Deleted

Water/land combat

Just had a thunk (it hurt ;p)

Weapons & skills change dependant on if we`re on land or water.

If I`m in water in a pvp/pve zone & I`m being attacked by someone/thing on land, can water weapons/skills hit those on land or am I screwed?

You can always move out of range and force them into the water, or move back on land, if you can't.

Considering how important positioning is in GW2 I'd say, yes, lure them into the water or take the fight to them.
    I do not know if weapons can be fired on land when ur underwater...
    ...but I'm pretty sure you can just surface and fire off ur normal land-based skills. It's only when you actually go underwater that the skills activate.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Considering how important positioning is in GW2 I'd say, yes, lure them into the water or take the fight to them.
    I do not know if weapons can be fired on land when ur underwater...
    ...but I'm pretty sure you can just surface and fire off ur normal land-based skills. It's only when you actually go underwater that the skills activate.
    When you're on the surface of the water you can't use underwater or land attacks.
    Your skill bars get covered in water droplets or w/e and you can't use anything.
    It was in.. some yogscast video, but I don't remember which and am too lazy to link it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that attacks on land cannot penetrate the surface of the water, at least that's what I thought was going on...

10+ Year Old Account
    You can use ranged underwater weapon skills on targets that are on land.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    When you're on the surface of the water you can't use underwater or land attacks.
    Your skill bars get covered in water droplets or w/e and you can't use anything.
    It was in.. some yogscast video, but I don't remember which and am too lazy to link it.
    Blast! Ok then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Well, there u go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    This ^, every profession has access to a ranged weapon & a melee weapon while under water.

Some professions even have access to death grip like abilities with their underwater melee weapon, so if the person is in range you could easily yank them off the land & down there with you.

If all else fails line of sight is also going to be a major factor in GW2 battles. Most projectiles WILL NOT follow you meaning if there is anything or anyone that you can duck behind then said projectiles wont hit you.
    (which is going to make sniping people in PVP with professions like the thief very fun)
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-03-28 at 08:21 AM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure that attacks on land cannot penetrate the surface of the water, at least that's what I thought was going on...
    One of the Yogscast videos (the one involving a Charr submarine) shows a rifle firing at (and drawing onto land) underwater mobs.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what happens if you are on land and fire ranged attacks at underwater enemies which are not amphibic? Easy kill or will they become invulnerable like WoW does with it's "Evade" mechanic?

Deleted
    I *think* you could just kill them but most of the mobs were a fair way into the water and not just right next to the bank so you wouldn't be able to do this very efficiently. The underwater combat is great and definately works better than in WoW - helps loads that the new spear/trident skills are epic

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure that the dev TB talked to at Gamescom 2011 said that they wouldn't punish players for positioning themselves in a place that would be unreachable for the mob. So I reckon it'd be an easy kill... assuming you'd be able to find non-amphibian enemies that close to the shore.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could attack them and leave the water afterwards, but it might actually be faster to just kill them in the water

Deleted
    Hmm, noticed the land/water difference in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGHlH...8bFUAAAAAAAFAA

When on surface you get neither skill set. Guess it`s a case of swimming away until they forget about you & creeping back onto solid ground when you get the chance. Couldn`t tell if you can see above the surface when under, so pot luck with range he