Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me choose new peripherals

Hey guys, as my new parts continue to arrive, I'm to the point now that I need to determine which peripherals I wanna use. I know there are a million of these threads already, but I figured mine was unique and specific enough to warrant a new thread.

I need a monitor, a mouse, and a keyboard. I've narrowed down my choices, but I need help picking which of each (and I also welcome new recommendations). Please, do not suggest Razer mice, I've used them in the past and they are cheap, plastic ripoffs. They're only popular because of their partnership with Blizzard, they're not proper gaming mice.

Monitor
    1. 24" Dell Ultrasharp - I've seen this screen in person, and it is gorgeous.
    2. 23" Asus VG236H (120Hz) - Certain forum regulars (/cough Deltrus /cough) insist that I need a 120Hz to fully utilize the 680.

Mouse
    1. Logitech G9X - I like the shape of this one, and the price is lower than the Mionix.
    2. Mionix NAOS 5000 - I've heard a lot of good things, but it is kinda pricey.
    3. Logitech G500 - Again, I've heard a lot of good things, but I'm not sure I like the egg shape, my hands are pretty wide, and rounded mice tend to annoy me.

Keyboard
    This is where I'm most undecided, I really don't have a favorite, so let me list my needs/wants:

Need:
    1. Raised keys (I've been using a laptop style keyboard, and I hate it).
    2. As few macro keys as possible (I don't use them, so they just waste space and get in the way).

Want:
    1. Backlit keys.
    2. Mechanical keys

Now that those are out there, these are the boards I'm considering:

1. Corsair K60
    + Mechanical keys
    + No macro keys
    - No backlit keys

2. Corsair K90
    + Mechanical keys
    + Backlit keys
    - 3 rows of macro keys

3. Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    + Backlit keys
    + Few macro keys
    - No mechanical keys

4. CM Storm Quickfire
    + Mechanical keys
    + No macro keys
    - No backlit keys

5. Das Keyboard Professional
    + Mechanical keys
    + No macro keys
    - No backlit keys

6. Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    + Mechanical keys
    + Backlit keys
    + Few macro keys
    - Made by Razer
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-28 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    I'll give you my input on the stuff I own personally as well as some general comments:

- Well, when it comes to monitor the question is fairly "easy": do you want speed and high-performance or colour accuracy and picture quality? Pick whatever takes priority.

- Comfort and shape, as well as quality and performance, are the most important things when it comes to mice. I can only recommend the Naos 5000 if you find it worthwhile to spend a lot for just a few extra features. I'd point out the Steelseries Ikari as a "less pricy" alternative. I always point towards the G400 as the go-to mouse for gaming.

And as for the keyboards you got listed:

- The K90 isn't fully mechanical. If this is a deal-breaker even slightly you should look away. You pay a lot for aesthetics and quality - functionality really isn't that much better compared to other, cheaper options.

- The K60 is in the same boat as above, but with many of the "MMO" features removed. And of course it lacks the back-lightning which makes the K90 look amazing. I am slightly biased towards the MX Red switches so I won't comment on them.

- The Sidewinder X4 is probably the go-to budget choice for a gaming keyboard. It offers so much features and functionality for the price. For a rubber-dome, this is great.

- I can't personally recommend the BlackWidow Ultimate. I find the keys to be... well, "flimsy" and just awkward to use. It also has the Cherry MX Blue switches which are catered towards typing and not gaming (although some find them "fine" for gaming as well).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-03-28 at 04:40 PM.

- I'd say picture quality is most important. I assume that means go with the Dell?

- I had not considered the G400, it's got a pretty low dpi compared to the G500 or G9X, is that something I'll notice? The Steelseries mouse is interesting, but I'm not sure I like the shape (specifically the "thumb notch" on the right hand side).

- I know the K90 isn't fully mechanical, but it is mechanical where it counts in my opinion. Still, it is pretty expensive, and the only thing it offers over the K60 that I want is the backlighting, while also offering something I'd rather not have (the 3 rows of macro keys). And I assumed that the BlackWidow felt cheap, it's what I've come to expect from Razer... Still not sure which keyboard I'll go with, but I think it's between the K60, Sidewinder X4, CM Scout QuickFire, or the Das Keyboard.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-28 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    - Not necessarily the Dell, but to go for a monitor with an IPS panel rather than TN. The Dell is a good IPS monitor though, but there are certainly alternatives.

- Depends on what DPI you are comfortable with. I use my Naos 5000 around 1600-2200 DPI. The higher the DPI, the faster the mouse. At 5050 DPI I need to move my mouse around 1-1.5cm to travel the full length of my monitor (2560 pixels).
    The Ikari is very similar to the Naos in terms of design. The Ikari has a more aggressive forward "slope" and isn't as wide as the Naos. The bulges at the right side are also a bit smaller and tighter together on the Ikari.
    I haven't used the Ikari for any longer periods so I can't comment on the performance; check reviews and other peoples input. My friend loves it though.

- The reasons why I didn't pick the Das Keyboard:
    1. Delivery time.
    2. Swedish layout.
    3. Price.
    All the above caused minor or major issues for me which is why I took the "easy way" and went with the K90. I am extremely pleased with my purchase, but I also want people to be aware that it certainly has a few flaws or downsides (as mentioned above).

- Alright, I checked around for other IPS panels, the Dell seems to be the best price-wise (that I can find anyway).

- Is there anything wrong with the G9X? Or have you just not used one? It is still probably my favorite at this point.

- So the Das is out, it's down to the other three. I'm trying to think how much I actually use backlit keys, I'm afraid that it is the sort of thing where you don't realize how much you use it until after it is gone.

