Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thinking of getting a motorcycle

Well at the moment I own a '96 blazer and I love it, it has it problems but nothing serious that I can't work around. Only problem is, its a gas whore and I'm joining the military. Now this would be fine with me as I don't travel a lot but even in small time traveling, I use a lot of gas in such a short time. Well I've always wanted a bike but never had the time nor courage to convince my parents into letting me get one. Well I decided now that it is a good choice. Only thing is, all the one on my local Craigslist, while are nice, are not what I'm looking for(2 to 5 grand for a Harley and such) while my interest is just to get a sport bike such as a Kawasaki Ninja. I contacted a dealer and he told me that for a Ninja 250R I'm looking at about 4495 and for a Ninja 650 about 7495. They don't seem like horrible deals and he told me for payments, it about 100-200 a month, which I can manage well enough. My only question is, should I get one?

I've never been to a dealer myself, always bought used. At the moment I go to school as a senior and after I graduate, I will be going into the military shortly after. I want this to be a bike I can have for a long term, save some money with gas and in the end, still have a bad ass bike. I won't be getting rid of the blazers as I will use that for long travels(Unless the dealer will let me trade it for a bike but I doubt he will).

Anyways, as the above question asked, should I go talk to the dealer and see about buying a bike?

P.S. I don't have my motorcycle license but plan to if I do make the choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    250R is a small bike. If you are going to go brand new, the 650R is the one to get.

Just remember that it is easy to dump the bike, especially when first starting out, so please... Be careful and look into getting "pucks" for it. (pucks, if you don't know, are little chunks of rubber that stick out from the frame work of the bike that protect the engine/body if it is dumped)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

You seem mostly concerned about MPG - which means you'd benefit greatly from getting a bike. To give you an example, I recently drove my 650cc classic non-stop from Orange County,CA straight to Berkeley,CA , averaging 95mph, and only had to stop for gas every 110miles or so - each refill costing roughly $6.25. (You mentioned your interest in a Ninja style, which will save you even more coin)

Do NOT buy a used bike, lol. I've learned that the hard way with my first. Invest in a nice quality bike that will last you.

Getting your license is incredibly easy. You can get one over a weekend. A simple written test, followed by a short course test with a class and you're qualified.

When it comes to safety differences, I've been riding motorcycles since I was 14 and have never so much as fallen off, much less been involved in any traffic incident.

*extra benefit: Cops have NEVER bothered me when on a motorcycle. (I can VERY rarely drive a car at night without being randomly grief'd by bored pigs)
    Last edited by Nycrolieben; 2012-04-03 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Margrim
    "Heroism sounds like an old lady picking flowers
    Bloodlust sounds like Freddy Krueger dualwielding Gnomes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Demichelis View Post
    Phantasmagorical novelization, oh great one. Art thou enraged?

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    250R is a small bike. If you are going to go brand new, the 650R is the one to get.

Just remember that it is easy to dump the bike, especially when first starting out, so please... Be careful and look into getting "pucks" for it. (pucks, if you don't know, are little chunks of rubber that stick out from the frame work of the bike that protect the engine/body if it is dumped)
    Even if you use the car just for common commute?
    How hard is it to get your biking license? I work about 33 hours a week or so, I can't really take to many days off.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

Get some experience on a bike first. Take a safety course. Start small and take short trips. One of my best friends in WoW had no experience with motorcycles and bought a 650 Sport Bike and died within 2 weeks, I cried for about a week and still get bummed out about it. For your first bike, you are going to want to start off with the 250R, it will have enough power for you to get used to but not enough to get you into trouble. Try to buy one used if you can find it because after a year you are going to want to sell it for more power. I did a comparison between the Honda CBR250R and the Kawasaki Ninja 250R (both 2012) and they are similar, but the Ninja has better horsepower, which you will be happy with for a while before you want to go up to a 650.

You might hear some people say that I am totally wrong on this or that I am being a doomsayer, I am not. I have been riding motorcycles for the better part of 30 years and I think it is the most fun form of transportation that you can own, but I am a realist and realistically, you want to start off small before you hop on a bike that is capable of going 0 - 60 in less than 4 secs and has a top speed of ~120 mph. Have fun, just be safe and smart.

EDIT: Also ALWAYS ride with protective clothing: jeans, leather jacket, good shoes or boots and gloves. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!! Anyone who tells you any differently is a massive skin graft or future resident in your local morgue.
    Last edited by helusay; 2012-04-03 at 07:53 PM.

I agree with the above about taking a safety course. Look into taking the MSF. I've taken 3 different MSF courses and learned something new at all of them. Yes the class can be pricey but the tools they teach are invaluable. Plus, if you take the beginner MSF now you won't have to unlearn as many bad habits. If you're going into the military you'll have to take the MSF anyways before they let you ride.

