Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Video preview of 1.2 legacy system.



    looks pretty baller cept for the tease of the 1.3 abilities.

  2. #2
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    So, credit sinks as a reward for levelling a billion alts.

    I suppose that's one way to increase your "content" make it endgame mandatory to have an alt of everything
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  3. #3
    From my understanding, you don't need any alts to gain any of the things that really give you a benefit in endgame pvp or raids, just one character and level your affection up with each of your characters.

    The speed boost is purchasable, and that's about it. Presence bonuses are nice, but only come into effect in solo play, where really, an extra 10 presence isn't exactly mandatory, it's solo play, play however you want there.

  4. #4
    The 5mil auction house in the ship is just the neutral one? Whats the point? That thing is basically abandoned.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by eddo69 View Post
    The 5mil auction house in the ship is just the neutral one? Whats the point? That thing is basically abandoned.
    People will start using it if it's in their ships.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So, credit sinks as a reward for levelling a billion alts.

    I suppose that's one way to increase your "content" make it endgame mandatory to have an alt of everything
    It's not mandatory in anyway. Most of the stuff it unlocks is for when rolling alts, or for soloing. If you don't want to roll an alt, you can even unlock most of the stuff with credits.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23 View Post
    People will start using it if it's in their ships.
    Not if they have to pay 5Million.

    Perhaps those people that are still chugging away and are on 30+ Million may buy it, but I can't see it being all that popular, even with those people that can afford it. Considering server populations in a lot of realms, it's hard enough to buy and sell on the faction specific GTNs at the moment. Maybe on a high population server, a few people might start using it, but I think most people would rather just go to the fleet than spend 5 Million.

    I mean, if everyone was already using the Nar Shadda AH, it might entice people into it - but those first guys, who is going to spend 5 million to get easy access to a GTN that barely anyone is using at that point? It's like investing in something that has a very high chance of not paying off.

    I know there's not a whole lot to spend 5 million credits on at the moment, but I think most people that are above 5 million, probably aren't that much higher, they're more likely to spend money on other things such as the speed boost.

    I have 6.5 Million, and a further 4 Million that's going to go to our guild bank once that comes in from selling mods and stuff that no one needed. So long as I can spend a few minutes and get to a GTN, I'm not going to blow 5 Million on my own personal GTN. I don't intend to buy the repair droid or the mailbox either. Why? I have absolutely no reason to. It's really a waste of money. I have almost no reason to visit my ship. I go to Warzones on the fleet, I go to raids on the fleet, I do most things from the fleet, I rarely visit my ship, so blowing a load of money for a convenience item that isn't all that convenient just doesn't make sense.

    Just because I have nothing to spend my money on, I'm not going to spend it on something worthless. I could buy a Korrealis mount, I don't want one, just because I can afford it, I'm not going to get it.

    The training dummies - MAYBE. It depends entirely upon how busy the public ones are. If they're always busy, sure, 500k isn't too much to be able to do that in peace. But it really just depends on how busy things are, and how annoyed I get.

    Emergency Fleet Pass and Quick Travel? Considering EFP is 18 hours, it can go down to 12, it's just cheaper to buy the 1k fleet pass, makes no sense. 6 Minutes off of a 30min cooldown, that honestly, now I'm 50, I barely use? Not worth it, and 6 minutes isn't a huge amount on my alts which I casually level.

    The Rocket Boost, assuming it works in Raids and Warzones, I'll buy, and all the upgrades - that feels mandatory, and I had Engineering on my Pally in WoW, so I kinda like the idea, nitro boots were always fun.


    So yeah, the only things that are even worth spending money on, in my mind are the Boost (depending on it's restrictions), and the Training Dummy - depending on how busy the public ones get.

    That's 5 Million right there. I have 6.5, that's my lot. And let's face it, Rocket Boost or saving a couple of minutes, what are you going to choose?

    Even for 500k I'd have a hard time justifying it. There's just no point. If it took half an hour to get to a GTN, and there was more reason to visit them than getting gear for my alts, then I might be tempted, but I can get to one in under 5 minutes, usually in under 1 minute, that's just not worth 5 Million.


    The 1.3 stuff though - I'd pay 5 Million for a raid repair bot. Change specs at will? I'd pay for that too, probably not 5 million though, unless it also removed the respec cost, then I'd be all over that. The experience bonuses? I'd pay a little bit for that, but levelling isn't too hard, so if it's too expensive, I'm not going to waste money on that.

    So yeah, this is a gold sink, but really, there's a limited amount of things that people are actually going to buy there, some of the rest is just far more expensive than their worth.

  8. #8
    Ok I just became a lot less interested in the legacy system due to the outrageous credit time sinks those have. Hope fully it's just placeholder credit costs, doubt it though.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Not if they have to pay 5Million.
    5 million is an alternate to unlocking it the normal way, via legacy level.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    5 million is an alternate to unlocking it the normal way, via legacy level.
    Are you 100% about that? There are other things (shown in the video even) that list:

    Unlock Requirements:
    XYZ
    Legacy level 50 (or whatever)

    Purchase Requirements:
    500,000 monies
    Legacy level 50

    That's not an actual example, but the point is, there are ones there that list an UNLOCK requirement and a separate PURCHASE requirement - meaning you can either unlock it, which costs squat, or purchase it, which costs something.

