Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

[Demo Tanking] All is not lost!

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We appreciate all the feedback and passion on this topic. We expected this glyph would serve a pretty niche community and were surprised at how many players were excited about it. We are still in beta and are still very much experimenting with what kind of gamplay we can deliver in glyphs.
    let's translate it from Blizz to English:

• We expected this glyph would serve a pretty niche community and were surprised at how many players were excited about it - we thought nobody would care about this and had no idea warlocks actually wanted to tank
    • We are still in beta - things can change
    • and are still very much experimenting with what kind of gamplay we can deliver in glyphs - we still don't know if glyphs should be doing big things like changing your role. maybe, maybe not.

so, guys: all is not lost! if there's a huge outcry, warlock tanking may actually be delivered! it may or may not be as a glyph (maybe a 4th spec), but it's still a possibility. now it's time for us to do what the WoW community does best: to QQ until we get what we want!
    Last edited by checking facts; 2012-03-27 at 10:07 AM.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking on my lock could bring me back, perhaps for a while.

Haven't tank 'officially' since Leothras/Illidan.

No.

Just no.

Tank on a tanking class.

Keep it away from my Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    No.

Just no.

Tank on a tanking class.

you know, I have many toons. one of them is a DK. I don't tank on him. you wouldn't be forced to tank as a warlock even if the option is there.

this pool over here just shows the majority of warlocks wanted to tank: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ved-DPS-option.

most would be happy even if they were to lose demonology dps completely.

(I voted on "Pretty happy, but unsure if it's worth losing a dps spec" because I like demo DPS, but I'd like tanking more lol)
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    you know, I have many toons. one of them is a DK. I don't tank on him. you wouldn't be forced to tank as a warlock even if the option is there.

this pool over here just shows the majority of warlocks wanted to tank: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ved-DPS-option.

most would be happy even if they were to lose demonology dps completely.

(I voted on "Pretty happy, but unsure if it's worth losing a dps spec" because I like demo DPS, but I'd like tanking more lol)
    Because we all know how legit MMO-C polls are! /snirk

The idea of "Well you don't have to be the tanking spec" is besides the point. Warlocks are not meant to be tanks. Not in the lore, and not how they were ever represented in any game they were in. They're seen as fragile, but extremely powerful ranged casters that control demons and use Fel fire and shadow magic. I don't want that tainted with "lulz, now yous guys are up meleeing as a demon with a void walker sitting on next to you doing nothing but getting you aggro!"

Deleted
    No.

Just no.

Tank on a tanking class.

So because you don't want it, nobody else can have it?

It's like people forget that part of the Glyph makes it so Demo form no longer increases damage done, this is an attempt at balancing. Also Demonic Slash's range is reduced to melee. Don't worry that existing abilities will be nerfed to compensate, the balancing comes with the glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    So because you don't want it, nobody else can have it?

It's like people forget that part of the Glyph makes it so Demo form no longer increases damage done, this is an attempt at balancing. Also Demonic Slash's range is reduced to melee. Don't worry that existing abilities will be nerfed to compensate, the balancing comes with the glyph.
    So because you want it, we should add it?

let's start QQ, altho we are the least played class..

I'm actually pretty happy with the original statement that it would be a niche thing rather than a serious raid tank thing. That's what I expected it to be anyway. Tuning it for raid tanking sounds good at first but the reality is that it takes more work than most think, including itemization as a large part of it. If it's just a niche thing it's magnitudes easier for blizzard to manage while still leaving us with all kinds of interesting options with it. I mean it could be great in pvp, it can certainly be fun and useful in 5 mans or 10 mans, maybe on rare occasions even in bigger raids. It would be great for soloing also, plenty of things to be happy about. Give Blizzard a rest, you rolled a dps only class and they never promised even a niche tanking ability.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2012-03-27 at 10:26 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would you like some paste with your Styrofoam?

No.

Just no.

Tank on a tanking class.

Don't be such a negative nacy pancy. I haven't touched my lock since Wrath, mainly not getting around to it and this sounds like a really fun idea I would love to try. You, also, do not need to participate in the fun to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    Would you like some paste with your Styrofoam?
    We need to have a duel to the death for the use of him as our avatar. And we're not talking about the Dr. Eggman bullshit. He's Robotnik and will always be Robotnik. Fuck you Sega.

Don't be such a negative nacy pancy. I haven't touched my lock since Wrath, mainly not getting around to it and this sounds like a really fun idea I would love to try. You, also, do not need to participate in the fun to be had.
    I would wager a guess that the vast majority of people will try out Tanking Demo just to see how it is and then never use it again. Its a waste to remove another pure dps class from the game.

A glyph doth not a tank make.

Warlocks will not be tanks now or ever.

WoW really needs to take some chances like this, every time anything fun comes around they destroy it because it was 'not the plan'. It's like BLizzard cannot stand emergent gameplay and must define everything with 100% rigidity. This isn't a balance issue, thats BS, it's not a gear issue, that too is BS. Jesus Blizz, just let WoW evolve a little.

Deleted
    So because you want it, we should add it?
    You're asking for something to be removed that will have NO IMPACT on the way YOU PLAY your class. Do you not see how selfish that is? The glyph is there, people are excited, I want people to be excited and play an aspect of the class that is new. Why do you want to deny players this right just because you don't agree with it?

Bottom line is - it won't effect the way you play your Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    You're asking for something to be removed that will have NO IMPACT on the way YOU PLAY your class. Do you not see how selfish that is? The glyph is there, people are excited, I want people to be excited and play an aspect of the class that is new. Why do you want to deny players this right just because you don't agree with it?

Bottom line is - it won't effect the way you play your Lock.
    I'm actually asking them to not implement an idea that they're floating in the beta. There are plenty of things they've tried out in the beta and simply scrapped. Something isn't added to the game until it's added to the release product. The beta is their testing grounds to do whatever crazy shit they think of.

I would wager a guess that the vast majority of people will try out Tanking Demo just to see how it is and then never use it again. Its a waste to remove another pure dps class from the game.
    I would like to also say that I have never played Demo. When I started playing WoW back in the Burning Crusade the very first character of mine I played was an affiction Warlock. If Blizzard decided to change everything I knew and love about it I wouldn't like it. So I can see where you are coming from. If they can add the option of tanking without taking away what you enjoy I say go for it. But I know adding a second spec effect can alter both states. Like I said though, if it can be done without altering the DPS Demo, go for it I say.

The idea of "Well you don't have to be the tanking spec" is besides the point. Warlocks are not meant to be tanks. Not in the lore, and not how they were ever represented in any game they were in. They're seen as fragile, but extremely powerful ranged casters that control demons and use Fel fire and shadow magic.

1) Turning into a Demon and having Nether Plating is hardly fragile.
    2) Look at Illidan and his Demon Form; he may not have been technically a "warlock" but he would fit along those lines especially after his Skull incident
    3) Look at Archimonde. I'd hardly call him "fragile"

15+ Year Old Account
    another pure dps class? what other pure dps class did they remove from the game, what did i miss? hunter, mage, rogue, warlock

know what i´am asking for? i want warlocks to only be able to perform well in raids when afflictions specced, demo only for leveling and destro for pvp
    if you think alike, good for you, if you don´t well, who cares, you shouldn´t have fun with your class in the first place
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Warlocks themself should not Tank, that is true. But it's something completely different if they turn into a demon.

I hope that with a lot of testing and some new abilities a warlock can soon join the Dungeon/Raidfinder as a full fledged Tank.