52. This poll is closed
  • The fruit has the colour name

31 59.62%
  • The colour has the fruit name

21 40.38%

Thread: Orange

Deleted

Orange

This thing just came into my mind, Orange: does the fruit have the colour name or does the colour have the fruit name?

Deleted
    Clearly the fruit has a colour name, I mean look at it, if I'd name it today I'd name it "Orange" because that's its main characteristic and my imagination sucks... The color orange has been around for quite a while and I doubt you'd name a color after a fruit =P

I voted incorrectly in the poll above, but a google search reveals that the color is named after the fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The word referring to the color is named after the fruit. Its first recorded use in that regard was in 1512. Before that, the color was referred to by an Old English word meaning yellow/red.

Deleted
    Seriously? O.O Mind = blown! I guess you learn something new every day rofl

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
    Clearly the fruit has a colour name, I mean look at it, if I'd name it today I'd name it "Orange" because that's its main characteristic and my imagination sucks... The color orange has been around for quite a while and I doubt you'd name a color after a fruit =P
    It really depends, orange isn't exactly the most common color in nature, so it doesn't surprise me at all that the color is named after the fruit. It's way clearer than referring to the color as "the color that leafs have in fall, in between red and yellow", and pumpkins, flowers, butterflies, etc. can have a variety of colors, but oranges are always orange. Unless people had never seen oranges, but I'm assuming that the word formed at some colony, that it derives from another language ooor simply that oranges actually were qiute common in England, even back then.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we call oranges "oranges" and we call yellow-red "orange" but we don't call the color orange "pumpkin"

So I'd assume we named the color after the fruit.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    What if they were named separately, and it's just a coincidence?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    What if they were named separately, and it's just a coincidence?
    Yeah that's not going to happen. :P

Well, it'd be Fruit > Colour / Color (whatever).
    Physical paint its red + yellow = orange~. However in the real world, not a lot of things are the color 'orange'. Granted in the real world not a lot of stuff are actually blue, as opposed to purple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wikipedia:The colour is named after the orange fruit, introduced to Europe via the Sanskrit word nāranja. Before this was introduced to the English-speaking world, the colour was referred to (in Old English) as geoluhread, which translates into Modern English as yellow-red.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Wikipedia:The colour is named after the orange fruit, introduced to Europe via the Sanskrit word nāranja.
    ...and to add to that, naranja is the Spanish word for both fruit and color. Although through quite a detour (but I highly suspect that there are a few steps in the middle of the Sanskrit-to-Europe journey as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiktionary
    Etymology
    From Arabic **ر*ج (nāranj), from Persian **ر** (nārang), from Sanskrit नारङ्ग (nāraṅga, “orange tree”), itself of uncertain origin, possibly Dravidian.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

10+ Year Old Account
    It just occurred to me that over half the people who answered the poll are wrong. Ask-the-audience seems to fail when there are only two options...