Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Meh, better to pay for weight loss operation than the other problems that follow the obesity - though a gastric rubber band or bypass would be better than a liposuction
    I agree, if she cant be responsible for her own weight, make it physically or near physically impossible for her to regain it. Cut off a portion of her stomach and shorten her small intestine. Honestly, if this was available in America, I would be down for it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you also want to euthanize genetically defected babies, old and terminally ill people - to save taxpayers' money - you should be ok with this lady getting treatment. Over and over again as much as she needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I highly doubt this would stop it though. This woman doesn't have an issue losing the weight, she eats 5,700 calories of pure processed badness a day. An operation will not stop a person eating rubbish, if this woman ate say, 2800 calories a day, she'd lose weight immediately, the larger you are the more energy it takes to maintain that weight.

She clearly needs some psychological help, I imagine the eating is linked to something and that's why she eats so excessively.
    putting on the gastric band will limit the amount she can eat and the bypass would limit the amount she can absorb for a couple of years

EDIT: Shit she's just down the road from me. Also excessive drinking while pregnant with your 6 kids. Stay classy Milton Keynes.
    Lol'd.

I'm amazed her children seem relatively healthy. Liposuction will do nothing for this woman, fat camp would be a better way to spend the money, or lipo+counselling as she clearly has responsibility issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Unless you also want to euthanize genetically defected babies, old and terminally ill people - to save taxpayers' money - you should be ok with this lady getting treatment. Over and over again as much as she needs it.
    She doesn't need it though, that's the issue. Or atleast she needs help getting on a diet more than a 20k operation.
    And people with genetic defects can't help being in their condition, I've no issue supporting them as long as they want to keep on living.

Deleted
    They didnt choose to be genetically defect or terminally ill.
    She choose to become fat.

Then again, i do belive some people should recieve merciful painless death to avoid misery and pain. (genetically defect, morbidly obese, terminally ill etc)

No, there's a huge gap between 'Oh hey lets not question anyone and let them waste money on frivolous things that can be dealt with much in a much healthier way' and 'Ok NO ONE GETS ANYTHING' This woman needs treatment to improve her quality of life, but it doesn't mean it should be an easy-fix, revolving door scenario where we just throw money into a bottomless pit (lol, subject matter makes it funny)

Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    Didn't you read? Dieting was "hard" and exercise "hurt".

As someone who works in the NHS, this would be one of those cases you really have to hold back from laughing at, I hope she gets refused treatment, its just a joke.
    It's meant to be there as a last resort, when you've tried all else and it has failed, or isn't a viable option, not when you sit at home and spend $300/week on shit.
    Those complaints are a load of crap.
    One: Dieting is hard for someone who loves to stuff their face and eat 3-5 times MORE than what is required to live (Calorie consumption).
    Two: Exercising hurts. LOL. I work out 5 days a week.. "No pain no gain" didn't come out of no where. Its a Laziness disease. The body is so weak from being swallowed in hundreds of pounds of fat that the acids produced by fat has literally evaporated the muscles. Exercising will always hurt if you aren't in shape. Such a Worthless excuse.
    Men's Health Magazine: Truth# 2. The fatter you get, the fatter you'll get. It has to due with BMR (Basal, Resting metabolism rate). Studies are showing that the visceral fat can actually help with degrading muscle. The more fat you become, the more muscle gets degraded from fat releasing Adipokines. http://menshealth.coverleaf.com/mens...104?pg=90#pg90
    So, this pain she experiences with exercise is common for the overweight. get over it and do something, stop being lazy and stuffing your face.
    Brian Griffon; "Put down the fork, FACE!" Lol.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

While the UK is struggling to cope with inflation and pay stagnation this woman expects us all to chip in and pay for her to continue being lazy, and I hate it.
    If you deny these people effective treatment for a root disease then you end up paying for a lifetime of complicates resulting from it. Fine, you don't pay for her tummy-tuck, but you'll end up funding dialysis for diabetes, seeing eye dogs for blindness as a result of diabetes, stays in cardiac wards for heart failure, etc. as a direct result of her obesity.

You might be tempted to say "fine, we'll also not pay for that sort of thing because it can be traced back to being fat" but that raises questions of what other conditions should be exempted. Do you treat coal miners for black lung, it was their choice to work in a dangerous environment? Soccer^wfootball players for injured ankles sustained during practice: nobody needs to play football? Artist welders for flash burns? Do you restrict access to intensive care wards to motorcyclists: it's 20x more deadly than driving a car - it's almost a certainty that every motorcycle rider will experience a crash at one point during their riding life. All of those are a result of choices and activities that are at least as voluntary as eating too much. This of course says nothing about genetic predisposition to obesity - it's easier to just assume it's entirely a behavioural problem.

