Page 1 of 3
LastLast

War of the Wanton Maw - Rift 1.8

So got a 60mb update on the pts annnnndddd notice the date for the end of this world event. That must be when ID is coming out. I am looking for more details.

WTB Screenshots of the Fire Essence stats.

Also I REALLY hope this is not like Waves of Madness and the Infernal Dawn opening is going to be on the 26th.

Also I REALLY hope this is not like Waves of Madness and the Infernal Dawn opening is going to be on the 26th.
    I believe ID will open May 3rd. I doubt they will open it early. And I think they are right to do so. They opened HK to soon. Listened to many raiders whining and as a result the content was buggy.

That beings said not to thrilled with the world event thus far. Very subpar compared to Waves of Madness.

If Infernal Dawn doesn't open early April I am going to be insanely pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    If Infernal Dawn doesn't open early April I am going to be insanely pissed off.
    No chance. Main issue right now is Trion is HELD TO WAY WAY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY higher standard then any other dev, so Infernal Dawn has to launch basically perfect. They have no option and as proven by previous raids/patches people will unsub in a heartbeat over the smallest thing.

They also can not chance a buggy ID release with Tera, Aion F2P, and WoW:Pandaland so close to release. Also consider every news site currently is riding ArenaNETs nuts for news of GW2, so they can get site hits and advertising money.

Stuff like fishing, survival, and new craft patterns will help pass the 3 week world event.

I'm really getting sick of only having faceroll content to do every week.

I full cleared every raid instance twice this week and wasn't even vaguely challenged at any point.
    I did all of my daily Experts, Raid Rifts and Warfronts and wasn't too entertained.

Usually I'm not the type to complain about having nothing to do, I have plenty to do.
    But I don't have anything new or challenging, it makes me sad and I'd really gotten my hopes up.

cut/pasted this from a post i made in the trion forums just now. figured it was on topic.

i'm with you brother. i'm going to be completely honest here, and may get some hate for it, but here it is.

GSB was out at release. it took some time to hit level cap, do T1s to gear up for T2s/Raid Rifts to gear up decently before going into GSB. a lil while after release we got RoS and imo the release was good timing. then with some more GSB and RoS farming we were ready for HK when it was released which i believe was in August of last year in a 1.3 hotfix. this again was pretty good timing. August of 2011 to April of 2012 is 8 months between new 20 man raids. from what i'm seeing on the PTS, ID may not even come out until 4/26/12 or even 5/3/12. if this pattern stays true, we wont get a new 20 man raid until December 2012, or even January of next year.

during interviews a while back Trion employees stated that Trion will continue to give us content like this and that this constant stream of patches is the norm. the norm having already been established by prior content patch releases being 1.5 months. the content releases are slowly starting to slow up, and the time between 20 mans is insanely long. RotP was only a 10 man and was burned up in a week pretty easily by most guilds, and imo is hardly worth mentioning (it hurts to say that).

February 24th 2011: Head Start
    March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1
    May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2
    June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3
    August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4
    September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5
    November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6
    February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7
    April 11th, 2012: Patch 1.8
    and according to the screenshot of future release dates.. http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-8-1-11-a.html
    1.9 Release - 20th June
    1.10 Release - 29th August
    1.11 Release - 7th November

i've played non stop since beta and i enjoy raiding in this game. for me, raiding is the reason why i pay my sub. i have barely played Rift for the last 2 months due to the fact that farming the same raid isn't my idea of a good time. i know content is going to be released when it's ready and i'm really happy Trion has learned to fix bugs before the raid is released (HK was a buggy mess), but i personally will need more raiding at a faster rate to keep my sub going term. i do understand and appreciate that the Rift devs are making content for everyone, and you can't please everybody. this may just be the ramblings of one person and i may be alone in this. who knows...

on another note not related to 1.8: the ability lag still isn't 100% fixed and this has been going on for months now. this is unacceptable.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

I'm really getting sick of only having faceroll content to do every week.

I full cleared every raid instance twice this week and wasn't even vaguely challenged at any point.
    I did all of my daily Experts, Raid Rifts and Warfronts and wasn't too entertained.

Usually I'm not the type to complain about having nothing to do, I have plenty to do.
    But I don't have anything new or challenging, it makes me sad and I'd really gotten my hopes up.
    You think waiting for new content in Rift is bad when you have so much outside raid to build up and save for. Look at WoW. They won't be coming out with anything new till pandamon xpac. So ppl are stuck with looking at the SAME raid for almost as long as they, and myself included at the time, did back with WotlK and going into ICC for almost a year straight.

So giving the old QQ over another month for them to make sure there are little to no bugs in the new raid is better then having crap tossed out without being fully tested like Blizz does with raids.

