15+ Year Old Account

Spec DPS says who?

Who or what is it that actually determines which specs are the highest/lowest dps? Is there a website that calculates this? Do they take the records of what each spec seams to be doing on boss fights? Is it word of mouth based of some rogue they ran into that sucked/rocked?

Deleted
    World of logs, sims and common sense.

"best" is usually mathematically crunched then people flock to it like lemmings, often not even bringing 90% of whats mathematically possible, thereby bringing it back in line with other specs
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

I think the best way to really see the difference is by looking at a statistical analysis of dps with a large sample size.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ does an excellent job of demonstrating that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    "best" is usually mathematically crunched then people flock to it like lemmings, often not even bringing 90% of whats mathematically possible, thereby bringing it back in line with other specs
    I could use this gun in this fight cause it will do the most damage but since im too cool to do whats most logical im going to use this cotton ball...... If you care about your dps you should chose the spec with the highest potential dps unless some other factor begs that you use another spec.

top dps spec is usually calculated by a simming program that uses a similar (bis) gearset and runs thousands of iterations of a 300 second fight using the mechanics/damage sources of each spec. the issue he's referring to is that for example, sub is slightly higher than combat mathematically, but is a lot harder to pull off well and more subject to screwing up. in this case, if you screw up the top spec's rotation, you may end up doing less damage than the second highest spec that you know how to play well. there's a level of comfort/experience involved as well, you can't switch specs willy-nilly and expect to be perfect right away. http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com contains one of these sim programs, and allows you to enter your own gearset to see where you fall in terms of dps between specs. keep in mind these programs don't account for mechanical gimmicks that may benefit certain specs far more than others.

Deleted
    and last but not least: the best spec is the spec that serves your raid best.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    and last but not least: the best spec is the spec that serves your raid best.
    That's actually one of the most important ones out there haha

So how bad is assassination right now? Is it so bad that I shouldn't raid with it at all even on normal difficulty?

Quote Originally Posted by Guilegamesh View Post
    So how bad is assassination right now? Is it so bad that I shouldn't raid with it at all even on normal difficulty?
    It is probably still one of the stronger specs in the game, it is just behind the other two for single target. Rogues are in a pretty strong spot now. As long as the player is decent, they are gonna find a good spot on the meters, regardless of spec (for most fights anyways).

With the 15% debuff, normal is so easy at this point you could probably play specless. Assassination is far more than adequate for normals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of first-edge hardmodes, assassination is viable. It'll really hurt* depending on composition and raid needs for specific fights (not having flurry for HM Warmaster, for example, or being able to stay in every black phase for H Morchok if you're at the enrage), but it's not behind by a huge amount outside mechanics. Use Shadowcraft to see how far you'd be behind another spec in your current gear for single target ignoring all fight mechanics.

At the 15% debuff, anything you could do before in Com/Sub is completely doable in assassination. If you needed the buff, you should probably still use the best spec.

Thanks for the comments guys, thats good to hear. I love assassination to death and was hoping I didn't have to change, could never get into combat and the idea that sub is not only viable but better than assassination is atill quite hard to believe. I might try out subtlety if I can figure out the damned rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Subtlety-Rogue <-- start here. Feel free to PM questions. I'll be updating the PvE sub guide if I end up staying MS sub-rogue for MoP.

I have heard that sub might be the hardest spec to play. And I have no opinion on that since ive been sub since i got my first talent point.
    I do not have the same feeling for combat. If you have that with assas im pretty sure you should stick with that.
    Leveling a new rogue as sub will help alot in mastering this spec (i recently did this for my disc priest after being asked in a hc raid team)

What i notice about Sub rogues is Cooldown timing, Vanish, feint etc are pretty vital and mastering a boss timewise gives me a big chunk of my dps
    I have tried Combat but my dps on ultrax is less then 4k more then as sub spamming hemo. Obviously i should pull way more as combat there since i have no khaled 403
    But i dont have the feeling for it.

I say, read the guide. get the spec/glyphs etc and keep running sub on dummies, 5 mans, quests etc untill you are completely confortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pareidolia View Post
    I think the best way to really see the difference is by looking at a statistical analysis of dps with a large sample size.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ does an excellent job of demonstrating that.
    Once upon a time Rotations were crunched heavily to be quite exact by theorycrafting and practical application, now we have priority based rotations which the same math and practical use is applied to. Now the major thing is what will produce larger numbers in a more stream lined and consistent manner. Realistically tho the highest possible damaging specs have either RNG to extremes or some more tricky timing which means yes 50k could be your theoretical dps but factor in difficulty of priority RNG and movement and it may be quite harder to accomplish. Assassination is behind decently @ bis levels but in any given fight your likely to pull closer to your theoretical max than say combat, and thats where Blizzard intends it to be @ bis level an amazing player will exceed heavily in 1 spec and others wont however as stated above people will see the possible and flock to that spec when in reality they may do better numbers overall as another spec. This does not apply to everything or everyone as we do sometimes have gimmicky fights where a glyph talent or ability not normally used for pure damage will be needed, as well as the fact some people do play for fun and raid seriously. IMO keep yourself open for change and do what is fun if it is not hindered completely like don't play frost mage and try to raid seriously it may be fun to you but it is a community so at least attempt to be productive.