Finally there are the increased costs associated with fat people in general. Suppose she's fat but pays her taxes and generally lives a "good life". Some unemployed drunken jerk runs her down in but doesn't stick around. Fit & healthy people tend to recover much more quickly than out of shape/unhealthy people. Do we deny her coverage for the extra 3 weeks she needs in hospital because she's going to recover more slowly?

I understand the desire to say he/she has an attribute that I think should disqualify them from some public good. When that happens you need to consider why that public good exists in the first place. We tend to fund public schools - even for dumb/lazy kids - because the cost of an uneducated populace outweighs the tax burden. Ignorant masses don't make for good employees, people who can't find work tend toward drug use, crime, etc. and the cost of protecting ourselves from muggers and dope fiends is much higher than the cost of simply providing a quality education to everyone. The same is true of healthcare: we vaccinate children en-masse because the costs of dealing with rampant measles is worse than a five-pound vaccine. Nobody particularly like handing out methadone to heroin addicts but it seems better than the alternative. Maybe surgical treatments for obesity is a similar sort of unwanted but necessary expense. If things like diet, drug, and exercise regimes aren't effective for a particular person it might still make sense to pay a few thousand pounds for surgery now than hundreds of thousands over a lifetime. The alternative treatments might be better, cheaper, desirable, etc. but so far they've proven ineffective for one reason or another. Given that they aren't working you need to consider both other ways of addressing the problem (ie: surgery) and the costs of letting it go untreated.

Of course, maybe it's a waste to pay for it too: it won't be effective (doubtful, gastric bypass is very effective) or maybe the surgery and followup care is more than what you can be reasonably expected to pay out over a life-time of fatness. In that case you'd be arguing against her for practical reasons. Denying treatment simply because you think she's stupid or lazy is petty and ultimately counter to your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Attention taxpayer : this lady want YOU to pay for her weight loss operation
    Attention OP: A $22,000 surgery is barely a drop in the bucket in this country. You are upset because your MSN homepage showed a 'spotlight story' on an overweight citizen asking for money. Why are you throwing a fit about this insignificant issue while corporations and politicians throw hundreds of millions away every year... Sure, bite off what you can chew, but this is frivolous by comparison.
    Oswald was over hit cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    She doesn't need it though, that's the issue. Or atleast she needs help getting on a diet more than a 20k operation.
    And people with genetic defects can't help being in their condition, I've no issue supporting them as long as they want to keep on living.
    Well that's not for us to decide what she needs, right?
    Also she can't help being fat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    They didnt choose to be genetically defect or terminally ill.
    She choose to become fat.
    What? Who in their right mind would choose that? (disregard Sumo)
    She obviously didn't wanted to be fat, but couldn't help it.
    Or maybe, just maybe it's her evil genius PLAN:
    1. Eat a lot of tasty food
    2. Become fat
    3. Use taxpayers' money to get slim again
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    No, there's a huge gap between 'Oh hey lets not question anyone and let them waste money on frivolous things that can be dealt with much in a much healthier way' and 'Ok NO ONE GETS ANYTHING' This woman needs treatment to improve her quality of life, but it doesn't mean it should be an easy-fix, revolving door scenario where we just throw money into a bottomless pit (lol, subject matter makes it funny)
    She needs it - she gets it. Healthcare basis. Differentials? She needs it, but just because it's an easy-fix - she doesn't get it?

Faith in humanity loss is OVER 9000!!!

Seriously, if i could i'd go there with my little brother, take some peanuts and a stick, and stand there throwing peanuts on her while laughing and poking her with a stick yelling "LOOK AT THE ELEPHANT! LOOK AT IT! AWW GAWD IT LOOKS SAD! GIVE IT MORE!"

Fucking hell bitch.
    How emberassing it must be for her kids...... I'd fucking not show my face around if my mother was such a piggy.
    "too hard" to go on a diet? you think its a fucking walk in the park? "Hurt" to exercise?? NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
    Fucking dumb bitch... i would feel my mood going +1 if she one day didnt wake up. Would suck for the family, but for me +1

I got some tips for you

1) STOP EATING LIKE A FUCKING COW! Eat some "saalaad" You know, the green stuff? healthy? no? you dont know those? well, you tell your kids to fetch you some. And yes, it should taste like a fucking leaf. Deal with it.
    2) Did i read it right, that you had "unhealthy" (really??) cravings for junk food? SUCK IT UP BITCH! I myself would eat for 3-6000 calories a day just a month ago. I loved stuffing my ugly face with cookies, cake, chips, soda and what ever de fuck that was fucking unhealthy.
    You know what i did? I decided to stop eating that much. Just stop. No slowing drinking 1 less soda a week for 100 weeks or some shit. I went from 6 litres of soda a week to about 0.3 litres a week. 2-3 bags of chips to about ½ bag of chips. i eat FAR FAR less then i did before. You know why? because i decided to quit for my own health, and because its cheaper
    That "craving" is just bullshit. It's a shitty excuse you use to eat yourself fat like a fucking pig before slaughter.
    Im utterly disgusted by people like you who "demand" money from society to help you live, when you had plenty of chance to help yourself before this. (Gimme a Saw movie trap for this fatty please. A Trap where she'd be able to eat a cheeseburger, but it would drop an anvil on her head Survive 30min without eating it and she proved she can actually control herself juuuust a little bit.)

ohh yea, i had a tip. JUST STOP EATING ALL THAT AND EAT SOMETHING BETTER!