    The GTN and other things shown on that page (for the most part), only show a PURCHASE requirement though. There isn't any UNLOCK requirement listed. Now I'm not saying that you can't unlock them, I'm just going by what the tooltips say - and the tooltip doesn't say anything about unlocking it.

    In fact, the Purchase requirement not only lists Credits, it lists a Legacy level too, implying you need to be that level AND pay money. If it was just an unlock requirement it should be formatted like the others:


    Unlock Requirement:
    Legacy Level 25

    Purchase Requirement:
    5Million Credits

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Are you 100% about that? There are other things (shown in the video even) that list:
    Yes. Georg posted that you would not need to unlock anything AND pay money. The buying of legacy stuff was merely an alternate way for people who had the money to spend and did not want to level alts etc.

  12. #12
    Looking forward to this update! Yeah you don't have to make a level 50 of every class to gain all the perks to be better in end game/pvp those perks are just to help out in leveling or solo play only.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    Yes. Georg posted that you would not need to unlock anything AND pay money. The buying of legacy stuff was merely an alternate way for people who had the money to spend and did not want to level alts etc.
    I couldn't find the original off-hand, but I did find someone else who quoted the original for me:

    Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller

    [...]

    And let me make this clear, since there's some confusion about it:

    The system allows you to unlock things EITHER via achieving the unlock condition (e.g. reaching chapter 2 in a specific class, reaching a specific PvP rank, etc) OR by paying credits. It is not both.

    The credit option exists so players can enjoy content that they know they would never unlock in regular play (e.g. 'I'd love a pureblood Smuggler, but no way I'll level a Sith Warrior just for that').

    Some things (like legacy class abilities) cannot be purchased with credits while other things can only be purchased (not unlocked) but are gated by legacy level (e.g. the GTN for your ship requires you to have a high legacy level before you can purchase it).
    It looks like to pay the credits, you need the legacy level. That way you can not just roll a toon on a new server, buy credits from X-website, then purchase all your legacy.
    Last edited by Koalachan; 2012-03-22 at 06:08 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    In fact, the Purchase requirement not only lists Credits, it lists a Legacy level too, implying you need to be that level AND pay money. If it was just an unlock requirement it should be formatted like the others:
    I originally thought it was going to be unlocked via legacy level or credits, but apparently, like you said, some require both. I was ambivalent about that idea when I first saw it, but I suppose it will only add to the rarity of certain legacy perks.

    I heard many people who were complaining early in the game that credits were too easy to come by (though it seems this was the vocal minority as evidenced by the graphs Georg brought to the Summit). I guess now we know what all those credits are for.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by WindfallProphet View Post
    I originally thought it was going to be unlocked via legacy level or credits, but apparently, like you said, some require both. I was ambivalent about that idea when I first saw it, but I suppose it will only add to the rarity of certain legacy perks.

    I heard many people who were complaining early in the game that credits were too easy to come by (though it seems this was the vocal minority as evidenced by the graphs Georg brought to the Summit). I guess now we know what all those credits are for.
    It's a combination of both. You can unlock say, a species via leveling to 50, boom you now have that species. OR you can get to legacy level 8, then pay credits and boom you now have that species. The list of the legacy unlocks shows some things that work in conjunction, and somethings that don't.

    For example:
    Legacy of Combat: Punch – Unlocks the unarmed combat function. Unlockable for 10,000 credits, legacy level 5, Valor rank level 5
    Legacy of Combat: Jab – Unlockable for 15,000 credits, legacy level 8, valor rank 10
    Legacy of Combat: Uppercut – Unlockable for 20,000 credits, legacy level 10,valor rank 15
    Legacy of Combat: Bash – Unlockable for 25,000 credits, legacy level 15,valor rank

    I got to Valor rank 5 on pts, I instantly got that ability. I'm lvl 20 right now, have no legacy, and certainly didn't pay 10k creds, but I have punch, jab, and uppercut.

  16. #16
    What about the things I was talking about, Koalachan? If you watch the video, there are many tooltips that list multiple ways to acquire it, Unlock Requirements XYZ, and then Purchase Requirements XYZ, but then there are also ones that only have Purchase Requirements, so what I want to know is - are you sure that those ones can also be unlocked? Because regardless of what was said, in the PTS right now, they can only be unlocked by Purchasing, so it would be nice for the clarification is all.






    Quote Originally Posted by WindfallProphet View Post
    I heard many people who were complaining early in the game that credits were too easy to come by (though it seems this was the vocal minority as evidenced by the graphs Georg brought to the Summit). I guess now we know what all those credits are for.
    It's not that credits are hard to obtain, there's just no reason to obtain them. I think the main reason why 84% have less than 1 Million credits is because there's no reason to farm them, other than "just because". The mounts are the only thing that are expensive before 1.2, and none of the purchasable ones look all that great that a load of people will be clamouring for them.

