Deleted

Question [Help] Monitor black but active, win booting, ...

Good morning

first i want to say that english isnt my foreign language so please forgive me some faults

My problem: When i start my computer, windows xp prof boots normal ( i hear starting sound aswell from headset as from monitor sound) but the screen is black. the led on my screen goes on, off, on, off (it alternates each second, but it is green, its getting some signals). when i shut off my monitor wait 2-3 mins and start it again, i get the same problem again (to 80%) or now everything is normal (20%).

some additional information:

1) when i try to play a game with other resolution (for example old games like stronghold crusader) my monitor goes black and the blinking from the led of my monitor starts again, i dont get normal display again by stopping the game with alt f4.

2) my computer crashes sometimes then i have to wait atleast 10 mins before i get a normal screen again (after rebooting or waiting 10 mins until it starting it again)

3) i do not get (or atleast really rare, cause i normally start the monitor later when the computer is already started) bios or else

4) i think the problems (crashing did not happen before too) started with an update but it is already some time ago and i cannot reproduce which driver i had before

5) computer
    Motherboard:
    CPU Typ DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipsatz Intel Bearlake P35
    Arbeitsspeicher 3584 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Typ Award Modular (09/07/07)

Anzeige:
    Grafikkarte NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB)
    3D-Beschleuniger nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Monitor ViewSonic VX912-3 [19" LCD] (Q8D062100270)

Grafikprozessor Eigenschaften:
    Grafikkarte nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (p356)
    GPU Codename G80GTS (PCI Express x16 10DE / 0193, Rev A2)
    GPU Takt (Geometric Domain) 576 MHz (Original: 575 MHz)
    GPU Takt (Shader Domain) 1188 MHz (Original: 1188 MHz)
    Speichertakt 837 MHz (Original: 850 MHz
    as far as i remember the pc freezes / crashes started BEFORE the monitor problem occured and i think that should be mentioned too: the grapic card goes really hot. i manually set fan speed to 100% to prevent the grapic card going other 75° C

hopefully anyone knows something fixxing my problem

greetings

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balleny View Post
    Good morning
    • but the screen is black. the led on my screen goes on, off, on, off (it alternates each second, but it is green, its getting some signals).
    • as far as i remember the pc freezes / crashes started BEFORE the monitor problem occured and i think that should be mentioned too: the grapic card goes really hot. i manually set fan speed to 100% to prevent the grapic card going other 75° C.
    • when i try to play a game with other resolution (for example old games like stronghold crusader) my monitor goes black and the blinking from the led of my monitor starts again, i dont get normal display again by stopping the game with alt f4.
    These all seem to be GPU related problems,
    If your monitor goes to black its 99% chance either your GPU or your monitor. Could be your power supply aswell not giving enough power to your GPU.

here's some things you could try

• Try reinstalling Windows
    • Try and update to the latest nvidia drivers.
    • Try another monitor
    • Try putting in another GPU/power supply and see if it makes any difference

Deleted
    the strange thing is that i get a blank screen, shutting my monitor off for 2-5 mins and start it again (comp all the time on) and sometimes everything goes normal or i have to repeat this process

maybe something that i should mention too: even when the computer is off (for hours) and i switch my monitor on, it does not say: no signal, it is just black and the led blinks
    Last edited by mmoc424e7293e9; 2012-03-28 at 09:48 AM.

Deleted
    ah and another small question: i have win7 prof 64bit (student version) flying around; would you recommend me to upgrade from win xp prof? (unfortunally i cannot go back to xp if anything occours :/ no more license or install cd)

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 01:22 PM ----------

small update, which brings even more questions

i cleaned my comp, updated drivers etc, while i noticed that my ram was at
    slot1: -
    slot2: 1 gb
    slot3: 2gb
    slot4: 1gb

which resulted in ~3,56gb usable for the computer

i changed it to: 1-2-1-0 and now my comp only uses 3,00gb; could this mean that my first slot is defect? (the 1gb rams are the same, the 2gb was an upgrade i bought)