Deleted

New Valor System.

The second change I want to mention is that we plan to adjust the role of Valor points. Valor (or the various other names that the currency has had over the years) was originally added to WoW for two reasons: it helped to mitigate really bad luck, for those times when the boss just refused to drop the item you wanted, and it helped encourage players to stay with the group even if they didn't need anything off the next boss.

Over time, we have felt like Valor has taken on too prominent a role, to the point that it risks becoming more important than actual boss loot. This is particularly the case when the tier sets are available on the Valor vendors. We think killing dragons and ransacking their hoard is more epic than shopping at the magic armor store, so we want to shift back toward boss kills being the primary source of epic PvE gear.

In Mists of Pandaria, Valor will be used to power a new feature that allows you to increase the item level of your existing epic items. This means that each week, you can become a little more powerful, hopefully allowing you to kill that boss that has eluded you thus far. There will be a bit of a game in trying to decide when to upgrade your gear versus hoping for a new piece to drop from a raid boss, but our plan is that even heroic gear can be upgraded slightly in this way.

We won't allow you to upgrade Raid Finder gear so much that it becomes better than normal gear, but imagine if you can increase your item level by around eight points. At this time, we're thinking there won't be gear on the Valor vendors at all, but we'll see how that shakes out. Valor will come primarily from dungeons (including challenge modes) and scenarios. You might earn a little from daily quests and raiding as well, but that won't be as efficient.

Opinions?
    I personally think it will be quite interesting to see how it pans out.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think this is a good idea. It was stupid to get raid gear from doing dungeons, it has been a problem for a long time. I for one, welcome it and will be interested how it goes. Raid gear should be from raid bosses, nothing else. This stops people from skipping lots of content also such as dungeons.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    I personally think this is a good idea. It was stupid to get raid gear from doing dungeons, it has been a problem for a long time. I for one, welcome it and will be interested how it goes. Raid gear should be from raid bosses, nothing else.
    And was something that was done in late BC when they introduced Badge gear, especially the later stuff that was on par with ZA. Not to mention, the final Boss in each Heroic usually dropped at least one epic quality item. And that is what many consider the pinnacle of BC difficulty tuning.

As I said in another thread, the proposed changes are all well and good for 5.0. But what about patch 5.1, with the next raid tier and the previous tier stuff traditionally gets downgraded to help gear up new alts for the current content. Are we still only going to have the same "blue" quality stuff bought from JP as the only options come 5.1? How about 5.2? Or how about 5.x, when we're killing Garrosh?

Or how about if they release new dungeons, like the ICC 5-mans and the HoT 5-mans, that have drops with an ilvl roughly on par with the previous raid tier? Are we still going to only be buying "blue" ilvl stuff from the JP and VP vendors?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    And was something that was done in late BC when they introduced Badge gear, especially the later stuff that was on par with ZA. Not to mention, the final Boss in each Heroic usually dropped at least one epic quality item. And that is what many consider the pinnacle of BC difficulty tuning.

As I said in another thread, the proposed changes are all well and good for 5.0. But what about patch 5.1, with the next raid tier and the previous tier stuff traditionally gets downgraded to help gear up new alts for the current content. Are we still only going to have the same "blue" quality stuff bought from JP as the only options come 5.1? How about 5.2? Or how about 5.x, when we're killing Garrosh?

Or how about if they release new dungeons, like the ICC 5-mans and the HoT 5-mans, that have drops with an ilvl roughly on par with the previous raid tier? Are we still going to only be buying "blue" ilvl stuff from the JP and VP vendors?

I figure that JP will fill in the hole between heroics and current tiers LFR, unless they are going to make a set of dungeons to each tier. Ask on the official forums!

Deleted
    With a new tier they could always just raise the itemlevel of the jp vendors things, like they did with the pvp craftable items this expansion. It will off course make it dreadfully boring when looking at trinkets but still the way equipment is thrown out so to say with each new tier, i dont mind or care.
    If i remember correctly they also added that you could buy old valor for jp with a new patch so that it would be easier for new people to get ready for raiding.

p.s. would be nice if the vendor gear wold be nice if new jp gear would be a few itemlevel lower than an old tiers normalmode items, so that the old tier still could be a bit relevant (like how toc was still relevant back in wotlk although icc had been out for some time).

Edit: on topic feels im seeing even more inflated itemlevel numbers next expansion. And gotta agree the best thing they did was removing current tier gear from valor vendors. Starting firelands knowing that you would have to max out valor by going to the then dreadfull troll dungeons every week, to get your tier gear as fast as possible, was really depressing.
    Last edited by mmoc30cfcfeceb; 2012-03-27 at 10:35 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    New dungeons on the next tier will always drop higher ilvl loot than dungeons on a different tier, that's acceptable. However, VP vendors no longer sell loot if I understood the blue right. VP is used to upgrade a gear of your choice by increasing the ilvl, effectively having no gear on a VP vendor. I'm not sure about JP, if that will even exist, but maybe it will be used to buy dungeon quality gear. All I do know is, that rep will allow you to buy some epics.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this will be interesting to see what they are going to do, if in fact VP vendors do not sell gear as Blizzard has suggested might be the case. They clearly are not going back to the BC model of making players gear up from a previous tiers raids before tackling the new content, so they'll have to do something to bridge the gap such as just increasing the ilvl of the initial JP gear each patch.