Thread: Lost Odyssey

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lost Odyssey

So when I purchased my 360, this game came with it, however at the time I didn't have the time to really get into a long JRPG.

Been missing the JRPG's lately, and after playing through FFIV and VI recently I'd like to play one I've not played.

Is Lost Odyssey worth the time (80+ hours) story-wise? Is the combat system fun/innovative or more of the same old stuff? What is there to recommend this game over something like Blue Dragon?

Deleted
    I have not played Blue Dragon so I can't compare the two but I have played LO.

Story-wise the game is pretty good, the combat system is your standard turn-based type and the ring target system is kind of like trying to get the timing of the Gunblade in FF8. If you liked the older FF games you will enjoy this one, voice acting though is alright as well.

In my opinion what made the game enjoyable was the 1000 year stories you could find, short stories you read depicting the past of the main character (plus a couple of others). Those are considered extras to the game than needed for the main quest though.

One thing though, if you are going to try for the seed achievement just print a guide and find them as you go along. Trust me on that. -.-

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed blue dragon so much , to be honest I bought lost odyssey and I quit after 7 hours

Got to disc 2 (out of 4) before losing interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    It's not bad by any means, but there are better JRPG options. Tales of Vesperia and Dark Souls come to mind.
    How does Dark Souls come across as a JRPG?

It is surely a Western RPG mixed with Action game...

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Dark Souls is Japanese, and an RPG. JRPG.
    So every RPG made in Japan has to be a JRPG, and the naming of the genre isn't related to the different combat/exploration screens? Also big hair, but I digress...

Oh well. I've played ToV and I agree that it was a good game

As JRPGS go its easily one of the best out there. The story line is really really good. It's one of two game that literally made me bawl like a baby. It was so well done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please get nier.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Please get nier.
    Why? I want a JRPG not an Action/RPG game. I'd just start a new guy in KoR:R if I did.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Why? I want a JRPG not an Action/RPG game. I'd just start a new guy in KoR:R if I did.
    It's a square enix game, of course it's a jrpg. Androgynous protagonist and all. Though they changed that in the american version. Either way, it has the best ost you'll ever hear in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    It's a square enix game, of course it's a jrpg. Androgynous protagonist and all. Though they changed that in the american version. Either way, it has the best ost you'll ever hear in a game.
    You realise that Square-Enix published Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, right? Just because Square-Enix publishes something does not make it a JRPG. They distributed Just Cause 2, which was not a JRPG. :P

Nier is an Action-RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are amazing modern era turn based RPGs but I liked Blue Dragon a bit more just because I got a really strong SNES era RPG feel from it with the characters and music and story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Both are amazing modern era turn based RPGs but I liked Blue Dragon a bit more just because I got a really strong SNES era RPG feel from it with the characters and music and story.
    Hmmm interesting. Now I don't know which to play. Better do both.

Thanks to all the replies.

Both games were pretty good. Blue dragon is slightly different with the world map mechanics because you can choose the fights. I enjoyed both but Blue Dragon was just a bit more enjoyable.

As someone who has completed Lost Odyssey 100%, (yes, even that treasure seeker bullshit) I've got to say, it's very good. The story is amazing, and reminds me a lot of the PS1 era Final Fantasy games, which is not surprising considering Hironobu Sakaguchi made it, you know, the lead designer for Final Fantasy 1-10. Sakaguchi also made Blue Dragon though.

If you despise Blue Dragon, you probably won't like Lost Odyssey. They're similar games, but Lost Odyssey feels like more refined. Lost Odyssey is also less childish, and doesn't contain as many JRPG cliches. I enjoyed the entire game, but for me, the best part was the ending. When I finished the game, the epilogue nearly made me cry, (I'm a manly man that doesn't afraid of anything) and that was when I realized that I'd just finished a masterpiece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well worth it compared to the atrocity final fantasy has turned into, combat is a bit bland but a really epic story. The best part are the memories though they're absolutely well written.

Deleted
    Also if you want a laugh, see if you recognise the Rugrats that appear when you play far enough.
    Also this, can mute if you want but the Game intro is pretty great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1n_QPsoow
    Last edited by mmoc9e3d3339e1; 2012-03-28 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    As someone who has completed Lost Odyssey 100%, (yes, even that treasure seeker bullshit) I've got to say, it's very good. The story is amazing, and reminds me a lot of the PS1 era Final Fantasy games, which is not surprising considering Hironobu Sakaguchi made it, you know, the lead designer for Final Fantasy 1-10. Sakaguchi also made Blue Dragon though.

If you despise Blue Dragon, you probably won't like Lost Odyssey. They're similar games, but Lost Odyssey feels like more refined. Lost Odyssey is also less childish, and doesn't contain as many JRPG cliches. I enjoyed the entire game, but for me, the best part was the ending. When I finished the game, the epilogue nearly made me cry, (I'm a manly man that doesn't afraid of anything) and that was when I realized that I'd just finished a masterpiece.
    This. Lost Odyssey is one of the few JPGS since the PS1 that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I would also recommend getting the dungeon DLC (forget the name). It's a fairly good challenge with a great boss fight at the end (read: supercheese). The overall story is solid, memories are well done, combat is fairly solid (though a bit gimmicky with the target mini-game thing), and the characters are quite a bit more down to earth than most other JRPGs. Off the top of my head I cannot think of anything that I disliked in the game, and I have it 100%.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lost Odyssey is about as generic JPRG as you can get. Story and characters are decent at best, battle system is totally generic, etc. Not a BAD game, but nothing special either.

(On an unrelated side note, I don't think I've ever seen another game make me play a funeral mini-game before)