3) (my personal favourite) Stfu, keep eating till you're on the heavy side of 700 kilos, and die silenty in the night from a heart attack, all alone in a soup of your own sweat, sadness and salty tears.

BRING ZE FLAMERS!
    BRING ZE BANHAMMER!

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-03-27 at 08:30 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    If the richest started getting taxed too, I would be happy to.

You seem to be both a scholar and a gentleman, a truly nice presence to be around.

On a serious note, I support her right to be that large, but not the right for the tax payer to pay to fix it. Her arrogance of demanding we do when it could easily be solved herself over a lengthy period of time is genuinely annoying.

EDIT: Shit she's just down the road from me. Also excessive drinking while pregnant with your 6 kids. Stay classy Milton Keynes. £17,000 a year received in benefits, AND she feels she's entitled to a expensive surgery on the NHS. This is what's wrong with England today, and what's worse is that I imagine she'll influencing her 6 children to become the same.

She's just down the road from me aswell. Small world we live in.

It's her choice to get that big, but fuck off if she thinks we should pay to fix it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Dieting was 'too hard' and exercise 'hurt'

Wow. That's pathetic and lazy
    She makes it sound as if she could ever get any of that food on her own. I sincerely doubt she was able to shop on her own. Her addiction and condition can partially be blamed on those that fed her and allowed it.

2. Become fat
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT

Right?

She needs it - she gets it. Healthcare basis. Differentials? She needs it, but just because it's an easy-fix - she doesn't get it?
    Thats bullshit.

Next you'll say, people who don't want to work should get payed aswell because they didn't choose not wanting to work. Its a disability derp!
    Put some f*cking effort into something you want. Don't eat 300 dollars a week on take-out food like it clearly states in the article.

If she wants to lose weight, eat healthier to start. Save money making your own proper food instead of wasting it on expensive fast food crap she eats.

Yes, shes lazy
    No, she doesn't deserve the tax money for her personal benefit when there is already an economical crisis going on.
    Lamest fucking excuse i've ever heard.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Deleted

2. Become fat
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT

She hasn't even tried the basic treatment yet, why should she skip straight to the last ditch option?
    If she can't lose atleast some of the weight on her own, how will she keep it off after the lipo?

If she needs to cut down on the calories, a gastric bypass would be more suitable. But only as a last resort.

Sorry I chose my words rather carelessly, I should have said band-aid fix or addressing the symptoms and not the root cause. Liposuction does nothing for this woman other than allow her to eat her fill again without feeling guilty for a few months/years. Repeated liposuction is not a good public health policy and the fact that you are trying to argue for it is ridiculous. Addressing the problem at hand, her psychological problems/aversion to responsibility is more cost efficient in the long term. Just because it's public healthcare, doesn't mean we should just throw money at it until it goes away, that's not how the system should work, and I'm glad it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Thats bullshit.

Next you'll say, people who don't want to work should get payed aswell because they didn't choose not wanting to work. Its a disability derp!
    I'll quote you: Thats bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    If she wants to lose weight, eat healthier to start. Save money making your own proper food instead of wasting it on expensive fast food crap she eats.

Yes, shes lazy
    No, she doesn't deserve the tax money for her personal benefit when there is already an economical crisis going on.
    Lamest fucking excuse i've ever heard.
    Well in my opinion bitter people like you do not deserve healthcare too. I don't want a lot of "yous" around.
    But gladly we do not decide who deserves healthcare and who doesn't. Everyone deserves it equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    If I were running things, this woman would be publicly executed.

462 pounds is inexcusable, eat less and exercise more, asking people to pay for surgery is unreal... good job, now her family will get a lot of hate because of her.

On another note, how can any man stay with a monster like that? I'll never understand why people stay with an unattractive spouse.. maybe its just me, partnership is based on a sexual attraction and mental attraction, if you don't maintain both, cya.
    Are you absolutely sure that there is not a medical problem behind her excessive weight? It seems like lack of discipline, but the article is biased and "exercise 'hurt'" could mean a lot of things (i.e muscle pain, or something worse). Not everyone that is obese is obese by laziness, it is good to remember this.
    Would I want to be responsible for her surgery? Eh.. not really. In the same way I don't enjoy knowing my tax dollars pay for the medical care of still-smoking smokers. However, if there were a drastic change in her lifestyle I might sing a different tune, because the want to be healthy is important, but sometimes the means aren't always accessible.