Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Optimization and stuff like that

Have they done any changes to make the game run smoother? I want to subscribe again but need to know if they have optimized the game, as it was running pretty crappy if there was more than 10 people on my screen. (it's not my pc, so dont try.)

Whats your computer specs?

I got an I7-2600K
    GTX560TI
    8GB ram

max settings on a 1680X1050

150+ at fleet an no problems at all

Quote Originally Posted by Sunix View Post
    Have they done any changes to make the game run smoother? I want to subscribe again but need to know if they have optimized the game, as it was running pretty crappy if there was more than 10 people on my screen. (it's not my pc, so dont try.)
    1.2 has lots of improvements to frame rate, check out the PTS and see if your issues are fixed

6 gb of ram, 3.2 4core i7 something, and GTX 590 1920*1080 resolution

---------- Post added 2012-03-27 at 08:29 AM ----------

20 fps in fleet on low(atleast after launch with 120-150 people there), 0.1-1 fps in the pvp zone (cant remember the name) with about 140 ppl from my faction. on lowest quality
    Last edited by Sunix; 2012-03-27 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added some information

10+ Year Old Account
    ilum sucks for everyone, but 1) they've done a bunch of optimizations for the area, which have helped, and are working on other changes, and 2) they've pretty much neutered the area, since you can do the ilum pvp dailies with regular warzones now. Not sure about your fleet issues, but I've been on servers with those kind of numbers, and have been fine, with worse hardware.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Deleted
    As the op said try 1.2 pts to check if they improved for you. I havent tested it yet, but many players are reporting better fps on the pts.

Funny thing about swtor engine is you go to a wz, everything on high 20 fps, you reduce to very low/low and bam 20 fps. Hope they fix it asap, coz i really love pvp in swtor but i cant really play @ 20 fps, and no its not my machine something is terribly wrong, because i get 100 fps in world while questing and around 20-25 fps on fleet with 280 peeps on it.

warzones worked fine for me, but the fleet and ilum were fuckt up

10+ Year Old Account
    It really has to be something wrong on their end.

All these people with super computers having shitty fps, then you have me:
    Intel core 2 duo e8400 @ 3Ghz
    4G of DDR2 ram
    GTX 560ti
    ... I rarely dropped below 60 fps even on the fleet and never below that in PvP. Maybe the times in ilum where there was 200 people there trading, but on the fleet? Hardly ever. regardless of how many people are around

There is a diference to the best in 1.2, but its not good enough, there are still stalls and hickups and loading times are still terribad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    There is a diference to the best in 1.2, but its not good enough, there are still stalls and hickups and loading times are still terribad
    And this is why its STILL on PTS!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargs View Post
    And this is why its STILL on PTS!!!!!
    No excuse really. The game ran bad in the beta before launch and it went live anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    No excuse really. The game ran bad in the beta before launch and it went live anyways.
    I actually had good performance in beta - something changed close to launch though and everything went to shit, the same time the client magically shrunk about 10gb.

My performance in 1.2 is around what it was before in beta now.

The load screens though, yes, have always been terrible. Far too many of them and far too long. There simply is no good reason for having to have a load screen to get onto your ship, it's not that much extra data to have on the same map as whatever planet you're on. I remember ages ago, shortly after the game was announced, they were talking about how any of the load screens would always occur behind cut scenes, so you would never see a load screen. So for instance, you go to a planet, and the cut scene of your ship flying down to the planet would be when the game would load. It does actually start doing that, but the load screens are so long, that it doesn't really make a difference. Shame really.

The problem with these threads is that "running fine" is a very subjective issue. For instance, on my machine right now, sitting at 1600x900 res, fullscreen mode, and medium settings with shadow details disabled, most areas I get around 30-80fps (yes, it really does vary this much, but more on that to come), but in warzones I usually get about 25fps (been having issues lately where sometimes I only get 10, not sure what is causing this).

The thing is, that so many different things will contribute to what kinds of frame rates you are going to get beyond system specs and settings. The environments vary greatly from one planet to another, add on top of that the vast differences in populations and character/mob densities in your current area, and the number of things going on, it gets pretty crazy.

