Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I was above average for my age when i started school, but my problem was, my parents, both bilinguil both kept switching languages when talking to me with the idea that i would learn both, plus the nanny spoke a third language, so by the time i reached school, i came to the conclusion that in my mind, all three were the same and it didn't matter what language the words i chose to use were in as clearly my parents understood me and i understood myself, sadly my own little made up language didn't fare too well at school where no-one understood a word i said.

Fast forward 15 years at high school i kept getting bored. I enjoy it immensely if something is hard to do, but once i figure out how to finish the first hard problem, i'd instantly loose interest and not do the rest of the problems of similar level, but since i showed an ability to solve the problems, none of the teachers encouraged me to complete the work.

Fast forward another 5 years, I find it immensely difficult for anything to keep my interest for any extended period of time. It has reached the point where just in typing this post i had alt tabbed three times to google things and check other forums.

Moral of the story, encourage your kids to be able to sit through menial tasks and stay focused.
    Sir I feel your pain. i ended up dropping out/being expelled from school because I found the courses catered to monkeys. I would fly through my assignments then have nothing to do. The "teachers" wouldn't let me help others, put my head down , or do anything constructive so I ended up becoming extremely rebellious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookforluna View Post
    Sir I feel your pain. i ended up dropping out/being expelled from school because I found the courses catered to monkeys. I would fly through my assignments then have nothing to do. The "teachers" wouldn't let me help others, put my head down , or do anything constructive so I ended up becoming extremely rebellious.
    Heh, good thing we have special things for him.

I take him aside sometimes to read a book of his choosing (well actually he reads it) and he gets extra hard exercises and such.

Though I think we could stimulate him much more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Heh, good thing we have special things for him.

I take him aside sometimes to read a book of his choosing (well actually he reads it) and he gets extra hard exercises and such.

Though I think we could stimulate him much more.
    Give him Dickens and a dictionary. That's what I did at 5.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    OCD is the best thing in the world, at least the milder sorts.
    Not when it keeps you awake at night

<getting ready for sleeping and lie down in bed> Err.. did I lock the door? <get up and check door to see if it's locked and then back to bed> ... Did I unlock the door while checking if it's locked? <get up from bed and check again, see door is locked and go back to bed again> ... did i really lock the door? <get up again, unlock the door and lock it and then grab handle to make sure it's locked> Definitely locked now. <go back to bed> ... Did I turn off the oven after dinner? <get up and check oven>

and on it goes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GDX View Post
    Not when it keeps you awake at night

<getting ready for sleeping and lie down in bed> Err.. did I lock the door? <get up and check door to see if it's locked and then back to bed> ... Did I unlock the door while checking if it's locked? <get up from bed and check again, see door is locked and go back to bed again> ... did i really lock the door? <get up again, unlock the door and lock it and then grab handle to make sure it's locked> Definitely locked now. <go back to bed> ... Did I turn off the oven after dinner? <get up and check oven>

and on it goes.
    That's rather more severe OCD, that type is almost always associated with other disorders such anxiety.

How do you know their IQ? Or are you just guessing who is the most intellectual

Pure, Alliance Turalyon EU 8/8 25 HC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebonzai! View Post
    How do you know their IQ? Or are you just guessing who is the most intellectual
    Well they are put in groups, blue for the less intelligent kids, green for the normal intellect kids and red group for above average.

Ofcourse they don't know this at all and are just under the impression that the groups are there so that they are organized and the teacher can make each group do something else. + it's colours so they don't question it. :P

So why is being childish bad thing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    So why is being childish bad thing?
    Hmm I don't remember typing this.

What are you talking about?

Well they are put in groups, blue for the less intelligent kids, green for the normal intellect kids and red group for above average.

Ofcourse they don't know this at all and are just under the impression that the groups are there so that they are organized and the teacher can make each group do something else. + it's colours so they don't question it. :P
    No my question was how do you know what kid is intellectual. Intellect is a very difficult thing to measure and only with professional testing could you be sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebonzai! View Post
    No my question was how do you know what kid is intellectual. Intellect is a very difficult thing to measure and only with professional testing could you be sure.
    I am just going by their group colors, the teacher knows by all the things they did over the year I guess.

I don't know myself how much testing has been done, but some obvious things are clear, the people in the blue group are noticeably less intelligent than the green ones and the green ones than the red ones.

Though the teacher said she had given up on this system recently and they are just groups now, but they are still in the respective color groups as a remnant.

Also the gifted kid was professionally tested yes.

Deleted
    Pretty cool post, thanks.

I'm at the age where a lot of my extended family are starting to have kids, and its fun to see how different they are at various ages.
    There's a one year old who can manage only the simplest of block arrangements and hasn't really grasped jigsaws yet, and a two year old who builds great big towers and flies through the puzzles. Even the development of mobility, from barely being able to roll over, to crawling, to walking while holding furniture, to walking unsteadily, all the way up to running around like a lunatic. Kids are just awesome!

I am just going by their group colors, the teacher knows by all the things they did over the year I guess.

I don't know myself how much testing has been done, but some obvious things are clear, the people in the blue group are noticeably less intelligent than the green ones and the green ones than the red ones.

Though the teacher said she had given up on this system recently and they are just groups now, but they are still in the respective color groups as a remnant.

Also the gifted kid was professionally tested yes.
    How do YOU define intellect?

Deleted
    Thread reminded me of this epic pic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
    Pretty sure something like 99% of the population has the capability of genius leveling cognitive ability as a child (around 6 years of age). It's only unfortunate that this level deteriorates as children grow older.
    It's like language. You're only able to easily learn it when you're too young to care.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, wait until/if you have your own kids. I used to work with 3-5 year olds, but just watching a little blog that poops and cries all day turn into this little almost-person who can run around and kinda talk is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I just realized the meaning behind your avatar.

/shiver

Just a side comment on this: an IQ test is not a reliable indicator of intelligence. All an IQ test really measures is your ability to do IQ tests.

Got an extended family too but don't see the babies/young kids that often, personally don't like them kids... until they're 7 or 8, then it gets fun. but before that I'm not a big fan of them, as matter of fact, I'm so absent minded to young kids I must be the one who trips over them or just shove them away.