    I've been between 5-6 Million since about two weeks after I hit 50, that was when I had gotten three items from the dailies - I kept going for a little while, but quickly got bored. I've managed to maintain roughly the same amount of money now by just selling random items I've acquired through playing, you know, diplomacy materials, crew missions, items and so on. I've managed to get to 6.4 now, but that's only because I've been playing a lot more lately - I've been levelling another alt (professions were already levelled ages ago, so it's just making money), I've been playing more Warzones, which again, is just easy money (from the WZ directly, and the dailies/weeklies, and I buy centurion set pieces and sell them back for money too). So that's about 700k I gained in a couple of weeks, just from playing, and not spending, aside from Raid repairs.

    So yeah, I think most people don't have many credits because dailies aren't all that fun to keep doing over and over, and there's not much need to keep making credits. Of course there are those players running around with less than 100k who are always poor, but let's face it, those players usually spend any money as soon as they get it, or they're raiders who only have enough time raid but not farm, or because they're respeccing every day, or well, there's a variety of reasons, but you get the point - it's not because it's hard to make credits, it's because there's some other factor.

    If you look at the amount of credits you get from the dailies, you can make a million credits in under a week just from the dailies, and that's not some fabrication, and it's not like there's some hidden secret payment there that you have to pay that is going to make that million turn into only 100k, you might spend a bit on repair bills by doing the quests and taking damage, but it's a million credits in a week, of JUST dailies. If you spend 2-300k a week on respeccing, and then a similar amount on repairs, it's not a surprise there's not much left, but that doesn't make it hard to make credits, those people just need to play differently if they want to get credits.

    I'm only saying all this to point out that if you want to make credits in this game, you can, and easily. For a while I was doing dailies with both my level 50s, but it was when my second just hit 50. I was blowing my credits on new gear, switching several mods every other day from gear I was getting, and other things like upgrading my second character's inventory, I came out of those few weeks with no real gain in credits overall, I'd gained loads, but I'd also spent excessively. It's easy to just blow 1,2,300k just on switching some mods around, if you're doing that for companions too, it's going to get crazy.

    TLDR:
    Making Credits in this game IS easy. Spending them is also really really easy. Not spending them is a little harder, thus actually coming out with a gain isn't going to be so easy for everyone.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    What about the things I was talking about, Koalachan? If you watch the video, there are many tooltips that list multiple ways to acquire it, Unlock Requirements XYZ, and then Purchase Requirements XYZ, but then there are also ones that only have Purchase Requirements, so what I want to know is - are you sure that those ones can also be unlocked? Because regardless of what was said, in the PTS right now, they can only be unlocked by Purchasing, so it would be nice for the clarification is all.
    Things that are unlocked via legacy level must then be purchased. Things that are unlocked via completing X chapter, or level Y toon to 50 do not need to be purchased. Some things can be level Y toon to 50 OR level to X legacy and purchase.

  18. #18
    Well I think some of that stuff is pretty cool and I have a lvl 50 of all the empire classes but I feel like my legacy level 36 wont be fully useful till 1.3
    It needs to be 20% cooler.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    5 million is an alternate to unlocking it the normal way, via legacy level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    Things that are unlocked via legacy level must then be purchased. Things that are unlocked via completing X chapter, or level Y toon to 50 do not need to be purchased. Some things can be level Y toon to 50 OR level to X legacy and purchase.
    I'm not trying to be awkward here, but now it seems like you're saying two conflicting things.

    First you say you don't have to pay 5 Million, you just get the legacy level, next you say You must still purchase something after getting to the appropriate legacy level.

    The latter seems more likely, I'm just trying to be clear here, since you stated this, I just want to be clear if that was a mistake or if I'm actually missing something here.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    I'm not trying to be awkward here, but now it seems like you're saying two conflicting things.

    First you say you don't have to pay 5 Million, you just get the legacy level, next you say You must still purchase something after getting to the appropriate legacy level.

    The latter seems more likely, I'm just trying to be clear here, since you stated this, I just want to be clear if that was a mistake or if I'm actually missing something here.
    What I'm seeing from the video:
    Class / Companion stuff appear to be unlocked ONLY by completing Chapter 1/2/3 / completing that companion's quests
    Species appear to be unlocked by EITHER leveling a character of that race to level 50 OR having a Legacy Level of 5 and buying them for 500k/1.5M each
    Alignment appear to be unlocked by EITHER leveling a character to 50 while Dark 5, Light 5, or Neutral (between Dark 1 & Light 1) OR having Legacy Level 10 and buying them for 250K each
    Ship & Convenience unlocks appear to ONLY be available by being the required Legacy Level and spending the required amount of credits
    Valor unlocks appear to require BOTH a Legacy Level and Valor Rank, with NO purchase price to get them sooner
    Social appear to unlock by EITHER the required Social Rank OR a required Legacy Level and buying them

    Personally, I want to know how the companion ones work. Do they (heaven forbid) stack? If you complete one of each character, with full companion affection & missions complete, is that (((10 x 5) x 4) x2) = 400 Presence for all characters? That seems like it would go a long way to helping solo content....

    Then again, there's no telling just what will be necessary until people get their Legacy level up on the PTS and see if the locks disappear without needing to buy with credits.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •