Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Racist KFC Commercial

Australia got slammed by American critics because they think it comes across as racist. The aussies basically responded by saying Aussies don't get offended by the same things Americans do.

Here is Australia's response to the "racist" ad

Do you think this add is racist? I think people are taking it too far.

I dont think its racist, at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Poor taste ≠ racism.

Deleted
    Personally no.
    People thinking it is are just jumping to racism given the situation regardless that nothing degrading is said

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, what Fuzzzie said. It isn't racist, it is just poor taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Poor taste ≠ racism.
    Agreed, the ad is more in poor taste. If it was a crowd of Asians around the guy, nobody would blink an eye. There is nothing wrong or racist about stopping a crowd from partying with a bucket of chicken though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's racist (in the US). They obviously didn't set out to create a racist commercial, but it is what it is.

Any moron on the face of the planet in any marketing firm should have caught this.
    Last edited by Rifter; 2012-03-27 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it racist? Well, maybe a little. But how does it hurt anyone? Let's say that I bought in to the stereotype that all black people love fried chicken. Who does that hurt? It'd be one thing if the commercial was like "god these black folks are dumb, I can't wait to get out of here". That would be harmful. But all its implying is that if you offer them chicken, they'll like you. Hell, that might even be good advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    How did I know it would be the guy with John Goodman as an avatar posting this.
    Add a black person to anything involving chicken it's perceived racism, sad but that's how things work.
    Waiting on GW2 and Z.O.E. HD collection.
    Currently playing WoW and hating YGO.
    My Feral druid Main
    And most importantly I shall give you the means to travel faster than the fastest starship. To soar to the ends of the universe and beyond.....

Deleted
    People see what they want to see.

People don't like to be stereotyped, whether it be factual correct or not.

<SNIP>
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-03-27 at 05:58 AM. Reason: No...

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Poor taste ≠ racism.
    Agreed on that. Heck, there were some Popeyes ads running in my area for a while. Every single one of these ads contained only African Americans. Was that racist? Either call everyone out or give it a rest. You can't selectively critical and retain any shred of credibility.

A little bit in bad taste...

Thing is...

What the hell is wrong with saying black people like fried chicken? Cause they really do... just as much as white people. what race exactly has a major issue with breaded poultry!?!?!

Is it racist? I don't think so because of the context. If it's not a stereotype in Australia, then I don't see it as racist, despite what it means over here.

I thought the Australian reaction to it was pretty lulzy though. They do bring up a good point though, they shouldn't have to put an American filter over everything they do.

I want chicken now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't watch the commercial now, but from what I read I can say that it might be a little. However, my black friends here in northern Europe always joke about KFC in regards to racism. If anyone is racist to them, it's themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    What the hell is wrong with saying black people like fried chicken? Cause they really do... just as much as white people. what race exactly has a major issue with breaded poultry!?!?!
    Jews, possibly? Does the Kosher rule apply to all meats or only certain ones?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I thought it was just pork.

Edit: Nevermind it's quite a varied amount of food, not just pork
    Last edited by TigglyBiggly; 2012-03-27 at 01:01 AM.
    Waiting on GW2 and Z.O.E. HD collection.
    Currently playing WoW and hating YGO.
    My Feral druid Main
    And most importantly I shall give you the means to travel faster than the fastest starship. To soar to the ends of the universe and beyond.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Very few jews are actually purist Koshers. Most only do it during the big holidays or not even at all.

This is borderline. It's "specific marketing" - take that how you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol I laughed it was a simple humor they did call anyone names they just showed the truth, and yes it was poor taste but I have seen alot worse that didnt blow up so w/e. last thing I want to say is that people that call thing rasict usually just want attention or anything out (unless of course it is actually horrible)