The other thing, is that every different person has a different idea of what "running fine" is. I, for one, don't mind sitting with my settings as they are and getting ~30-40fps the majority of the time. For someone else, they may expect that they should have every setting maxed out, and still be getting 60-90fps everywhere, including Warzones.

I will say this, they have come a long way on improving the games performance for everyone since launch, and they are doing more to make things better as time goes on. All you can do is try it out and see how you feel about it for your personal definition of "running fine" probably best done with the help of a friend who is still playing, or making a fake account to take advantage of the weekend passes to update your client and check things out.

I'm running:
    Core i7 2600k (no OC)
    8GB DDR3 1600
    GTX260
    Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 SSD

I run it at 1920x1080 with almost everything on High. I just checked the fps in the cantina on Tatooine and it was running at 40-60. All in all I don't pay attention to the actual numbers and just see if it looks good and for the most part it really does. Even in WZs and high traffic areas. The only thing that ever slows me down is my own internet connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    6 gb of ram, 3.2 4core i7 something, and GTX 590 1920*1080 resolution
    When you dont understand/know what is under the hood, it doesnt do much for your credibility when you say "its not my pc, so don't even try".

With that being said, the game has been optimized to run better than it did at launch. The game is still a CPU hog and it will probably take more time before it will run with as little foot print as possible.

By the way, I used to have poor performance. Found out my CPU was overheating because of the additional stress this game causes. I can play BF3 with no issues. I used to think it wasnt my computer until I figured this out. I increased air flow and now I no longer have any problems. Sure its the games poor coding and resource management, but it was also my computer. Take that for what its worth.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-03-28 at 10:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    When you dont understand/know what is under the hood, it doesnt do much for your credibility when you say "its not my pc, so don't even try".
    Sure its the games poor coding and resource management, but it was also my computer. Take that for what its worth.
    It does not take knowing your PC specs to have a nice PC. Believe it or not, you ask the majority of people on the street what their PC specs are and they will just stare at you. Not many people really give a shit what is making their PC do what it does.

Major design flaw when it becomes the customers's problem to try and get the game to work on a more than capable PC. You should not have to be in an Intel lab to be able to run the game.

There is a legit reason that these FPS/performance threads keep popping up.
    I like sandwiches

I must be lucky. I have never had any issues, and my PC is far from a super computer.
    Guess I'll count my blessings

Intel-i7 first generation core
    4G ram
    ATI 5770
    500Gb HDD that is about 67% full
    Windows 7 Pro-N edition 64b
    1920x1080 Resolution

Running TOR at max graphics with almost no issues, few areas and camera angles I drop below 25, but most of the time I'm sitting in the 52-60 range... On that note, Alderaan looks awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    It does not take knowing your PC specs to have a nice PC. Believe it or not, you ask the majority of people on the street what their PC specs are and they will just stare at you. Not many people really give a shit what is making their PC do what it does.

Major design flaw when it becomes the customers's problem to try and get the game to work on a more than capable PC. You should not have to be in an Intel lab to be able to run the game.

There is a legit reason that these FPS/performance threads keep popping up.
    My response never said the issue was only the OP's PC. But you cant tell someone with 100% certainty that its not your PC if you don't even know with a 100% certainty whats in your box. If all the FPS issues were a result of only the game everyone would have problems. My situation was a perfect example and after I modified my system guess what? I don't have problems anymore. Even though Im a IT professional, I still know better than to ever claim with 100% certainty "its not my PC". Bad coding aside, even if an issue is caused by a driver conflict, the problem is still within the PC. Too many people think they can just throw money into a system and that guarantees flawlessness. If that is they type of system you want then you need to go buy a Mac because Apple can guarantee complete compatibility with software and hardware they sign off on. If you want to play with the big boys and run a PC you better know a little something if you are going to make bold statements like that.

Have they made the game run worse since I played yesterday? I'm thinking about quitting if they made it run worse on my machine, as it is it was running very good in most areas, with some slight FPS drops in Ilum. (It's not the game, must be my PC, so don't try)