Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question GW Veterans: Voice communications?

In GW what did people use as their voice chat? Was Ventrilo the standard as it is in WoW? I am starting a guild and want to know which service is used the most in GW so that I can be ready for GW2.

Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by callaleonard View Post
    In GW what did people use as their voice chat? Was Ventrilo the standard as it is in WoW? I am starting a guild and want to know which service is used the most in GW so that I can be ready for GW2.

Much appreciated!
    I actually recall using TS way more than vent during most of my time playing GW. That being said I think TS is a piece of garbage and the standard in today's world seems to be vent for everything. I see and hear of very few people using TS still.

Deleted
    Mumble is just superior compared to ventrilo, try it out.

Worth noting that TS3 has been largely reworked, and is much better then TS2 (which was often called garbage).

So if you have your own server on which you can install server software, use TS3 or Mumble. If you want to pay for server and/or and need some ventrilo-specific add-ons or configurations, then you can always rent a ventrilo server, or rent mumble/TS3 server (usually cheaper then ventrilo server).

Quality-wise it's currently Mumble first, and TS3 and Ventrilo 3 sharing the second spot.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guild uses Teamspeak since pretty much forever, currently in version 3. Almost all other voice chats I've been on related to WoW were Teamspeak, as well. It might be a region/language specific thing, I'm from Germany.
    Oh, and I don't think it's garbage. It actually supports a wide array of codecs and is easy to administrate.

10+ Year Old Account
    The alliance i'm in uses Ventrillo, i'd suggest just getting ventrillo due to most people having it just because of how popular it is in other games as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    My guild uses Teamspeak since pretty much forever, currently in version 3. Almost all other voice chats I've been on related to WoW were Teamspeak, as well. It might be a region/language specific thing, I'm from Germany.
    Oh, and I don't think it's gargabe. It actually supports a wide array of codecs and is easy to administrate.
    "Garbage" is relic from TS2 days, when it had problems with configuration and random switching to low quality codecs every once in a while making it sound terrible.

It has been long fixed, but I guess some of the reputation stuck with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    "Garbage" is relic from TS2 days, when it had problems with configuration and random switching to low quality codecs every once in a while making it sound terrible.

It has been long fixed, but I guess some of the reputation stuck with it.
    lol omg i remember those days, i haven't used team speak since the update though, no one i know uses it, they all use either vent or mumble... *shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Mumble > TS3 > Skype > TS2 > TS1 > Voice Conferencing on a cell phone > Cups with strings > Vent.

Mumble and TS3 are by far the more superior voice programs available. Definitely check out either one of them and you wont be disappointed.

Not like it's GW/GW2-related, but I use Dolby Axon for Minecraft. It's pretty un-heard of, but it's free (like Mumble) and comes with the added bonus of being a Dolby product, you know those Surround Sound people? Yeah, so IMO, the sound is the best of the voice servers (I've used Teamspeak3, Ventrilio, Mumble and Dolby).

You get a 'grid' as a chat 'room.' Think of it like a tiled floor. When you 'enter' your Icon goes to the center and you can 'walk about the floor' as you wish. Depending on what way you face depends on how others hear you: Right or Left channel, or not at all (if your 'back' is turned to them).

There's also a text chat, too.

So yeah. Dolby is by FAR the most superior of the Voice Products. It's just, nobody knows about it :P

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    lol omg i remember those days, i haven't used team speak since the update though, no one i know uses it, they all use either vent or mumble... *shrugs*
    We lost at least two top tier GvG matches because I (caller) would jump to ultra low quality speex and become unintelligible according to others. So I can identify with "garbage".

I know several fairly high level WoW guilds on Ravencrest-EU that used TS3, and it worked fine when I joined them there during "friends" raids. My WoW guild ran Mumble.

Notably they even have murmur (mumble server) that can run on openWRT routers nowadays, so you don't even need a server for it. Just install it into your router. Don't know how stable it is, but I hear it's pretty decent for something that doesn't even need a discreet PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet sounds like I am going with ventrilo again.

Thanks for the help.

None of the three major voice chats (mumble, TS, ventrilo) are garbage.
    Anyone who thinks so is misinformed or couldn't get used to another of the three after switching (or is living in the past, way back when TS2 was sub-par).
    Anyways, I think I used TS when I played GW1. Can't really remember though.
    I've been in CoD vents, CoD TSs, GW vents, GW TSs.. WoW seems to be in the minority as far as having a 'standard' voice chat program goes (as long as we're not counting skype, for arenas).
    That being said, Vent will probably become the standard, as most MMO players have played WoW where it is the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    So yeah. Dolby is by FAR the most superior of the Voice Products. It's just, nobody knows about it :P
    Dolby's license costs an arm and a leg, which is why their products are reserved for costlier solutions. I say it as someone who has Dolby Digital EX in his discreet soundcard and Dolby Digital Pro Logic 2 deck powering his 5.1 speaker setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would assume that, although TS may've been the primary VoIP client when GW2 was around, people would have moved on over the past years to something better. From what I read, more people are going to be playing GW2 and never got involved or very far in GW1; so old VoIP clients won't mean a thing to them anyway. Vent or Mumble will probably be the way to go.

If I may give a suggestion, I'd say go with Mumble. It's 10x better than Vent and the only thing that I found Mumble can't do that Vent can is automatically move idle people to an AFK channel. Otherwise Mumble's features and quality surpass Vent by a large margin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    I remember using Ventrilo the most when I did Heroes' Ascent and Team Arenas regularly.

I found something curious a while back though. You can see NCSoft's logo on this list of customers with a "To Be Announced" label. I'm wondering if that's for Guild Wars 2 or some other game like WildStar.

http://www.vivox.com/customers/customer-list.html
    Hmmm interesting.
    The press release about it was way back in 2008, so I can only see it's purchase by NCsoft for the now cancelled Lineage3 or GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by callaleonard View Post
    Sweet sounds like I am going with ventrilo again.

Thanks for the help.
    I would check out Mumble if I were you, It work sooooooo much better, not to mention that the prices are ~1/3rd, 1/4th the price of Vent?

10+ Year Old Account
    I used Xfire and Teamspeak back in the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

I too, have only been using ventrillo for the past 5 or 6 years, and remember TS2 being garbage. However, Team Legacy uses TS3, and when I started using it I was pretty amazed at how good it is. The UI is slick, and skinnable. The options are straightforward and numerous. I think it's better than Vent TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    I too, have only been using ventrillo for the past 5 or 6 years, and remember TS2 being garbage. However, Team Legacy uses TS3, and when I started using it I was pretty amazed at how good it is. The UI is slick, and skinnable. The options are straightforward and numerous. I think it's better than Vent TBH.
    Everything should be skinnable.
    I wish vent was.
    You can re-skin mumble and TS, wish you could reskin skype and vent.