15+ Year Old Account

Amazing. Protien Strands organize into patterns

This is the kind of stuff I geek out on.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene..._from_disorder

So could there be a practical application for this? Could manipulating proteins to do what we want be a possible cure for cancers or tumors?

I'm not sure I understand the applications of this, but knowing scientific progress, this is a step towards great things.

IT'S AAALLIIVVEEE! *thunder*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the applications of this, but knowing scientific progress, this is a step towards great things.
    so basically.. if they can control these proteins in a predictable way, we can engineer proteins that can focus an attack on tumours and cancer. It's one step shy of creating nanobots that do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    This is the kind of stuff I geek out on.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene..._from_disorder

So could there be a practical application for this? Could manipulating proteins to do what we want be a possible cure for cancers or tumors?
    Don't viruses originate like this as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, of course it was found by the Japanese :-P Best country in the world for research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    A virus is what it is. if we can manipulate proteins to attack these viruses then we're on top. If we can attack things like AIDS, addisons, Scleroderma.. the list is vast.

I might be wrong, but this sort of research seams to be a huge breakthrough to me.

While I can certainly understand the benefits of control, I am not so sure that is what is being offered here.
    An interesting result, but I am still not sure as to the practical implementations of effectively making them spin around by themselves.
    Perhaps just missing something due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    A virus is what it is. if we can manipulate proteins to attack these viruses then we're on top. If we can attack things like AIDS, addisons, Scleroderma.. the list is vast.

I might be wrong, but this sort of research seams to be a huge breakthrough to me.
    It seems to be an observation of the weird, quasi-biological mechanics that separate life from animated matter. More rudimentary than rudimentary, so to speak. Very interesting indeed, like all new ground to tread.

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    While I can certainly understand the benefits of control, I am not so sure that is what is being offered here.
    An interesting result, but I am still not sure as to the practical implementations of effectively making them spin around by themselves.
    The spinning is indicative of the patterns and organizations that contribute to life on a more complex scale. It's sort of like a building block to a building block. It isn't useful in and of itself, but rather, what it could lead to eventually.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-03-28 at 04:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Nah I'm in the same boat. I'm not a biochemist. I'm just extrapolating on what has been done. Controlling and manipulating protiens is out ticket to great health and immortality. Not to get sci-fi.. but this is reall the ground floor for people who want to avoid disease and live forever.

We do this already. Ever heard of Insulin or Human Growth Hormone?

If you guys really care, wouldn't it be easier to read and actually understand? Instead of just hyping up things you don't understand.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

If you guys really care, wouldn't it be easier to read and actually understand? Instead of just hyping up things you don't understand.
    oof.. sorry for bringing a topic beyond some troll bullshit to the forums. If you have something to add then please contribute.

10+ Year Old Account

That's just talk. There's a big difference between using something that occurs naturally, and manipulating something at the most fundamental level we understand. I thought this was "really deep in the cracks" so to speak. No need to deconstruct.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    That's just talk. There's a big difference between using something that occurs naturally, and manipulating something at the most fundamental level we understand. I thought this was "really deep in the cracks" so to speak. No need to deconstruct.
    Human Growth Hormone is used to treat stunted growth. Naturally occurring HGH has a short half life on the order of an hour. People undergoing treatment (with natural HGH) would have to take injections on the order of every 2 hours. Requiring this large amount of treatment was extraordinarily expensive until a modified version of HGH was developed. A lab discovered that by adding 5 alanines (I think) to the end of the HGH sequence, the protein had increased stability so treatment would only be necessary once every 24h. This dramatically reduced the cost of HGH treatment.

The idea of using proteins to treat disease is nothing new. Modified protein pharmaceuticals exist. So do other smaller chemicals treatments. How do you think most narcotics are made? They are generally not harvested from plants or other sources. That would be too expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Human Growth Hormone is used to treat stunted growth. Naturally occurring HGH has a short half life on the order of an hour. People undergoing treatment (with natural HGH) would have to take injections on the order of every 2 hours. Requiring this large amount of treatment was extraordinarily expensive until a modified version of HGH was developed. A lab discovered that by adding 5 alanines (I think) to the end of the HGH sequence, the protein had increased stability so treatment would only be necessary once every 24h. This dramatically reduced the cost of HGH treatment.

The idea of using proteins to treat disease is nothing new. Modified protein pharmaceuticals exist. So do other smaller chemicals treatments. How do you think most narcotics are made? They are generally not harvested from plants or other sources. That would be too expensive.
    I knew it was synthesized and manufactured rather than being merely harvested, but I didn't realize it was modified to any extent. I still think this is interesting for the level of intricacy being observed. This seems more fundamental than creating a new sequence for medical use.

Deleted
    Our bodies already do this:
    With the cell there is a cytoskeleton made up of actin filaments, due to external factors it causes these filaments to grow in one direct placing pressure on the cell membrane in a given direction moving the cell. This is what causes things like white blood cells to move throughout the body. The cells also use these filaments to allow them to engulf bacteria.