Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I want to watch brand new release theatre movies but legally

I am not really into the movie scene but there are a few movies coming out in the next few months which I really want to see, but I can't afford to see them all in the theatre, since it's quite expensive here.

Is there a website which actually has new movies and offers a service like... you know, pay for the movie and watch it online?

I know that I could just wait for the DVD, but I don't really want to wait months for the release... I'd like to be able to talk about the Hunger Games and all the other upcoming movies with other people.

And don't even bring up the shady stuff. The quality is so fucking bad that I absolutely can't enjoy a decent movie if I am able to count the pixels with one hand.

No because this would be progress towards the future, and a new business model that word force Hollywood to adapt to new market conditions or die. So until people stop paying to see them in movie theatres this will never happen, especially since Hollywood is anti-internet. So the day new release blockbusters come straight to itunes and the like is the day Hollywood goes out of business because it can no longer lobby for draconian laws that prevent the evolution of industry (because it's dead).

So you are forced to sit in cramped seats with sweaty smelly people masticating on popcorn and laughing at parts of the movie that aren't actually funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    No because this would be progress towards the future, and a new business model that word force Hollywood to adapt to new market conditions or die. So until people stop paying to see them in movie theatres this will never happen, especially since Hollywood is anti-internet. So the day new release blockbusters come straight to itunes and the like is the day Hollywood goes out of business because it can no longer lobby for draconian laws that prevent the evolution of industry (because it's dead).

So you are forced to sit in cramped seats with sweaty smelly people masticating on popcorn and laughing at parts of the movie that aren't actually funny.
    Oh comon. I actually googled for quite some time, and the only websites I've came up are either connected to some kind of abo, or are overpriced. Also, none of them had new releases...

I just hoped that I actually missed some great website which offers this kind of service....

Why pay on the internet when you can get it free?

Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    Because that's illegal and not fair to the people who put their blood sweat and tears into film projects. Plus the problems with going to the movie theatre I mentioned above; it's a dinosauric business model, if I could pay to see new release movies in the comfort of my own home I would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    Quality and first day releases. Before somebody manages to record a movie in HD quality, it takes weeks, if not months and then I can just as well buy the DVD for 5€ and have a nice decoration for my wall...
    And 5€ is just the price that I would pay for a good movie. I mean, the theatre is just so expensive because they have high fixed and variable costs which they need to cover. You are not paying so much for the movie itself

Umm...I'm shopping for a brand new BMW, but I can only spend $5. And I want it delivered to my house by a ripped, shirtless man with low morals and lots of time to burn.

Turns out we can't all have what we want. The time from theaters to DVDs is the shortest it's ever been (5-16 weeks). I don't know how old you are, but we used to have to wait YEARS for the movie to just come on tv (edited for time and formatted to fit this screen). Then we had to wait a few years for the VHS, which cost upwards of a hundo when they were new. Now you can stream Netflix or go to a redbox whenever you feel like it and watch something that was in theaters a matter of weeks ago.

You should write the studios and ask them to just stream it for free to everyone on earth the day it's out of post-production. Cuz that'll be 100M of their money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

i planned on posting almost the exact same thing, although probably not as concise...bravo sir!

OP: there is no such service.

I'm reminded of a sign i saw hung up in an auto shop once.
    "If you want it cheap and good, it's not gonna be fast.
    If you want it fast and cheap, it's not gonna be good.
    If you want it good and fast it's not gonna be cheap."

that motto basically applies to any life scenario, though

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgetjones View Post
    Umm...I'm shopping for a brand new BMW, but I can only spend $5. And I want it delivered to my house by a ripped, shirtless man with low morals and lots of time to burn.

Turns out we can't all have what we want. The time from theaters to DVDs is the shortest it's ever been (5-16 weeks). I don't know how old you are, but we used to have to wait YEARS for the movie to just come on tv (edited for time and formatted to fit this screen). Then we had to wait a few years for the VHS, which cost upwards of a hundo when they were new. Now you can stream Netflix or go to a redbox whenever you feel like it and watch something that was in theaters a matter of weeks ago.

You should write the studios and ask them to just stream it for free to everyone on earth the day it's out of post-production. Cuz that'll be 100M of their money well spent.
    Well, wow. I don't even know what to answer. Wait, I know. You don't understand anything about business and why exactly things are as expensive as they are. And yes, sometimes people get into financial trouble and still do not want to give up the last piece of fun they have, aka watching some god fucking movies and be able to talk about them as long the the topic is still "in".

