Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The poor use of the bucket of chicken in that particular setting was definitely in poor taste but not racist.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Bring a bucket of fried chicken to any sporting event with any ethnic group, and offer it around. The results will pretty much be identical to this commercial.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it was intended to be racist, but I see how it would appear that way. I wonder what black people have to say about this. I think that if I were black, I wouldn't really give a hoot.

15+ Year Old Account
    So let's say he was in India and handed round a bucket of samosas, would that be perceived as racist? No. So it's storm in a teacup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Is it racist? Well, maybe a little. But how does it hurt anyone? Let's say that I bought in to the stereotype that all black people love fried chicken. Who does that hurt? It'd be one thing if the commercial was like "god these black folks are dumb, I can't wait to get out of here". That would be harmful. But all its implying is that if you offer them chicken, they'll like you. Hell, that might even be good advice.
    From personal experience, it works.
    I make fried chicken whenever my friend Janelle comes over. She's black. She likes fried chicken.
    I'm asian. I like fried chicken.
    :3

Deleted
    i think its badly designed, don't think it was intended to be racist though.

---------- Post added 2012-03-27 at 02:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    From personal experience, it works.
    I make fried chicken whenever my friend Janelle comes over. She's black. She likes fried chicken.
    I'm asian. I like fried chicken.
    :3
    i love fried chicken, i'm white. i dont think colour has much to do with liking fried chicken

15+ Year Old Account
    Commercials are full of stereotypes; men are stupid, women are sexy, and Asian people are intelligent. Does it really matter if the messages within the commercial are true or not? Too many people play the racism card with things like this whilst ignoring other types of stereotypes which are equally inaccurate. I don't get offended by all of the stupid white men in commercials, why should anyone be offended by black people who like chicken?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Is it racist? Well, maybe a little. But how does it hurt anyone? Let's say that I bought in to the stereotype that all black people love fried chicken. Who does that hurt? It'd be one thing if the commercial was like "god these black folks are dumb, I can't wait to get out of here". That would be harmful. But all its implying is that if you offer them chicken, they'll like you. Hell, that might even be good advice.

well i am going to carry a fried chicken around with me, in case i ever get into a uncomfortable situation with a black guy... :3

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Agreed on that. Heck, there were some Popeyes ads running in my area for a while. Every single one of these ads contained only African Americans. Was that racist? Either call everyone out or give it a rest. You can't selectively critical and retain any shred of credibility.
    I honestly do not think this is racist, people just find the smallest things to get butthurt, But here is a thing. Why do Black people get called african americans, pretty much none of them alive were born in africa? whats the point in adding that extra word?

Deleted
    People seem to have forgotten what racism is. The video was not racist in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll see racism everywhere if you're looking for it, even if it's not really there.

10+ Year Old Account
    no

people will cry about anything these days

now, if these black people were being violent and he was offering fried chicken, watermelon and a bunch of grape drink to appease them... well then this would be a different story

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    KFC are a MAJOR sponsor for international cricket.
    They heavily promote during our Australian Summer.
    By heavily, I mean nearly every fucking ad break.

The idea of this ad is an over used concept.
    Winning people over with the product.
    That year, we were playing the West Indies (Caribbean).

Using stereotypes to create a commercial isn't racist.

Here in Australia we take the piss out of everyone not intending to be racist but it's how we are.

Stereotype of dumb blondes. It works in jokes, ads, movies, tv, multiple things but that's not intended to say all blondes are dumb.

When a white person starts throwing the N word around and actually shows disrespect then we can talk about racism. Til then learn to live with a stereotype that means nothing over here.

The only reason that there are black people in the ad is because the Australian Cricket team was playing the West Indies at the time. The "awkward" situation is being surrounded by a bunch of the opposing teams supporters, if they had have been playing the English then he would have been surrounded by a bunch of white guy members of the Barmy Army and have been just as awkward to be dressed in green and gold.

Another in the Series of Ads showing that you use KFC to please any crowd.

On another note, it's awesome when people dredge up "controversies" from years ago that have been explained several times. On yet another note America =/= the world, do Australians get up in arms when you wear your "coon" skin caps, a racially charged term for an Aborigine.

Yet another example of stupid Americans. How is it even in bad taste? It's not an American commercial and the stereotype that black people like friend chicken is an American stereotype.

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-03-28 at 04:27 AM.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catixie View Post
    Using stereotypes to create a commercial isn't racist.

Here in Australia we take the piss out of everyone not intending to be racist but it's how we are.

Stereotype of dumb blondes. It works in jokes, ads, movies, tv, multiple things but that's not intended to say all blondes are dumb.
    I strongly disagree with this. Australia is becoming way to politicly correct.

I think the whole racism/rights things is getting out of hand, everything is labeled as racism and violation of someones rights today, specific groups and minorities are being overprotected.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a white man and I can assure you, his bucket of chicken would have stopped my party equally as well as the one pictured.

Chicken is awesome.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkulese View Post
    Yet another example of stupid Americans. How is it even in bad taste? It's not an American commercial and the stereotype that black people like friend chicken is an American stereotype.
    That's not fair. There are multiple Americans in this thread saying the commercial is perfectly acceptable, and you're blatantly ignoring that. You can't make blanket accusations against us like that.