I disagree with buying new. Well, atleast for a first bike. You can find a used pre 2008 ninja 250 for $2k or less. And 6 months to a year from now if/when you want to upgrade you can sell the 250 for what you paid for it. The smaller bikes hold their value well cause people want them for starter bikes. Don't worry about looks for your first bike. If you want a sportier looking bike the 2009 and up ninja 250s look better but are pricier. Other decent first bikes are suzuki SV650, gs500, kawasaki 650r or any 250/500cc bike. You'll learn so much more starting smaller in 6 months then if you rode a year on a bigger bike (r6, gsx-r, 600rr). I'm not a fan of buying from the dealer but generally those bikes have been inspected atleast (talking about used ones). If you buy from a private seller try to get someone who knows bikes to go with you to look at it. Or atleast read up on a used bike buying guide before you go look.

Plus when you do start riding stay away from the crowds that just cruise around downtown looking cool. Find the groups that do rides out of town to the twistys. If you can't find any fellow riders just start searching for internet forums. There are tons of forums where people post local rides.

I've decided to go to a dealer tomorrow and look at what they have. I think I'm going to go with a 250r, I would love to get a 650 but 250r are cheaper and if in the end I do decide to upgrade, it'll be a cheap upgrade and I can resell the thing.

Get a Victory instead of one of the 'sport' bikes you will never use to its full potential.

I would say don't get one, just find a more fuel efficient car. No matter how good of a driver you are on a motorcycle, other people suck at driving and you are far more likely to die if you are hit by some retarded guy when you're on a motorcycle vs. in a car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Get a Victory instead of one of the 'sport' bikes you will never use to its full potential.
    you did see he was concerned about price right? victories while a great bike start at around $13,000.

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    you did see he was concerned about price right? victories while a great bike start at around $13,000.
    Mmhmm, that is why he gets a used Victory after having it checked out by a mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Discombobula View Post
    I've decided to go to a dealer tomorrow and look at what they have.
    I'd recommend you get some insurance quotes before you even set foot on a sales floor. In your age group the rates can be exorbitant, even if you have a squeaky clean record.

10+ Year Old Account

Like a baws.

On a serious note, like someone else said, DO NOT buy a used bike, Wear protective clothing/gear, stay off of highways for a while.

If you're buying a motorcycle with the intent of work commute, get a scooter instead, then work your way up to a motorcycle.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I would say don't get one, just find a more fuel efficient car. No matter how good of a driver you are on a motorcycle, other people suck at driving and you are far more likely to die if you are hit by some retarded guy when you're on a motorcycle vs. in a car.
    I've known 3 friends that have been killed, in cars. More having serious injuries from accidents, in cars. A family friend being paralyzed, from being hit, while driving a RV.

Out of all the people I've known with motorcycles, I've never known any to have been killed, with only one having been injured (3 day coma, but body 100% functional after) after being hit by a drunk driver, who hit him with... a car.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I'd recommend you get some insurance quotes before you even set foot on a sales floor. In your age group the rates can be exorbitant, even if you have a squeaky clean record.
    My motorcycle insurance is x3 cheaper than my car insurance. Clean record, age 16-23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Margrim
    "Heroism sounds like an old lady picking flowers
    Bloodlust sounds like Freddy Krueger dualwielding Gnomes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Demichelis View Post
    Phantasmagorical novelization, oh great one. Art thou enraged?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nycrolieben View Post
    I've known 3 friends that have been killed, in cars. More having serious injuries from accidents, in cars. A family friend being paralyzed, from being hit, while driving a RV.

Out of all the people I've known with motorcycles, I've never known any to have been killed, with only one having been injured (3 day coma, but body 100% functional after) after being hit by a drunk driver, who hit him with... a car.
    I think bikes are awesome don't get me wrong but if you can honestly say you'd feel safer on a bike than in a large SUV... well you're on drugs. The problem isn't motorcycle drivers are reckless per se it's the vast amounts of Texting Teenages, Makeup Applying Females, Facebook Status Checking Douchebags that I encounter all the time. I drive a Toyota Tundra and at times I feel scared on the road.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey there Discombobula, I just recently started riding myself less than a few months ago, and I can assure you, it's extremely fun! I'm 17 years old and I ride a kawasaki ninja 250. I'm 5"10' and 240 pounds and I can make this thing go up to speeds of 100 miles an hour, plenty fast enough for anything you'll need. If you're looking into something fun to ride that gets good mileage, I would suggest going with a 250CC bike. I have been riding for a little over 4 months now, and I can tell you that I want to upgrade to a 650CC bike already because I like the torque and speeds I can reach on the larger bikes, I suggest starting off on a 250 and when you want to upgrade, you have two options, trade in your 250 or keep it. Personally I'm going to trade in my 250 because I can't see myself riding it after I buy my 650, but I a lot of people keep their 250's because they get better gas mileage than the higher CC bikes.