So, an update:

I've settled on the G9X, I got the chance to use the G500 at Best Buy, and while I liked it, I think I'll like the G9X more. I've also settled on the K60, the numerous macro buttons on the K90 and pricetag outweighs the backlit keys IMO. I'm also settled on the 24" Dell Ultrasharp.

Another request: I just realized that I should probably buy a gaming mouse pad, any recommendations?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't give an opinion on any of the mice, but if you are picking a keyboard and it comes down to either having Backlit vs Mechanical, please pick Mechanical. The overall feel and build quality far surpasses and aesthetic pleasure you will get from it glowing.

I have not tried any of those keyboards personally as I use a Filco Majestouch. I do have a friend with a Black Widow, as well as another with a Das and they both really like them.

If you play any games that make use of double tapping you might prefer investing in a board with Brown instead of Blue switches, as I hear they can have problems with that(then again, lots of people say it doesn't cause any problem for them).

If you MUST have backlit + Mechanical, then go for the Black Widow or K90. But if you have the option to get one, definitely get a mechanical.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    cross the cm storm quickfire off your list if you feel like the razer feels too cheap, the quickfire is considerably cheaper feeling imo.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You've really got to go to the store and play around with them to get a good feeling for them. I had a Logitech MX Revolution for a while until it finally broke. It was actually the copper charging connectors that rubbed off from so much use so it stopped charging. Anyways, I now have the Logitech G700 and I love all the extra buttons. I used to use about 6 extra buttons from the old mouse but now I have 8 extra for a total of 11 mouse buttons.

I'm pretty big on keybinding as much stuff as possible to my mouse with ctrl, shift and alt modifiers.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh sure, drag me into this. Why youuu....

But really, you better get a 2560x1440/1600 IPS monitor. ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Trying to decide on a decent, affordable set of headphones.

There's the obvious choice in the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, but I'm not sure I wanna spend ~$100 on headphones, I just don't think I'll use them enough to justify the expenditure.

For alternatives, I've come up with the following (so far):
    JVC HA-RX700 @ $39.99
    Skullcandy HESH @ $44.99
    JVC HA-RX900 @ $54.99
    Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs @ $78.99 on sale (not sure if these are PC compatible, I can't tell what kind of audio jack that is)

Ideally, they'd be over-the-ear, open-air (so that I can hear what's going on around me and so that my ears don't get uncomfortably hot) headphones, but I can't find many pairs that fulfill both criteria, and the ones that I do either cost the same as the first pair of Audio Technicas or are more expensive. As of right now, I'm leaning toward the last two in the list, but I'm not sure if either are any good.

Help!
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-02 at 02:31 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I said on Facebook and will repeat here, the 700s, or if you're wanting cheaper, the other Audio-Technicas. I personally am not a big fan of JVC or Skull Candy.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs @ $78.99 on sale (not sure if these are PC compatible, I can't tell what kind of audio jack that is)
    "Connector: 6.3mm"

Too large for standard connectors. You'll need an adapter, or a card like the Xonar ST(X).

Deleted
    From my own experience stay away from skull candy imo, your only really paying for the tag.

Your best bet is a pair of pioneers or technics if your looking for a good strong reliable brand.

I can't Post links atm as I'm on my phone by I'll link you some when I get home that I use for dj'ing

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Too large for standard connectors. You'll need an adapter, or a card like the Xonar ST(X).
    If I buy said adapter, will I experience any annoying sounds like crackling because of it?

I can give some insight as I have the ASUS 120hz, Mionix 3200 and Das Keyboard Ultimate S Silent.

The ASUS I've had for about 3 months now, and so far has been a great monitor. The picture is very crisp, didn't notice any bleeding around the edges, and no dead pixels either (I got the Amazon extended warranty just in case, however). The default settings are bright, but of course that can be changed.

The Mionix has been a pleasure to game with. Now, if the addition of extra LEDs and adjustable weights is worth the $20-$30 dollar difference I say go for the 5000, but to me it wasn't, and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've got fairly large hands, and so far I haven't been having any pains or cramps after long gaming sessions like I did with my Naga. The ergonomics are awesome.

I love my Das Keyboard. It's heavy, for a keyboard, and even being the "silent" model still has a fairly loud (not as bad as the blue switches of the Professional) that is music to my ears. It's great to type and game on. I opted for the blank keys since I never look at my keyboard anyways and I have no regrets. I can't even imagine how loud the Professional is in person. I would youtube some comparison videos and judge for yourself.

Thanks for the input everyone. =)

These just went up for sale on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826402027

Seems like the next best things to the 700s, they're open-air, over-the-ear. =D

Deleted
    Here are some of those links i said i would send =P

I currently use these : Pioneer HDJ-500-W

they give a very crisp sound and i dont see why they would be no good for gaming.

Also these are the Technics ones : Technics RP-DJ1210E-S - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural

I know they are not desgined for gaming but they do giva an amazing sound and its high quality brands.

A keyboard that not on your list but meet all your requirements - DUCKY DK9008 SHINE
    A full mechanical keyboard (Available in Blue, Brown and Black Cherry MX switches) with back lighting, no macro keys ect...very good quality also.

As for your Gaming Mouse Pad, I can't go past Razer Goliathus personally (have 2x Large-sized 444mm x 355mm, so they both lay left and right side under the keyboard, while providing heaps of area for my mouse and gaming pad), but then again it's all personal preference in your decision making for a mouse pad.
    Last edited by Clearea; 2012-04-03 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks very much for the reply Clearea, that keyboard does indeed look nice. =D

Another question: I'm trying to decide between a clip-on mic like the Zalman Zm-Mic1 or a table-top mic like the Logitech 980. Anyone have any input? I used to have a table-top years ago, but I'm sure technology has changed/improved.