May I ask you how old you are if you seriously compare a BMW with a theatre visit...? Your arguments are childish beyond belief and you sound like a old bitter (wo)man =(. Is that such an abstruse idea to think that somwhere a company exists which allows you to see fresh releases on the spot for a reasonable price?

I guess it is, even tho I see no reason for such a company not to exist. All they have to do is to buy the rights and they can put the movie online.

But looks like hollywood is not selling their movies to websites like Netflix... their fault.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-03-26 at 08:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I am not really into the movie scene but there are a few movies coming out in the next few months which I really want to see, but I can't afford to see them all in the theatre, since it's quite expensive here.
    Ultimetly, if you can't afford something, you generally don't get it. Look into smaller theatres maybe. There are plenty of small theatres around here that run movies for 4-5$ a ticket rather than the 15$ AMC or Ciniplex charges.

Is there a website which actually has new movies and offers a service like... you know, pay for the movie and watch it online?
    Yes, but distributors are really slow to adopt the idea that you can release a movie both online and in theatres and have it be successful. Theatre ticket sales for some reason still dominate the game.

I know that I could just wait for the DVD, but I don't really want to wait months for the release... I'd like to be able to talk about the Hunger Games and all the other upcoming movies with other people.
    Maybe. Back in the day, you would wait 6-8 months for something to come out on DVD. Now they're out in 3-5 months. The whole dynamic is changing though. DVD sales are falling fast, video rental chains are disappearing.

And don't even bring up the shady stuff. The quality is so fucking bad that I absolutely can't enjoy a decent movie if I am able to count the pixels with one hand.
    People should know better than to post about illegal things on this forum. Especially if they value being able to post at all.

This makes me sad, but if this is a dead end there is nothing I can do about it...

Guess I have to wait or eat bread for the next few weeks :P Damn paycheck, why u so low

Is that such an abstruse idea to think that somwhere a company exists which allows you to see fresh releases on the spot for a reasonable price?

I guess it is, even tho I see no reason for such a company not to exist. All they have to do is to buy the rights and they can put the movie online.

But looks like hollywood is not selling their movies to websites like Netflix... their fault.
    I have a hard time believing that anyone would actually think this would be possible today. Hollywood (using that term to cover all the major motion picture companies) makes BILLIONS of dollars every year by putting movies into theaters. Like Gheld said above, until people stop paying these ridiculous prices to see movies in theaters, they have no reason to change the way they do things.

Sad but true.

That being said, I have not been to a theater in over 3 years...and I've seen the Hunger Games O.O

I am sure this will be a feature on Hulu soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wish there was an option watch the latest films online i would happily pay to watch a film if that was the case...rather than travelling all the way to a cinema to sit with some random strangers that will most likely talk all the way through the film >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    i wish there was an option watch the latest films online i would happily pay to watch a film if that was the case...rather than travelling all the way to a cinema to sit with some random strangers that will most likely talk all the way through the film >.<
    Exactly. Especially all the popular and hyped movies are a pain to watch in the cinema. Kids with lazer pointers, the guy that never stops talking to his girlfriend. The girl that is constantly laughing. People with huge afros in front of you.

I usually enjoyed going to the cinema, but I stopped quite some time ago and not only due to the fact that I have to save some money.

Shit, even if I would have to pay 10€ for a movie, it would still be acceptable. I don't have to drive to the cinema, I don't have to pay 14€ for the entrance and I don't have to pay 8 more € for coca cola and popcorn. God forbid I want to eat an ice during the movie. Thats 8 more €.

really hope the industry changes fast...

Shit, even if I would have to pay 10€ for a movie, it would still be acceptable. I don't have to drive to the cinema, I don't have to pay 14€ for the entrance and I don't have to pay 8 more € for coca cola and popcorn. God forbid I want to eat an ice during the movie. Thats 8 more €.
    Didn't know they are now forcing you to buy stuff at the cinema. The more you know...
    And as it was said: If you can't afford it, you can't have it. Why should someone charge 5€ just because it is all you can afford?