---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 05:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    I agree with the above about taking a safety course. Look into taking the MSF. I've taken 3 different MSF courses and learned something new at all of them. Yes the class can be pricey but the tools they teach are invaluable. Plus, if you take the beginner MSF now you won't have to unlearn as many bad habits. If you're going into the military you'll have to take the MSF anyways before they let you ride.

I disagree with buying new. Well, atleast for a first bike. You can find a used pre 2008 ninja 250 for $2k or less. And 6 months to a year from now if/when you want to upgrade you can sell the 250 for what you paid for it. The smaller bikes hold their value well cause people want them for starter bikes. Don't worry about looks for your first bike. If you want a sportier looking bike the 2009 and up ninja 250s look better but are pricier. Other decent first bikes are suzuki SV650, gs500, kawasaki 650r or any 250/500cc bike. You'll learn so much more starting smaller in 6 months then if you rode a year on a bigger bike (r6, gsx-r, 600rr). I'm not a fan of buying from the dealer but generally those bikes have been inspected atleast (talking about used ones). If you buy from a private seller try to get someone who knows bikes to go with you to look at it. Or atleast read up on a used bike buying guide before you go look.

Plus when you do start riding stay away from the crowds that just cruise around downtown looking cool. Find the groups that do rides out of town to the twistys. If you can't find any fellow riders just start searching for internet forums. There are tons of forums where people post local rides.
    the law has changed to where ALL motorcyclists have to take the basic MSF course first before they can get their license.

---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Discombobula View Post
    I've decided to go to a dealer tomorrow and look at what they have. I think I'm going to go with a 250r, I would love to get a 650 but 250r are cheaper and if in the end I do decide to upgrade, it'll be a cheap upgrade and I can resell the thing.
    Good choice, another thing about the 250's is they have a GREAT resale value if you keep the bike in good condition, because of the good MPG's they get.

Deleted
    Getting a license depends on where you live. You probably won't have to do traffic law and theory again since you already have a valid license - you'll probably just have to do a practical course and a test.

Having owned motorcycles for 10+ years I always give new riders the same advice.

1: If you're only looking to commute on two wheels instead of four, get a maxi scooter. They'll get you there just as fast in traffic, cost next to nothing in maintenance and are comfy to boot.

2: If you're actually looking to ride a motorcycle, start out with a 250 until you really get the hang of it. A sportsbike in the 600-range has more power than you'll need and way more power than someone new to motorcycles should have to control. Forget about 750's and 1000's for a couple of years until you've really gotten the hang of it.

3: Sportsbikes are shit for city traffic. Enduros is the way to go. You get a more neutral seating position, sit higher so you can see traffic, and your wheels are bigger so you won't have (as much)trouble with curbs and potholes and the fuel economy is a bit better. And you can take it off road for some fun I drive a lovely beast like this.

Seriously, though. This is important. Learn slowly, stay safe and live longer.
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2012-04-04 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nycrolieben View Post

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 08:42 PM ----------

My motorcycle insurance is x3 cheaper than my car insurance. Clean record, age 16-23.
    You're an outlier then.
    http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810990.PDF
    “Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are about 35 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash.”

Don't fucking buy a motorcycle.

You're an outlier then.
    “Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are about 35 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash.”

The problem with motorcycles is that when you DO get into an accident, (and you will its just a matter of time) the accident can have three outcomes:

Minor
    Mediocre
    Heavy

Now the first one you survive, the next two will either cause permanent injury or get you killed. Ive not met anyone who has owned a bike who hasn't tossed it aside after one accident! If you want to have a family toss the bike aside, its just not worth it in my book.

But man I did love my bike! But I love my kids even more.

You're an outlier then.

Well in England the main reason for that i think, is mainly due to the amount of kids pissing about on a motorbike at 16.

I've had a motorbike for 7 years now and only come off once (my first 6 months) and broke my arm due to a white van changing lanes without looking, and yes i could have avoided it if i had the experience. To be honest if your careful and play it defensively you will learn what to look out for.

If you are wearing the right kit; motorbike helmet gloves etc and not doing stupid speeds you will be fine, in my opionion.

I see the below alot while traveling to work every morning on my motorbike in the uk.

'Born again' bikers

The "born again" bikers seem to be becoming somewhat of a public health problem as middle aged (and older) men take to the roads again on ever increasingly powerful vehicles but with possibly rusty riding skills. This is important in framing new policy towards rider training and licensing which to date has focused on younger riders and less powerful machines and which has assumed a continuity of motor cycle use.
    I know this is old but check out my area. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8401344.stm
    Last edited by Toccs; 2012-04-04 at 08:42 AM.