Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

We're not tanking after all :(

Word is out from Ghostcrawler himself. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253968049#12

I'm bummed

What he said, for those too lazy to click the link:

Just to make our intent clear, the Glyph of Demon Hunting isn't intended to turn Demonology warlocks into a tanking spec. You won't be able to queue as a tank for Dungeon Finder for instance and won't have the survivability or tools of say a Protection paladin.

Historically, warlocks felt tankier than other casters and could even off-tank some encounters. We have made an effort in Mists to recapture some of that flavor. A warlock with this glyph should feel like they are about as effective tanking as an Arms warrior who pulls out a shield and swaps to Defensive Stance, or a Feral druid who goes into Bear form. You might be able to off-tank adds or pick up an actual boss for a short period of time if the tank goes down.

To make warlocks an actual tank would take more significant changes. For example, we want tanks to have to pick up separate tanking gear than their DPS gear (this is even true of druids) and want tanks to have to give up some of their DPS potential in exchange for their survivability. In short, it needs to be a commitment, and that's the sort of thing that needs larger gameplay changes than just a glyph.

That shouldn't stop the glyph of Demon Hunting from being fun though. As you can probably tell, we are trying to make even the major glyphs more about character customization and fun.

End quote.

Allright, I went to bed and when I woke up it seems Ghostcrawler made another eyebrow raising comment, sort of mollifying me, even though I still prefer the idea of being a full time tank.

What he said:

As some of you have pointed out, the glyph of Demon Hunting in your beta build doesn't deliver on what I described above as the design. The newer version of the glyph, hopefully available in the next beta build, allows a warlock to toggle in and out of the off-tank / survival mode, more like the druid going Bear or the warrior going Defensive.

The new shapeshift granted by the glyph is called Threatening Presence (PH) and adds Taunt and Fury Ward to the normal Metamorphosis toolkit. You still get the damage reduction from mastery instead of the damage boost from mastery while in this form. You can also choose to go into normal Metamorphosis even if you have the glyph. Let us know how it feels.

We appreciate all the feedback and passion on this topic. We expected this glyph would serve a pretty niche community and were surprised at how many players were excited about it. We are still in beta and are still very much experimenting with what kind of gamplay we can deliver in glyphs.

End Quote.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2012-03-27 at 01:15 PM.

Disappointing indeed, but not entirely unexpected.

All I really hope for is that it is good enough for solo at the level of a blood DK in dps gear, or a MM hunter currently is.

Well, we'll at least become massively effective soloers, that's nice at least

Totally dead in the water. The glyph is completely useless now that he's admitted that we aren't viable tanks.

To quote GC: "A warlock with this glyph should feel like they are about as effective tanking as an Arms warrior who pulls out a shield and swaps to Defensive Stance, or a Feral druid who goes into Bear form. You might be able to off-tank adds or pick up an actual boss for a short period of time if the tank goes down."

So we have to take a glyph that SEVERELY neuters our DPS in order to be an "oh shit" temp-tank for a few seconds.

"That shouldn't stop the glyph of Demon Hunting from being fun though." -sure thing GC....whatever you say. You've had your thumb on the pulse of "fun" this whole time.

Deleted
    Well, at least he made it an easy choice for me now, after 7 years(assuming all goes to plan with account-wide stuff) confirmed for definitely not touching my warlock once i've levelled it to 90 for cash.

Bring on the rogue!

also, pretty much what tommy said up above, who in their right mother-fucking mind would take a glyph that nerfs your biggest cooldown just on the off chance that a tank "may" die and you get to pick it up and save the day, 99% of the time if they tank dies ittl most likely be a wipe anyway.

I'm hoping on to the hope that he's going to post on april first saying "lol know that quote from a few days ago? only joking! warlocks CAN tank really lol xD, i'm so witty heheheh"

There's just WAY too much thought put into this for it to be a gimmicky off-tank at best...

Any references to tanking abilities will be Blood DK's, as that's what I have the most experience with.
    Values/Numbers and even Abilities are ALL subject to change.
    Talents chosen represent MY opinion on what I will pick IF this goes live, the alternates are just as good, if not better in some cases.