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. Especially all the popular and hyped movies are a pain to watch in the cinema. Kids with lazer pointers, the guy that never stops talking to his girlfriend. The girl that is constantly laughing. People with huge afros in front of you.

I usually enjoyed going to the cinema, but I stopped quite some time ago and not only due to the fact that I have to save some money.

really hope the industry changes fast...
    There's no way to charge a per person fee for a stream. IE, you and your girl could watch for the same price as one. And as movie going is, currently, a very social thing, it would be a huge hit to profits to charge a discounted price for 1/2-1/5 the people.

Realistically, if they offered the packages you suggest, they probably would not be able to make blockbuster films. Things like The Hunger Games (100 million) and the avengers (220 million) need huge opening weekends to justify their existences.

In short, I like going to the theater with my girlfriend. I like huge budget films. I don't want these things to go away just because you feel like you are entitled to see the films immediately without having to pay the premium that comes along with that.

The current situation would not change in my opinion. People who enjoy the theatre will still go to the theatre, regardless of whether the movie is available online or not.

I would even go as far as to say that the overall profit would increase, since, in addition to the income created through theatre visits, people would buy the movie online and watch it at home.

Just to tell you how the sales are distributed when you go to the cinema. 25% of the money you pay flows directly to the cinema to cover their fixed costs, like electricity, etc. After a two weeks, it is already 55% and after four, it is 80%. That's the reason why they say "A threatre is not in the movie business, it's in the candy business". Why do you think do you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for popcorn? But now.....

If they would lease their movies to other online streaming companies in addition to the theatres, they could increase their overall sales because a larger population could be addressed. Not to mention that it might be one step in order to get rid of movie piracy, but thats another topic.

Also, big movies do not need to be that expensive. Avengers 220 million? How about we cut the, again, ridiculously high salaries of our "movie stars", which get like 25 million dollars for a few months of work? These numbers are astounding when you consider that just 7 years ago they would have called you mad. The pace of costs is far outpacing the requisite inflation… and there is really no excuse for it.

Studios just blast out money like it grows magically on the street; which it kind of does. We customers pay for everything after all

At the end of the day they would be able to create blockbuster movies, just as we see them today. However, if they would seriously look at their expenses and cut them... just a little bit... day-1 online releases would not "kill" the industry at all. It might even increase their profits, thus resulting in even more money for better movies.

Hell, I would even say that this would make the theatre cheaper and therefore luring even more people into it...

But, for this to happen a huge change would be needed in the whole industry, which I don't see coming myself...
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-03-26 at 11:26 PM. Reason: poor wording... derp me, it is late

The current situation would not change in my opinion. People who enjoy the theatre will still go to the theatre, regardless of whether the movie is available online or not.
    You don't see the irony in trying to make this statement while at the same time expressing how bad the theater experience is? With the widespread access to fast internet that exists today (theaters don't even get movies delivered to them anymore, even they download them) i'd be willing to bet that theater-goers would decrease by at least 50% if not more.

The current situation would not change in my opinion. People who enjoy the theatre will still go to the theatre, regardless of whether the movie is available online or not
    I have to disagree with you on this one.Movie giants would stand to lose a lot of money if they would be available for stream right after premiers.Dvd and Blue Ray quality movie versions are available for free download exactly as their properties suggests - as soon as the Dvds and Blue rays are available for purchase, and they are deliberately delaying these formats so they can milk revenues on tickets sales for as long as possible , it's the main weapon movie companies have against pirating. I went to see The Hunger Games today , would i have done it still if a HD version was available online ? i couldn't tell , but probably not.
    Also, big movies do not need to be that expensive. Avengers 220 million? How about we cut the, again, ridiculously high salaries of our "movie stars", which get like 25 million dollars for a few months of work? These numbers are astounding when you consider that just 7 years ago they would have called you mad. The pace of costs is far outpacing the requisite inflation… and there is really no excuse for it.
    On this i couldn't agree more.220 million of which probably 120 million goes to the hyper-payed overcrowded flock of stars , which leaves 100 million of investment in actual production value.I wager Avengers will be a so-so movie at best , vis-a-vis it's high expectations.Imagine 20 million on actors ( still a lot ) and 200 for actual production.Why can't they learn from James Cameron , whom with minimum investments in actor fees ( considering the productions costs overall ) has made the 2 greatest grossing movies of all time due to the sheer amount of financial effort that went into the production itself.