Quote Originally Posted by DDazzle View Post
    cut/pasted this from a post i made in the trion forums just now. figured it was on topic.
    Where did you post this?

@Thorgrimm
    This is one of the major reasons I quit WoW, too much time without content.
    Trion has released raid content much faster than WoW ever did, something I very much admire.

But I was originally expecting a mid Feb release, then an early March, then an early April, then a mid April and now an early May date.
    It's the constant buildup and then disappointment that is getting to me at this point.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game and I don't intend to stop playing, but I am getting a little annoyed, especially when people I know testing have told me it is essentially done. Obviously they haven't seen the whole zone so some parts will be more polished than others, but the point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Where did you post this?
    in the PTS section of the Trion forums.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/public-te...ml#post3694826
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Made a post here about the length of time between HK and ID, if you feel as I do, please add your voices:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...l-may-3rd.html

Yea, the world events are a little tiresome. A few months ago I said Rift needs to decide what it is setting out to be and stick to it. Thought we were done with these grinding dailies & WEs.

I personally have massive MMO downtime right now with everything in Rift and SWTOR cleared. TOR's 1.2 is coming up, which adds a lot of niceties. I am also looking at the MOP beta... it looks kinda awesome. I have a huge interest in challenge dungeons & pet battles I seen in MOP.

Natch, I will be playing Tera and Guild Wars 2 as well.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-03-27 at 12:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when did Trion announce Rift is a raid only centric game?

Anyhow, the war is intensifying on the PTS, plenty of solo and group quests to do, spent a while running all around Droughtlands doing a "group" quest to kill 20 Elite mobs called "Brass Brutes" who slapped me for 1.5k a hit, luckily they were still doable thanks to skellie 'tanking' them and judicious usage of Soul Purge

This then opens up another Group quest to kill a Lieutenant of Maelforge called Bouldergut, didn't go take a look at him yet, but the reward looks 'interesting'

An old friend has appeared in Sanctum....

The fire essences are nothing to get excited about, the ones on offer are from low levels to a level 20,30,40 and this one, a 50.....have all my chars on the PTS so can check for any specific calling stat you want, but atm, this is the Mage one

As you can see, you'll have a chance to buy the Nebula and Tindrel mounts if you didn't quite get all the Pyrite Doubloons this time around

The new currency, Molten Gold Ingots drop like sweets from Rifts, some of the group dailies pay out 100 of them, or you can buy with 2x Crystalline Rage so no excuse to not have both mounts for all your chars

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Since when did Trion announce Rift is a raid only centric game?
    They didn't, but 9 months between raids is a loooong time. Basically raids are the core of any sub based MMO, if you had no raids you'd pretty much have no customers, even the casuals wouldn't be interested. There is already a lot of grumbling from the dedicated PvPers, now they want to disappoint or annoy the dedicated raiders?

It's definitely reducing the appeal, and once you alienate two of the most dedicated groups from your playerbase you're effectively losing a lot of voices that would speak for your game, they turn to voices speaking against your game.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you had no raids yoMu'd pretty much have no customers
    Conversely, if all they released every Update was a raid, they'd soon also have no customers, anyone who just focuses on raiding and doesn't go beyond that should rethink why they play....

You will never keep everyone happy, raiders "whine" they have nothing to do, Pee Vee Pee heroes whine they have nothing to do.....

Maybe Trion should adopt the WoW/SW: ToR model and offer them Heroic/Nightmare versions of all raids, yeah, right ....

Anyhow, took a look at Bouldergut, cool new model...but boy, this guy is definitely a proper group quest....

They didn't, but 9 months between raids is a loooong time. Basically raids are the core of any sub based MMO, if you had no raids you'd pretty much have no customers, even the casuals wouldn't be interested. There is already a lot of grumbling from the dedicated PvPers, now they want to disappoint or annoy the dedicated raiders?

It's definitely reducing the appeal, and once you alienate two of the most dedicated groups from your playerbase you're effectively losing a lot of voices that would speak for your game, they turn to voices speaking against your game.
    The reason why it did not work in WoW is because WoW 10 and 20man content was the same damn thing. Now I get you guys want a 20man, but you have to understand how many people actually quit this game because it got labeled another "zomg raid or die" game.

You might not remember, but I sure as hell do remember having to defend this game when they dropped GSb, then one month later ROS, then 2-3 months later HK. Then during all that they dropped GP, DH, and ROTP a little later on. Half of these MMO hypocrites will not admit it, but they were hammering this game because of its instanced raiding.

I am not a fan of it, but you have to consider the amount of people who are 11/11 in HK right now is like 10-15% of the population. Hell the amount of people 4/4 in ROTP is probably lower. Also the timing of this ain't shit compared to the timing between Deathwing and the next tier and Mist of Pandaria. WoW fans are looking at a 8+ month wait if not longer FOR ANY NEW CONTENT let alone a raid.

Trions main issue is they can not afford to piss off the player base with a buggy raid. If you want a guild to blame go find Maximation and point the finger at them because they made Trion look like shit when they went on a rampage from one side of the internet to the other complaining about how terrible and buggy HK was. They may not admit it, but that guild cost them game subs.

Conversely, if all they released every Update was a raid, they'd soon also have no customers, anyone who just focuses on raiding and doesn't go beyond that should rethink why they play....
    I'm not asking for a new raid every update but HK came with 1.3, we're five major patches later and tbh that feels a patch too late, 1.7 would have been the right time to release ID I think. Bare in mind also that the patches with raids in often contain other things, ie 1.8 has fishing, survival, new crafting items (seals and new ID level craftables), a new world event, new IAs for Ember Isle, Leaderboards and more.

You will never keep everyone happy, raiders "whine" they have nothing to do, Pee Vee Pee heroes whine they have nothing to do.....
    And the casuals whine about the whiners? Seriously though, while I accept that people should try a bit of everything, nine months is too long for fresh raid content.

---------- Post added 2012-03-27 at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    The reason why it did not work in WoW is because WoW 10 and 20man content was the same damn thing. Now I get you guys want a 20man, but you have to understand how many people actually quit this game because it got labeled another "zomg raid or die" game.
    I'll understand it when you have some hard solid numbers to back that up. I've been here since beta too, and I don't recall that being anyone's impression of the game. In fact I do remember some complaints when RoS was cleared 16hrs after release or something like that?

You might not remember, but I sure as hell do remember having to defend this game when they dropped GSb, then one month later ROS, then 2-3 months later HK. Then during all that they dropped GP, DH, and ROTP a little later on. Half of these MMO hypocrites will not admit it, but they were hammering this game because of its instanced raiding.
    Let's be fair, GSB and RoS are the same tier and contain as many bosses as HK. RoS should have been live at launch, but wasn't and got rushed in later. Also 10mans are there to help guilds get into their counterpart 20man raids, as they are released later, very easy, and very well itemised. I don't think that adding in ten mans creates an overload of raids at all, rather the opposite it smooths the way into 20man raiding.

I am not a fan of it, but you have to consider the amount of people who are 11/11 in HK right now is like 10-15% of the population. Hell the amount of people 4/4 in ROTP is probably lower. Also the timing of this ain't shit compared to the timing between Deathwing and the next tier and Mist of Pandaria. WoW fans are looking at a 8+ month wait if not longer FOR ANY NEW CONTENT let alone a raid.
    Sure it's not a huge chunk of the population but as the content is nerfed (which it will be) and new crafted gear becomes available (which it is) the population % that clear HK will increase. The great thing about RIFT raiding is that you can't really leap over tiers of raids as in WoW. And yes I know that WoW has a long time between tiers of raids, but that is one of the reasons I play RIFT, because I thought that wait times were lower here?

Trions main issue is they can not afford to piss off the player base with a buggy raid. If you want a guild to blame go find Maximation and point the finger at them because they made Trion look like shit when they went on a rampage from one side of the internet to the other complaining about how terrible and buggy HK was. They may not admit it, but that guild cost them game subs.
    I think the answer is in better coding and testing, which sure takes time, but as I just said to Slip, it's taking too much time, ID should have been here for 1.7.

Overall I am happy with RIFT, the direction that it is going in. The fact that we have waited a couple months longer than we'd like isn't a massive deal, but it is definitely not a trend I want to see continue, so if you don't mind I'll say my piece. Unlike these people that you claim have left, I am still here, still paying, and would like to have my thoughts on the matter heard without non-raiders or casuals drowning it out. After all I am not asking that much.

Oh wow so basically another month + of raiding hk 11/11 1 night a week, talk about boring as hell so this means its gonna be over 6 months gap since last raid zone right? so much for fast content
    Slightly offtopic wasn't 1.7 supposed to be pre event for ID in the first place, or was it some random do nothing event?
    Last edited by Dorfadin; 2012-03-27 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Oh wow so basically another month + of raiding hk 11/11 1 night a week, talk about boring as hell so this means its gonna be over 6 months gap since last raid zone right? so much for fast content
    Slightly offtopic wasn't 1.7 supposed to be pre event for ID in the first place, or was it some random do nothing event?
    I know it sucks, but to be honest here guys look at the competition. You have GW2 releasing with literally no 20man instanced raiding content at all and people are labeling that game the second coming of Jesus. You have WoW which put out raids at roughly 4-6 month pace and they still lost 2 million subs. TOR had raids although buggy they were there and noone seemed to care at all.

The 20+ man raiding player base is getting older it seems and losing their pull on devs. I am sure you will see a post from Gersch very soon because while small the bastards can be very vocal.