open to interpretation or inference that there is no way to present a solid argument either way, and I think this is what frustrates people the most. A lot of people who post here are not able (for whatever reason) to articulate their points very well, and when all you have to go on is words you will find yourself ridiculed and misunderstood if people don't understand where you are coming from. Again, this is made worse when the point you rely on for your argument is so easily dismissed by others.

This is a frustrating time for many people who are hungry for information (again, assuming you are mostly referring to WoW:MoP) and want to see things go in their favour for a change. The information you do get eventually leads to more questions and frustration at not having the answers. This is where people start to make assumptions, read things that are not there, and then the mud-slinging begins. People should really know better. Freedom of speech is all well and good, but if you have nothing interesting to say then probably best to keep quiet until you do. I think most people here are (or at least should be) open to being challenged in their thinking, but poorly formed arguments and the subsequent name-calling are definitely making these forums a little less fun lately.

tl/dr i agree that people shouldn't flame and bitch as much as they do, but it is not helped by other people dragging up the same tired old subjects when there is nothing new to add to the argument.
    Last edited by mmocf106da70f8; 2012-03-26 at 05:52 PM.

Its not a lately thing here... its been going on for years. Its the nature of the crowd, nature of the users.