This is the Glyph that is causing all the commotion.
    In not so many words, it "makes us tanks".
    Demonology has a new resource, "demonic fury" which is built up by casting spells, and then used to activate metamorphosis form.
    Whilst metamorphosis is active without this glyph, your demonic fury will drain, however with it, there will be no change to your demonic fury, meaning you get to remain in the form permenantly.

Taunt.
    Spell Damage Cooldown.
    Interrupt.
    AoE Attack.
    Aoe Stun.
    "Spammable" Threat Gainer.
    Threat Modifier built in to Metamorphosis.
    Armour/Crit Immunity.
    Passive Damage Reduction.

Cooldowns: Icebound Fortitude / Dmg Reduction / 30% Dmg Reduction
    Talents: Vampiric Blood / 50% Dmg Reduction / 15% passive HP / Reflective Shield
    So yeah, in summary: Anyone claiming we do not have the tool's to be a tank, you're pretty much wrong
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2012-03-27 at 02:23 AM.

lol all you people who actually thought locks would become tanks.

so, I guess it will be just for soloing old content, since differently from warriors and druids we can't swap to tank midfight (unless they start allowing glyph swaps midfight lol).

so sad
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was naive to seriously think Blizzard would allow warlocks a viable tank/dps tree since they've made the effort to split Feral and Guardian.

Honestly, it might be valuable in instances where the tank drops group and you have a bit of a layover. Go go lock tank.

Deleted
    I don't get it, what GC is saying would only work if you are able to switch glyphs in a fight and even then you don't have time. No one will use this glyph and gimp his DPS on the off-chance the tank dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azithrom View Post
    Well, we'll at least become massively effective soloers, that's nice at least
    Yeah, there is that, and I will be able to "tank" for my friends when we go do Cata dungeons and older stuff when we are in Mists gear, but for a few days we had the dream that Blizz might give us a tiny bit more of support. Seeing the overwhelmingly positive reactions past few days I think Blizz will have to consider it for the future at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Honestly, it might be valuable in instances where the tank drops group and you have a bit of a layover. Go go lock tank.
    You'd have kicked the lock for horrible DPS already by that point.

Such a amazingly ridiculous assumption in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    lol all you people who actually thought locks would become tanks.
    Most of us actually put the necessary thought into it, not just dismissing it offhand without looking at the information given.

Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    Such a amazingly ridiculous assumption in the first place.
    It was an educated guess, see Adt's list of cooldowns associated with it, it was far from ridiculous

Deleted
    it would work for say a caster boss like in icc the boss before blood queen carnt rember the name with the 3 bosses

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    I don't get it, what GC is saying would only work if you are able to switch glyphs in a fight and even then you don't have time. No one will use this glyph and gimp his DPS on the off-chance the tank dies.

Exactly. With one post, GC has taken the absolute most interesting thing that all of MoP has to offer thus far and completely nullified it. Going down the path of the new Glyph of Dark Succor. Take something awesome, make it useless, say it's still useful as often as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand his position. I've probably seen 90-95% of all people who play the class in favor of Warlock Tanking. If it makes people interested in a dying breed, why not? It's not like they have 2 more DPS specs to choose from or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bph192 View Post
    it would work for say a caster boss like in icc the boss before blood queen carnt rember the name with the 3 bosses
    locks did that easily without the new glpyh, when it was current.

Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    Well, at least he made it an easy choice for me now, after 7 years(assuming all goes to plan with account-wide stuff) confirmed for definitely not touching my warlock once i've levelled it to 90 for cash.

Bring on the rogue!
    Rofl, do you really go from warlock to rogue? That's like downgrading from a lambo to a fiat. Warlocks are getting a huge overhaul with MoP. Rogue a literally staying the same. Rogues are fotm at the moment but once MoP is live, they will be the least played class by far. Why would you downgrade? If you want to upgrade, stay at warlock or start a monk, a rogue would not be a good choice. And yes my main is a rogue since Burning Crusade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meejum View Post
    locks did that easily without the new glpyh, when it was current.
    could be hinting at new bosses where that would be usefull

Quote Originally Posted by bph192 View Post

It's clear. Leotheras the Blind is being ressurected for a MoP raid.

"SSC was merely a setback...."